PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Japan

Sakutama
06-03-2016, 05:41 AM
Hello!

Nice to meet you. I'm from the USA, but living abroad in Japan. I've loved mermaids and the ocean since I was a little girl. I remember watching the little mermaid enough to drive my parents crazy, and begging for a mermaid costume I could swim in the pool with. It didn't work very well, much to my disappointment, but it didn't phase me. Growing up in the Midwest, the ocean was a magical far-off place I was really unfamiliar with. Any chance I found a nautical store, or went to a pet shop that had saltwater fish, I was absolutely charmed! Especially the sea horses, who are still close to my heart. Now that I'm in Japan, the ocean is closer, but sadly not as nice as it would be if I got away from Tokyo bay. But there's a few aquariums, and I become a kid again every chance I get to visit.

I have to be honest - I'm lazy. I hate exercise, and I'm not athletic. But I want to overcome this, so I can get in shape and be healthy, so I've tried many things. Lately I had the idea to try swimming, because I've always loved swimming any chance I got. I started hoping this could be the lifelong exercise that could keep me healthy and happy. As I started researching swimming, I was really interested in the dolphin kick - they're swimming like mermaids! Sure enough, what's how you swim like a mermaid, just without the tail. I found a treasure trove of information - mono fins, professional mermaids, places to buy tails, mermaid schools, the works! I'm just over the moon about all this. I really want to find a pool, order a mono fin and master the dolphin kick. Maybe even make some mer friends to swim with.

But reality can be harsh, I don't think there's a community for such a thing in Japan yet. I'm also still looking for a pool close enough that I'll still have energy to swim after work. The language barrier can also be an issue, as well as international shipping, and so on. I do feel alone over here.

But on the bright side, I found this forum! So at least I can connect with others who also think swimming as a mermaid is fantastic! I'm looking forward to meeting you guys, and maybe making some friends too!

Mermaid Arabella
06-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the waters, Sakutama! Good luck on your pool search, and make sure to check out the Pod subforum to see if there are any other mers near you :)

Sakutama
06-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Hello Mermaid Arabella! Nice to meet you! I had a look at the pods, it looks like there isn't a sub forum for Japan or East Asia at the moment. I'll make a new topic at the bottom to see if anyone replies. Maybe there's others here in Japan and I just don't know it yet! :-)

Merman Sean
06-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Greeting Sakutama and welcome to MerNetwork, nice to meet you, you will have lodes of fun and meet Lot's of mers here.

Marooned
06-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the MerNetwork, Sakutama! I understand how you must feel, wanting to feel fit enough for a mermaid tail, or not having people around who share your level of enthusiasm about mermaiding. Regardless, you're welcome here at the online community. Who knows, maybe there's a secret pod of merfolk out there in Japan. I wish you the best in finding your pod!

Saren
06-03-2016, 09:04 PM
SAKUTAMA IM IN JAPAN!!!!

Saren
06-03-2016, 09:05 PM
OMGOMGOMGOMG

Saren
06-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Okay triple posting, that's bad on me I'll post everything here.

So there ARE mermaids in Japan! At least 3-4 Japanese mermaids, but most of them are in the south where its warmer.

I'm in Kanagawa, and I've lived here for a year. I'm actually going to Tatsumi pool this Thursday to test out my new silicone tail! If your ever want to get together and swim id love to swim with you!

And I thought I was the only Gaijin mermaid!

Oh and finding a place to swim with fins in Japan is hard. My local pool lets me swim in find but not a tail. But I'm part of a Gaijin scuba diving/freediving group and they've been practicing in Yoyogi and Tatsumi pools in fins and monofins. I'll be the first to attempt swimming in a tail there. Look into DiveZone Tokyo, if you want the chance to practice swimming in fins!

Sakutama
06-04-2016, 10:28 AM
Thank you Mermaid Sean and marioned! I'm so happy to be here. ^_^

Okay triple posting, that's bad on me I'll post everything here.

So there ARE mermaids in Japan! At least 3-4 Japanese mermaids, but most of them are in the south where its warmer.

I'm in Kanagawa, and I've lived here for a year. I'm actually going to Tatsumi pool this Thursday to test out my new silicone tail! If your ever want to get together and swim id love to swim with you!

And I thought I was the only Gaijin mermaid!

Oh and finding a place to swim with fins in Japan is hard. My local pool lets me swim in find but not a tail. But I'm part of a Gaijin scuba diving/freediving group and they've been practicing in Yoyogi and Tatsumi pools in fins and monofins. I'll be the first to attempt swimming in a tail there. Look into DiveZone Tokyo, if you want the chance to practice swimming in fins!

