PDA

View Full Version : My half-done, first ever silicone work -

Mermaid Livou
02-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi Dears,
Ammm.. oh boy.. where to start.
I am making my first tail since a year, i was not posting about and not really documenting it properly coz I wasnt even sure if I can make it done, also in the process I find myself in a mermaid-hell instead of my expectations of an easy-flow of happy tailmaking :D So I will just throw it in:

Actually its almost done, "only" need to attach the monofin to the body, then will make some color retouching (waistline is too low and looks like all my butt is out).

I wanted to make a design wich is not too fairytail-ish and also not too fishy, my choice of color and pattern was heavily influenced by not having an airbrush set (also too early to buy one), so i choosed to make a turquoise-mineral-like pattern which I can imitate by pouring the silicone. Well, its not EXACTLY how I imagined but I am satisfied with it. On the small fins it came out more like a satellite pic from above sea :D
My fluke outline shape is inspired by one of Merbella's fluke, inner vains and detail are totally different tough, wavy like my small fins (like my hair ^^), tried to play with plasticity; but also its too big or too soft or I dont know, but it breaks as it leans from the monofin I put inside :/ (pics soon)

But I stuck here (as I stucked every time before any bigger new step)... After so much work I am so near to finish, yet so far...
Soo.. I just would appreciate any feedback, constructive critics, thoughts from You guys, to get me finish it and go to a first swim finally..
(oh and sorry for the messy post and pre-pics :$ )
*** ML

Mermaid Livou
02-25-2016, 01:48 PM

Merenneito Nerissa
02-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Wowww, that looks amazing :O

Vela
02-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Wow! Great colors! :)

Mermaid Alea
02-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Oh my gosh it looks super beautiful to me! :swoon:

What kind of monofin did you try to put inside of it? You might have to make a strip of silicone to add more room for you to move your fluke without it breaking. That shouldn't be too bad as you have most of the tail finished and you could even easily cut off the fluke and replace it with a new one if it isn't large enough. Hopefully someone who has made a silicone tail will jump in and give you some good advise. I really hope someone helps out because man oh man is this tail beautiful, and very unique too! - Edit - Okay I got confused I see the fluke isn't shown here. Hmm I don't know about the fluke then.

Did you hand sculpt each individual scale? How did you do those they are just so beautiful! I love the gold you added as well. This is just so very stunning! Did you previously have any sculpting experience?

I am not even sure I can make one and eventually I do want a silicone tail when I feel that I am ready for one. I am on the fence about buying one or making my own. I have all of these ideas for mine that make me feel like maybe it would be best if I made it myself, but at the same time like you said I am not sure if I can even do it. Seeing how extremely awesome your first silicone tail has turned out, it really gives me hope!

AniaR
02-25-2016, 02:46 PM
wow, I'm floored. amazing work.

I can't tell cuz the pics are far out, is this the pearlie mae method of individual scales or was it made as larger pieces? The painting detail is just amazing. OR ARE THEY SEQUINS?

Mermaid Hunter
02-25-2016, 02:57 PM
I gasped out loud; that's beautiful. The little silver highlights on the dark blue scale in particular, the contrast is so pretty.

Calizaire
02-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Holy WHAT?! I don't even understand what I'm seeing, it's freaking gorgeous!! :jawdrop:

Mermaid Alea
02-25-2016, 03:41 PM
I was snooping a bit on your profile hehe...Is this a closeup of your tail or is this something else: http://mernetwork.com/index/album.php?albumid=1562&attachmentid=35035

Mermaid Livou
02-25-2016, 04:11 PM
OMG, seriously, thank you for your reactions, im feeling so much more relieved ^^

Mermaid Livou
02-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Nerissa, thank You very much ^^

Mermaid Livou
02-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Thanx Vela, I do love 50 shades of turquoise :D

Mermaid Livou
02-25-2016, 05:44 PM
#Mermaid Alea,
I really appreciate ^^
I put a soft leaderfins finswimmer monofin inside. I was finswimming earlier so first I ordered one with medium stiffness, but found it too stiff for 'mermaiding'. The fluke I made is larger around the monofin, erm.. maybe got too large and heavy.. but i wanted to balance my look with it, since im tall and wide the same time :$
Yeah, me too i think need to attach a stripe at the ankles so it will be neough around. First I put the skin togethre, it was too loose so needed to cut up and put together again, now fits perfectly, except at the ankles.
I hand sculpted the scales from plastiline with a help of 5 different size shells, so i dont really sculpted, just inserted the clay into the shells (still it took weeks until made enough for a sheet). I wanted them to be smaller the way down.
In sculpting no previous experience ^^ But my profession - in wich im not working- is graphic designer
Yeah, I choose to make for myself, coz I thought ohh, 3 months and I will have mine :D haha so inoccent thought.. If I had the money I would order one but at this point I didnt (I totally understand now better why those tails are so expensive its hell of a work), and I still dont know if it worth all the time-input :D will see soon ^^
oh yes, that small pic in my profile is only a small testing piece, before i started out in big

