PDA

View Full Version : Dream Job?

mermaidondine
02-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Its fun to think about all the amazing places you can go as a mermaid. For those fellow aspiring Mers, what is your dream professional mermaiding gig?

I have hopes to work the faire circuit, especially the Hollister Faire and the Northern California Pirate Festival here in Vallejo! The latter is a goal of mine for the summer in fact :-)

It would be AMAZING to perform at the Monterey Bay Aquarium too. I can't imagine how it would feel to swim in that gorgeous kelp forest!

New York Mermaid
02-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Discovery Cove in florida OMG such an oasis I wish i could do a photo shoot there. My other would the Whale shark tank or the beluga tank at the Georgia Aquarium

mermaidondine
02-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Oh my gosh, Discovery Cove is GORGEOUS. A photo shoot there would be freaking uh-mazing... It'd be cool to work for a resort/theme park or aquarium in general, I think, especially something like Discovery or Marine world where its sunny and warm and there are plenty of gorgeous sea creatures around to help inspire. That is the life, my friend! Haha! :-)

New York Mermaid
02-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Im going to Discovery Cove this year because im taking a friend ther for her 21st birthday- its a surprise and she may attempt to kill me because im spending so much, but she's my BFF.

Mermaid Saphira
02-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I dream of swimming with dolphins at (any) aquarium :)

Lania: Ur coming to DC? Thats awesome! I live near by but its quite a hike LOL

New York Mermaid
02-05-2012, 04:56 PM
i mean DC Discovery Cove.. fail on my part

Mermaid Saphira
02-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Oh LOL!

Mermaid Sirena
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I honestly want a solid mermaid job performing on a regular basis, preferably somewhere where I could be a darker mermaid then the disneyfied version people want to see. Otherwise I would adore to be flown around the world to be a mermaid like Hannah. Oh and anything with sharkd :) I love sharks!

Mermaid Lorelei
02-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I've always dreamed of being a tailmaker actually. Don't get me wrong, the actual mermaiding is a massive dream of mine, but there's something so amazing about fulfilling people's tail dreams that I just can't get past.

Mermaid Saphira
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
^ Same here! :D

mermaidondine
02-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I honestly want a solid mermaid job performing on a regular basis, preferably somewhere where I could be a darker mermaid then the disneyfied version people want to see. Otherwise I would adore to be flown around the world to be a mermaid like Hannah. Oh and anything with sharkd :) I love sharks!

I know what you mean. I would love to work something steady, for like a theme or water park. We have a few here in Sac and Marine World is in Vallejo (which has this really amazing Dolphin tank right when you enter the park that I'd love to swim in) - after I start my business and get some experience under my belt, I'm hoping to approach one of them. Granted, it would only be Summertime, since that's when they're open, but still... It would be so awesome!

I've always dreamed of being a tailmaker actually. Don't get me wrong, the actual mermaiding is a massive dream of mine, but there's something so amazing about fulfilling people's tail dreams that I just can't get past.

I hear ya. That is a pretty amazing feeling! I was thinking of possibly venturing into making fabric tails, or even latex ones depending on how my own tail turns out... But I love that there are so many different avenues to travel down in the mer-community! From actual mermaiding to costuming to photography/film... The possibilities are endless :}

Princess Kae-Leah
03-03-2012, 01:25 AM
I'd love to be able to do "meet a mermaid" meet and greet events and other dry events, especially if I can educate people about taking care of the oceans. Any tips on finding such gigs?

Mermaid Sirena
03-03-2012, 08:41 AM
KL Unfortunately I don't have a clue love, maybe if you started a separate thread for that people could brainstorm and share their experience?

AniaR
03-03-2012, 10:08 AM
its not so much a gig... I just really really really want to meet David Suzuki while he's still around!!!

Mermaid Jewel
03-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I'd love to get to the point where I get a flow of jobs and people know who I am outside the Mer-community circuit. And of course, I'd love to perform at some kind of park or I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to do a faire!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
10-29-2012, 09:33 PM
I hadn't thought performing would be my thing, but this month I've been putting on a magic and puppet show for kids at a "haunted house" and "haunted hayride," and for the first time I'm basically the star, and it's not as draining or punishing as I thought it would be... and I get to make people laugh with my jokes and wonder at my magic tricks, and I get to bring the puppets alive. It occurred to me that I haven't heard about any of the other performing merfolk out there using magic tricks as part of their acts. Might be a new direction, particularly if I get some voice training and incorporate singing into the act.

