PDA

View Full Version : Airbrushing with ALEX Plus

Mermaid Sirena
01-31-2012, 06:36 AM
I know ALEX is not safe for use and everything however that is what the tail is made of so I don't really have any options. I've read a couple places that you can use Acrylic paint mixed with ALEX to airbrush instead of airbrush specific paints like createx.

Here's my question does anyone have any experience with this, and shine a little more detail on what kind of acrylic because not all paints are made equal.

AniaR
01-31-2012, 07:10 AM
you need to use "createx" that's what your tail is made of paint wise. You can air brush it on but it works just as well with a brush. If you mix it with alex it's easier if there's a scrape, but it'll take FOREVER to dry. I waited a month and a half and mine did not dry. so now I just put new paint on it all the time, or before any big gig. (cant wait for new tails)

Mermaid Star
01-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Heat setting helps if you mix it with the Alex. But AniaR, has a lot more experience with her alex tail than I have. :) <3 But I would imagine that if you mix it, you can use any paint, but I have not tried it so I can't say for sure. If you want it to match you will have to use whatever was used originally but if you are completely repainting your tail, I don't see anything wrong with going with another brand as long as you use the same process. Heat helps this stuff set and dry faster. If you don't have a heat gun, a hairdrier will help.

Mermaid Sirena
01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Must I use createx or could I mix another kind of acrylic? I know it's not going to match so I'm planning on having the touch ups be incorporated as accents on the current color. I have to use alex as some of the damage is too the ALEX it self, so it should help add a layer of protection and make it look smoother and prettier then what a layer of paint will.

Hair dryer for heat - check

OrcaMatt
01-31-2012, 12:03 PM
As I recall from mer.yuku, heat setting is required for createx, I assume even if you mix it with ALEX (1:1 ALEX to water, by volume I think it was)

Capt Nemo
01-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes you can use acrylic paint mixed with ALEX, as the acrylic latex used in the paint is the same. Heat setting a Createx/ALEX mix is not needed, as the pigment is bound by the ALEX. For an airbrush, use a 1:1 ALEX/water mix and a large needle on the airbrush. It should dry overnight, or faster with a heat gun. For an ounce of paint mix 25 drops of colorant. You will need a few coats. Do wear a particulates filter, as airbrushes can produce clouds of very fine dust.

With a heat gun, lay a coat, then dry, and lay another until you get the color density you want.

And don't worry about the toxicity of ALEX. That was started by a yuku member that was allergic to latex. If the water department made a MSDS on it's tap water, it'd scare the shit out of anyone! The same happened here. The formeldahyde and ethylene glycol are the two bad ingredients, but they comprise only about 5% of the product at their maximum levels. The older MSDS for ALEX was much more informative than the new one that's up now. Ethylene glycol used to be an ingredient in Dr. Pepper, so that's just how toxic it really is at low levels. (I used to guzzel that stuff)

Components of ALEX Plus from old MSDS
Formeldahyde >.5%
Ammonia >1%
Ethylene Glycol >5%
White petroleum oil 5% (parafin oil/baby oil)
Ammorphous silica 3% (silicone)
Water 25%
Acrylic latex 60.5%

Raven's tail began cracking and turning white due to water deterioration of the latex. On her tail, water was getting into the nylon between the neoprene and the ALEX, and deteriorating the material from behind, loosening the bond. That's why her tail would turn white so quickly. Water does act on the latex and turns it white. It will do that to any latex product. Silicone spray prevents that action. I later found that the thin coat, that I would work into the fabric, prevents water from entering between the ALEX and neoprene, and keeps things from turning white under more than 12+ hours of submersion when the ALEX surface is coated with the silicone. So the problem was one of surface preperation and sealing.

ShyMer
01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
I know this is a tangent but I'm rather confused- I've been trying to figure this out and I haven't seen a clear answer yet. It has been said that latex and silicone do not like to bond with neoprene. Nemo, you mention here that you worked a thin coat into the fabric so water won't get between the neoprene and the latex. Are you saying that you soaked the latex into the material so it bonds better? I'm guessing it might be easier with a more liquidy latex but I'm curious how people have done this. I guess I'm mostly surprised that neoprene would absorb latex or alex like that.

This step confuses me :/

Mermaid Lorelei
01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Dr. Seaweed shows how to soak latex into your neoprene before adding your latex fin to the neoprene.

http://youtu.be/tuq6onS9L68

ShyMer
01-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks <3

Mermaid Lorelei
01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
No problem.

