PDA

View Full Version : Acronyms & Abbreviations

SweeteSiren
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry if I'm revealing myself to be a little less than tech-savvy, but what does NSFW mean? I've seen it on several posts and all I can make out of it is "not suitable for ????". OK, there's my stupid question du jour. Thanks!

ShyMer
01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
It means not safe for work. I'm sure you know what that implies though.

malinghi
01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Don't worry about not knowing about acronyms- if its sufficiently common you can probably google it to find the answer. The first result for "NSFW" on google is a wikipedia page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_safe_for_work

Now that that's been sorted out, I propose that we use this thread for what I thought it was about when I clicked on it- to discuss all the acronyms and abbreviations we can think of for the mer community. For example, people outside the community probably aren't familiar with the abbreviation, "mer".

Mermaid Lorelei
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I know MVD gets thrown around a lot, and when I first started here I was just as out of the know as I would suppose anyone else coming in would be. Mike Van Daal makes a lot more sense to a mermaid with new fins. XD

Mermaid Sirena
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
But Mer is so straight forward.... isn't it? At least when used in the context of referring to merpeople.

malinghi
01-31-2012, 09:38 PM
But Mer is so straight forward.... isn't it? At least when used in the context of referring to merpeople.

It is in context. If you're talking to someone in the mer community and you say "I met a bunch of mers at the WMA's", they'd know exactly what you're talking about. Anyone else wouldn't know what mers or WMA's means. They'd probably think you said a word that ends in "mer", and they misheard you. They'd be like, "I'm sorry, did you just say you met a bunch of drummers at the World Music Awards? I imagine there were a lot of guitarists there too."

Mermaid Sirena
02-01-2012, 01:04 AM
Oooh... heheh I can see that ^_^

Nate Walis
02-01-2012, 07:22 AM
It's like the world of business, the sheer number of TLAs is staggering.

malinghi
02-01-2012, 08:27 AM
It's like the world of business, the sheer number of TLAs is staggering.

I didn't know what that stood for so I googled it. Ha, yeah, you're totally right.
Also, TLM is a TLA.

SweeteSiren
02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Malinghi, took your advice & Googled this time. The first three hits I got were "Texas Library Association", "Theater of Living Arts" and "Textile Labor Association" before I stumbled on "three letter acronyms". :)
Does everyone know that WMA's means World Mermaid Awards? We throw that around a lot too.

Amphitrite
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
As I'm new here I don't know what most of you are talking about with your tla's. So feel free to use the full words when using tla's (which I guess means you wouldn't be using tla's, but whatever) :p