PDA

View Full Version : LADIES deal with that time of the month in eco friendly style!

AniaR
02-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Men, this is a thread for the ladies! You're more than welcome to read but if the red text isn't enough to send you away just know you're getting fair warning hehehe. This will be totally full of TMI.

So ladies, you may not realize it but in addition to being painful and annoying your time of the month can be pretty gosh darn hard on the environment! Sanitary pads are made out of similar things as diapers and then some. They dont break down in landfills, and we go through a LOT of them. Tampons can break down faster depending on what their made of and where they are disposed- but the stuff they're made out of can sometimes induce toxic shock in women and they can also leave an awful lot of bad plastic waste around.

I wanted to share with you some of the research Ive done on this topic, suggestions for alternatives you may not know about, and start a conversation on a bit of a taboo subject! Everyone woman in the world will go through this at some point in their life and North American society has us conditioned to think we shouldn't ever talk about it, it's all very dirty, and should be dealt with in private. I say, no way! :D

So pads. Like I said- an awful lot of plastic waste, not only in the pad itself but the wrapper. Most of them come in cardboard boxes. Those can be composted, put in a green bin, collected with cardboard recycle, or even if you throw them out- they will break down. We have many more options for pads than the ones you see on TV and for most instances you actually DONT have to go to a special store or order online (though I'll share those options)

Most grocery stores these days have all natural food and product isles. They carry several brands of eco-friendly and all natural/organic pads. They work just as well, have less packaging, and are made of products easier on your whole area down there (no bad chemicals!). Women who find themselves struggling with allergies to pads should find the organic ones cause no issues. You can read more about organic pads in books like "Gorgeously Green" as well as a lot of other natural alternatives for women for EVERYTHING. See more info on this topic specifically here: http://holisticbeauty.net/sanitary_napkins_and_tampons.aspx did you know asbestos has been used in pads and tampons :O it encourages bleeding. Ahhh, do not want! Organic and natural pads are just as affordable as other ones. Sometimes in my experience they've been cheaper! Buy them at grocery stores in the natural food isle, I've seen them at drugstores, and you can buy online.
(you can also get pads for women with bladder issues from this same brand)
http://holisticbeauty.net/ProductImages/products/curved.jpg

Reusable pads are a new trend! They aren't as gross as they sound, in fact they're adorable and a modernized version of what women used before disposable pads. Now a days you can get them in many styles and cute fabric. They're starting to be carried in more main streamed stores but you can usually ALWAYS get them at sex stores and online! http://lunapads.com/ Believe it or not, my university actually had a workshop for making them and you can find and buy tutorials online for doing so. No chemicals, no need to worry about breaking down, and a lot more sanitary than you'd believe. You'll save a LOT of money, and they aren't gross to clean. If you buy them from a dealer you'll get all the instructions you need- or you can look it up online. This company I've linked also sells period panties with these pad built in for over night use. No more worrying about ruining your cute panties by sleeping in a pad. Give them a try- you may never change back and mother earth will thank you for not pumping her ground full of plastic that will never go away!
http://lunapads.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/h/e/heavy-flow-starter-kit-web.jpg

Tampons! Many women use them because they're easier, less fear of leaks and ruining clothes, and they can wear a variety of clothes and swim without fear. Like the organic pads you can also get organic tampons. Even if you can switch to tampons that are cardboard applicator based instead of plastic you'll all ready be helping the environment. Also, you should NEVER flush an applicator! Even if they say "flushable". Those of us in Halifax will tell you the harbour is FULL of tampon applicators- the ocean is not going to break those babies down for you. You can buy these online, at health food stores, and in most grocery stores in the natural food isle. I've seen them at Shoppers Drugmart too.

http://holisticbeauty.net/ProductImages/products/super20ct.jpg

If you really wanna be ambitious consider the Diva Cup. The diva cup is a reusable silicone vaginal insert. It goes in just like a tampon though you dont need an applicator. Once inside you it spread out the same way a tampon does but instead of absorbing all that stuff it collects it. You take it out the same way you do a tampon and you feel it no more or less than a tampon. You can wear it for longer than pads or tampons (12 hours), can be worn over night, it's a one time purchase (though good to replace every few years) so it'll save you so much money, cleans very easily, less chance of leaks, and comes in different sizes if you're a woman who's had a baby! I haven't used it but I know many many women who have and swear by it. And think, just like the reusable pads you'd be totally stopping all that plastic pollution! You can purchase online and it's carried in many sex shops. http://lunapads.com/divacup/divacup-kits/diva-cup.html

http://lunapads.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/d/i/divacup_1.jpg

You should know sex shops are so much more than sex shops! They tend to be HEALTH shops especially for women! Most carry books about reproductive system and urinary system health- not everything has to do with sex! As women we have a LOT going down in that area. They have all these amazing books and guests speakers and have workshops. In fact, I got most of my help while in the process of being diagnosed with my illness from going into one of these shops and talking to someone. They got me the right books, helped me come up with the right things to say and ask the doctor, and even alerted me to a workshop going on about my illness! So don't just assume these places are for bedtime fun ;)

I hope you've found this helpful and informative. I hope some of you will have the courage to try some of these ideas out! I can try and answer any questions you have on the topic :) Thanks for being brave enough to read.

Mermaid Saphira
02-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Patterened pads that are also eco-friendly? Geez, what will they come up with next? XD

AniaR
02-25-2012, 07:20 PM
they're kinda awesome :3

Mermaid Saphira
02-25-2012, 07:22 PM
^ They are! What is the link for the patterned ones? :)

Princess Kae-Leah
02-25-2012, 07:27 PM
I still use conventional pads myself, but I'd like to at least consider switching to a more eco-friendly alternative. I haven't seen many eco-friendly pads in the stores I usually shop at.

Mermaid Saphira
02-25-2012, 07:30 PM
^ Same here..pity more stores should open up to eco-friendly products XP

Princess Kae-Leah
02-25-2012, 07:42 PM
I think the only time I've seen eco feminine hygiene products was in this little independently owned health food store in my town, but they were pretty expensive, at least compared to mainstream products. I don't mind spending a little more, for the sake of the planet(heck, I use Silk soymilk made from non-GMO soybeans instead of dairy milk, which costs twice as much as regular dairy milk), but everything is this store is pretty pricey, though I try to do my civic duty and buy locally there when I can afford to. I've never seen eco-pads in big box stores, such as Wal-Mart and Target, or supermarkets, even in the health food aisles, as far as I can remember.

AniaR
02-25-2012, 07:50 PM
the patterned pads are here: http://lunapads.com/ and ladies Im sure the eco friendlier ones are carried in your stores they just arent in the same section as the others and likelier to be in grocery stores as opposed to wallmart and target. You have to go to the natural food aisle even though they arent food. Try drugstores too!

Princess Kae-Leah
02-25-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't think I've seen them in the natural food aisle of my grocery store, even though they carry a somewhat decent selection of eco cleaning and personal care products. Don't think I've seen them at drugstores either.

