PDA

View Full Version : Sun Tail monofin & tail review

Mermaid Arabella
05-23-2016, 02:58 PM
I did a follow-up review of my Sun Tail monofin & tail: https://www.facebook.com/PixieGoddessCosplay/videos/1764097940485858/

(In case you missed my first one: https://www.facebook.com/PixieGoddessCosplay/videos/1741547926074193/ )

Highlights:
-I like the monofin but would only recommend it for people with average or large feet. If you have tiny feet like me, you might run into the same problems I did.
-I love the printing on their tails, it looks very cool in the water.
-The protective tape is definitely needed on the corners of the tail fluke to prevent holes, but it's also REALLY difficult to get it on the fabric and looking nice.

Merman Andrew
05-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Yikes that crack doesn't look good! I'm wondering if it might have been caused by bending the monofin when trying to turn around and stand up in shallower water? It happens to me sometimes but I've figured out a way to turn around without bending the monofin, and that is to do a 180 degree roll in the water just before you go to stand up.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Arabella
05-25-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't generally stand in my monofins. I did a couple times in this one (b/c they said you could and I wanted to test it) but I find it's a bad habit to get into if you have fabric tails b/c then you could damage the fabric when you've got the tail on. And I usually lift my monofin out of the water when turning around in the shallow end - but that's mostly just because I'm lazy and it's easier :p

I really think it's b/c my feet were too short for the adult size footpockets, and I had to add the ankle strap, so it was bending a lot more on the narrow part of the fin instead of further down where it's wider. :T

Mermaid Aria
05-25-2016, 03:09 PM
I don't generally stand in my monofins. I did a couple times in this one (b/c they said you could and I wanted to test it) but I find it's a bad habit to get into if you have fabric tails b/c then you could damage the fabric when you've got the tail on. And I usually lift my monofin out of the water when turning around in the shallow end - but that's mostly just because I'm lazy and it's easier :p

I really think it's b/c my feet were too short for the adult size footpockets, and I had to add the ankle strap, so it was bending a lot more on the narrow part of the fin instead of further down where it's wider. :T

What size shoe do you wear? My feet are small (size 6). I am contemplating buying one from Sun Tails (especially since Jaffa had given such positive reviews) but I've been concerned about this since I have trouble with my Wave (I can never adjust the straps appropriately but my feet fit the pockets ok).

Mermaid Arabella
05-25-2016, 04:02 PM
I have short, wide feet. My favorite shoes are a children's size 4. In women's shoes, I own a size 5.5 all the way up to an 8, depending on the width of the style/brand, stretchiness of the material, etc. For many women's shoes, I just don't fit into a shoe at all b/c once I size up enough to fit the width of my feet, it's too long and won't even stay on my foot. So I'm aware that I'm an outlier! :lol: (My foot is about 9" long, if that helps)

Mermaid Jaffa
05-29-2016, 08:12 AM
You also have the option of gluing flippers onto it, instead of using the neoprene foot pockets. That way too, when the fin flexes at your feet, it won't a be such a huge bend.

Mermaid Hunter
06-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Hope I'm not necroposting, but thanks for this review--I was looking at their site and I wasn't sure whether or not they were legit. The foot thing might actually be an advantage for me as I'm around a women's size 10.5 and I've been worried about not being able to fit other, smaller monofins.

dfaithberry
06-17-2016, 03:42 PM
My daughter, 10, just received her fin and tail Wednesday. She much prefers the suntail monofin over the fin fun monofin (old version). She did get the monofin wet before putting on, as it was much easier to get on. She only got to swim in it for about 30 minutes but in that time it felt comfortable and was easy to swim in. She also likes how easy it is to remove the neoprene part of the fin to dry it.

The downside was the tail. She got to swim in it for the first time yesterday, in a community pool, for about 30 minutes. Already has a rip and some wear and tear. I made her first tail out of swimmable spandex from a fabric store and that tail, while not nearly as pretty, is much more durable.

It would be cool if sun tails made the tail to cover only the neoprene part of the monofin. I think that would increase the longevity of the tail. I am thinking of making another one for her but wish I could find prettier mermaid inspired fabric.