#AniaR, thank You ^^ have to tell, you are also one of my inspirations (I guess for many others too)
The scales are individually sculpted, but put together in one sheet, then made a 1 piece resin mold, then colored silicone poured-painted into the negative, so its not painted on, its 'inside', and more blurry then detailed. Tough, want one sequin tail too, they are so glam :))

#Mermaid Hunter, glad u like it thank you ^^

#Calizaire, hehe, c'mon, thanx a lot :)

Little_Orca
02-25-2016, 06:20 PM
That tail is seriously gorgeous. I love everything about it. I am looking forward to seeing the complete tail and then some video of it coming to life. :)

Ps- Your avatar rocks, too.

Little_Orca
02-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Oh, I like how the fluke looks like it has veins in it. It makes it look so much more alive.

Pardon the two posts, you posted that fluke when I was trying the other one. XD

Mermaid Livou
02-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Here is the actual fluke, inspired by Merbella but in the clay pic u can see how different the surface is.. I hope it wont be an issue, I just found its outline fits most to the small fins, wich I made afore. Third pic is from summer, when the scales were multiplied :D and hand for scale of scales
I will make better quality photos soon; and really: thanx again, Little Orca You too, for nice words, will sleep now much better ^^
(woahh im messing with uploading sorry)

AniaR
02-25-2016, 07:08 PM
wow this is amazing.

Luna Dreamtide
02-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Here is the actual fluke, inspired by Merbella but in the clay pic u can see how different the surface is.. I hope it wont be an issue, I just found its outline fits most to the small fins, wich I made afore. Third pic is from summer, when the scales were multiplied :D and hand for scale of scales
I will make better quality photos soon; and really: thanx again, Little Orca You too, for nice words, will sleep now much better ^^
(woahh im messing with uploading sorry)
These attachments aren't working for me. But ohmygosh this looks amazing so far! You've done some gorgeous work!!

Mermaid Danielle
02-25-2016, 09:43 PM
This is beautiful!

Mermaid Alea
02-26-2016, 01:03 AM
In sculpting no previous experience ^^ But my profession - in wich im not working- is graphic designer

Okay that makes me feel better! I am currently in college for graphic design! :) I can't wait for you to be able to go swimming in your creation! It really is beautiful!

Merenneito Nerissa
02-26-2016, 03:07 AM
Same thing as Mermaid Leina, can't see the attachments :(

Mermaid Livou
02-26-2016, 10:48 AM
grr me and infotechik.. I hope its visible now

Mermaid Livou
02-26-2016, 10:51 AM
and yaaay for fellow graphic designer, enjoy Your studies ^^

Dancing Fish
02-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Wow all those little bitty scales must have taken you AGES!! That's gorgeous. :)

PearlieMae
02-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Wow! And everyone thinks I'M crazy! :crazy:

MermaidRaegan
02-26-2016, 11:43 AM
Those are some crazy cool scales!

Mermaid Clara
02-26-2016, 01:31 PM
grr me and infotechik.. I hope its visible now

wow! I love the combination of the different sizes of scales!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merman Lir
02-26-2016, 01:45 PM
really amazing work! the varying scale sizes really makes it look natural. how did you mix the gold and the blue colors? it almost looks like a resistance dye pattern.

Mermaid Livou
02-26-2016, 02:43 PM
#Dancing Fish - yeah, ages.. and it was a pain in the.. fingers :D
#PearlieMae - heheee, we are all a bit crazy right ^^
#Merman Lir - I poured first gold colored silicone randomly into the negative, then later the blue layers over it :)

Merciii for everyones encouragement :*

Reef Fish
02-26-2016, 05:33 PM
I absolutely love the amount of detail and work that has gone into this. You've done an amazing job as everyone else has said. Thanks for sharing it :)

Kait
03-06-2016, 11:31 PM
OOO so pretty, you should be so proud! :hail:

Sabrina the Selkie
03-07-2016, 12:39 AM
This is incredible.