AniaR
02-25-2012, 07:58 PM
you havent been looking for them though ;) check next time you're in and let me know! Plus those website I link let you know which stores carry them :)

Mermaid Saphira
02-25-2012, 08:05 PM
^ ThanQ 4 the link girly ;)

Princess Kae-Leah
02-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Hmm, it doesn't list any stores near me, but I promise I will double check(well let's see, Fred Meyer carries them, but the closest Freddie's is miles from me so I only shop there occasionally)! Personally, on the subject of sex shops, I must admit due to being asexual those stores creep me out, so I'm really interested that not everything there is about sex. I'm not sure I *personally* would ever feel comfortable in setting foot in those places though, I don't like being around stuff associated directly with sex. I don't even enjoy walking by condoms and KY in the stores, though I understand those products are necessary for a big portion of the 99% of the population that are not asexual.

taom
02-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Omg I love natracare pads! They are so much more comfortable than any other I've tried.

Also, you know how Sun Chips makes those bags that completely degrade within two weeks or something like that? I would love to see pads backed with a material like that.

Also also, there are people all over places like etsy who make cloth pads. If you are considering switching to them, I would suggest buying from someone like that. Support small business!

Moonflower
02-25-2012, 09:58 PM
******TMI warning******

Okay, this may sound a bit odd, but I don't use either. I use toilet paper. About the same amount as I usually use to wipe once, I fold up and use instead. I never have to get my hands dirty because when I sit back down to pee, it just drops in the toilet.

New York Mermaid
02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
< i use Natural pads only, but then again in my case "The Red Tide" comes Super heavy for 7 days.. cramps never ending.. but they hold well when we get those "swells" in the red tide. Im planning on getting a procedure done about this..

MermaidAubrin
02-26-2012, 09:06 AM
I use soft cups wich are around the same lines of diva cup. I tried pads and every time it made a well mess, tampons worked well except for how forgetful I am every 4 hours or so doesn't work for me because I seriously will forget it is even there

Im not sure how good the soft cups are for the environment but you can use one for an entire cycle ( you just take it out every 12 hours and wash it) so not much waste

-Annwyn-
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I've been using cloth sanitary pads for around 3 years now, and I haven't looked back. They're softer, way more comfortable, my periods seem to only last for around 3 days as opposed to 7 full days with regular disposables and they are no more difficult to wash and take care of than your regular underwear. It is so nice not to have to buy disposable pads every month or worry if I run out because I always have fresh ones handy.

Plus, I like the added benefit of my vagina not being subject to the government or sanitary corporations every month. :P

AniaR
02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Plus, I like the added benefit of my vagina not being subject to the government or sanitary corporations every month. :P

hahaha exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mermaid Lorelei
02-26-2012, 03:24 PM
So glad to see that they're producing eco-friendly in this area. They seem to try everywhere else!

Princess Kae-Leah
02-26-2012, 04:53 PM
I'll take the challenge to double-check the natural foods section of my supermarket for eco-pads. I'll check out what the product costs, and see if it offers the same kind of protection as "mainstream" products. I'd really like to be open to trying it, because I try so hard to be eco-friendly in other areas, why not that, uh, personal area?
While we're on this subject, I have a personal question for other mers. Do you wear your tail during That Time? I try not to, since my tail is made of a pretty delicate synthetic fabric that's hand wash only, and I don't want to risk blood stains. I suppose this may not be an issue for those who use tampons, or have heavier tails that wouldn't show the bleeding.

Mermaid Saphira
02-26-2012, 05:30 PM
^ I nevergo swimming during my T.O.M..I to worried to even put on on my tail :$

AniaR
02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
I do Im always fine- but you know it's something we probably should have a thread about lol because tail swimming TOTALLY kills cramps :D lol and I think being in the water is also very soothing for those pains

Mermaid Saphira
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
It is! Two words...BUBBLE BATH!! XD

Mermaid Lorelei
02-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Oh goodness yes swimming helps!

Mermaid Saphira
02-26-2012, 06:04 PM
I would like to be able to go swimming during that time but I don't like uing tampons..certainly not after my cousin's experience, Let's just say she had to go to he ER

Winged Mermaid
02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Everyone I have ever asked who owns a diva cup says they absolutely LOVE it! I'm wanting to get one myself here soon.

ShyMer
02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Raina, your original post almost looks like an endorsement :p

But really though, I'm happy to find out that there are alternatives out there. Definitely looking out for the cloth ones next time I go into the organic market. Regular ones feel nasty :(

NerineArcticMermaid
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I have the same problem.. Super duper heavy.. My solution was not surgury.. It was simply gettng put on birth control. Have you tried that option?

Again TMI here but My before the pill was so bad I went through a box of super plus tampons a day! Surgery/procedures should be last option in my book. I am on orthotriclin(sp?) It also cleared up my skin so its working for me..

I understand alot of women dont like taking pills or cant so make sure you explore other options before doing major physical changes like surgery or other procedures.. :D

Princess Kae-Leah
02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I checked not one but TWO grocery stores, my local Safeway and Haggen's. Safeway doesn't even have a natural foods section, so I just double-checked the regular Kotex aisle, and they didn't have any eco-friendly "feminine care" products. Haggen's does have a natural foods section, and has a fairly decent selection of all-natural personal care and cleaning products, but the only natural feminine product they had was Seventh Generation tampons. I like Seventh Gen's cleaning products, but I would NEVER wear tampons, no matter how natural, since being asexual the thought of sticking ANYTHING in there makes me wanna puke to be honest. I'll check my local health food store tomorrow, and I'll check next time I'm at a drugstore, 'k?

Odette
02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
alright! lets try these eco-friendly vaginal products. =)

Mermaid Luna
02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Is it just me, or are there any other ladies out there who are totally squicked out by their excretions during that TOM? I could never use reusable pads for that reason alone. =/

Mermaid Sirena
03-01-2012, 10:38 PM
I don't know why I never thought of this! I was raised in reusable dippers and plan on doing the same for my child and when you think about the basic principle it's the same. I love the fancy designed ones and will certainly be going out and buying some as soon as the $ permits. Though in the long run they pay for themselves :)

Also sense I'm thinking about it, these are my magic pills. They are and all natural homeopathic and make all the pain and cramps go away. They start working with in the first day and make it feel as though it wasn't my moon at all. I don't know how to get them specifically as my mom gave them to me but if you go into any health foods store that sells homeopathic's they should be able to help.

Winged Mermaid
03-03-2012, 02:08 AM
Here's a link to where you can buy the pills/supplements: http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/caulophyllum-thalictroides-9c-80-p-pms.html . Also another brand here: http://www.wholesalesupplementstore.com/pms-50-tablets.html.

The herb's other names are Blue Cohosh, Papoose Root, or Squaw Root. I think I'll try this myself! I can't take Midol, I'm more caffeine sensitive than most people, and it has enough to make me freak out for 4 hours. O_o

New York Mermaid
03-03-2012, 02:27 AM
THANK YOU SIRENA- I LOVE YOU!!

I found the "magic pills" They help so much.. Im so happy..Especially since the " Red Tide" decided to drop by early, The "surges" were killing me, but i found them, OMG Im so happy *Twirls around happily*

-Annwyn-
03-03-2012, 03:00 AM
Is it just me, or are there any other ladies out there who are totally squicked out by their excretions during that TOM? I could never use reusable pads for that reason alone. =/

I'm not squicked out by natural bodily functions. Put it this way: You wear panties every day yeah? If you do, do you wash them or do you buy disposable paper knickers everyday? Well it's the same for pads. It's remarkable just how easy it is to clean and use them. Just use them, rinse them out well with cold water then chuck them into the washine machine to get washed with the rest of your knickers! And it's not dirty. It's the women's hygiene companies like SCA and Kimberley Clarke that keep women in the closet believing that their bodies are dirty and that they should be using disposable pads that can be thrown away and forgotten.