Mermaid Aria
07-21-2016, 09:18 AM
So I finally got around to taking my Sun Tail Bali Blush Tail for a swim yesterday and I'm a little disappointed with the results. I love the colors and the pattern, its absolutely gorgeous. However, I had the protectors on the corners but they came off within a few minutes of swimming, and now the corners are torn. There's also this white fuzz in areas where there is a lot of stress on the tail, corners of fluke, heels, and butt. I didn't sit on the edge of the pool at all except to put the tail on and off. The surface was brick with some sort of coating over it. Also, I had the same problem with the monofin as Mermaid Arabella. My feet are tiny and the second strap was resting on the point where my toes are connected to the rest of my feet and they would slide around in the footpockets. It didn't crack just put a lot of awkward strain on that part of my foot. That can easily be fixed by gluing pockets from swim fins on instead of using the neoprene though like Jaffa has recommended. The velcro from the monofin straps also grabbed at spandex while I was putting it on and snagged it a little also.

I'm mostly disappointed with the amount of wear after one swim. I've had swimsuits that have been put through the ringer from hours of swim practice everyday and they don't look anything like that (we did dry land exercises on the pool deck and everything). I was thinking about contacting sun tails but I doubt they will do anything since the protectors aren't on there anymore and that voids the guarantee.

Also, what else can I use to protect the corners from getting worse and the holes from spreading? I was thinking of getting some clear contact film that you use to cover paperpack books since that's what their covers looked like to me, and I'll have a whole role if it peels off again. Not sure how waterproof it is though.

Here's pictures of the wear I'm talking about:

Ligeia
07-27-2016, 11:00 PM
I've taken out my Suntail (in Bali Blush as well!) somewhere in the margin of nine to ten times to date. I received mine on the eighth of this month and go crazy with it in a local lake versus a pool like Mermaid Aria. I didn't spot anything after my first swim but come the second/third, I started noticing a couple of issues.

There is wear (nothing like Aria's above) in the form of half an inch to one inch rubs in the fabric where the feet of the monofin are against the material. I try to avoid standing flat-footed in the fin, but it happens. I'm fairly certain that is where those little marks have come from. They aren't noticeable by any means unless I'm looking for them. My boyfriend didn't even see them until I pointed them out. I don't mind these - it's fabric. I expected worse, honestly. My bigger concern is the stitching. I've notice a couple of threads popping up in the thighs and plan to give them attention should they get worse. I did notice, after my swim today, that a seam had a one-inch bust that covered the tip of the monofin. Not the very end of it to have issues covering the fin, but close enough to raise concern. (I'll post pictures, should I get the chance).

Given this is my first tail, I can't really give a general consensus in terms of comparing it to other companies. I've loved every second with it and the tail has helped my confidence immensely. I wore a bikini for the first time in nearly eight years because of it! In regards to the shipping and handling, the service was one of the best I've had by far. I was given email updates with my tracking number which I was able to closely (read: obsessively) follow. The company was kind when I submitted a review and even told me that they have new tails coming in with sturdier stitching!

So highlighting everything (and then some):
-There is some wear, nothing too bad. Mainly general runs where the back of the monofin rubs the material.
-The monofin is not for hamster feet! I'll definitely need to add a strap. It has good propulsion, though. As Mermaids Jaffa and Arabella said, it does seem to have a tilt to it while swimming.
-The print is GORGEOUS! Though more pink in the fluke than I'd anticipated. Beware, though! The material is thin. My swimsuit is black and you can see the bottoms through it!
-Stitching seems a bit weak. I've had an inch-long seam pop and a few other spots that have raised threads as well. (Note: They are due to get in new tails with better stitching.)
-If you are short, this will ride high! I am 4'8 and it reaches the top of my ribs if I pull it until it is smooth. I usually keep it lower.

Over all...I've had few issues with mine and it's been a great starter tail!

Mermaid Aria
07-28-2016, 03:53 PM
So a quick update, I spoke with Jessica from suntails and she said they have been having lots of problems with the stickers falling off in humid climates. They are also going to make their tails from a thicker fabric starting with the new colors they are releasing next week. She's sending me a new set of stickers that are supposed to have stronger adhesive as well as one of the new tails as a replacement. I'm supposed to let her know if that works better, I'll make a detailed review comparing them when I get the new one. I'm really grateful for their awesome customer service!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Nerdmaid Faith
08-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Just uploaded my SunTails review!
https://youtu.be/HFTcX-Yijns