PDA

View Full Version : vegan, cruelty free, waterproof makeup

Trade Winds
06-02-2016, 01:07 PM
I don't wear make up irl but i have an interest in wearing it for mermaiding...however, is there a vegan, cruelty free brand that can stand up to being underwater?

By cruelty free I mean not tested on animals.
And by vegan I mean no animal ingredients (including bug ingredients)

A_Koi_Mermaid
06-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Two of my fav brands are actually vegan & cruelty free, at least according to the Internet. Elf cosmetics is super cheap and nice but I don't know what from them is waterproof. Nyx cosmetics is my fav and they make amazing stuff and I know some of it is waterproof and I've seen it used in underwater mermaid stuff. The net does say their parent company isn't vegan & cruelty free though. Same with Kat Von D cosmetics but her stuff is quite $$$.

Trade Winds
06-02-2016, 06:45 PM
I have a facebook friend who is absolutely nuts over Elf. She even got her pix featured on Elf's site. Maybe I should talk to her about it! I have heard of NYX vaguely- as for Kat, I feel like I saw somewhere she or her stuff wasn't vegan (I think there was some issue with leather).

Sapphire Mermaid
06-02-2016, 06:51 PM
The website below is a very comprehensive list of vegan and cruelty free make up! Not all of the brands have waterproof, but you will be happy to know that the Urban Decay All Nighter Long sealer is cruelty free and vegan! It is a very popular one to use for make up among the Merfolk.

http://www.logicalharmony.net/cruelty-free-vegan-brand-list/#axzz4ASoQsy7l

Trade Winds
06-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Thanks, Sapphire! Looks like a good place to start

Trade Winds
06-05-2016, 06:00 PM
I bought some NYX today! Will give it a test run and update here for anyone in the future with the same prob

AniaR
06-06-2016, 10:34 PM
anything that is also sold in china, will not be cruelty free. China requires that all makeup be tested on animals, and 98% of name brands sell in China as well. I learned this the hard way when i tried to do some digging into whether the lines I used were cruelty free. They are often very misleading about it.

AniaR
06-06-2016, 10:34 PM
for instance, MUFE advertises they are cruelty free, but when asked directly will tell you "we only test when required by law" because China requires by law.

Mary Marine
06-12-2016, 01:17 AM
Trade Winds, you need to post on the underwater make-up sticky thread whatever that Nyx lip stuff was that you used at the lake today!

Trade Winds
06-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Specifically it was the Nyx soft matte, and the suede lipstick. I combined them both that day, as I wasn't totally satisfied with the matte. We did about 5 hrs of swimming thru hell and it lasted with just a few patches gone from where I'd scaped off with my nails on accident.

My biggest issue now is eyeliner. The cream stuff, tho waterproof, always breaks on the stick and it goes to waste! Nyx and Pixie did this and it wasn't even hot or anything. My new goal is a pencil eyeliner or something. But since I wear my sunglasses while out, it won't be seen much...so I may forego the eyeliner for now.