But disposable pads (and incontinence pad and diapers) take a long time to break down and release harmful chemicals into the earth. The average woman who uses disposables will use approx. 16,800 pads or tampons in their fertile life cycle. Plus, the chemicals used in disposable pads cannot possibly be kind to your skin and doesn't let your crotch breathe.

For the record, I'm pro cloth nappies too. All I can suggest is to buy one pad and give it a shot. :)

Mermaid Sirena
03-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Lanai I'm glad they were able to help :)

One thing I found is that ibuprofen and other western medicine for pain or cramps (or allergies or anything) don't work on me. They just pass through my system with no effect so I'm limited to taking homeopathic's instead (which is fine by me as I don't like taking pills anyway). So it's nice to have something that works and isn't damaging.

It would be terrible for business if women realized that -gasp- it's a natural part of life and not dirty, that we don't have to be ashamed of it or treat it like a time of horror but a sign we have bodies healthy enough to do so and a gift beyond anything we could ever hope to have in this material world.

AniaR
03-03-2012, 10:06 AM
@ Sirena thank you for showing the pills. Ive seem them too. Because of my interstitial cystitis I am now developing endometriosis. Ive been in so much pain Ive made several hospital trips. Prescription pain meds don't even stop it. I've resorted to trying different birth control pills- they do help, but I hate the chemicals and the side effects. I didnt know anyone who tried those pills and I've been asking around. Im so happy, Im going to try them now!

Ive also read this amazing book called "The Body Project" which talks about the different trends around women's beauty- how some women see waxing as just as bad as corsetting etc. It talks a lot about how society has turned periods into this horrible dirty secretive thing- while in other cultures it is celebrated that a young girl is coming of age. When my stepmom started home schooling my two younger sisters (she did it for a number of years, they are in reg school now) she made a big effort to celebrate when they got theirs. They got their fav dinner and dessert, and she gave them both a special ring to mark them becoming women. I was so proud of her and my sisters! I want to pass that tradition on to my own daughters if I'm blessed enough to have them!

Mermaid Momo
03-03-2012, 12:54 PM
i hav e question about the reusable fabric pads. since they say you're supposed to soak in cold water, what if im at school and have to change my pad, what do i do with it? i really want to try this out but i dont really know what i should do with the used pads if im not at home to soak in cold water.

AniaR
03-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I know they have specific ones for really heavy/longer use! They also come with a laundry bag to put them in if you buy their kit, as well as a book with tips. Im sure you could probably just put them in the special bag

Mermaid Luna
03-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Much of my squick toward TOM has to do with being brought up by my mother. She doesn't even want to see the wrappers from our pads in the trash, we have to wrap them in kleenex or get yelled at. =/ I know it's totally natural, but...I can't help that it grosses me out.

But thank you so much for posting about your "magic pills" Sirena! I'll be getting them soon! How much do they cost?

Mermaid Sirena
03-03-2012, 07:25 PM
@draggersprez ziplock?

Aniar I have a few thoughts I'll PM you :)

-Annwyn-
03-03-2012, 11:38 PM
i hav e question about the reusable fabric pads. since they say you're supposed to soak in cold water, what if im at school and have to change my pad, what do i do with it? i really want to try this out but i dont really know what i should do with the used pads if im not at home to soak in cold water.

For my heavier days I use the maxi style reusable pads and I find they will last me the 8-hour shift that I am at work. If I was worried that it wouldn't, I would take an extra one with me, fold up the used one (they fold up really nicely and are normally lined with anti-leak material PUL that is in the pads themselves ) and put it into a little cloth pouch that suppliers usually stock. Could be just me, but I find using 1-2 heavy cloth pads on my heaviest days gets me through just fine. :)

Mermaid Jewel
03-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Heh so I read something about "western" medicines not working...there's this Chinese remedy my mom learned of drinking 'rice wine' to flush it all out and help with cramps...but I'm not sure if it's the same kind of rice wine you buy since my mom makes it. It's super sweet (I can't stand the taste though, it tastes sickly sweet to me. But I know adults and children that like the taste so...) but I don't know if that's how regular rice wine tastes.

blenny
03-06-2012, 01:34 AM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm106/kunda311/01th_OMG.gif

NerineArcticMermaid
03-06-2012, 10:52 PM
So....
In case I missed reading that...was there an natural version to the tampon? I jsut cant stand feeling my T.o.M. So as nice as the reusable pads are ....I cant see ueingthem.. so was there a natural version for tampons? Ill have to check local stores.. but I luckily with the pill only get 4 a year! yeah! so far no ill effects as I see my girly doc on regular basis...Im at risk for ovarian cancer due to coming in contact with High risk HPV. But Ive had 4 clear paps so one more and I should be in clear :)

If your not familiar with HPV you need to be... its something all women are at risk of coming in contact with.

Princess Kae-Leah
03-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Can you get HPV, Nerine, if you never have sex, ever? I'm asexual, and I plan on dying a virgin. Should I still get the vaccine? If not, I guess then it's not really true that ALL women are at risk, huh? ;)

taom
03-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Most usually a person contracts HPV from sex but they are still doing research about other ways of contracting the disease. Some studies tentatively suggest contact with public toilet seats can result in HPV though they aren't certain about that. I will only ever have sex with one person and neither of us have HPV but we still both got vaccinated just in case.So basically you are at very low risk of catching HPV but it's always a good idea to be safe rather than sorry.

SireniaSolaris
03-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Here is another remedy for cramps:

Take a mug of hot water, and stir 3-4 cinnamon sticks in to create a kind of cinnamon tea.
Add natural, brown sugar to tase.

This simple, yummy tea works miracles! I have a condition where my periods are really really really painful. Basically there is a build up of scar tissue in my uterus, and so every time I get a period, the scar tissue pulls at my insides, essentially making it feel like my uterus is being torn out. The first day of my period I would always have to just stay in a fetal position because of how much pain I was in. My bf's mother has a HUGE amount of natural remedies from her home country, Venezuela. This tea is what she would always make to relieve cramps and gut pain. It works!! I have never missed a day of work since trying this :)

Now on the note of these eco-friendly alternatives to disposable pads/tampons: The diva cup looks interesting and the most economical choice, but it looks like it would be prone to spills and like, splashing inside and stuff D:

That's just what I envisioned when I saw it, so it's probably just me being paranoid and weird (cuz I, too, have always been kinda grossed out with the TOM).

AniaR
03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
SirenaSolaris, I believe I have the same condition, I have one that effects my bladder in the same way- and people with it usually develop endotrimiosis. I have been having a horrible time trying to get it diagnosed and treated. :( I usually dont even get the horrible pain til it's practically done! But it's enough to make me vomit bile simply because of the pain, and it's not in normal places :( Ive been trying to find as many natural remedies as I can because pain killers are not working and keep burning my stomach lining making it worse.

Mermaid Lorelei
03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Have any of you tried progesterone before? It is a natural hormone replacement used to keep you from cramping as much, getting as severe of migraines, and it can help to even out mood swings. I find it works incredibly well on my cramps, which are insane every other cycle.

