PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to order neoprene from?

Coradion
02-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Curious about where to get sheets of neoprene and how much it costs. Anybody know?

Mermaid Photine
02-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I got mine from foamorder.com
It seems lkike nice stuff, haven't tested it yet, though.
A huge 50" by 80" sheet is less than $100 for most thicknesses.
It came all nicely rolled up and everything. They also sell heavy duty thread.

Coradion
02-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

malinghi
02-14-2012, 08:25 AM
I got mine from macro international. They have pretty good prices.
http://www.macrointlco.com/

Mermaid Marla
02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
If you have a Jo Ann's Fabric store near you some of them carry 2mm neoprene for $19 per yard. I usually wait for my 50% off coupon and get 2 yards for $20 total!

Mia
02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Actually, Joann's is phasing out their neoprene. Most of them no longer have it.

Sea Pearl
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
What a shame. I live just down the road from a really big Joann's store. Still might check it out though.

Ashton
11-29-2013, 09:11 PM
What would be a good needle to buy for sewing neoprene?

Katfish
04-15-2014, 09:16 PM
I wanted to let ya'll know that OnlineFabricStore.com sells neoprene (3 colors only, though). I recently ordered 4 sheets and it got here in less than 3 days! Despite seeing negative reviews, I'm glad I gave them the benefit of a doubt.

MerAnthony
04-15-2014, 10:21 PM
I ordered mine from them as well an I got 2 sheets of 2mm soothskin. They are 7 foot long a 4 feet wide. Now I live in upstate NYan the shippin was $27.00 so the total order came to $144.90.
Item: Neoprene sheet, approximately 51" x 83", Black, 2 mm, with Plain backing
Notes: Plain surface is smooth skin
Quantity: 2
Price Ea.: $58.80
Extended: $117.60
================================================== =======

Subtotal: $117.60
Tax: $0.00
ORDER SUBTOTAL: $117.60
(Shipping and handling charges may apply, as described
online during the checkout process.) plus $27.00 shipping

Arie
06-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know who will ship neoprene to Canada?

NixieOona
06-27-2014, 02:54 AM

hey so quick question how many sheets did you have to order to make the whole tail and fluke work??
im new to american units and dont get th measurments on ther site :(
they seam to be the cheepest but i not shure how much i need.
how much did you need?
and how fast did it ship?

Mia
07-07-2014, 12:41 AM
One sheet is usually enough for one tail, with a bit left over for extra fins. As a larger girl, I used one sheet to make a tail, and a belt, and hip fins, and a small dorsal fin.

Slee
08-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Is the 1.5mm too thin for making a good tail? I ask because my primary machine can be wimpy, and yes, half a mm doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it bears asking, since that amounts to 1mm of sewing thickness.

Raayvhen
08-07-2014, 11:02 AM
You'll be fine with 1.5 mm. It just won't be as buoyant.

mermaidsammi
08-07-2014, 03:30 PM
I got. My neoprene from my local frabric land for 20$

Raayvhen
08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
That really doesn't sound right, are you sure it isn't neoprin?

Mermaid Menanna
02-15-2016, 06:40 PM
I just talked to a guy named Ryan at Macro International. They are a neoprene wholesale company. They can accommodate us mers with smaller orders (instead of the bulk orders they typically handle) and their prices are great! They don't have as wide of a variety of colors as some of the other, more expensive retail places, but here's what he quoted me today. 1 sheet, 49" x 89" (with the typical +/- 5% that all of the others also quote), nylon lined on both sides, 1.5mm, is $36.96. You would have to call to find out what they have available at a given time, since they are actually a wholesaler and can only accommodate the smaller quantities with what they have current in stock, but tell him you're a mer and what you need it for. He was a huge help to me. He said this is high quality, closed cell foam neoprene and they sell to most of the major quality wetsuit manufacturers. I will be ordering mine this week, just need to double check my measurements to make sure I'm getting enough. (I am plus size and want a larger fluke, so thinking 3 sheets) I have been all over the internet and couldn't beat this price anywhere.

Just a word of warning... call before you order from most places (unless you're getting the info here from someone who already has ordered) to make sure it is wetsuit quality and waterproof. There is apparently a new fad for neoprene clothing that is NOT designed to wear as wetsuit/underwater wear. I almost made that mistake and could have wasted $100+ on fabric that would have turned out to be useless. When you call just ask if it's designed for making wetsuits.

http://www.macrointlco.com/

A_Koi_Mermaid
04-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Getting ready to order some 2mm neoprene from Foamorder and I think I can get away with the "half neoprene sheets" since I'm not doing the fluke. Does it need to be nylon on both sides? But it looks like the price would only come out to around $50? Maybe I am miscalculating how much I need, based on everyone else's amounts and prices they paid?

MermaidAnnabella
10-08-2017, 02:47 AM
If you have a Jo Ann's Fabric store near you some of them carry 2mm neoprene for $19 per yard. I usually wait for my 50% off coupon and get 2 yards for $20 total!

How much does 2 yards cover? Like your entire tail body, and if so, how tall are you?

Mermaid Kane
10-08-2017, 11:33 AM
How much does 2 yards cover? Like your entire tail body, and if so, how tall are you?

Jo Ann's has cycled it out already. Went to one, asked in person, and got the same answer.

Mermaid Whisper
10-08-2017, 11:58 AM
The post regarding JoAnn’s was over 5 years ago.

I typically get 3 yards of fabric for my tails because I have a competitor and I’m a bit bigger. Average mers could probably just do 2 yards, but you want to make sure it’s as wide as possible (50”+) to get the most out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Clara
10-08-2017, 04:33 PM
I bought my neoprene from Mood Fabrics it comes in many colors and I ordered 4 yards because my fluke at the time was huge but I think that if you have a smaller fin you could get away with 3 yards but I used 2 yards for my leg portion and 2 yards for the fluke part and used scraps to piece together a top. It's important to measure twice and cut/sew once because once you sew it multiple times the neoprene isn't as strong as the first time, because there are tons of needle holes that can tear a apart if you don't adhere the holes together with neoprene cement. Which is why I scraped my neoprene tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talvikko
12-23-2017, 05:18 AM
For European mers, there's a Finnish company called Shelby Outdoor that sells neoprene of various thicknesses and colours as well as the supplies required to work with it.

www.shelbyoutdoor.com

SIF
03-12-2018, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure 2mm is thick enough to give a day of swimming a go in our particular ocean...

SIF
03-12-2018, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Ashton;100152]
Ashton, I used the SMALLEST setting on my Leather-punch(and/or all(pronounced ah-l) and a Yarn Needle until my new machine.

Calypsi
06-21-2018, 11:24 AM
I ordered mine from them as well an I got 2 sheets of 2mm soothskin. They are 7 foot long a 4 feet wide. Now I live in upstate NYan the shippin was $27.00 so the total order came to $144.90.
Item: Neoprene sheet, approximately 51" x 83", Black, 2 mm, with Plain backing
Notes: Plain surface is smooth skin
Quantity: 2
Price Ea.: $58.80
Extended: $117.60
================================================== =======

Subtotal: $117.60
Tax: $0.00
ORDER SUBTOTAL: $117.60
(Shipping and handling charges may apply, as described
online during the checkout process.) plus $27.00 shippingWas this grade 1 or grade 2?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Gail
02-09-2019, 06:56 PM
I got a sheet of 2mm from foamorder.com a couple years ago for $58. I picked it up because their warehouse is in the next town over. Currently it looks like their prices are lower than that.