PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Mermaids

Mermaid Arabella
04-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Neat article about a woman who was a mermaid at Disneyland in the 50s: http://www.popsugar.com/love/Live-Mermaids-Disneyland-Submarine-Ride-37521815

I think Disney should bring back live (and swimming) mermaids! :swoon:

Saelyyia
04-07-2016, 02:34 PM
What a great article. I have seen a lot of small snippets about this but never an actual interview. That would of been such an amazing experience. But it does pose a problem when you have people like the boys who jumped into the water and such.

Shyren Shey
04-07-2016, 04:08 PM
That was a fun read. I really loved the submarine ride when I visited as a child, Of course by the time I got a chance to see it they just had little fake mermaids and other creatures down under the water. But I had heard it's completely closed now? I can't recall if it is or not. I haven't been to disneyland in over a decade.

MerShellly
04-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Thanks for posting it in a thread for us! :) So cool!

Elodea the Mermaid
04-07-2016, 05:03 PM
I met a woman who used to be a Disneyland mermaid at a parade we did! It was so exciting!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Saelyyia
04-07-2016, 05:04 PM
That was a fun read. I really loved the submarine ride when I visited as a child, Of course by the time I got a chance to see it they just had little fake mermaids and other creatures down under the water. But I had heard it's completely closed now? I can't recall if it is or not. I haven't been to disneyland in over a decade.

I'm pretty sure they turned it into some kind of Finding Nemo ride a few years ago.

Shyren Shey
04-07-2016, 05:08 PM
I'm pretty sure they turned it into some kind of Finding Nemo ride a few years ago.
Well, that sounds cute at least and is a great way to make the underwater ride more relevant to recent movies.

Kait
04-07-2016, 05:45 PM
This is so nice to read. Finding Nemo is great but I wish they still had this to. #dreamjob haha

SeaGlass Siren
04-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Yep it's called finding memos submarine adventure!

Echidna
04-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Nice article + interview.
I second bringing live mermaids back (and employing them more often at waterparks and other facilities),
maybe with some minor adjustments to avoid the chlorine problem.

Some things to minimize exposure, just off the top of my head:

- less concentrated chlorine, you need much less if you treat the water right, put in more freshwater, use ozone/salt/etc
- let the girls use wigs or headdresses which can be worn over a swimcap (I do that often, it can look just like natural hair if done right, so no need to expose real hair to chlorine)
- let the performers use eye protection.
This could be clear goggles or masks, which can be embellished to look aquatic, alien, or masquerade-like, so it'd look even better and more exotic than just have the girl be plain human with a tail on.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-15-2016, 11:41 PM
I like their tails. Does anyone know what it is made of? And are there monofins or fins inside of it?

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
04-19-2016, 06:22 AM
I absolutely love gem articles like the one you shared, thanks for posting :)

Neat article about a woman who was a mermaid at Disneyland in the 50s: http://www.popsugar.com/love/Live-Mermaids-Disneyland-Submarine-Ride-37521815

I think Disney should bring back live (and swimming) mermaids! :swoon:

Ashe
04-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Loved reading this! And did anyone else think their tails were gorgeous? I thought they were painted neoprene at first but later she said they were made of rubber... I wonder what kind?
Thanks for sharing :)