PDA

View Full Version : Most recognizable Ariel?

Mer-Crazy
03-11-2016, 12:52 AM
Okay so besides the obvious green tail with purple clam-shell bra I was wondering which Ariel costume people consider the most recognisable? The green dress that wasn't in the movies but seems to be the theme park dress or the pink Movie dress.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/c/cf/Arieltransparentdesign.gif/revision/latest?cb=20141028035833
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/f/fe/Ariel_pink_gown.png/revision/latest?cb=20120722061210

Felicia
03-11-2016, 01:40 AM
Personally I like the green more and see it a lot more as well! That pink dress and her red hair just look awful together imo

Loralei
03-11-2016, 01:49 AM
I love the seafoam. As a person who frequents Toys R US, almost all branding for Ariel is the seafoam green now. Yet the hair on the pink dress is way more ionic.

Mermaid Jaffa
03-11-2016, 02:03 AM
Green dress stands out more.

Ariel-Starfish
03-11-2016, 03:12 AM
Greeen! Here is my cosplay from last year:

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv65/LaraCroftFanneke22/Facts%202015/83AB67F1-C6FB-4609-9195-2723C2C4D5CD_zpsqgzjsdtc.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/LaraCroftFanneke22/media/Facts%202015/83AB67F1-C6FB-4609-9195-2723C2C4D5CD_zpsqgzjsdtc.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv65/LaraCroftFanneke22/Facts%202015/590D1D3E-AD59-45EF-ABBB-F0EF6224ED7C_zpsuqmuljkc.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/LaraCroftFanneke22/media/Facts%202015/590D1D3E-AD59-45EF-ABBB-F0EF6224ED7C_zpsuqmuljkc.jpg.html)

Mer-Crazy
03-11-2016, 03:21 AM
Super pretty Ariel! Haha. Did you make it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leahroseFTW
03-11-2016, 03:33 AM
I think the green is more recognizable, for sure, but I actually really love her normal outfit from Kiss the Girl, with the blue skirt and black corset? I know it's not an option but have to throw a little love that way, haha.

Mer-Crazy
03-11-2016, 04:26 AM
That's actually me favourite one haha. But it's for a work thing and they want the more princessy look and I'm a little out of touch with the kiddies so I wasn't sure which was more iconic. I'd love to do Belle, because I love her look and I suit her the most but I can't find a yellow gown I like (that isn't crazy expensive).

Ariel-Starfish
03-11-2016, 04:43 AM
Super pretty Ariel! Haha. Did you make it?

i wish I had made it myself! It's ordered from Angel Secret.

Mer-Crazy
03-11-2016, 04:50 AM
Well it looks fabulous <3

Luna Dreamtide
03-11-2016, 05:01 AM
My favourite would be her sail dress to be honest... But that might not be very recognisable as Ariel.
Firefly Path once made a super cool take on it though - for Traci Hines Part of Your World music video...

Merley
03-11-2016, 09:10 AM
I think her blue day dress and the pink ball gown are easily the most iconic. At least in my mind. The wedding dress is also pretty recognizable with the puff sleeves. I don't think the sparkly dress she emerges from the water with at the end of the movie gets enough attention as far as cosplay is concerned. That'd be cool to see. Not sure how great a choice it would be for a kids' event though. I'd probably stick with the pink gown. It'd be more recognizable as Ariel than the blue one since her current evolution still features her in that dress or a green variation of it than the blue day dress. I also love her little pink nightie, that would just be a cute cosplay idea.

Rett
03-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Seeing as I am a doll collecting Disney buff, I thought I would enlighten y'all with a few fun facts ;) Did you know that there was a specific reason for Ariel's dress changing colors from pink to green? The reason was that in the year 2000 the Disney Princess line and its merchandise were released. Prior to that, any princess movies or items were only for their specific movie in the cinematic universe with no correlation. However, that year the Disney marketing team decided that they could group all the princesses from their movies together and push them together to make more merchandise overall and brand the 'Disney Princesses' as its own theme. With this theme, the marketing team thought that each princess would have to stand out from each other. This, however, posed an issue. Several of the princesses shared the same dress color. That simply could not do if they were trying to stand out! The first change (and the easiest) was to change Aurora from Sleeping Beauty's dress. Aurora, Jasmine and Cinderella shared blue for their dress color. The team decided, though, that because Jasmine didn't really wear a dress, and because it was a much brighter turquoise blue, that it had a decent enough contrast from Cinderella's powder blue gown. But what about Aurora? Well, because Aurora's dress kept swapping colors mid movie from blue to pink (It was blue for a majority of the screen-time, and several of the larger scenes occur with her wearing blue, so blue had been her defined dress color to they Disney team up to that point), the marketing team found it easiest to simply transfer her to pink. Only, Ariel was also pink! They were posed, once again, with the same problem. Though they are different shades, they dresses themselves were too similar to stand out from one another. The team felt that changing Aurora to an entirely different color unlike anything from the movie would be strange, so Ariel would have to change. Ariel being a mermaid was already the biggest part of her movie though, and she was far more recognizable in her tail than in a dress. Because of this, the team smartly decided to change her dress to match the color of her more recognizable tail. And viola! Ariels seafoam green dress was born!

