PDA

View Full Version : Panels and Preferences for Kelpstock 2017

Mermaid Wesley
02-25-2016, 05:40 PM
I'm doing a little research here. It would really be appreciated if you could all give me some feedback on the following questions.

What kinds of things do you want out of a mermaid convention?
What kinds of panels do you want to see? On what topics?
What are your concerns? What things do you want to make sure don't happen?

No blatant bashing of other cons please

Edit: Now that Kelpstock has been announced, this is the Suggestion Box! Give us your suggestions!

Calizaire
02-25-2016, 06:13 PM
:hail: Friggin' LOVIN' where this might be going...
I've never been to a mermaid convention so I don't know that my input would be of any value but:

What kinds of things do you want out of a mermaid convention?
-An opportunity to meet many mers from many places!
-Swimming! Ocean and beach time as well as pool!
-Vendors!
-Photography!

What kinds of panels do you want to see? On what topics?
-Hmmmm....I really can't think of any topics right now I'd personally like to see, but I do see mers here ask very often about entertaining children at parties. Perhaps someone who could speak to creating fun ideas for kids? I see a lot of questions to tailmakers here too. Maybe an "Ask a Tailmaker" panel Q&A kinda thing...

What are your concerns? What things do you want to make sure don't happen?
-My concerns might be pretty small things; like having an affordable option for lodging, or maybe the cost of attending/ traveling to the event. And if we're talking about SoCA, PARKING would be something I'd wonder about.

Hope this helps!!:)

Ashton
02-26-2016, 01:33 AM
MORE INFORMATION TO BE COMING SOON!

Mermaid Wesley
02-26-2016, 01:35 AM
Copy pasted from the new thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?12762-SoCal-Mermaid-Convention-Kelpstock-2017):

What does the west coast have? Sun, sand, surf, and coming June 2017, an all new Mermaid Convention!

Kelpstock is an mermaid expo starting up in sunny Southern California. It will encompass mermaids, swimming, modeling, and much more.
One of our very special guests that we have lined up for you is the one and only: Thom Shouse! The artist behind “Splash!” and many other on screen mermaids. Some may even say that he started the whole mermaid movement! We have waves of other amazing activities scheduled for those who attend: exhibit hall, panels, swim meet-ups, mermaids, and much more!!

Like us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/KelpStock/) and follow us on Twitter and Instagram @Kelpstock for updates, exclusives and more!

We hope to see you there!

Mermaid Wesley and Team Kelpstock

mermaidopal
02-26-2016, 02:26 AM
Panel ideas I would like to see:
Breath hold workshop (w/ certified free diving teacher)
Mermaid modeling (underwater and above water)
How to start as a professional mermaid (getting first gig, working with kids etc)
Underwater makeup workshop (interactive would be great)
General swim fitness info, how to improve your dolphin kick, maybe how to do tricks like bubble rings and flips?
Something to involve the kiddies would be great! (like register to swim with mermaids as has been done at other events)
In keeping with NC Merfest, some kind of masquerade/gala at the end would be great!
In addition, photography sessions in a pool for an additional price would be awesome!
These are just some ideas off the top of my head-- if i think of more i'll let you know!

Merman Storm
02-26-2016, 09:32 AM
You may want to consider current issues. Right now, a big issue is "Where to swim", mainly due to tail bans.What can a mer, or the community, do to get tail bans removed?

Ashton
02-26-2016, 10:46 AM
You may want to consider current issues. Right now, a big issue is "Where to swim", mainly due to tail bans.What can a mer, or the community, do to get tail bans removed?

Actually in Southern California, I haven't had a problem with the 'tail ban' issue. But I have always called them before hand and explained what my tail is and that I am a Cert. Lifeguard as well. I have had to take my tail down to them and show then what it is but after that, 9 times out of 10 they are ok with it.

But as for the convention, we are planing on having a mermaid swim meet up as well as waves of other great things!

Merman Storm
02-26-2016, 02:07 PM
I live in Southern California, and I have had ban issues. So have many, many others all over the world. It is an issue, just look at the threads on this forum.

Mermaid Wesley
02-26-2016, 02:34 PM
I live in Southern California, and I have had ban issues. So have many, many others all over the world. It is an issue, just look at the threads on this forum.

We are conscious of ban issues. We are in communication with venues and we haven't had problems yet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk