PDA

View Full Version : New Mer in Seattle!

Shell Bell
03-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Hello mers! I'm Shell Bell, and I started tail swimming and lurking here last spring. Why just lurking? Well, I am generally shy, and it took a couple weeks, a few monofin swims, and some progress on my fabric tail before I gathered the courage to join! Sadly, all the psyching up was for naught, as I was completely unable to activate my account. Mermaiding continued, but there was no posting for me. By the time my account was activated, my life had gotten crazy and imposed a tail-swimming hiatus on me. :(

Things are easing up a little now though, and with summer coming up I have started swimming again! And, lo and behold, I have an account here already activated and waiting for me. : P I finally finished painting my fabric tail, so it is once again water-safe, and am already scheming for my next fabric tail. It will have so many fin-ruffles!!! I also have some thoughts for the one after that too... (Perhaps with spines and armor. :D)

For a little about me... I am a nerd/geek and cosplayer in the Seattle area. Hobbies include (but are in no way limited to - I have way too many hobbies) reading, dancing, and gaming. I have always loved mermaids, and grew up adoring Ariel, Splash's Madison, and even Marina (from "Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid", which was a great film but also rather depressing for a little girl who likes mermaids) I adore swimming, and while it was never a serious sport for me, I have always felt comfortable in the water. Being a mermaid is honestly more an extension or offshoot of my cosplay and generally eccentric nature than an intrinsic part of my identity, but I enjoy it greatly regardless!

Also, I ramble.

So, after all this time and the adventures that got me here, I am excited to be a part of this community!

Slim
03-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the mernetwork. You sound like a great addition to this wonderful place. I actually have a friend I used to work with that moved to Seattle. Seem that city is getting more popular every year.

Ashe
03-08-2017, 11:56 PM
Welcome to MerNetwork :)
I adore Seattle like a home. I'm up in Bothell with some family for a good portion of each summer, so pretty. Do you swim in the lakes much?

Mermaid Tula
03-09-2017, 01:08 AM
Welcome to Mernetwork! I'm down in Idaho, but I have a ton of friends and family up in Tacoma, Kent, and Cashmere. ^_^

Shell Bell
03-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Aww, thanks everyone! I'm excited to be here! Okay, it's been a while since I was on a forum, let's see if I remember how to do this...

Welcome to the mernetwork. You sound like a great addition to this wonderful place. I actually have a friend I used to work with that moved to Seattle. Seem that city is getting more popular every year.
It is absolutely getting more popular! It's a great place and I love it here, rain and all, but the influx of people is a little alarming at times. Definitely experiencing some growing pains! I have been house hunting lately, and it's been...interesting.

Welcome to MerNetwork :)
I adore Seattle like a home. I'm up in Bothell with some family for a good portion of each summer, so pretty. Do you swim in the lakes much?
Ooh, Bothell is great! I have not actually swam in lakes much here (it's too cold for most of the year, and I skipped last summer - thank goodness that most pools are okay with tails) I have a list of locations to check out this summer though! If I find any cool ones, maybe we could go swimming or something. :)

Welcome to Mernetwork! I'm down in Idaho, but I have a ton of friends and family up in Tacoma, Kent, and Cashmere. ^_^
It's cool that you know people here! It's a fun place to visit, and the places you mentioned are far enough away that you are not in the city crush (especially Cashmere - had to google that one! : P)

Mermaid Mia
03-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Im in eastern washington but have family and redmond and come up to seattle to cosplay at sakuracon every year and generally spend some time there in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shell Bell
03-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Im in eastern washington but have family and redmond and come up to seattle to cosplay at sakuracon every year and generally spend some time there in the summer

Oh cool! I'm planning to go to Sakuracon too. :) It's a fantastic con, though I need to recover from ECCC before I begin plotting for it. We could totally do some summer swimming as well!

Mermaid Mia
03-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Oh cool! I'm planning to go to Sakuracon too. :) It's a fantastic con, though I need to recover from ECCC before I begin plotting for it. We could totally do some summer swimming as well!

I would love to go to ECCC some year but that will probably have to wait until i live there :/
I think there are a couple of mers here going to sakuracon... perhaps a pool meetup is in order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shell Bell
03-09-2017, 07:29 PM
I would love to go to ECCC some year but that will probably have to wait until i live there :/
I think there are a couple of mers here going to sakuracon... perhaps a pool meetup is in order?

Pool meetup sounds great! ECCC is awesome, but it's got its own set of downsides. Whenever you are ready to go, my one piece of advice it to get your tickets as soon as they go up - they are selling out faster each year!

Triton-Mahtlinnie
03-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Hello! Werlcome fellow Seattleite! :3

I'm on Lake Union in a sailboat, so I'm primarily a lake-swimming mer, haha. A shame I won't be at Sakuracon this year, some of the local merfolk are doing panels at NorWesCon instead

Shell Bell
03-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Hello! Werlcome fellow Seattleite! :3

I'm on Lake Union in a sailboat, so I'm primarily a lake-swimming mer, haha. A shame I won't be at Sakuracon this year, some of the local merfolk are doing panels at NorWesCon instead

Hello! Wow, living in a sailboat has got to be cool! I wish Norwescon and Sakuracon were not always on the same weekend - I have heard really good things about it and would love to go. :( It's cool that there are mers doing panels!

Triton-Mahtlinnie
03-11-2017, 01:41 AM
- my swimming pool is right outside my front door. Well, in the summer at least.

Norwescon and Sakuracon have always been on the same weekend since forever. This is actually my first year at Norwescon, because I normally go to Sakuracon instead