Of the more princess-y options I prefer her green dress, and definitely thing that, due to the merchandising, it is much more recognizably Ariel.

AniaR
03-11-2016, 11:24 AM
they use the green dress in advertising way more than the pink. to me she'll always be pink or the little french dress she wore (black corset blue dress) but I SEE the green way more

Saelyyia
03-11-2016, 12:11 PM
I have to say that yeah, the kiddies do love the green dress (I do princess parties so I'm pretty in touch with what the guppies recognize) so If you have to pick one of her formal dresses I would say green. But personally I am with Raina, I much prefer the classic Ariel dresses. As a matter of fact i use the kiss the girl ensemble for the parties just because it is easier to movie it that a full ball gown. Plus the little ones just love that big bow!

This is a picture of mine (minus the super voluminous wig I use for parties, because this was my birthday and so I just left my natural hair for it)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160311/5d4eed0f20eef68f6a9d5a0a315c4e5a.jpg

Mermaid Tory
03-11-2016, 12:47 PM
I have to say that yeah, the kiddies do love the green dress (I do princess parties so I'm pretty in touch with what the guppies recognize) so If you have to pick one of her formal dresses I would say green. But personally I am with Raina, I much prefer the classic Ariel dresses. As a matter of fact i use the kiss the girl ensemble for the parties just because it is easier to movie it that a full ball gown. Plus the little ones just love that big bow!

This is a picture of mine (minus the super voluminous wig I use for parties, because this was my birthday and so I just left my natural hair for it)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160311/5d4eed0f20eef68f6a9d5a0a315c4e5a.jpg
ive done princess parties in the green dress as well with a company tho now I freelance and was wondering about just using this dress. Do the kids ever seem disappointed that you're not wearing a ball gown? Or the parents were expecting you to wear something bigger and glittery?

Saelyyia
03-11-2016, 01:00 PM
The kids love this dress without all the glitter. I think part of it is because I have a very full vintage crinoline underneath it and I made the skirt very very full so I can still spin and get the "princess effect". Also little girls are a sucker for the big bow. The other part is that in this dress I carry my antique dingle hopper and sensation rides on my shoulder a lot. The kids see the dress and immediately bust out singing kiss the girl a lot.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160311/427b2295c89b0aaf3f19999d6bf17537.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160311/8d68268ec859822f6760ec309cef7434.jpg

mermaid_ashes
03-11-2016, 02:43 PM
At my company (were party entertainers) we use the green dress, this is my version of it. When the merchandise for the the redesign first came out the green dress was slow to catch on. But now most party company's use it and all the dolls and merch have her in the green dress. Plus it looks great with ariels coloring.

My 2nd favorite is the the "Kiss the Girl" Dress. We use it at events where the green dress is hard to maneuver in or we pair it with Belle in her "Town" dress. This is my kiss the girl look.

Mermaid Lied
03-11-2016, 05:27 PM
I love both of the dresses, but I think the green one suits Ariel better. :)

Mermaid Wesley
03-13-2016, 04:03 PM
I think pink but both would work im sure

PearlieMae
03-13-2016, 04:21 PM
I totally get why Disney Merketing changed Ariel's dress to green as being part of her overall colorway. I doubt that guppies would call out a Princess Ariel on it in person. To me, it would be the hair that made the iconic statement.

SeaGlass Siren
03-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Really? For me it was the dinglehopper :P

Mermaid Fenicia
03-13-2016, 06:00 PM
or my Flounder-plushie :)
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=36061&stc=1
even in my golden tail

Mermaid Jaffa
03-14-2016, 12:03 AM
Nah. Not the hair color. People have said I was Ariel even when I had a black tail with a black swimsuit on!

Most parents just associate tail wearing with Ariel.

My beach swim few weeks back, a Dad carrying his little girl, came up to me and said, "Oh she just wanted to say hi to Ariel".

We both knew I wasn't anywhere close to Ariel's colors, so I replied, "No. I'm not Ariel. I'm Ariel's Chinese cousin from Singapore." Little girl was still happy with that.

