PDA

View Full Version : What I would do for my merfriend...

Mermaid Saphira
02-19-2012, 06:02 PM
The first time I brought my tail over my friends house she was so excited, I let her try it on and she loved it! She was a total natural swimming in it! I would love to help her make one, but we are afraid that her parents will say no (they are alittle over protected)!! I know she would just LOVE to have a beautiful purple tail of her own, it's just the parents that get in the way.... What would you do if you were in this sitiuation?? :(

Mermaasai
02-19-2012, 06:26 PM
First of all.. WTF?! what parents wouldnt indulge their childs love of all things cute and magical?
Have they seen your tail?
What could possibly be a reason to say no?

Its not expensive, you already know how to make them, and its fun...
Thats a win win for parents imo.

SweeteSiren
02-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Aqua,

SweeteSiren
02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Aqua, before giving up on the parents, have her ask them. They're probably afraid that the tail is a drowning hazard - which it can be for people not used to swimming in one. If she lets them know that you're an expert & you give them a chance to ask you questions and see how the tail works they might feel more comfortable with it. I definitely wouldn't make her one without their OK though.

Mermaid Saphira
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Her parents are just a little intimidating! They ground her for stupid stuff sometimes (ex: she can NOT text a minute after 10 pm)
I'll try..wish my luck :p

malinghi
02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
How to handle the situation really depends on what their objection might be. If they're concerned its unsafe, she should convince them to let her swim with a monofin, and when they realize its safe they should probably realize that swimming in a tail is alright too.

If they object cause they think mermaiding is somehow bizarre or inappropriate, try to explain to them that it isn't. You can show them all the websites online related to mermaiding and to cosplay in general to explain that its not as obscure as they might think. If they're still opposed, try to find a compromise on the issue, and they'll probably come around over time. If absolutely nothing can change their mind, then your friend might need to wait until she graduates from high school and leaves home. How old are you guys?

Mermaid Saphira
02-19-2012, 11:17 PM
^ middle high! And thanx for the tips ;)

neonmermaid
02-21-2012, 01:59 AM
I hate to be thaaaat mermaid that is the bad influence...but let's face it, not all mermaids are sweet and pure ;)

My suggestion? LIE. Tell her parents you are making the tails for a video project you have to do for your history or English class. Tell them you were assigned the story of Galatea and have to re-enact the story for a video project.

OR...my motto is always "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Again...sorry for being a bad influence, but being a mermaid is slightly about being rebellious and free! Remember everyone's favorite little mermaid, Ariel? Her father King Triton came around in the end. She's just a reverse-Ariel. :) Good luck darling!

Mermaid Saphira
02-21-2012, 07:07 AM
XD that was actually our last resort and thanQ

Alveric
02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
As the parent of a teenager, I wouldn't recommend lying. If they find out, and parents almost always do, they will be soured against you and the whole concept.

It's hard for me to believe that any parent would thwart their child, unless they feel they have a good reason. Show them that their worries are baseless and they should come around.

Alveric