PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it really...?

Sephina
02-22-2012, 06:56 PM
I know I just got my first tail, however I've gotten an idea stuck in my head for a luna moth inspired tail and it just refuses to get out of my head. I don't have the money right now to get a tail and I thought about making my own slowly over time. One of my biggest questions is how hard is it for someone who has never made anything like this before to do it? I would really love to do my own tail but if I'm likely to waste more then having one made by someone then I'd just get someone to make it.

My plan was to follow something similar to how Star is doing her tail however I have no idea what to use to make the negative molds, or if it is even slightly easy to get latex, or silicone where I live. And to 'attach' the silicone/latex to the neophrene do you just lay it on the mold while the latex/silicone is wet?

Mermaid Saphira
02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
^ Maybe you could start out with a fabric test tail first and work your way up to making the moth tail you have in mind ;)

Sephina
02-22-2012, 08:25 PM
I know I should do that, But I'm one of those people that like to jump into the hardest way to do things. It's awful I know. :P

malinghi
02-23-2012, 09:04 AM
I know you want to dive in to the deep end first, but you really need to find the willpower to build up some skills before you attempt a silicone tail. If you're ready for a silicone tail a fabric tail should be a cakewalk, and you'll be done in no time so it won't matter. If making a fabric tail is time consuming for you, then its a good thing you didn't start with a silicone tail first.

Sephina
02-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I was thinking of doing latex first as I've heard that silicone is really difficult. I'm pretty certain that a fabric tail would be easy to the point of me getting bored half-way through since I usually do huge elaborate dresses for conventions with hours of embroidery, hand dying and adding gemstones to it. I've yet to make a dress that didn't take me 150hours+. I really don't want to buy the materials then have it sit around and nothing be done with it.

Mermaid Photine
02-23-2012, 04:49 PM
If you have that much skill, put it into your fabric tail to make it interesting for you. Bead it or some other awesomeness. Or, make it in one night while watching a good movie. :)

AniaR
02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
I was Raven's first silicone tail... :D and that worked out well. Just go for it, run some tests like star and dr seaweed. We have all the stuff here for it, I'd even sell you my practice monofin if you'd like :D I had it so I could practice without ruining my mertailor tail, but now swimming with it is awkward after trying the giant competitor I dont wanna go back :p

AniaR
02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Sephina I have the Finis Rapid Monofin. I paid aprox 100$ for it including SH. I swam with it once to practice and it's a great monofin, and great for building a tail around. You wouldnt have to search online for monofins, they're frequently out of stock :p Also, I could use the $$ to buy the art portfolio I wanna get for my tail. :3 so lemme know if you're interested.

Mermaid Star
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I would be happy to answer any of your questions. But even when I was preparing to make the tail I am working on now, I made a test fabric tail to check the measurements. It will only take you about an hour to cut it out and sew it. Then take it to the pool to test to make sure your measurements work.

This tail it's the first tail I have made like this and the molds you see, are my first molds. As long as you do your research and are prepared to make mistakes then doing it your self really isn't bad . :)

MermaidRaegan
04-13-2012, 03:43 PM
I would also suggest going with a fabric tail first. I've also spent weeks working on elaborate costume peices with lots of miniscule details (all done by hand I might add- ouch!) and I still did a fabric first. It helped me learn some tricks of the trade with shaping flukes, measurements, and doing stretch seam stitches. And whenever I got bored, I just thought of ways to make it harder, like bejeweling and painting. If you want to jump straight into a silicone tail, then more power to ya! But I would suggest the fabric fin first.

Kanti
04-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I started out with an alex/neoprene tail and it wasn't too hard.
But if you have a design you REALLY want to perfect, I'd start with a more simple design
that you're sure you won't be spending a lot of money and effort on just to practice your
tail-making skills.
I'd only start with a fabric tail if you really like them. I don't care for them much so I never
wanted to make one xD

Mermaasai
04-13-2012, 09:32 PM
I wasn't huge on fabric tails either, I'm a go big or go home type person too..
BUT I did see the need to know exactly how to get my measurements EXACT and I wanted a working knowledge of how I would sew the neoprene together OR bond the silicone scales together to perfectly fit my form.
I'm really big on perfection... I dont like saggy or baggy.. and I wont wear it if I dont feel gorgeous in it.
So that being said.. I did make a fabric tail.. and actually found that I loved it.
Its a great tail to play around in and practice while constructing the more complicated tail.
And its hands on knowledge about how to fit things to your body to perfection before doing it in a material you can't alter later..