Ashton
03-14-2016, 01:25 PM
In my opinion the Ariel in her blue 'walking around' dress is the most iconic for me other than her tail.

I get why Disney changed her dress to green, - to match her tail and to have a different color than Aurora (normally shown in her PINK dress).

Trying to keep each character to a color scheme so kids don't confuse them. Which is why Aurora gets the pink dress rather than her blue one- it gets mistaken for Cinderella. Not because of their faces/dress patterns but because of the colors.
Blonde hair and a blue dress = Cinderella
Blonde hair and a pink dress = Aurora

Bright red hair and a green outfit = Ariel
Dark crazy red hair and a dark blue/green outfit= Merida

Those 2 sets of characters are most commonly mistaken for each other. Which is one of the reasons you will not see the face characters together (other than in parades).

SeaGlass Siren
03-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Here's what I don't get: why didn't they use one of ariels dresses in the second movie? :/ or the purple gown at the end of the movie?

SeaGlass Siren
03-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Also... How come there are no Disney princesses with a purple dress? Why is it pink or blue or green?

Ashton
03-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Rapunzel has a purple / pink dress so does Sofia (from a disney channel show).
As well as the Mulan face character has a pink outfit.

Ashton
03-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Other variations ocure, but these are the most common colors of the In-park Face Characters.

Snow White = yellow/blue/red
Cinderella = blue
Aurora = pink
Belle = yellow
Ariel= green
Jasmine = teal pants
Tiana = light green
Elsa = baby blue/white
Anna = Blue/teal/burgundy
Princess Sofia = purple/white
Wendy = blue
Alice = blue/white
Mulan = pink/red/dark blue
Pocahontas = tan
Meg = lavender
Jane = yellow

Ashton
03-14-2016, 06:47 PM
And that doesn't even include the 'Villains' outfits.
The least common color is Orange.

The reason they most commonly use the outfit from the first movie is because about 99.9 % people see the 1st movie first, and then recognize that character from the first movie outfit- keeps it easy for kids. Its kinda like how cartoons have characters where the same clothes day in and day out.

SeaGlass Siren
03-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Oh the princess dress colour thing was more directed at the marketed princesses. (Wendy, Meg, Jane, Alice and other of the ousted Disney princesses I know what colours they have :P ) though I did seem to forget about rapunzel and Princess Sofia.

and don't even get me started on Mulan she is supposed to be in her battle armour and carry a sword ��

Saelyyia
03-14-2016, 07:36 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160314/c272ddda4e620d6841b94e206fd094a5.jpg

SeaGlass Siren
03-14-2016, 09:54 PM
I remember when they had that Mulan doll that allows you to cut her hair with her sword. It was a doll made out of bad assery.

malinghi
03-15-2016, 02:17 AM
Here's what I don't get: why didn't they use one of ariels dresses in the second movie?

That whole movie was unbelievably lazy. I just don't think anyone cared. I assumed that at far as the higher ups at Disney were concerned those movies didn't exist, and were given less importance than a Disney Channel original movie. It's really annoying too, cause there are so many people who are so passionate about these characters. Imagine what anyone here would do if they were given the job of making an original movie with Ariel.

Princess Pearl
03-15-2016, 02:24 AM
Weirdly, I've had kids ask if I'm Melody from Little Mermaid II. Which is weird because I'm blonde an my tail is purple, and Melody has black hair and a red tail.

Mer-Crazy
03-15-2016, 02:47 AM
Well as you can probably tell I really like the second movie and Melody. As a kid I identified with her much more than Ariel, even if the movie and songs were suckier. It makes me really sad she doesn't get a disney face character.

SeaGlass Siren
03-15-2016, 07:57 AM
I loved the little mermaid two video game on playstation :P the background music was awesome.
anyway I'm convinced their marketing team sucks

Ashton
03-15-2016, 12:09 PM
I loved the little mermaid two video game on playstation :P the background music was awesome.
anyway I'm convinced their marketing team sucks

OOOOO I remember the Little Mermaid Gameboy game! that thing was so hard! - no save points what so ever and you only had 3 health the whole time.

Rett
03-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Oh, haha, not sure if it is the same one, but I had a collective disney princesses game for my game boy that had a little game with three levels for each princess. Ariels was always my favorite. Even if I could never make it to the third level, her second level with Ariel and the trident was the best :lol:

Waves of Ash
12-18-2016, 07:35 PM

I actually cosplay as Ariel at Phoenix Comicon every year! I personally think that her town outfit is the most recognizable since she wears it for most of the film!