AniaR
03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
I did for 4 months. It worked wonders BUT I gained 10lbs very fast and my weight was still going up. I got severe acne all over my body then I stopped getting periods all together and just started spotting every day- right around my birthday. lol It is the #1 treatment for endotrimiosis

What really worries me is both that illness and the other one I have affect fertility. But here in Canada waiting to see a specialist can take 6-12 months sometimes longer. Just to see the gyno about endo took 6 months and she refused to test me because they have to put you to sleep! Im like grr lady I dont care test me! and now Im all worried about my ability to have babies. Im not planning to anytime soon, but you know its always in the back of my mind :( Our health care can be amazing, but the wait is horrible.

Mermaid Sirena
03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
I would rather have to wait a while then go into a hospital that gives you an IV and an ultra sound to check your insides, then charges $5,000 and tries to kick you out the door before even addressing the original reason you came in. -.-

Winged Mermaid
03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Also Clary Sage essential oil is great for cramps! I've heard some awesome stories about that! Few drops of that right on the skin over the painful areas, or just all over the uterus area. You can use a few drops of carrier oil (I like grape seed oil- no allergies and super great for your skin) to help it spread further. Also you can use a hot compress to help drive it in better and faster.
Just remember that when you put essential oils ON your body, you are putting it IN your body, so get the highest grade you can, or that you can afford. Side note- doTERRA essential oils are currently the purest on the market backed by multiple tests for each batch of oils. They're the only essential oils, at this point, that you can safely ingest. But I understand being off put by the price, but there's a reason for the price. Anyhow! If I run into any more natural remedies (I'm in classes for that) I'll post them here!

AniaR
03-07-2012, 09:46 PM
so I picked up my pills, theyre made by the same group you ladies shared but not the same kind. It's actaea racemosa http://www.homeopathy-remedies.co.uk/homeopathy-treatment-actaea-rac-actaea-racemosa.html apparently really good for cramps as well as other issues. Just popped my first 5 lol (gotta take 5 3X a day!) but they're tiny. Reallllly hoping they help.

Mermaid Lorelei
03-08-2012, 12:54 AM
That's some interesting info Winged. I might have to look into some of those. And I definitely promote heating pads! They are so wonderful for cramps.

I hope your new medication helps Raina!

SireniaSolaris
03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
That is actually what I have, Raina. Just didn't post the name cuz I wasn't sure too many would know what endometriosis is. I'm skeptical about the fertility claims somewhat. My family members who did reproduce only had one child each, and my cousin lost her entire reproductive system before she could have a kid. For me, doctors said it would be very hard to have kids - I only get about 3-4 periods a year, and they expected I would have to get my reproductive system removed by age 25. Now I'm thinking it will probably be closer to age 30. But in spite of their claims, I've had two pregnancies - in SPITE of taking birth control! My first was a miscarriage, and my second is my now 16 month old daughter, Melodia. So... it's still veeery possible to have kids, even with full blown endometriosis.

I agree with Sirena - they rob you here, in the states, in the health care industry - often times without even correcting a problem. My dad is actually waiting to go to Canada to get an operation because it's just so much better to wait and have a good job done, than trust a lot of the jokes working here. You should see my c-section scar! It looks like those horror movie scars the murder survivors have D: It's horrible.

@ Lorelei: I'll be honest, I am not a fan of taking hormones. Anything that is not your own, can really throw off your levels. In my opinion, experience, and observation, I think hormone therapy (including progesterone pills), is a lot like many western medicines - while it can alleviate some things (like cramps), it often causes other issues (in my case, it actually CAUSED mood swings, many experience weight gain, while it clears up some people's acne, it can also cause acne in others, etc.). Your chance of getting blood clots also skyrockets.

The only "hormone treatment" I would actually advocate for is following giving birth. For most women, it takes TWO YEARS to get your hormones and bodily nutrients back to their "normal" levels. I expedited this, getting back to normal within a few months. See, a LOT of your hormones and nutrients get stored in your placenta. There is a reason animals, in nature, eat their placentas after giving birth - it really helps them regain much of their strength and stamina. In my case, I had mine encapsulated - a certified placenta encapsulator cleaned it, cut it into pieces, dehydrated it, ground it into powder, mixed that with a couple of other powdered herbs with good women's health benefits, and put this mixture into veggie capsules. Then you have it just like any vitamin or suppliment, keeping it refridgerated or frozen. For your first two weeks after giving birth, you take one pill 3X a day, then the next couple of weeks 2X a day, then once a day for the next couple of weeks, then just one as needed, if you have any episodes where you start to feel overemotional or something. Wonderful thing!! The lady who did mine also dehydrated the umbilical cord into the shape of a heart. So I have it in one of those sheer, tiny bags as a keep sake. :)

AniaR
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
yeah Im not sure if I have full blown endo, like I said, I tried to get checked for it and the doc wouldnt :/ but I have this spot about 8 inches above my navel, that feels like it's contracting just toward the end of my period. The cycle is only 3 days and isnt even that heavy- and I do get it regularly. But the pain in that one spot is unbearable and thats not a normal place for cramps! When I took progesterone it stopped completely. but the other side effects were too much so I had to stop. The interesting thing is I always had manageable cycles so long as I took ibuprofine, until I took the pill and then stopped after just shy of 2 years. That's when all hell in my body broke loose. The pain I have now is something else, nothing stops it. :(

I did try those new pills, I think they took the edge off... but not quite still enough. Just relieved to be through another month lol

Nyx
03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
This simple, yummy tea works miracles! I have a condition where my periods are really really really painful. Basically there is a build up of scar tissue in my uterus, and so every time I get a period, the scar tissue pulls at my insides, essentially making it feel like my uterus is being torn out. The first day of my period I would always have to just stay in a fetal position because of how much pain I was in. My bf's mother has a HUGE amount of natural remedies from her home country, Venezuela. This tea is what she would always make to relieve cramps and gut pain. It works!! I have never missed a day of work since trying this :).

I'm from Venezuela and I have seen my mom and grandmother use this before. Not for t.o.m, but for when they aren't feeling good. It works wonders, I still have to try this for myself though, thanks for sharing that lil' bit of info!

Amethyst
03-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm the same as @Mermaid Aqua, I've never gone swimming at that T.O.M. Tampons creep me out lol I'll definatly be on the look out for the alternative products you've mentioned, anything to help the planet :)

Mermaid Miel
03-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Myy cloth Pads arrived in the mail today :yay:
I did a bit of searching at Etsy because the LunaPads seemed a bit pricey and I wanted just to buy one to try out. I eventually bought three, plus two pantyliners. Igot them from TheCrazyElephant (http://www.etsy.com/shop/thecrazyelephant)shop. They were just kinda cute, you know?

I do occasionally go swimming with tampons. My First period came the day Before my Birthday Party at a local waterslide park.. sucks you know? I was determined to go so I wore Tampons... even though they are kinda painful. I will definetely buy the Diva Cup when I next get paid... it sounds a lot less painful and easier to swim with.

Kanti
03-19-2012, 01:38 PM
xD
I'm too chickenshit to use anything other than pads and I don't see how they'd do anything if your whole yoohoo area is underwater.

