PDA

View Full Version : Get to buy used finfolk. Perfect length, waaay too baggy. How much alterations and wh

Mermaid Miradis
07-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Hello! :)

I get to buy a used and good in shape, unique Finfolk tail.
It has the perfect length, but is really baggy. Like really very much baggy (16cm too much at some places).

Does FinFolk offer alterations, and if so, how much are they and how long does it take/when will they probably be able to do it?

Edit: Do you know others that do good, cheap and if finfolk has many clients, faster alterations?

Thank you for your help!

All the best,
Mermaid Miradis

Meilyn
07-21-2016, 06:42 PM
It does not look like you have a Finfolk tail though. ..

Merman Arion
07-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Are you confusing your Delphina tail with Finfolk? :thinks:

Mermaid Miradis
07-22-2016, 02:39 AM
No this is not the Finfolk, because it is being shipped at the moment to me. I am sorry if that was a bit confusing. :)

Merman Arion
07-22-2016, 03:04 AM
No this is not the Finfolk, because it is being shipped at the moment to me. I am sorry if that was a bit confusing. :)

Huh? I'm trying to understand the situation.

You bought an used and good in shape Finfolk tail but you already know it's "really very much baggy" (at least 16cm) without trying it on yourself.

So why did you buy it then? :confused:

Do you have pictures?

Mermaid Miradis
07-22-2016, 04:30 AM
It is too big (comparing my measurments to the tail's measurments), but the length is perfect. I haven't bought it yet, but I will try it on. She shipped it to me nonetheless. Is the word 'baggy' a bad description (I'm sorry, English is not my motherlanguage)? :)

KateyMermaid
07-22-2016, 07:19 AM
She shipped you a tail without payment? And you bought it knowing it was way too big? I'm confused. Are you referring to the pink Betta finfolk tail that was for sale on Facebook a week or so ago?

I know it is possible to take in a silicone tail, but I don't know if any tail makers currently offer that service. You might have to do it yourself.

I guess photos would help. If it's just the waist I think you could fix that yourself. If it's the whole tail that's too big, that might require redoing the seams. I'm not sure though. Not much of a SFX person. Can't say I know a lot about tail making.

Thalassa
07-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Doesn't mer nation offer tail fixes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KateyMermaid
07-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Doesn't mer nation offer tail fixes?

Do they? Even for tails that are not MerNation? I know they repair their own tails.

That'd be awesome if they offered tail repairs/alterations! Might have to do some digging on that.

AniaR
07-22-2016, 09:57 AM
A trick for baggy tails is to wear a pair of tights underneath it. it can help with the bagginess. makes it very comfortabe too. 16cm is only 6 inches which sounds like a lot, but can be compensated with by wearing pants. :) in the past I have found baggy tails easier to work with than skin tight. it's just a matter of wearing the right thing under neath

try that first before you sell it. you may be surprised!

merwandering
07-22-2016, 10:24 AM
My daughter has worn my tail a few times and it is really big on her, definitely >6" in some places, but she swims easily in it and it doesn't look at all off. I was actually a little worried that once she swims in her own tail, which is pretty tight, that it will be harder

Thalassa
07-22-2016, 10:38 AM
From the mernation thread:
"MerNation is proud to announce a new facet of our company, the e-MER-gency Clinic. Do you have a tail that has seen better days and you can’t reach your original tailmaker or they won’t fix it? Let our team of EMT’s (emergency mermaid technicians) repair your tail and bring it back to its original glory! We understand that a mermaid tail can be a pricy investment, and you want to ensure your tail lasts as long as possible. Over time, all tails will show wear and tear, we are here to help keep yours looking great for as long as possible.

What we repair (list is by no means all inclusive)
Silicone damage
Holes/tears
Broken monofins
Chipping/fading paint
Incorrect sizing

How it works
Contact us at themernation@gmail.com to begin the process of bringing your tail back to life. As with all of our services, we promise a response within 24 hours. Give us as much information as possible, including pictures of your problem areas.

Relevant information includes:
What your tail is made of. Ex. Platinum cure silicone, tin cure silicone, latex, spandex, neoprene etc..
Who made your tail
How long you have had your tail
What the problem(s) are
Where the problems are located
What might have caused the issue
How often do you use your tail

Once we have all of the information, we will evaluate your situation and determine if, and how, we can help. From there we will develop your “course of treatment” and move forward.

How much does it cost
Each tail is taken on a case-by-case basis. Cost will be based on the severity of the damage/how extensive the repair is and will be fully disclosed and agreed upon before any repairs begin. The customer is responsible for all associated shipping costs. There is NO COST for an initial evaulation, feel free to email us pictures and we will be happy to take a look."

Thalassa
07-22-2016, 10:38 AM
You might want to check if they're still doing it, though, as the info about it seems to have disappeared from their site and Facebook.

KateyMermaid
07-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Ooooooo I might email them. After this season is over I'm thinking about revamping my paint job. I would rather have MerNation do it than butcher it myself.

Mermaid Miradis
07-24-2016, 02:00 AM
I contacted them and after discussing it we decided to not send it in, as it is risky, because it is a huge alteration. I won't buy this tail anymore, as I already found another tailmaker from whom I will probably get a tail to my measurments for the same price incl. shipping. But thank you for all your help! :)