Saren - WOW! I assumed I was the first one in Japan and I might have to just start a pod here and wait! I'm in Saitama, so I'm not terribly far from you I think! It will depend on what part of Kanagawa you are in. ^_^ I'm envious that you have a silicone tail, I have nothing. -_- I've been admiring from afar on YouTube and joining this forum is my next step. I'm not even that good of a swimmer, maybe doggy paddle and basic floating? Goodness now that I think about it, I probably don't have what it takes. -_- But when I watch women swimming in those tails, I'm just enchanted! I can't stop watching! I would love to master a smooth dolphin kick, and save up for a tail someday. But first I need to get in shape, and lose the pudge. I've never heard of DiveZone, and I know Yoyogi park! I didn't know you could swim there! I'm so exited! My job would probably prevent me from meeting regularly, but maybe I could try coming out monthly? We should totally plan a chat and talk everything over! :-D

Merman Sean
06-04-2016, 11:33 AM
You say you don't have what it takes, but i don't believe it a second, it's what is in your Hart and you know when it feels right, starting with the basics and go pro, you now you wanna😁.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sakutama
06-04-2016, 11:50 AM
You say you don't have what it takes, but i don't believe it a second, it's what is in your Hart and you know when it feels right, starting with the basics and go pro, you now you wanna.

Thank you for the pep talk Merman Sean! That makes me more optimistic. ^_^ I'm just not athletic, and I'm out of shape, so I guess I'm used to assuming I can't do something. But part of me believes if I love it enough, it could discover the thing that makes me a more athletic person. And I guess I hope it's this!

Its probably too late for me to go pro though. -_- I'm already 30 years old. If it took me 10 years to master everything, I don't think anyone would want to see me as a 40 year old mermaid. Most of the pro memaids I've seen are much younger than me. And even older ones are absolutely gorgeous, I doubt I'll look so good in 10 years.

But it's ok! If I could learn to swim gracefully, make friends, stay healthy and have fun, that's all the joy I would need. ^^

Marooned
06-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Thank you for the pep talk Merman Sean! That makes me more optimistic. ^_^ I'm just not athletic, and I'm out of shape, so I guess I'm used to assuming I can't do something. But part of me believes if I love it enough, it could discover the thing that makes me a more athletic person. And I guess I hope it's this!

Its probably too late for me to go pro though. -_- I'm already 30 years old. If it took me 10 years to master everything, I don't think anyone would want to see me as a 40 year old mermaid. Most of the pro memaids I've seen are much younger than me. And even older ones are absolutely gorgeous, I doubt I'll look so good in 10 years.

But it's ok! If I could learn to swim gracefully, make friends, stay healthy and have fun, that's all the joy I would need. ^^

Sakutama, don't let your current state deter you from accomplishing your dream. You can start practicing little by little, and you'll be swimming like a real mermaid in no time! Don't let insecurities, or doubt stop you. You'll do wonderfully, I'm sure! And like my good friend said, "Fun has no expiration date!" So, whether you're 8 years old, or 60, you're allowed to indulge in your fantasies (fanta-seas, lol)! There are no rules saying that you have to stop being a mermaid by a certain age!

Take a look at the most recent mermaid movie, The Mermaid (2016). There's a mermaid in there who's extremely elderly, but d*mn can she rock that tail (the one in my icon)! Mermaiding HAS no age limit! Now, go out there, and do your thing! ;)

Merman Sean
06-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Nicely said Marooned , I fully agree with the statement, soo Sakutama there you have it. Just need to start with the program 😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sakutama
06-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Sakutama, don't let your current state deter you from accomplishing your dream. You can start practicing little by little, and you'll be swimming like a real mermaid in no time! Don't let insecurities, or doubt stop you. You'll do wonderfully, I'm sure! And like my good friend said, "Fun has no expiration date!" So, whether you're 8 years old, or 60, you're allowed to indulge in your fantasies (fanta-seas, lol)! There are no rules saying that you have to stop being a mermaid by a certain age!

Take a look at the most recent mermaid movie, The Mermaid (2016). There's a mermaid in there who's extremely elderly, but d*mn can she rock that tail (the one in my icon)! Mermaiding HAS no age limit! Now, go out there, and do your thing! ;)

Nicely said Marooned , I fully agree with the statement, soo Sakutama there you have it. Just need to start with the program

Marooned and Mermaid Sean - thank you again! You guys are absolutely wonderful for being so kind and encouraging! I looked up Mermaid (2016) I had no idea it existed! It looks really interesting, and you're right, that elderly woman really does rock that tail! I guess I have to face my own insecurities, and look past the common images of mermaids being young and beautiful. I feel like there needs to be a photo project showing women, men and children of all ages and body types being merfolk, that would certainly help me! In the mean time, I'll plan out some baby steps...or baby splashes? hehe ^^ Thank you again!

Kait
06-08-2016, 12:27 AM
Welcome lovely, happy swimming! :D

Mermaid Jaffa
06-08-2016, 12:31 AM
Hello Sakutama! Don't worry about not having pro swimming skills for mermaiding. I don't, all I can do is doggy paddle, and a not very good breaststroke. In fact, I swim better in a tail and monofin than with legs!