NorthernPearl
03-20-2012, 03:46 AM
My experiences:
I've used reusable cloth pads for the last couple of years, and I loooooove them. I tried them just as an experiment, and now on the rare occasion when I'm caught somewhere without a pad and have to use a commercial disposable pad, I really notice the difference. There is something in the commercial disposable pads that my body does not like; not sure whether it's a chemical or one of the materials used or what. When I switched to cloth pads, I found that I had fewer and less intense cramps, my period became lighter and a tiiiiny bit shorter, I was generally more comfortable, and I actually felt much less self conscious about people somehow noticing I had my period because the cloth pads conform to my body better.

Another major positive for me individually is that I am much better able to prevent leaks now. Leaks used to make my period week a really stressful experience for me, but because there are more sizes/shapes of cloth pads available to me than in commercial pads, I'm better able to comfortably prevent leaks. Also, because the materials used to make cloth pads are readily available to me, I was able to use the poor panties who'd fallen victim to my period as a guide to make a pad that offered full coverage exactly where I needed it.

I really love my cloth pads.

Also, it's nice to not have to worry about whether I'll have any money to buy pads when I need them. I always have a drawer full. I'm broke a lot of the time, so for me this is a major benefit.

I was nervous about what I'd think about dealing with the used pads and laundering them, but I find that in practice it doesn't bother me at all. The pad soaks up the blood, so while you see red it's not generally gross or anything. For me, disposable pads are much less user friendly in that respect. Not sure why that is.

As far as what to do with your used pad when you have to change them while you're out and about, what I do is carry a small cosmetics type zipper bag in my purse. Inside I have a couple of fresh pads, and a ziploc bag. I fold the used pad and seal it in the ziploc, then then put it in the zipper bag. This way, it's all contained and airtight, and I never have to worry about someone accidentally spotting my pads in bag, since it's also inside the zipper bag. (I will say, once in a while I forget to put a new ziploc bag in my cosmetics bag after I've thrown away the old one, and so I've just folded the used pad blood-side-in in the zipper bag. There has never ever been any smell or anything, so if you get stuck, don't panic or feel crazy self conscious.) Then, when I get home I either toss the used pads into the sink to soak in cold water, or, more often, throw them directly in the washing machine.

It's easy, and not gross (actually cleaner for me than disposables), and the benefits have been very happy for me. If any of those things weren't true, I wouldn't keep doing it. :) Everyone's different, but for me these have really helped me feel much more relaxed and "okay" with my period.

As for swimming, in the past I've always just avoided swimming when I've had my period. I recently joined a swim team, though, and so if there's practice, I have to be in the water. Tampons are not proving to be my favorite - they are uncomfortable to me, and I haven't used them enough times yet to not be nervous that they'll somehow mysteriously leak or something. I may look into more natural alternatives.

LittleTreasure
04-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience! I use cloth pads too, mostly. I bought all mine off of Etsy, and for the most part they've been great. (You can find the most adorable pads there too). I do get leakage problems...so I usually wear a pantiliner when I go out to school and such. Yes, I suppose that might defeat the purpose, but my liners are really thin and light, so not much harm done. Definitely not as much as disposables anyway. They just feel so much better on your delicate parts. You feel like you're sitting on a cloud..instead of a scratchy piece of plastic.

When I'm out and have to change the pad, I just fold it in on itself and close the snaps (which also snap around the underwear) and slip it into my bag. I don't soak mine, which probably causes more stains, but it doesn't do any harm, anyway. I don't get huge stains in them. I store them in one place until I am about to run out (which is every 1 - 2 days) and then throw them all in washer with a dirty towel or two. Vinegar makes a good alternative fabric softener (since the regular stuff reduces absorbency and makes them absorb all the weird chemicals) and I use a Free and Clear liquid detergent. They do just fine.

When they get stained, you can mix 2 parts peroxide with 1 part dish soap (I think)? and that will take even old stains out. You could also add baking soda to that, but I haven't tried it.

As for reusable tampons, I have heard about people crocheting their own reusable ones out of cotton yarn, using really soft baby socks as tampons (O.o) and of course using menstrual cups.

My experiences:
I've used reusable cloth pads for the last couple of years, and I loooooove them. I tried them just as an experiment, and now on the rare occasion when I'm caught somewhere without a pad and have to use a commercial disposable pad, I really notice the difference. There is something in the commercial disposable pads that my body does not like; not sure whether it's a chemical or one of the materials used or what. When I switched to cloth pads, I found that I had fewer and less intense cramps, my period became lighter and a tiiiiny bit shorter, I was generally more comfortable, and I actually felt much less self conscious about people somehow noticing I had my period because the cloth pads conform to my body better.

Another major positive for me individually is that I am much better able to prevent leaks now. Leaks used to make my period week a really stressful experience for me, but because there are more sizes/shapes of cloth pads available to me than in commercial pads, I'm better able to comfortably prevent leaks. Also, because the materials used to make cloth pads are readily available to me, I was able to use the poor panties who'd fallen victim to my period as a guide to make a pad that offered full coverage exactly where I needed it.

I really love my cloth pads.

Also, it's nice to not have to worry about whether I'll have any money to buy pads when I need them. I always have a drawer full. I'm broke a lot of the time, so for me this is a major benefit.

I was nervous about what I'd think about dealing with the used pads and laundering them, but I find that in practice it doesn't bother me at all. The pad soaks up the blood, so while you see red it's not generally gross or anything. For me, disposable pads are much less user friendly in that respect. Not sure why that is.

As far as what to do with your used pad when you have to change them while you're out and about, what I do is carry a small cosmetics type zipper bag in my purse. Inside I have a couple of fresh pads, and a ziploc bag. I fold the used pad and seal it in the ziploc, then then put it in the zipper bag. This way, it's all contained and airtight, and I never have to worry about someone accidentally spotting my pads in bag, since it's also inside the zipper bag. (I will say, once in a while I forget to put a new ziploc bag in my cosmetics bag after I've thrown away the old one, and so I've just folded the used pad blood-side-in in the zipper bag. There has never ever been any smell or anything, so if you get stuck, don't panic or feel crazy self conscious.) Then, when I get home I either toss the used pads into the sink to soak in cold water, or, more often, throw them directly in the washing machine.

It's easy, and not gross (actually cleaner for me than disposables), and the benefits have been very happy for me. If any of those things weren't true, I wouldn't keep doing it. :) Everyone's different, but for me these have really helped me feel much more relaxed and "okay" with my period.

As for swimming, in the past I've always just avoided swimming when I've had my period. I recently joined a swim team, though, and so if there's practice, I have to be in the water. Tampons are not proving to be my favorite - they are uncomfortable to me, and I haven't used them enough times yet to not be nervous that they'll somehow mysteriously leak or something. I may look into more natural alternatives.

mermaidcatherine
04-26-2012, 01:56 PM
I use tampons (but for the longest time I used pads only because it was too hard to get the tampon in). My period is so light though, that I only use about four tampons when I'm on it, and they're light tampons. I'm intrigued by the diva cup, but I'm too scared to try it. Tampons were hard enough to get in, I feel like the diva cup might be worse. The idea of reusables kind of grosses me out, and besides, it just seems difficult to deal with in a dorm room and community bathrooms. I'll look into the organic tampons, though! Anything to help my planet.