Moongazer
10-30-2012, 12:51 AM
I would love to get my first gig ever, (Paying) Right now my business partner and I are working on 'branding' and merchandising us. We're going to go to small events and conventions around the area to promote ourselves. Its not usually the target audience but it never hurts to get out there!

Capt Nemo
10-30-2012, 02:00 AM
Setting up an underwater photography studio. The facility I had planned had a 40' x 70' x 20' pool that would have a removeable nature set similar to terrain locally. There would also be a smaller aquarium studio with a 10' x 10' x 12' tank, as well as a dry studio. The facility would also have a scenery shop and wardrobe shop. Lighting would be with automated lighting above, and low voltage DC LED lighting underwater. The other studios would have had fixed conventional lighting. All studios would also have a built in hooka diving system to reduce the need and danger of scuba cylinders, and to provide effects like bubble curtains, ect. The main pool would also have a dry viewing area as well as a UW sound system for music and communication.

Some of the ideas were things like birthday parties with mermaids, snorkeling, SASY, and scuba/hooka besides commercial and portrait shooting. The pool would also be available for scuba lessons, mermaid clubs, freediving, ect.

It's what got me into mermaiding.

But a dumb democratic governor killed the film bill that would have given the tax breaks needed to get it built.

Sherl
10-30-2012, 04:50 AM
I haven't started on mermaiding yet, so my first step would be to learn how to swim with a monofin now. If my mermaiding skills are ever good enough someday, I'm going to send in a mermaid job application to my country's Resorts World Sentosa's Oceanarium (opening December 7th this year) and see if I can become the first and local mermaid there. There are zero professional mers in Singapore and my dream is that if my mermaiding pulls through, performing in the Oceanarium will be my dream job, and a breakthrough here.

Mer_Adella
10-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I would have to agree with Sirena....steady mermaid work would be my dream...but I would love to be able to work at the water parks around here in MI as a way to get them business and I mean HEY ITS A WATERPARK!!!! has anyone ever thought to go to a water park and say "how would you like to have a mermaid on staff for shows/swim with kids/etc?" i think that would be my dream job to work at a waterpark and travel to other water parks to help set up for new mermaid tanks and stuff.

MerEmma
10-30-2012, 09:05 AM
I'd love to be a very rich writer. :p

Sherl
10-30-2012, 09:17 AM
@MerEmma That's what my ultimate goal in life is :P *hi-fins* Mermaiding is such a faraway dream!

MerEmma
10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Heh, writing is probably one of my favorite hobbies. Besides swimming. xD

Mer_Adella
10-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I have 2 novels written (back in highschool) that aren't published and I have a whole file cabinent dedicated to storys i have started and haven't finished or ideas i had or covers for books that i have and haven't written. That's on my top list of "things to accomplish" my "bucket list" and my "dream job " list.....i mean how cool would it be to be an author, make a name for yourself, and then be able to buy tails and go places for book signings but also swim in the pool with a tail?

Sherl
10-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I totally agree Mer_Adella :D I want to finish writing at least a YA mermaid novel of my own one day. It'd be awesome to become a mer-author or something XD When are those novels of yours going to be published? MerEmma - I'm going to take up swimming again :)

Mermaid Momo
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
i'd love to be a comic book artist for any publisher (though my dream is to work for marvel on avengers or ultimate spider-man)

Mermaid Harmony
11-17-2012, 04:10 PM
One of my dream jobs, as well as tank diving, would be to be on Mermaid Kariel's Merbabe team. I just emailed her now that I have my tail, and since I live here in Hawaii! Fins crossed, we'll see what she says!

telzey.amberdon
11-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Toymaker for the king.

Blondie
11-17-2012, 09:48 PM
I would love to be a writer for a TV series. That would be amazing...

SeaGlass Siren
11-18-2012, 12:14 AM
I wanted to be a lot of things. Professional Mermaid, detective, forensics scientist, csi, artist, stage/broadway actress, architect, pharmacist, marine biologist, doctor... Now I'm just studying to become a library technician.