PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid in a Youtube Commercial

Shyren Shey
04-03-2016, 06:30 PM
I follow a bunch of random beauty bloggers on youtube and was surprised today to see a pretty pink tail in a youtube video on my dashboard.

I'm just wondering who made the tail they used?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9X2EAsMOo

Mermaid Jaffa
04-04-2016, 03:17 AM
No idea who made it either but that tail is really pretty!

Mer-Crazy
04-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Has a kind of mertailor feel maybe?

Edit: Yeah it's mertailor, it's on his FB page.

Shyren Shey
04-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Has a kind of mertailor feel maybe?

Edit: Yeah it's mertailor, it's on his FB page.
Ah, now I know. I like the shade of pink, but too bad it's from them.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mer-Crazy
04-05-2016, 12:52 AM
Ah, now I know. I like the shade of pink, but too bad it's from them.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
He does good work when it's a high-profile client. Too bad he doesn't expend as much effort into every tail he makes.

Theobromine
04-05-2016, 02:21 AM
Even though it's a high-profile client...in that close-up shot he posted, you can see that the surface texture of the scales looks gritty. It's not smooth or shiny. It looks like there's sand mixed in with the paint. I've noticed that in every single close-up picture of a mertailor tail I've ever seen. I don't know why more people don't notice or comment on it....to me it's pretty obvious and very unattractive. It's not like it's hard to get a smooth finish on silicone.

Mermaid Wesley
04-05-2016, 02:26 AM
i think its his molds... like they're porous or something... or maybe it has to do with how he's airbrushing the tails.a cheap spray-gun perhaps? im not sure at all.

Theobromine
04-05-2016, 02:33 AM
All of the above, perhaps? Regardless...his scales are some of the least realistic ones I've ever seen :P I'd be embarrassed to post a picture of my work if it looked like that. Sorry if that makes me sound like a dick, but I believe that if you're going to be promoting your work to professionals and celebrities like it's some high-end shit, you should make sure your work looks professional. Merfailor has clearly never bothered to do that though, and instead of taking criticism as an opportunity to improve himself, he just attacks everyone (come at me, bro :P )

PearlieMae
04-05-2016, 08:52 AM
All of the above, perhaps? Regardless...his scales are some of the least realistic ones I've ever seen :P I'd be embarrassed to post a picture of my work if it looked like that. Sorry if that makes me sound like a dick, but I believe that if you're going to be promoting your work to professionals and celebrities like it's some high-end shit, you should make sure your work looks professional. Merfailor has clearly never bothered to do that though, and instead of taking criticism as an opportunity to improve himself, he just attacks everyone (come at me, bro :P )

Brava! Although, he won't come at you, he'll post some whiny 'I'm a shiny little drop of love in a sea of haters' meme, superimposed over bad stock photography of a pretty sunset.

AniaR
04-05-2016, 11:00 AM
I find his tails looks like they're made of foam...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Theobromine
04-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Brava! Although, he won't come at you, he'll post some whiny 'I'm a shiny little drop of love in a sea of haters' meme, superimposed over bad stock photography of a pretty sunset.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Mermaid Arabella
04-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Forget the mermaid tail - can we talk about how God-awful that commercial is as a whole?!?!

Theobromine
04-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Yes, yes we can.

malinghi
04-05-2016, 02:40 PM
I find the product name offensive. Not cause I'm offended by sex, but because I'm offended by hyperbole.

Mermaid Arabella
04-05-2016, 03:04 PM
I find the product name offensive. Not cause I'm offended by sex, but because I'm offended by hyperbole.

:rotfl::rotfl:

Plus, let's be honest: unless the product literally causes an orgasm, no cosmetic will ever be "better than sex"

Shyren Shey
04-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Aw, I'm actually really fond of Kandee (the makeup artist with red hair in the commercial), she seems like a sweet lady, and Too Faced is currently my favorite cosmetics brand. I really love the Better Than Sex mascara, but haven't tried the waterproof yet. I agree that the tail surface does not look good close up, but I'm still fond of the color which is similar to the pink shade of the original "Better Than Sex" packaging.

Unpopular opinion I guess. oh well. :$

Plus, let's be honest: unless the product literally causes an orgasm, no cosmetic will ever be "better than sex"

I wish sex = orgasms or was as simple to obtain as buying mascara.

Theobromine
04-05-2016, 04:08 PM
:rotfl::rotfl:

Only chocolate can make that claim :D

Hang on....maybe those mascaras are actually vibrators!! That would actually be really clever!

Theobromine
04-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Oh snap! I knew it! (http://www.amazon.com/The-Screaming-Studio-Mascara-Vibe/dp/B000CD1V5I)

PearlieMae
04-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Oh snap! I knew it! (http://www.amazon.com/The-Screaming-Studio-Mascara-Vibe/dp/B000CD1V5I)

Damn! Beat me to it!

Keiris
04-05-2016, 05:04 PM
I think the girl in the commercial is VERY pretty and the concept is a sweet take for a waterproof mascara. As far as naming the product, "Better Than Sex," all I can think is that the people polled for that question couldn't have been very demanding. :p

Echidna
04-05-2016, 06:01 PM
They clearly also didn't think of the people for whom sex is about as desirable as a root canal treatment when choosing that line :p

Shyren Shey
04-05-2016, 07:18 PM
They clearly also didn't think of the people for whom sex is about as desirable as a root canal treatment when choosing that line :p
Then I suppose it would be better than sex for them.