Mermaid Sirena
02-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Captain Nemo! Such a pleasure to see you around the boards again :D

Thank you for the help!

AniaR
02-01-2012, 10:38 AM
actually, the alex toxicity was brought up by Shelly, a bio-chemist, who found herself losing feeling in her hands after pro-longed exposure. She wrote a very detailed article about it that will be published in our new e-mag. I also exhibited many of the side effects the MSDS warned of to the point after having blood work done my doctor asked me if I was exposed to any unusual chemicals. alex is dangerous if not fully or properly cured. You should also wear a mask when using it, Raven would cough up blood. Alex also turns white the instant it hits water if it's not fully cured- as I found out after waiting a month and a half for my own tail to cure in touch up areas.

OrcaMatt
02-01-2012, 01:33 PM
actually, the createx toxicity was brought up by ShellyALEX, not Createx

AniaR
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
ALEX, not Createx
d\oh, thats what I meant, I think I had to re-post it 3 times before it went through haha so messed up by the end

Mermaid Sirena
02-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Another question for everyone who knows, can you work with ALEX when its cold out? I read about how you can't work with Latex in winter due to it freezing and becoming unusable and sense where I would be working on the tail is a barn/garage thing (that's where the air compressor is) and this morning it was a balmy 15 degrees fahrenheit outside.

Capt Nemo
02-16-2012, 12:05 AM
That's too cold for ALEX/latex. It needs to cure completely without freezing.

Mermaid Sirena
02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Alright so note to self all tail repairs must wait until spring/summer -.- I was getting really excited to >.<

neonmermaid
02-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Yes you can use acrylic paint mixed with ALEX, as the acrylic latex used in the paint is the same. Heat setting a Createx/ALEX mix is not needed, as the pigment is bound by the ALEX. For an airbrush, use a 1:1 ALEX/water mix and a large needle on the airbrush. It should dry overnight, or faster with a heat gun. For an ounce of paint mix 25 drops of colorant. You will need a few coats. Do wear a particulates filter, as airbrushes can produce clouds of very fine dust.

With a heat gun, lay a coat, then dry, and lay another until you get the color density you want.

And don't worry about the toxicity of ALEX. That was started by a yuku member that was allergic to latex. If the water department made a MSDS on it's tap water, it'd scare the shit out of anyone! The same happened here. The formeldahyde and ethylene glycol are the two bad ingredients, but they comprise only about 5% of the product at their maximum levels. The older MSDS for ALEX was much more informative than the new one that's up now. Ethylene glycol used to be an ingredient in Dr. Pepper, so that's just how toxic it really is at low levels. (I used to guzzel that stuff)

Components of ALEX Plus from old MSDS
Formeldahyde >.5%
Ammonia >1%
Ethylene Glycol >5%
White petroleum oil 5% (parafin oil/baby oil)
Ammorphous silica 3% (silicone)
Water 25%
Acrylic latex 60.5%

Raven's tail began cracking and turning white due to water deterioration of the latex. On her tail, water was getting into the nylon between the neoprene and the ALEX, and deteriorating the material from behind, loosening the bond. That's why her tail would turn white so quickly. Water does act on the latex and turns it white. It will do that to any latex product. Silicone spray prevents that action. I later found that the thin coat, that I would work into the fabric, prevents water from entering between the ALEX and neoprene, and keeps things from turning white under more than 12+ hours of submersion when the ALEX surface is coated with the silicone. So the problem was one of surface preperation and sealing.

This is WONDERFUL information. I'm making an ALEX tail right now. So you suggest silicone spray on the inside and outside of the tail before swimming? Am I understanding this right??

AniaR
02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
we had a heat wave when I was trying to cure mine and it still didnt dry (our heat waves are not as warm as a place like florida)

Moonflower
02-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Can someone give me a real idea as to how long it takes for Alex to dry? I keep seeing 2-3 days to 2-3 months and sometimes it never dries? Help?

Mermaid Sirena
02-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Anair then I might be stuck with you for a while as Michigan is having a hissy fit and not following any natural weather patterns, might be a cool summer.

MoonFlower I'll keep track of what I do and what the temperature/humidity was that day and all the other days and then see how long it takes :) We could start compiling a data base on this sort of stuff :D