PDA

View Full Version : Aloha :)

Spindrift
07-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Hello there. I'm from Oahu. Anyone else?

Nessadelle
07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I migrate to Maui in the summer and winter most years... But sometimes I get lost and end up in Scotland. :)

Spindrift
07-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Scotland is cool. Had a brother go to school there for a bit, although I've never visited. And I have friends in Edinburgh. I used to take classes in England.

Nessadelle
08-03-2011, 12:48 PM
How wonderful! I have only made it there once, but I stayed a bit, and the weather was lovely. <3

MermaidKallan
08-05-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm in Oahu, in the winter. Going back in December :)

AlohaMermaid
08-06-2011, 02:12 AM
I'm in Kona, on the Big Island.

Derek Broussard
09-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Oahu.

AlohaMermaid
09-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Nice to meet you, Derek. Do you swim in the ocean in your mertail? I swim with two other mermaids (Dana and Susan) here in Kona. We do shore-based swims (where we put our tails on at the beach and swim out), and also boat-based swims. We also do a bit of swimming pool mermaiding.

Rain Hauger
04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
what part of oahu are you from spindrift my family is in waianae!

Spindrift
04-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm in Honolulu, near Nu'uanu.

Rain Hauger
04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
really that is awesome my mother does a farmers market at Alo mona on saturdays and the farmers market at KCC my aunt and mom own naked cow dairy

Spindrift
04-09-2012, 12:30 PM
@Rain Hauger: That's cool. I'll have to check them out sometime.

Rain Hauger
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Defaintly all natural butter cheese and yogurt! Ask for sabrina! Tell a little mermaid sent you lol

Mermaid Harmony
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi everyone! My husband and I are being stationed in Honolulu come Sept. 8th. I have my monofin now, and get my tail in three months. Are there many mers in Hawaii? Can I meet up with some of you for a swim when I arrive? I would love to meet you, as currently I live in Iowa, and am the only Mer for miles and states.
Can't wait to swim in Hawaii!! This is going to be FANTASTIC!

Mermaid Harmony
09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Spindrift, would you please add me to the Pod of Hawaii? I got here on Saturday, and now am also in Honolulu, once my monofin ships with my stuff in the next few weeks would you like to go swimming here?

mermaidprecious
09-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Hi there, was wondering if I could also be added to this pod. I'm also from Hawaii, I live in Kane'ohe to be exact.

Ayesha
09-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Aloha! My name is Ayesha. I live on O'ahu. I lived in Waikiki for two years before moving to Maili, and now I am working on moving again much closer to school. My tail is on the mainland at the moment (I visit family and my boyfriend there in the summers), but it should be on its way back to me within the next week. May I join this pod please?

Mermaid Harmony
09-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't know about you ladies, but I feel a mer-meetup coming soon on O'ahu...

Ashe
09-22-2012, 08:08 PM
That sounds fun... :)

Ayesha
10-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I agree! That would be so much fun!!!

Spindrift
11-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Man a meetup would be really awesome! I actually can't add you guys to the pod myself :| But you should be able to join them through here: http://mernetwork.com/index/profile.php?do=editusergroups
I'm currently in college in NY so I won't be able to do anything in Hawaii for a while though :(

Coradion
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm on O'ahu as well, if you guys want to do a swim sometime, I have a lot of underwater photographer friends.

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
11-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Count me in as well! :)

Ayesha
11-18-2012, 04:32 AM
Wow! This is going to be so much fun! When should we plan on having this gathering? My tail is on the mainland at the moment. I made it using neoprene from JoAnns and entered it in the Sew Unique Contest. It ended up being one of the finalists, so I had to send it in for the final round of judging. :) I should get it back by mid-December though!

Mermaid Harmony
11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
How about first week of January, or the week after Christmas? I don't know what you guys are doing for the holidays, but we are just hanging out here, and that way Ayesha your tail will be back in time!

