PDA

View Full Version : New Development, Need Advice

Alveric
02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I was just talking to the missus the other night when she gave me a surprise. We were speculating about what we would do with the royalties if the novel sells well (dreaming actually). She looked at me seriously and said, "I want a tail." She tends to look upon the tangents I've gone off on the last couple of decades with tolerance rather than enthusiasm, however, she is serious about this. So, I'm actually shopping for a tail now.

She's a good swimmer, so she wants one she can swim in. I thought I'd get her a monofin first for her to practice and learn with (She's never used fins of any sort before). If she likes that, a reasonably priced fabric tail is next. We don't want to spend a lot til we're sure she takes to being a Mer. Also, neither of us are good with D.I.Y. so we'll want one made for her.

What's a good beginner's monofin?
Who makes inexpensive fabric swimming tails?

A final note: like me, she's on the plus side of fifty and has trouble with her knees. How would a monofin affect that?

Alveric

Mermaid Lorelei
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Thankfully, with monofin swimming, you actually don't use your knees much if you swim properly. It's all centered around your core and your ankles. I would personally suggest she try a pair of bi-fins first, simply because she's never tried fins before. Some pools have extra pairs that you can borrow while you're there, so you might ask around. If you do go straight into using a monofin, I suggest a finis rapid. They're strong enough to propel you well without being too large and heavy to learn in. It's actually what I learned in.

As for the fabric tail issue, I have no experience there. :P

Gem Stone
02-08-2012, 01:30 PM
A fifty dollar monofin (wave?) by finis fins company is a good choice for permanent swimming in tail type of deal

LindseyLu
02-08-2012, 02:05 PM
That is so cool Alveric!!!! I know I was thrilled when my football/nascar lovin boyfriend was actually trying to help me with my tailmaking ideas. I thought for sure he would think it was childish and dismiss it, but he emrbrassed the fact that I was in love with the idea and has been really great about all my crazy ideas! It sure means a lot when you have that kind of support!

As for buyin her a monofin to start, I the best starter would be the finis foil. Here is a video full of info for you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBBaOSsUaM

If you don't think she would be interested in that, here is a good video that shows you the other monofins finis offers, and their benefits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-7xNIg4c3M

I am a lap swimmer and do currently have a finis rapid...but I have wide feet too so it gets fairly uncomfortable after 15-20 minuted of swimming. I am purchasing a foil for my training purposes as it should be much for comfortable as the entire foot pocket is flexible rubber.

As for a tail...I'm not much help there as I have only made them and never purchased one. But, for a good prive the magictail.de looks very nice! :) Good luck with the novel and everything else!!!! :)

Mermaid Photine
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I started with a finis wave. I had been swimming mermaid-style for a while before then, and after a summer with the wave I had thought up the improvements I would want were I to get a new monofin. I have made a fin for next swimming season with some UHMW plastic, a pair of scuba fins, and some other stuff. If I had been able to find a smaller sheet of plastic than the one I got, the cost would have probably been about the same as the finis wave.

I find that it's much more efficient to kick with my shoulders, if that makes sense, than to kick with my knees. Yes, my knees are used, but the motion is much more like a dolphin.

Neria
02-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I have two fabric tails, one from mermagica and one from magic tails (the one in Germany) I would definetly recomend magic tails for a starter tail. They look very realistic in and out of water because they have a beautiful scale print design on them and they are relatively cheap. I love mine! http://www.magictail.de/

Alveric
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks all for the info.
@Marina: We watched the Magic Tails videos. We're leaning towards one of those now, but we'll keep looking for a while. The looking is part of the fun.

Alveric