PDA

View Full Version : My Dream Tail...

Princess Kae-Leah
02-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I've noticed a trend in tailmaking toward ultra-realistic tails modeled after real fish and marine mammals, and while of course there is nothing wrong with being half-koi, half-rainbow trout, half-salmon, half-lionfish, half-betta fish, half-sea bass, half-orca, half-spotted dolphin etc., I PERSONALLY prefer a more stylized, colorful, glittery approach to tailmaking, similar to those on Mermaid Barbie dolls.
I absolutely LOVE this Barbie's tail and fantasize about having one like it, but alas it just isn't practical for me to spend $1,000 or so on a costume. HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, though, what commercial tailmaker's talents would be best suited to make a sparkly fairyland "Mermaid Barbie" tail? What do you guys' think of Barbara Millicent Roberts' tail? Do you prefer realistic tails modeled after real fish or the stylized fantasy approach?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CFBYIG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_g21_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0CE1MR7ZZGEXNHKSPF8D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

jukumerboii
02-03-2012, 09:57 PM
i myself enjoy the wait every few months to see what new mermaid tail barbie will get. i've been hooked on them since the mermaidia tails. i wouldn't mind having a swimmable barbie-style merMAN tail lol

Mermaid Saphira
02-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I like a blend of both fantasy and reality! Realistic tails with a touch of fantastical additions is the perfect fit for me. I really like the tail you chose! My little cousin actually has the doll :)

New York Mermaid
02-03-2012, 10:41 PM
i always believe the dream tail would be not one you see but one you make all your own, The inspiration has to come from somewhere, which is why it is your dream tail. I like drawing out my tails, i find my style and use favorite colors, and sometimes go funky and usually what ends up being a great result in a mermaid tail. My realistic tail is inspired by one of the most feared animals in the ocean, but with my colors, fins and my twist on the tail.

Fantasy and reality are cool, but truth is your imagination creates such things that you never expect (like my jellyfish tail). To me combo colors are awesome, patterns and shapes make the uniqueness of a mermaid/man who dared to "stand out". No one ever said you couldnt use inspiration of reality to make your ulimate dream tail. Which is why my tail is so special to me Im having it made into a realistic tail for personal reasons. My third favorite is soon to be a fabric tail.

Mermaid Jewel
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I like a combination of realistic styles and fantasy colors ^.^ Hence my blue, purple, and black koi fish design xD

Mermaid Sirena
02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I really like both, I feel realistic works better for getting jobs and things though I would love to have a pure fantasy tail at some point. I plan on combining the two when I make my own by adding shimmer powered to all the scales and stuff so it shines and shimmers like something out of myth.

Though really I don't have a dream tail design yet.

Gem Stone
02-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I enjoy creating my tail in my mind from both realistic and fantastical parts.

Mermaid Miel
02-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I like Fantasy Tails with a slight realistic twist... there are plenty of beautiful Tropical fish that would meake excellent Inspiration for a realistic brighty coloured tail.
But I must also admit the I love Barbie's Style, She always gets the best tops!

Princess Kae-Leah
02-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Since I can't swim, my dream tail would be either latex or neoprene/sequined(like Hannah Fraser's current tail) with no monofin/flippers and open at the very bottom(like my current tail, it's open at the very bottom of the fluke so I could walk somewhat in it). Keeping in mind there's no way I can afford to buy a new tail right now, so this is pretty much hypothetical, I gotta ask the tailmakers on this board, what they would charge for a monoless/open at the bottom latex or neoprene tail?

New York Mermaid
02-12-2012, 02:53 AM
^i know mermaidsrus.com does sequin tails http://www.mermaidsrus.com/Mermaid_Tails.html

Princess Kae-Leah
02-12-2012, 02:59 AM
They don't have purple, they come with flippers, and they're not open at the bottom so I don't think like they're right for me. Nice price though.

Mermaid Saphira
02-12-2012, 08:13 AM
^ Doesn't mean you can't ask them if they would be willing to make a tail for you in purple with no monofin