MermaidRaegan
04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
So I've always hated tampons because I hate having anything stuck up my lady business that nature did not intend to go in there. And disposable pads are just freakin' uncomfortable and my skin reacts badly to them. So I tried a cup once, and it was actually pretty neat! Easy to clean, comfy to wear, easy to store. Still, not sure it's right for me, but I'd recommend them to any girl who was willing to try something new! I'll have to check out the reusable pads, especially since they're so cute!

AniaR
06-11-2012, 06:11 PM
missed some questions!

so was there a natural version for tampons? yes I posted the 100% cotton ones witha link

Most usually a person contracts HPV from sex but they are still doing research about other ways of contracting the disease

I agree Ive read that there are other ways people can get HPV and there are different types of HPV, some can simply develop on their own without outside factors

Tasha Mermaid
01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Oh i use the cloth pads, they are really comfortable and women who use them for awhile have noticed that their flow was both lighter and shorter (i noticed it to) mine are made from bamboo and hemp and organic cotton, and are in pink, blue and purple designs :)

Mermaid Momo
01-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I've been looking for tutorials on making your own cloth pads at home lately because i really like making my own things lol. and i have a lot of scrap fabric i can use for the decorative fabric part.It's just that some tutorials are really confusing and i have no idea where to get some of the fabric they mention they use (i think someone mentioned hemp or something in one tutorial)anyone else making their own?

AniaR
01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
There are workshops in my city that teach it, I'm going to ask a girl I know who attends :)

Mermaid Dottie
01-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Raina, Words cannot express how awesome you are for finding and sharing this! Thank you! I am so hitting these up when my period comes back.
(After I had Loch, I bled for about a month, and since then, not one drop! it's been over a year since my last period, and I love it!)

ShyMer
01-18-2013, 10:51 PM
I made my first today, though I don't have snaps yet for the wings. I'm considering Velcro, but I'm not sure about that one. I used some towel scraps from another project and a pair of old pajama pants for my materials. I'd like to try flannel.
From what I've been able to make out, it shouldn't need anything really fancy. If you are concerned about leaking, you can make the liner removable so you can change it more frequently with less bulk in your stash or to adjust the thickness for more absorbency.

I also wanted the pad to fit the curve of my panties a little better in hopes that it wouldn't slide around so much. Instead of being made from one single piece of fabric on either side, I cut the wings separately. Not quite sure how to describe what I did, but I like the fit, and if anyone's interested, I can post pictures to explain.

it can be time consuming, especially when you have to make your pattern to start, but it's kinda fun. I like that I'm making my own practically for free and I won't have to wear those nasty plasticy things ever again.

I just had another thought- it sounds like the other ladies who use cloth pads use zip locks to hold their used pads. I don't want to end up wasting a lot of plastic bags, part of the appeal to me for using cloth pads is less waste. anyone have ideas for reusable storage bags that won't get my purse all nasty? I've seen reusable snack bags on Pinterest before, how about those?

Thalassa
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
I use a Ladycup (like a Divacup, but smaller and comes in pretty colors). I love it! It's so comfortable (I can't wear tampons) and I save so much money. The company (I think it's Jaguara) also makes reusable pads! I've ordered some, so if I have a day my cup isn't quite up to I'm covered.

LittleTreasure
01-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Just thought I'd add something here. Has anybody else tried Softcups? I have been trying those out lately and I really, really like them. They can be emptied and used for a day, then you put in a fresh one. They also come in a durable version that can be used through your whole period. They're probably not as user friendly as other menstrual cups and not as reusable obviously, but I usually can't feel ANYTHING once it's in right, and I can go for hours and hours without worrying about it. I have been using cloth still, but I love how nice it feels to be on your period and not be all gross down there. :p

SeaGlass Siren
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
ok. i kinda always wanted to know this... but how do you stick cups in while bleeding? or do you have no fear or disgust of your blood... (if this is the case then i wish i was that brave as you guys >_> i cannot stand the sight/smell of it and i would never touch it.. grosses me out)

Thalassa
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Andrea: It's actually a lot easier when you're bleeding than dry, because you have lubrication. But I think you're asking more about the blood on your fingers type thing, yes? The first couple of times I inserted my cup, I was pretty disgusted. Like, I-want-to-vomit disgusted. But after a few times I stopped noticing as much. I just make sure to wash my hands really, really, REALLY well after inserting or removing my cup.

SeaGlass Siren
01-23-2013, 06:57 PM
and then how do you.. clean it... or like where do you get rid of the blood...? in the tub? toilet (and if the toilet, wouldnt the cup slip and fall)? >_>; pardon me i'm imagining something extremely graphic.

Thalassa
01-23-2013, 07:16 PM
LOL no worries. I empty the cup in the toilet, then if the sink is close enough I rinse it out. Otherwise, I just wad up toilet tissue and wipe it out really well before re-inserting it.

My cup is a ladycup, and it has a nice ridged "handle" to hang on to. Which also helps with removal. You can see some ladycups here: 28803_125237860837375_369612_n.jpg (http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/28803_125237860837375_369612_n.jpg)

SeaGlass Siren
01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
I think I'll pass and keep wearing pads ;_; looks painful. I hate the idea of shoving things up my lady place.

Thalassa
01-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Yeah, it takes a bit to get used to. Honestly, I switch between that and pads. If it weren't for the fact that when I swim it's either a cup or a tampon (and it's a LOT more comfy than a tampon) I'd probably never have gotten into menstrual cups. XP

MerEmma
04-16-2013, 02:31 PM
I've been avoiding posting here since this thread came about, as I'm really icky about this subject but I feel the need to ask some questions since I obviously have to do something about my current issues. >_<

Like others on this thread, I'm really "ick'd" out by everything down there...I hate that I feel this way and I've tried a lot of things to try and be more comfortable about it but so far no such luck. I've only had a few first periods and the first two were absolutely terrible. I couldn't hardly walk with the terrible cramps and the blood made me so, so queasy. The last one lasted for three weeks and was so light I hardly even noticed it, but again, it lasted ages. However, my swim team is coming up soon. I always swim on the team at my Y and it's not like I can just miss three weeks and possibly the meets during it. I don't want to at all. I really want to be able to go to them.

My mom has been encouraging me to use tampons but they really frighten me. I'm a lot like KL in that I'm asexual, and really dislike doing anything down there and avoid it at any cost. I feel really dumb about it but I'm trying so, so hard to be more comfortable with it all. I feel like a tampon will be easier to use, but the cup will be better for what I want/need (as in, right now the period is so light I don't even think it's tampon-worthy).

We've been planning to go out on the boat tomorrow with the family and the dogs (swimming in the saltwater river) and I really don't want to cancel or just not swim. I'm SO distressed right now because it's meant to be a birthday trip and my period is already ruining activities for me. We also got our timeshare thing and I've been hassling my mom about wanting to swim for weeks but now that it's actually here, I've got my period and I can't swim. She still is really pushing me to use a tampon but I'm still absolutely terrified. The cup just seems like it would be better, even if more difficult. It's not like I can't easily get one--we have a health food store that sells them but I'm still just really afraid of using it. I feel like maybe if I just went ahead and got one then I could just read the instructions and maybe get it by myself but I still don't know, I just don't know...I just feel so sad and irritated and angry because I feel really helpless. I've tried another forum to try and discuss this but the general consensus there was that they just don't think I'm ready/mature enough for a cup or tampon since I'm still so weird about it but when it comes to the swim team there just isn't much of an option. It's either tough it out and use a cup or tampon, skip several weeks of the season (which could be any number based on how my last period lasted three weeks) or just not sign up for it this year. I feel so sad and distressed. Does anyone have any sort of advice for me?

