PDA

View Full Version : My Adventure

taom
02-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Heya, so I've been gone for a while now. Normally, I wouldn't post anything to alert people to this fact but this time I am because I did something actually exciting. My mom is an international estate planning lawyer, which means she does taxes for people who are international or have assets outside the U.S. So, one of her clients owns a castle in the Czech Republic and she brought me and the boyfriend along. It was exciting. And freeze-your-eyelashes-off cold. The lake next to the castle froze over and the ice was something like 30cm thick. It was intense. We got to walk across the ice and it was sort of scary. Also, I learned that the bottom of bodies of water like that one produce methane which become trapped by the ice covering. When the sun comes up and softens the ice a little, the gas pushes up and causes cracking which sounds like whale noises.

So ya, that's part of what I've been doing. Just thought I'd share.

lots of love,
taom

Mermaid Saphira
02-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Sounds like u had a cold but good time :) Glad u r back!

AniaR
02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
so neat

Mermaid Lorelei
02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
The info on the methane gas is something I've never heard before. Does it really sound like whales?... That's pretty awesome!

Spindrift
02-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Does it smell?

taom
02-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Aqua: Thanks! I'm glad to be back, too.

Lorelei: Yes it does! It's not tremendously loud but it sounds exactly like whale song. What's also crazy about the methane gas is that it also sometimes forms bubbles in the ice which, when you stab open and hold a lighter to, shoots up a huge flame.

Spindrift: No, it doesn't smell but that might just be because it was too cold for our noses to work XP

Alveric
02-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Methane is oderless. Gas companies add the smell as a safety measure. They purposely choose the most noxious combination they can, so people won't ignore the stench and die.

Alveric

Nate Walis
02-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Methane is oderless. Gas companies add the smell as a safety measure. They purposely choose the most noxious combination they can, so people won't ignore the stench and die.

Alveric

That's one of the terrible ironies of the thing, people smell the stench that's added and think there's a gas leak, but when it's carbon monoxide there's no odour at all and they succumb in their sleep.

malinghi
02-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Wow, that sounds like an incredible experience! Any pictures?