PDA

View Full Version : Fluke mold help

Iaira
03-10-2016, 12:29 PM
I've been looking through posts for a while and I can't seem to find an answer, I'm sure if I dug through some of the tail making journey threads I might find it, but there are sooo many! <3

1)How thick should your clay sculpt be for your fluke?

I've got the base layer of clay down and I'm getting ready to add details before I make the mold. But my layer of clay is thin, like REALLY thin, maybe a cm thick in the center top (the part going over the monofin) and even less than that towards the edges. Is that thick enough to make my fiberglass mold? I'm just super worried that if I cast it as is it'll be too shallow to make a decent silicone fluke. Please advise!

2) Drainage holes; how do?

My design has ridges that I was planning on turning into my drainage tubes. But now that I think about it if I fill them with silicone they would be solid and not tubes. I'd be afraid that placing straws or the like under these solid ridges while I seal the two halves together, would make my fluke bumpy. Or if I just don't put silicone in those spots that the fluke would be too tight and wouldn't drain.

If I want to turn my molded ridges into tubes, is there a way to pour/paint the silicone that they would come out hollow? Could I do a layer or two then add a straw into the mold and then add more silicone, and take the straw out of the silicone once the two sides are together?

Ugh that's probably stupid and ramble-y. I hope I made sense.