PDA

View Full Version : What's the best thing to use to imprint scales on a latex tail?

Blondie
02-22-2012, 01:19 AM
I've been browsing some different methods of scale imprinting on tails and I've seen chicken wire, netting, and some metal grading use. But for realistic like fish scales, what do you think is the best thing to use to imprint?

Mermaid Star
02-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Are you thinking of using Alex? Mertailor, in the past, has used fishnet. So if you like his look, that is what you should use. The one with out the knots. The grating will provide a scale that has a bigger space between them. Chicken wire give you a hex shape. It really depends on what you want, look wise, in a scale. At one point, I found a mold online that was ment for sugar that looked just like scales. Just look up scale mold online and after som searching you will find it. I thought it would make a great impression/imprint

neonmermaid
02-22-2012, 03:32 AM
I bought chicken wire esque stuff and will be trying it tomorrow. I'll post photos :)

malinghi
02-22-2012, 08:43 AM
In her tutorial on making a scale top, Aubrin used the netting that comes with a package of tangerines, which produced pretty small, densely spaced scales.

http://mernetwork.com/imgs/How%20to%20Make%20a%20Scale%20Top.pdf

Blondie
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Are you thinking of using Alex? Mertailor, in the past, has used fishnet. So if you like his look, that is what you should use. The one with out the knots. The grating will provide a scale that has a bigger space between them. Chicken wire give you a hex shape. It really depends on what you want, look wise, in a scale. At one point, I found a mold online that was ment for sugar that looked just like scales. Just look up scale mold online and after som searching you will find it. I thought it would make a great impression/imprint

I've seen those before, sometimes I've seen them look REALLY good, but other times I've heard they flop and it doesn't look that great... I'll look up some scale molds ^^ Thanks

Blondie
02-22-2012, 08:23 PM
I bought chicken wire esque stuff and will be trying it tomorrow. I'll post photos :)
I'll keep an eye out for it :) I liked Shelly's blue tail that was impressed with the chicken wire. But I'm afraid if I tried it, it'd look too...Geometric haha!

Blondie
02-22-2012, 08:25 PM
In her tutorial on making a scale top, Aubrin used the netting that comes with a package of tangerines, which produced pretty small, densely spaced scales.

http://mernetwork.com/imgs/How to Make a Scale Top.pdf

That's interesting! I've never seen or heard of that method before. It looks good for a top, but I'm not sure how well the netting would with when covering a whole tail. I think it'd become very labor intensive opposed to chicken wire or metal grating.