PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my mer name??

Mermaid Saphira
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
^ooooo....um. I did not know that! I still like the name though but I'll give it some more thought before I change (if i change)

Azurin Luna
01-25-2012, 10:21 PM
I like my name as it is, I used it for games too, so it kinda grew onto me. I for one really dislike my real name... which is Esther. Mostly because it is so common here, I always had classes with at least one other Esther in it. Besides that, I always got weird looks towards me when they told the story of Esther from the Bible

Mermaid Saphira
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
To me, Aqua doesn't seem very original.
I have seen Aqua on many other sites and
I feel the need to change my mer name to
be more unique. Here is what I have in mind....

* Mermaid Saphira :(
* Mermaid Celeste
* mERMAID Celestia
* Or I go back to Mermaid Aqua

What are your thought, opinions?

Mermaid Sirena
01-26-2012, 05:21 PM
When I first joined the merworld I was devastated to realize my dream name Sirena (or similar) was very common, I thought about changing my name several times (still do on occasion). I didn't feel it was very original either, but the point of a mersona is to be an expression of who your mermaiding self is. If you ARE Mermaid Aqua then stay with it and find your own unique way to set yourself apart from all the others.

Mermaid Lorelei
01-26-2012, 05:33 PM
There are plenty of people running around with the same names. Whose to say the same thing doesn't happen with merfolk? Personally, I think mermaid aqua is cute.

Mermaid Saphira
01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
^ That you!

I like Mermaid Sapphira the most! I feel it expresses my uniquness, but I've gotten so use Mermaid Aqua! I'm soooo lost :(

Mermaid Sirena
01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
If you could start over and be one of the first members of the community when no one had any of your names. Which would you choose?

happyguava
01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Hehe, I was deabting for ages whether I should use my real name (Shelley) or decide on a mer name because there's already a Mermaid Shelly who is super awesome and I didn't want to step on fins. So I decided on the name Nerissa, which I was pretty happy with, only to discover that there is in fact another Mermaid Nerissa floating around :P My point being, no matter what name you decide on, there's no guarantee it's not already being used/will be used by someone else. I don't really see it as a problem - even with similar names, we're all pretty unique as mers.

Mermaid Saphira
01-26-2012, 05:56 PM
^ Absolutley but I just don't know what do do...I will think about it a little more, maybe try it out while in speech but other that I will not change my name until I'm positive its want I want and like :)

Anita Mermaid
01-26-2012, 07:04 PM
I have this inner monolouge as well. Anita? Freckled Kisses? Starfish? BLEGH. I don't know.

Mermaid Saphira
01-26-2012, 07:16 PM
^ I like you as freckled kisses! It's cute and expresses your personality :)

Anita Mermaid
01-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Aww shucks. Thanks! :$

Neria
01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
I was Marina long before I joined the mercommunity. When I was swimming in the pool in my mermaid tail I just was Marina. Then I joined meryuku and discovered the was another Marina (the fire eating one, I think she was at the mercon) and I kinda freaked out because I thought my mermaid name had been so original. I debating over changing my name so I could be the one and only, but in the end I stuck with Marina because I feel I am Marina, even if someone else is too. Lets say your name is Ann, you wouldn't change your name just because someone else you know is named Ann too. Anyways, my opinion is you should stick with Aqua.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
How does naming yourself after the dragon from Eragon express your uniqueness? Sapphira's overused as well. I say make your name (whichever you settle on) your own.

Mermaid Saphira
01-26-2012, 08:53 PM
^ What?? I honestly have no Idea who that is! I have never heard of the name Sapphira and I feel it goes well with my mermaid persona (think it sounds like sapphier) ((BTW srry about the spelling))

Elinye
01-26-2012, 10:31 PM
I think that if you really feel it's time for a change, then go for it, but if it would make you sad to let go of Mermaid Aqua, then keep it. Elinye wasn't always my handle; I adopted it after I felt I had outgrown a former name. I feel like that's who I am, and it would make me sad to let go of it, even if a dozen other people had the same one.

New York Mermaid
01-26-2012, 11:01 PM
I was mermaid rose for a while and I said there quite a few mermaidrose's out there, But I decided on Lanai. I dont know why but it felt like the right name for me. Mermaid Aqua is a cute name, I say keep it.

But if you feel you want to change your name, I say steer away from the common names- Look through some hawaiian or Japanese names.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Ah, my mistake... the name of Eragon's dragon is Saphira (and she herself is named for another dragon named Saphira), not Sapphira. Eragon is a popular fantasy series of books that has received public and critical acclaim (though the second book was pretty annoying, and the first one isn't really all that unique as far as background, story, or character development goes). Eragon also became a not-very-good movie. http://inheritance.wikia.com/wiki/Saphira

It turns out Sapphira was an early follower of Jesus who, in the acts of the apostles, was apparently killed for either not donating enough or lying that she and her husband had donated all of their worldly possessions... one of the really weird parts of the Bible.

Mermaid Saphira
02-19-2012, 05:41 PM
:p Scratch Saphire off of my list...someone on here already has it *sad sigh* was so leaning toward that one

Gem Stone
02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Don't think about how many other people in the comminuted have your name. My real name is pretty common when spoken but my mother misspelled it just a little to make it unique (on purpose). If you REALLY like a certian name, whether it be Aqua or Opal or River or anything, than don't change it. Make people go this perosn or that one? That one of course! Don't change cause others want you to either, that won't make you happy. Just be yourself. It took me a while to find my mer name and now, I won't change it, even if I could. Find out what you like and fits your mersona and that's what you stick with. Also, if you're that worried about it being the same, misspell it a bit so it's just that much different

Mermaid Saphira
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
^ Now that u mention it, I kinda like Opal (my birthstone) might have to think about that one ;) Thanx for the tips

Gem Stone
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Ur welcome

Siren of the Sea
03-03-2012, 03:08 PM
It turns out Sapphira was an early follower of Jesus who, in the acts of the apostles, was apparently killed for either not donating enough or lying that she and her husband had donated all of their worldly possessions... one of the really weird parts of the Bible.

If I'm correct, it was entirely optional for them to donate; their sin was lying that they had donated it all when they had held back a portion. Look it up but I believe it was NOT because they didn't give enough money. :)

Siren of the Sea
03-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I was so excited when I made up my mermaid name, Meriel Enna which translated to something like [Meriel] Shining Sea [Enna] Light(s) (using my made-up mermaid idea that mers went by the second name; so I was Enna). Then I found out that someone else had Enna as a nickname. Then I read a book where a girl's name was Enna. BUT I have yet to see a Meriel Enna. :D

Originally I WAS Meriel Enna, and the novel I wrote was my story (not like my RL story, my mermaid-persona story). But then I was like 'maybe I should change it'...You know what? I'm not going to: I AM MERIEL ENNA. Oh yeah. :) I'm going to keep it. Whatever happens with my novel. :)

And nobody ever said you couldn't put on one tail and be Mermaid Aqua, and put on another and be Mermaid Opal, etc. Meriel Enna can be my original but I could make up others too! Like, one day I want to have a Syrena (from PotC) costume- or at least the PotC type. With arm fins. :D So I could make up another bio- oh! I could be Syrena's younger sister! Lol I just remembered I used that phrase somewhere. XD And now it comes true. :P