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
11-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Same here, just hanging out and working. I'm up for either of those weeks. You guys have a specific place in mind you'd like to go? I know a couple good merbeaches on the West side that aren't too crowded and can be really calm...just depends on conditions. :-)

Ayesha, how did your tail do in the final round of judging??

Mermaid Harmony
11-20-2012, 02:32 AM
Dec 28th? January 2nd? I have no clue, I got here 2 months ago, so I don't know of many great beaches, Stephanie or Coradion, you can pick.

spottedcatfish
11-20-2012, 03:33 AM
I'll be in Oahu in December for Christmas, visiting family. I plan to be there from the 16th of December to the 26th, the day after Christmas. Just letting you all know.

Ayesha
11-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Stephanie, I just got back word today that I placed 16th, and my tail was the most unique thing that they received. :) I have to fill out some declaration forms and send them in on Monday, and my tail should be headed back my way by the end of the week. Thank you for asking.
I actually just moved last month from Waianae to Kalihi! The west side is beautiful--especially at sunset!

I will be here for most of the holidays. I just won't be here from January 9th to 17th. While I am here I will just be working and hanging about. I'll have to let my boss know at least two weeks in advance if I want a day off, but she is really nice so I can just explain tomorrow and talk about dates later. I usually do that for my choir practices and events so I'm sure she'll understand. :)

spottedcatfish, I hope you have fun visiting your family! Maybe we'll see one another. :)

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
11-25-2012, 06:47 PM
How would December 17th work for everyone? I know it's the week before Christmas...is that too much for everyone with the holidays? That would be in the time frame that Ayesha and Spottedcatfish is on island and that is also my day off of work. Mermaid Harmony and Coradion? Looking forward to it!

Congrats, Ayesha, on the uniqueness of your tail! Can't wait to see it! My current tail is my "practice" tail to learn techniques for my next one (which is in it's very beginning stages). I work on the west side and I usually enjoy the weather and the setting. So beautiful! :-)

Ayesha
11-26-2012, 02:12 AM
I will talk to my boss about taking the day off, and I will cross my fingers that my tail will be back by then. :)

Haha. Thanks! I think for the sewing contest entries that it was unique. Otherwise it is quite plain. This was my first tail, so it was also my "practice" tail. I hope to make another one next summer or the next summer that will be much more ornate. :)

Very nice! I agree, it is so beautiful!

Coradion
11-26-2012, 05:16 AM
17th works for me!

Coradion
11-26-2012, 05:16 AM
I can have a couple photographers lined up if we like.

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
11-26-2012, 12:32 PM
That would be great to get photos and show others on the MerNetwork that meet-ups are possible and fun!

Ayesha
11-27-2012, 12:09 PM
I left a note for my boss for the day off. I am so excited! :D

Mermaid Harmony
11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm in! Where would we like to do it at?

Mermaid Harmony
11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
We could maybe eat lunch or something together, and then go swimming

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
12-01-2012, 08:59 PM
We may have to figure out the location as the time comes a little closer so we can see the conditions and whatnot. There are many nice areas I know of...but it tends to depend on the weather and swell that day. Also, how strong is everyone's swimming skills in their tails? That might be something to take into consideration also. :p So looking forward to meeting everyone! :)

Ayesha
12-01-2012, 11:56 PM
This is going to be so much fun! I have only gone swimming with my tail in my pool on the mainland, so in that aspect I might be a beginner. I have used my merfin/monofin a few times in the ocean without any problems though. I think of myself as a pretty decent swimmer, and it was not a difficult transition from 'normal' swimming to swimming with a tail for me. I also look forward to meeting everyone! :D

spottedcatfish
12-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Hey all, so Mermaid Stephanie contacted me yesterday, telling me about this event, The 17th works out ok, except for the fact that I will have just arrived in Hawaii, the day before, so I may be a bit jet lagged. So here are the facts as far as the vacation I will have out there. I am going to visit family. I have an Aunt and Uncle who live in Wiamea, on theNorth shore of Hawaii. I had messaged Stephanie, letting her know that:

1. I will not be renting a car when I am there, because I will be with my mother and family, so renting a car, seems a little bit pointless, as I will be spending time with them.