Mermaid Livou
03-07-2016, 04:41 AM
Thank You all <3 #Kait, i dunno i have some feelings for that tail, it did not turned out exxxxatly how I imagined, but thought me a lot in exchange so im like okay with it :DD

I still need to 'close' the tail, where I couldnt fold over at the ankles, but everything else, retouches are finished, soo this week im gonna bring it to the WAAATEEEER :DD to a very nice little wellnes place here, last time I was there, I wanted to ask them if it is allowed or they can allow me to bring aa.. some kind of aa.. ermm.. huge swimming suit to trial? :D but then I didnt ask I was like I will just bring and deal with it :cool: So I will have a lil video too hopefully, i cant cut or put music, but something lil thing yeyy ^^
this is the place im going to: https://www.facebook.com/hertelenditermal/?fref=ts cute no? ^^
untill that, thanks for support, merlings have fun in whatever you do ^^

Trident True
03-07-2016, 08:13 AM
I don't know how i have missed this thread.... it fits you like a glove its perfect and as soon as I saw it my jaw dropped. the scales and colours present a real fish look and my guess feel to it. the arranging of scales from smallest to medium to large, just WOW. and the design is EXTREMELY UNIQUE as well as the colours. I love em. its you.
:cheerleader:

Aziara
03-07-2016, 10:09 AM
That rather audible 'thunk' sound you may or may not have just heard was my jaw hitting the floor. Ouch. My poor jaw.
This is really incredible. Can't wait to see it in the pool!

Spindrift
03-07-2016, 11:30 AM
This is absolutely gorgeous!!! Fantastic work, you have a lot to be super proud of! :D

Ashton
03-07-2016, 03:13 PM
all those tiny scales have to had been a bitch to trim and place! good job thought!

Mermaid Coralia
03-07-2016, 03:15 PM
OMG scales so tiny.

It's just gorgeous! I love everything about this tail.

Mermaid Livou
03-11-2016, 04:55 AM
:hail::cheerleader: for u guys <3 ^^
well mother nature interrupte my swimming plan this week so I plan it for next wednesday, until that, here is my top, I posted it to the 'show your tops' thread already but it belongs here as well ^^ have a great day all **

Luna Dreamtide
03-11-2016, 08:00 AM
I love those shells. They look really pretty.

Ashton
03-11-2016, 11:37 AM
I love the amount of color and detail on your fin there. wonderful.

Mermaid Livou
03-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Happy First Day of Spring everyone ^^
I'v been swimming.. euhh.. tried to :D Lot to improove on the tail, it looks ok from the outside but i feel the glitches wich makes the use not smoooooth enough arrrghh (after so much time -.- )..
Sooo, my mom made a video, if we can call it like one, haha, but atleast it looks like a real "mermaid spotted accidentally by paparazzi" footage :DD
here we go:

Its on my facebook page. Spa was empty, only poolguards there, they said "today already worth to came in to work" hehe
Tomorrow we will have sunny day so i will make some closeup, better quality pics; later attempting to record a better footage too :D

see ya tomorrow :*

edit: seems i cannot put link here, grr, one more time:
https://www.facebook.com/MermaidLivou/videos/vb.453119961550503/478050319057467/?type=2&theater

Azurin Luna
03-21-2016, 03:22 AM
Love the flow of the tail :D

Mermaid Coralia
03-21-2016, 09:30 AM
I love love those shells on that top! :swoon:

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mermaid Livou
05-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Heyy, long not 'seen', Im spamming my threads with my first pro vid, just coz it's with this tail (wich is fully done and altered too) in action ^^ cheers :*
https://www.youtube.com/watcthen)h?v=bKc1T8jlZu0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKc1T8jlZu0)

Also, do You guys mind if I spam here my next tail things too? Did not feel the need to open a whole new thread for it.. Im not really good in documenting, but if anyone have question I will try to remember back how I did/made things ;)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.482610455408785.1073741833.279557612380738&type=1&l=5ebb88ff52

Ashton
05-21-2017, 11:58 AM
very well done

Jadestone
05-21-2017, 05:10 PM
This tail is amazing!! I LOVE the random gold bits, I think you nailed that turquoise marbling :) The differently sized scales are really cool. And what a beautiful video!!! I'd never heard of Zakynthos Island but now it's on my bucket list to visit haha.

Please do share more of your work as you make it!! I'd love to see what you do next.

Mermaid Wesley
05-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Pretty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk