PDA

View Full Version : Film: Troll Hunter

Nate Walis
01-23-2012, 08:26 AM
The mermaid and I sat down and watched this Norweigan film last night and I have to say that it's a great mix of shaky-cam horror and black comedy.

The closest things I can compare it to are the Blair Witch Project and Black Sheep, which might go some way to explaining the abiding strangeness of the film.

The plot centres around a group of students following a suspected bear poacher who agrees to them filming him so long as they in turn agree to use the footage to expose the cover up that he's been a part of for decades.

You can guess from the title what's being covered up...

Just thought that it might appeal to people around here with the patience to watch a foreign language film and an interest in the idea of mythical creatures actually exisiting in reality.

I realise the latter might be a long shot.

ShyMer
01-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I've been eyeing that film but I wasn't sure if it was worth watching... somehow I couldn't get past the title. Sounded kitchy. I kept thinking SMBC's Leprechaun Hunters vid...

Now that I've heard something about it I might go watch it though. It might be fun :)

Nate Walis
01-23-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure whether Norweigan film is having something of a literal period in terms of title or the distributers just thought there was no point in confusing the target audience with a clever title, but it's worth a watch.

There's some lovely moments, such as when the hunter admits that trolls can smell the blood of christians and the students point out one of them is a muslim and ask if the same logic applies: the hunter tells them he has no idea, but they'll find out for sure.

Merlene
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh! It's so fun that this film has gotten so popular! I really like it. Especially when they talk about the different types of trolls. Otto Jespersen is a famous Norwegian comedian. He's hilarious! Not in this movie, but on his shows. Anyway. I like that film, and I look forward to see a new Norwegian folklore film about huldra tonight, named Thale. I think that would be a movie worth seeing as well, for those interested in mythical creatures. Thale is the first movie ever about huldra. I remember Mum used to tell me stories about huldra when I was a child. I've always been very fascinated with huldra. Not as fascinated as I am with mermaids, but I like huldra. The Norwegian forest nymph :)

Mermaid Marla
02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
My hubby and loved that quirky little film! They did pretty darn good on the effects too!

Nate Walis
02-24-2012, 04:45 AM
The trolls in this are far more interesting than the ones in Skyrim.

ShyMer
02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
I actually enjoyed this one as well:)

Mermaid Mako
03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
It's on Netflix and I got as far as adding it to my instant queue. I wondered if it was good or not but didn't get around to watching it. I might just have to give it a try now. :D

Thanks for the recommendation!

Nate Walis
03-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Glad people liked it.