PDA

View Full Version : Lunocent monofin idea...

Mermaasai
02-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Alright mermaids and mermens...

I've seen this lunocet monofin around and I'm tired of lusting after it..
And frankly... I dont have the money to spend on buying one..
SO..

I'm interested in making one!
Yes i realize there was a lot of time spent working on the real thing and there are some serious brains behind it but... I think I could make a close enough version that it would suit my desire to move more swiftly through water and maybe even achieve a decent breach!

I found some Q. and A. on the product.. the last question was my favorite.

"Q.
How is the Lunocet different from a conventional monofin
A.
The heart of a Lunocet and its primary distinguishing characteristic is the set of precisely designed and pitching hydrofoils about optimally positioned pitch axles. Unlike drag based propulsion employed by virtually all conventional mono and bi-fins, Lunocets create lift based propulsion similar to the lift created by an aircraft wing. The symmetrical nature of the oscillating lift based hydrofoils allows for a more matched output of thrust between the up stroke and the down stroke of the swimmer than that of conventional fins. Other unique features include improved power transmission to the hydrofoils via a rigid machined aluminum footplate and stretch resistant non-rubber foot-pockets. While most bi-fins and monofins produce the majority of thrust on the down stroke, the increased thrust on the up stroke coupled with improved active surfaces efficiency and increased power transmission enables the Lunodiver to achieve and maintain higher speed.

Q.
How fast can you swim with the Lunocet?
A.
While it is difficult to determine what speed can be attained by the average person, we feel that 8 miles per hour will be routinely exceeded by proficient Lunodivers.

Q.
What is the total weight?
A.
The weight of the Lunocet will vary somewhat due to the customizable dimensions based on diver anatomics but on average a Lunocet weighs about 2.5 lbs and is slightly positive in buoyancy.

Q.
Does swimming with the Lunocet strain your ankles?
A.
The Lunocet allows for higher power transmission with reduced strain on the ankles. Ankle strain is a problem associated with the leverage of aft extended surfaces of conventional monofins and bi-fins The Lunocet pitch axle is designed in an ankle friendly, higher-power-transmission position. It is slightly aft of the foil’s leading edge, ensuring increased effective amplitude and creating what is known as the “flick phenomenon:” a quick burst of thrust at the end of each stroke.

Q.
Is the Lunocet difficult to use?
A.
Swimming with a Lunocet is unlike any other type of swimming. There is a technique which is not difficult for most to learrn but which requires a good deal of practice to master. In fact there are no master-Lunodivers at the moment and that includes the designer of the Lunocet, Ted Ciamillo. The custom design process takes into consideration differences in body strength, mass, and length. Experienced monofinners will have no trouble adjusting to the Lunocet technique, while the novice diver may need a brief period of familiarization. The Lunocet distinguishes itself from other monofins because it emphasizes the use of core strength as well as the large leg muscles. Once proper form is achieved, increased power, speed, and agility follow.

Q.
Is it possible to breach completely out of water?
A.
A complete human breach is Ted Ciamillo’s sub 4-minute-mile and the Lunocet team has set full human breaching as a primary goal. Through proper Lunocet design, perfection of technique, and muscular conditioning, we believe it is only a matter of time.

Q.
Are mermaids real?
A.
Of course they are."

Also this is some information I have been able to gather so far on the specifications of the fin-

It is a 2.5-pound (1.1-kilogram) monofin made of carbon fiber and fiberglass that attaches to an aluminum foot plate at a precise 30-degree angle. With almost three times the surface area of conventional swim fins, the semiflexible Lunocet provides plenty of propulsion. The key to the 42-inch- (one-meter-) wide fin's speed: its shape and angle, both of which are modeled with scientific precision on a dolphin's tail.

Things I dont know:
A: Does the actual fin move ie: when you kick your feet does the fin part angle on a hinge AT ALL. It kiiiiind of looks like it does but I cant be certain.. I havent seen enough upclose footage etc of it to know yet..

B: Will the fin be horribly effected by the addition of the mermaid tail suit part?
I think that it might put some drag on it since the fin wont be completely exposed so water can freely move around it... but I think that if the fin and the suit and melded together tightly enough.. that it might help with the aquadynamics.. (any input?) I'm not looking to be able to do what the lunocent does on its own, but I'd like to improve the speed that can be reached underwater with the full tail on.

There are lots of other things I dont know and that I'm going to run into but.... I'm sure I can work through it.

Fortunately my father in law is a retired satellite engineer... he builds things like jet engines and crap for FUN and I cant wait to pick his brain and team up on the project for this impoverished mergal.

If you have any input or ideas or even suggestions I'm open for them!
I dont even know if it would make that much of a difference from the regular monofins we can get our hands on for reasonable prices.. what do you think?

Mermaid Lorelei
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
I toyed with this idea for a while, but I could never figure out how to keep the hinged action while it was in the tail.

I definitely suggest getting your father in law's input though! And I'm eager to see where you go with this.

Neria
02-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Neat! If only it wasn't so expensive.....

malinghi
02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Oh man, this is such a good idea for a project, you totally should! I actually tried to do this once, but I never got past making one prototype. I learned a ton though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3y0Bxb1nJc

There were tons of little problems with it that I now understand better how to avoid. I need to get to bed right now, but I can post more info about how I made it and what I learned, if you like.

merboy78xy
02-16-2012, 12:17 AM
I thought on this same idea as well, but I too would need an engineer to help
I actually have some other ideas I would like to experiment with in terms of "tail making" but I would need someone who is handy both with the engineering details that I don't have as much experience with, as well as someone who would be interested in working along side me in the manufacturing. I'm hoping someday to take the time to try to make such a partnership/friendship to play around with these ideas.
makes me wish I took more science than I did... and I took my fair share!

Mermaasai
02-16-2012, 12:42 AM
OoOooOoOOOOO Malinghi! Very nice! I'd love to hear some more about what you managed to work out.
Might save some trial and error time.
I'm fairly certain the design is within our grasp.
I'm most interested in how you attached it to your foot- as to me, that was the most puzzling part for a good sturdy fin. Was it comfortable?
The actual fin part I dont think will present as much challenge with John (my father-n-law) helping with the engineering side.
And I have a fighter jet mechanic/engineer for a brother so I'm DARN TOOTIN certain we can lock this down. Fabrication will be a pain but I know of a few fabricators in my area that might be equipped for the project.

Again- my biggest concern is the way it would fit into the tail and what that would do to the drag and speed and how it would effect overall efficiency.

Merboy< With our brains and determination combined!!!! ;)

Odette
02-16-2012, 12:55 AM
that was such a smart design! they really studied their hydrodynamics.this totally makes the snapping action of the dolphin kick so much easier! :yay: to accomplish this. you will seriously need to consider how precise you must be and the math used. and if you can figure those out(its in hydrodynamic and biothecnology books but i can never get it right) I WILL GIVE YOU SO MUCH APPLAUSE!

Mermaid Photine
02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
That's such an awesome fin! I found this video of one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ejeWbBvHE
The guy swims so fast, it reminds me of some sort of predatory fish!

Mermaid Saphira
02-17-2012, 04:00 PM
You could make the monofin out of something clear then just cover it w/ the fabric (or latex/silicone)! IDK..just a though

leeloo
09-12-2012, 03:34 AM
Did you ever get around to making one?