2. My mother and rest of my family do not know about my mermaid-y things.

So what I had suggested with Stephanie, is maybe a surprise for my Aunt and mother, perhaps a mermaid/man interaction/ introduction day. (maybe just on the beach if the swell is too strong)

As for being a strong swimmer, I am an average swimmer in my tail, however I'm not really comfortable about swimming in the ocean in Hawaii, especially in the winter time, as the swell can get big and very unpredictable.

So are we planning this on the 17th?

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
12-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey, I just found the PERFECT spot for our gathering on the 17th! It's near Waimanalo Beach on the Windward side of the island. Message me if you plan on going so we can exchange numbers and I can text you the location. It will also be helpful to have each other's numbers so you can call/text me if you get lost. It's off the beaten path (just a little), making it the perfect "mermaid lagoon!" Looking forward to it!

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
In addition, if you go to Facebook.com/MermaidLindaStephanie and "like" my page I will send everyone an invite over Facebook. :)

Ayesha
12-11-2012, 03:13 AM
I should find out on Friday if I have to work that day. (Late, I know!) I requested off, so I am really hoping that I am not working. I do not drive, so I will be taking the bus up there if I can go. :)

Mermaid Harmony
12-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Can you post the location on here?

Mermaid Harmony
12-23-2012, 01:54 PM
So super sorry about the 17th, for some reason in my mind the 17th was on Sunday, and then on Sunday our plan didn't work, and I wasn't able to go that day, and then I had work on Monday which turned out to be the 17th. I'm down for another meet-up when I know the actual day lines up with the day of the month. I look forward to it, and I hope the 17th was lovely.

Ayesha
12-24-2012, 04:21 AM
Another meet-up would be so much fun! Just give me about two weeks notice so I can request off from work. :)

spottedcatfish
12-24-2012, 04:50 AM
So super sorry about the 17th, for some reason in my mind the 17th was on Sunday, and then on Sunday our plan didn't work, and I wasn't able to go that day, and then I had work on Monday which turned out to be the 17th. I'm down for another meet-up when I know the actual day lines up with the day of the month. I look forward to it, and I hope the 17th was lovely.

Actually the 17th didn't work for me either, I was too jet lagged and the planning did not work out. But I met with Mermaid Stephanie a few days after, and had a nice swim. Unfortunately, I'll be leaving Hawaii on Christmas, but I hope you all have a good Christmas, and meet-up soon in the new year. Aloha, I hope to be back someday.

Ayesha
12-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Maybe next time we can all meet up and swim together! :) I hope you enjoyed your vacation, spottedcatfish! :)

Spindrift
12-15-2013, 02:39 AM

So I was just browsing the forum and I noticed this on the side and I got super excited - thought you guys would understand. I didn't think it warrants it's own thread though, so I just stuck it here.

Ooh, by the way, I'm planning on moving back around August, since I'm done with my MS.

Ayesha
01-02-2014, 10:21 PM
I love it! :)

MermaidLychee
01-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Kona/Waikoloa, Big Island!

Taz
01-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Hey mermaids~~ I live in British Columbia, but will be spending the next two months on the Big Island (Waikoloa Village). Anyone else from that area? I am SO JAZZED to swim in my tail, and have already scouted a few cool beaches.

MermaidLychee
01-22-2014, 03:52 AM
Hey mermaids~~ I live in British Columbia, but will be spending the next two months on the Big Island (Waikoloa Village). Anyone else from that area? I am SO JAZZED to swim in my tail, and have already scouted a few cool beaches.
ME! PM me!! I have a few days off I can totally go swimming with you, just let me know!!

Hotel pools are also neato to swim around in. My favorite is the Fairmont Orchid's beach with the turtles. :3c

sabinamermaid
04-05-2019, 05:51 AM
Aloha Oahu mers! Will anyone be around in early May?