PearlieMae
04-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Aw, I'm actually really fond of Kandee (the makeup artist with red hair in the commercial), she seems like a sweet lady, and Too Faced is currently my favorite cosmetics brand. I really love the Better Than Sex mascara, but haven't tried the waterproof yet. I agree that the tail surface does not look good close up, but I'm still fond of the color which is similar to the pink shade of the original "Better Than Sex" packaging.

Unpopular opinion I guess. oh well. :$

I wish sex = orgasms or was as simple to obtain as buying mascara.

I was amused by it...it wasn't Super Bowl-caliber advertising, the tail was better than most I've seen in commercials, and I like the color.

If ANY mascara is - ahem - "better than sex", then you are definitely doing it wrong! As for it being a bad name, please...it's kind of clever, and I'm speaking from the point of view of having to argue with a product manager who wanted to name a nail polish "Heaven's Gate", right after the mass suicides of a cult that went by the same name. :headdesk:

I'm not familiar with the brand or the actress. I was mildly annoyed at first when I thought Eric had expanded into the cosmetics biz (which I wouldn't put past him) to cash in on the current mermaid trend, but when I realized he just made the prop, it made no difference to me.

I'm sorry you're semi-grouchy, and the cause...I couldn't deal with THAT!

Shyren Shey
04-05-2016, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry you're semi-grouchy, and the cause...I couldn't deal with THAT!

Hah, yeah. It's not necessarily how I expected my life to go, but he's my best friend and loudest cheerleader. We get along in every other way for the last 14 years. I just mostly have to handle that bit myself unfortunately.

AniaR
04-05-2016, 08:39 PM
I think the girl in the commercial is VERY pretty and the concept is a sweet take for a waterproof mascara. As far as naming the product, "Better Than Sex," all I can think is that the people polled for that question couldn't have been very demanding. :p

omg Im dying hahaha. when your mascara is better than sex, you need a new partner

Merman Arion
04-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Merfailor has clearly never bothered to do that though, and instead of taking criticism as an opportunity to improve himself, he just attacks everyone.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqdyzot8161qafrh6.gif

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3443/924/original.gif

Theobromine
04-05-2016, 09:03 PM
I FINALLY GOT ARION GIFS!

PearlieMae
04-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Hehehe...you got teabagged by Arion!

Mermaid Mystery
04-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Even though it's a high-profile client...in that close-up shot he posted, you can see that the surface texture of the scales looks gritty. It's not smooth or shiny. It looks like there's sand mixed in with the paint. I've noticed that in every single close-up picture of a mertailor tail I've ever seen. I don't know why more people don't notice or comment on it....to me it's pretty obvious and very unattractive. It's not like it's hard to get a smooth finish on silicone.

you outta see my scales. In one part there's blobs of silicone between each scale. it doesn't seem that hard to fix something like that, he should've done that YEARS ago.

Merman Arion
04-05-2016, 09:19 PM
omg Im dying hahaha. when your mascara is better than sex, you need a new partner

Hum hum *coughs*

http://www.xclusivetouch.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Things-Better-Than-Sex.gif

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/lindseynoelle23/ahh-better-than-sex.png

http://imgfave-herokuapp-com.global.ssl.fastly.net/image_cache/1361831016724328_animate.gif

Merman Arion
04-05-2016, 09:25 PM

Hehehe...you got teabagged by Arion!

:mermaid kiss:

https://m.popkey.co/eb4c21/kvWq5.gif

SeaGlass Siren
04-05-2016, 10:15 PM
OH SNAP it's Kandee Johnson!!! She's pretty high up there on the beauty guru scale next to Michelle Phan ( :P I know I am THAT person. What can I say I love makeup videos )

no opinion about the name. But I mean I am down for anything that might be better than sex. Waterproof mascara?? I need that!!

SeaGlass Siren
04-05-2016, 10:17 PM
You know how difficult it is to find Actual GOOD waterproof mascara? I need to test this out

Keiris
04-05-2016, 11:15 PM
It's like a little treasure, isn't it?

Mermaid Mystery
04-05-2016, 11:23 PM
You know how difficult it is to find Actual GOOD waterproof mascara? I need to test this out

AMEN TO THAT

Shyren Shey
04-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if this led to more mermaid customers after a commercial like that?

SeaGlass Siren
04-06-2016, 07:35 AM
All the "waterproof mascara a I have are not good enough. They flake off.

AniaR
04-06-2016, 11:19 AM
I JUST SAW MERFAILOR ERMAGERRRD I love it

Merman Arion
04-06-2016, 12:54 PM
I JUST SAW MERFAILOR ERMAGERRRD I love it

Can you believe it took us that long to figure that nickname until SHE said it?! :crazy:

I was waiting for you to notice it lol :lol:

SeaGlass Siren
04-06-2016, 09:11 PM
I was looking for reviews for this mascara and apparently the original formula is so much better than the waterproof one. Apparently it clumps up and gets all spidery.

Shyren Shey
04-06-2016, 09:32 PM
I was looking for reviews for this mascara and apparently the original formula is so much better than the waterproof one. Apparently it clumps up and gets all spidery.
Aw, that's unfortunate. I really like the normal stuff.