Merman Arion
04-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I don't mean to be disrespectful but i'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to be a guy right now!!!! :rotfl:

I have so much respect for you, ladies, to endure such a thing :hail:

You are not only mermaids, you are queens! :)

MermaidHyli
04-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Emma it is totally ok to be nervous and uncomfortable with this sort of thing. For the longest time when I was younger the thought of a tampon freaked me out and I had no intention of trying it out....well mother nature made her first visit to me while I was on a family vacation to the florida keys and I was supposed to go out snuba diving (the type where you are to young to use the scuba gear so they connect you to a hose and have an instructor with you) so I talked to my mom about it and she explained to me that with the correct type of tampon and the explanation of what it does I was still uncomfortable but I didn't want to miss this chance to be 40 ft underwater. So I caved and went with the tampon route, it felt weird at first but by the time it was time to take it out, I couldn't feel it at all. Since then I've used pads more in high school but the thought of sitting in your own liquid is not the prettiest thing to me. So now after college I've completely switched to just using tampons. It is a choice you are going to have to make but I suggest giving tampons a try tomorrow. If you don't like it after about two hours take it out and just say you're done swimming for the day =] Don't let your body's natural process slow you do or make you miss out on any fun adventures! If the tampons still make you uncomfortable talk to you mom about using a cup perhaps for a later date. Don't stress too hard =]

Mermaid Melusinah
04-16-2013, 05:31 PM
I've been avoiding posting here since this thread came about, as I'm really icky about this subject but I feel the need to ask some questions since I obviously have to do something about my current issues. >_<

Like others on this thread, I'm really "ick'd" out by everything down there...I hate that I feel this way and I've tried a lot of things to try and be more comfortable about it but so far no such luck. I've only had a few first periods and the first two were absolutely terrible. I couldn't hardly walk with the terrible cramps and the blood made me so, so queasy. The last one lasted for three weeks and was so light I hardly even noticed it, but again, it lasted ages. However, my swim team is coming up soon. I always swim on the team at my Y and it's not like I can just miss three weeks and possibly the meets during it. I don't want to at all. I really want to be able to go to them.

My mom has been encouraging me to use tampons but they really frighten me. I'm a lot like KL in that I'm asexual, and really dislike doing anything down there and avoid it at any cost. I feel really dumb about it but I'm trying so, so hard to be more comfortable with it all. I feel like a tampon will be easier to use, but the cup will be better for what I want/need (as in, right now the period is so light I don't even think it's tampon-worthy).

We've been planning to go out on the boat tomorrow with the family and the dogs (swimming in the saltwater river) and I really don't want to cancel or just not swim. I'm SO distressed right now because it's meant to be a birthday trip and my period is already ruining activities for me. We also got our timeshare thing and I've been hassling my mom about wanting to swim for weeks but now that it's actually here, I've got my period and I can't swim. She still is really pushing me to use a tampon but I'm still absolutely terrified. The cup just seems like it would be better, even if more difficult. It's not like I can't easily get one--we have a health food store that sells them but I'm still just really afraid of using it. I feel like maybe if I just went ahead and got one then I could just read the instructions and maybe get it by myself but I still don't know, I just don't know...I just feel so sad and irritated and angry because I feel really helpless. I've tried another forum to try and discuss this but the general consensus there was that they just don't think I'm ready/mature enough for a cup or tampon since I'm still so weird about it but when it comes to the swim team there just isn't much of an option. It's either tough it out and use a cup or tampon, skip several weeks of the season (which could be any number based on how my last period lasted three weeks) or just not sign up for it this year. I feel so sad and distressed. Does anyone have any sort of advice for me?

*hugs* I felt you needed one :)

Ok... let me start first by saying that I really feel that you should talk to GYN. 3 weeks is simply not very "normal", even when just starting out.
next, you need to do what is best for you. Tampons DONT work for everyone. And quite frankly, they can hurt. I took one out too soon once and it hurt a lot. So thats another thing to consider.
Now, I myself do use the cup. And I prefer it! Highly recommend it even. You THINK its hard to manage/might be uncomfortable. But trust me its not. It takes a little practice, but its worth it! there is no discomfort and it still fits and forms like a tampon would. Seriously give them a try. I got mine on Amazon.com. its called the Moon Cup. made of medical grade silicone and likely the best cup that you can get on the market right now. its a little costly, but it pays for itself trust me. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZE! you will want size B, designed for young ladies and women that HAVE NOT had children. If you have any questions about it all Emma let me know in PM, I'm happy to answer them the best I can
*more hugs*

MerEmma
04-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Oh goodness a GYN? I thought something that long with as light as it was (very few drops) for that long wasn't really a big deal since it's all new to me and all. :s I really, really want to use the cup and I know eventually I will I just don't know when I'll be ready to...hopefully soon before summer starts up. I still feel really bad because we've cancelled tomorrow's trip and probably won't be able to swim for who knows how long, but I do really appreciate it, Melusinah. I feel a pretty good bit better about the cup now, I just still...need time that I don't have. >_<

Usagi
04-16-2013, 06:22 PM
First of all: MY GOD that cup looks huge and horrifying! Lol

Second: Emma, you're only 13, aye? So I don't think you're exactly asexual. You're really young, so maybe the hormones just haven't kicked in enough, and once they do, your period will change. It wasn't until I was 14 that I really started liking boys. And that's right around the same time that my period became more normal. It used to last for over a week (I only used pads in middle school, but my mom would only buy the tiny travel ones, so I would put like 5 in my underwear because I was too awkward to tell her I needed bigger ones. Haha) and then the next one would be a week or two (occasionally 3!) late. Vaginas and uteruses are weird. I mean, just say them out loud: Va-Gi-Na. U-Ter-Us. They even SOUND weird. Lol I've been using tampons ever since I started high school, pretty much. I started with the really small ones, but discovered they weren't big enough, so I had to keep going up sizes. I discovered that I needed the Super Plus (which I think is actually the biggest). Maybe girls with wider hips have heavier flows because they have wider vaginas, so it all comes out at one time? Haha I don't know, but you're tiny so I would suggest using the smallest ones, which are probably about the size of your pinky.

I just realized we post these things publicly...and there might be a day where we meet someone in person...and they know so much of your personal information... >.> haha

MerEmma
04-16-2013, 06:35 PM
First of all: MY GOD that cup looks huge and horrifying! Lol

Second: Emma, you're only 13, aye? So I don't think you're exactly asexual. You're really young, so maybe the hormones just haven't kicked in enough, and once they do, your period will change. It wasn't until I was 14 that I really started liking boys. And that's right around the same time that my period became more normal. It used to last for over a week (I only used pads in middle school, but my mom would only buy the tiny travel ones, so I would put like 5 in my underwear because I was too awkward to tell her I needed bigger ones. Haha) and then the next one would be a week or two (occasionally 3!) late. Vaginas and uteruses are weird. I mean, just say them out loud: Va-Gi-Na. U-Ter-Us. They even SOUND weird. Lol I've been using tampons ever since I started high school, pretty much. I started with the really small ones, but discovered they weren't big enough, so I had to keep going up sizes. I discovered that I needed the Super Plus (which I think is actually the biggest). Maybe girls with wider hips have heavier flows because they have wider vaginas, so it all comes out at one time? Haha I don't know, but you're tiny so I would suggest using the smallest ones, which are probably about the size of your pinky.

