PDA

View Full Version : Merfolk as animals

theMerFanc
08-19-2016, 05:16 PM
So, during my swim Today, I came to realize that my brand of playfulness and activity level is very akin to that of a puppy. I'm not nearly as graceful and elegant as I've seen other Mers around here - my swimming is very choppy and - oddly enough - on the surface I rely heavily on my webbed gloves and doggie paddling.

this got me thing about how Merfolk are typically displayed as very human, very sentient creatures. They are gorgeous, graceful, elegant human-hybrids that just have some animalistic exterior but it doesn't seem to have much effect on their personalities or lore. So I was curious if there is any media (movies, books, tv) that portray Mers as more animal then Human. The only thing I can think of is Harry Potter where they are vicious beasts (which is a little extreme in the opposite direction for my tastes xD). Or perhaps something a little less human in appearance? I am starting to get into latex prosthetic design and I would be willing to create some additional pieces to help my mersona turn out a little less human looking. I realize that is probably why most Mers are portrayed that way - it is hard to make something beautiful and human looking come across as anything else.

Mermaid Summerlilly
08-19-2016, 05:45 PM
As for the doggy paddling, same lol, :P