I just realized we post these things publicly...and there might be a day where we meet someone in person...and they know so much of your personal information... >.> haha

Haha, I don't really genuinely know if I'll be asexual or not, but I tend to use it as a term that people understand quickly. It kind of throws out the whole awkwardness about sexuality and how I currently feel about it. I just feel really scared of tampons more so than cups--which I think is mainly because of the whole dryness thing people mention. The feeling of dryness and stuff that it can cause just sounds so...icky. And creeps me out more than the cup, weirdly enough. I guess I just mainly wish I had more time before summer. >_<

Thalassa
04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Oh, honey. I like boys, and I plan on kids and love it. But I didn't start liking boys until I was 17. And it took me a long time to feel comfortable with discussing sexual things (I still only do it as needed, very old-fashioned girl here). At your age, I think it's perfectly normal to be uncomfortable with the new world "down there." I'm totally with you on tampons, I hate 'em. Since my first time using one, I avoided swimming during my period because I was like, "Nope, NOT gonna do that again." Eventually, though, I got used to it. And cups are much more comfortable than tampons, and definitely less dry. At your age, though, I'd make sure you get one that is small enough for you. That's the only concern I'd have.

MerEmma
04-16-2013, 07:25 PM
That's how I feel about it as well, and I read that the Ladycup has one of the smallest ones (the same that you use, I think?) but it's also so pliable and soft it can be hard to use...

Mermaid Melusinah
04-16-2013, 08:45 PM
That's how I feel about it as well, and I read that the Ladycup has one of the smallest ones (the same that you use, I think?) but it's also so pliable and soft it can be hard to use...

They LOOk big and scary in the pics but they really arent. I'll take a pic of mine for you so you can see. and remember I have had a child. so mine is possibly bigger then the other size. And they arent that pliable. they flex and give, but they are very workable. one second

Mermaid Melusinah
04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Also, A GYN is a "woman parts" DR. You should be seeing one since you do get periods. It's just a good thing to make sure that you stay healthy down there.
And if you dont bleed enough for a tampon, DONT use them. you'll just do yourself pain and cause damage. But as with everything, you have to go with the things that work best for you. I personally LOVE my cup, best choice i ever made for my body (in regards to this topic)

i added a quarter so you can get a size comparison idea...

MerEmma
04-16-2013, 09:07 PM
From pictures, personally they don't look that big but then I kind of imagine trying to use them...and then they seem big, haha. I know that most people seem to think going the tampon route first is a better idea, but I feel like skipping it...mostly because a lot of it is the gross factor. Even though I hate blood, I really genuinely feel like I could see it better in the cup and not feel as queasy versus on a stark white tampon. >_< I'm realllyy considering getting one...obviously I do want one eventually but I just don't know. I wish there was an external something that you could swim with, but there just isn't really. >_<

Thalassa
04-16-2013, 10:26 PM

Yes, I use Ladycup. And yes, it has one of the smallest cups (I also like the colors they come in, lol). I've never had any issues with it being too pliable, it's always been perfect for me. Just realize that when you do get one there is a bit of a learning curve inserting and removing it. It may be fairly easy for those who have used tampons regularly, but I had a few frustrating months trying to use it before I finally learned what worked for me.

Kanti
04-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Ummm what exactly does the cup do? O_O

MerEmma
04-16-2013, 10:57 PM
It holds the stuff in it with a suction seal.

Patches
04-17-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm so confused. >___> Everyone keeps making comments about not wanting to shove things up there. Is everyone on this forum too young to have sex or something? Lordy, I am confused. Well, tampons are not much compared to sex. I have sex. Lots of sex. THERE, I said it. I'm not the most ladylike mermaid lol sorry.

I started using tampons when I was 10. My mom never made it out to be a big deal. So when I was 10 and got my first period, I tried using a tampon and it hurt SO bad. I mean, me being ten I was definitely not old enough to be using them and I decided that my mom is an idiot.
I've noticed tampons reduce my cramps? I have no idea why.
I used pads for the first several years of womanhood. I HATED the feeling of standing up and a ton of blood rushing out every single time. I had a super heavy period
and I was in fifth grade. It was terrible. I finally got so sick of it and after going through two boxes I think I finally got used to it.

I ended up getting put on birth control when I was 13.OBGYN suspected PMDD. I could soak through a super tampon in like 2-3 hours. It was ridiculous.
Before being put on birth control my period was so bad sometimes I couldn't go to school. I was in so much pain I'd cry and I constantly felt like I was going
to throw up 24-7. (I just never did because I have a phobia of vomiting) Not even a heating pad would help.
I've always wanted to try the cup, though.

Blondie
04-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Am I the few who had a fantastic experience with tampons? xD

I used to be a dancer, and I danced with a pad on. I never really had problems with pads. Eventually with summer, I got frustrated with using pads. (My mom didn't really help me with my period. I swam with thin pads on sometimes!)

So one day I was like, "I'll just try it." Changed my life. Felt like I wasn't on my period. I find that tampons help my cramps. Almost... Comforts it? It's strange. I love love love tampons. I don't think I could ever use a cup. I feel like it would be a bit messy to clean up when you take it out... Plus I'd have a constant fear of it falling out of place.

Kanti
04-17-2013, 03:23 AM
I'm so confused. >___> Everyone keeps making comments about not wanting to shove things up there. Is everyone on this forum too young to have sex or something? Lordy, I am confused. Well, tampons are not much compared to sex. I have sex. Lots of sex. THERE, I said it. I'm not the most ladylike mermaid lol sorry.

Baaahahahaha
I'm actually fine with sex but when it comes to tampons I'm a huge chickenshit.
Hmm but I dunno Blondie's comment may be convincing me... xD

ShyMer
04-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Emma, I've not used the cup yet, just reusable pads, but I've found that being more involved my cycle has helped me become more body positive in general. it sounds like you are feeling betrayed by your body's natural processes, and I get that. I guess if you're also squeamish about blood, it could make this a lot more difficult.

Can you talk to your mom about all this? Mine always gave me the feeling that you don't talk about it, but I think if I tried, things would have been a lot easier growing up, especially if you discover a problem along the way. Have you told your mom about your three week period? it might be nothing serious, but it's good to be on top of these things just in case.
I agree about going to a gyno. Try to get a female doctor if you can, it might make you feel more comfortable.

MerEmma
04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
I've talked to her about a lot but I havent really mentioned the three week thing, again, because I never thought it was weird or abnormal since it's still all new and such. I feel like if it happens again then it'll be worth mentioning, but...still.

Winged Mermaid
04-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Emma I was super scared of using tampons when I was your age too. I didn't really want to talk about it to anyone either, but I ended up talking to my big sister and she just gave me some pointers. Firstly they make tampons that are made for "light" times, and they are smaller than the rest. This helps if you're not use to putting things up there (at least I found that to be true) and is less intimidating than regular size tampons.. or for me the super big ones the other women in my family used (I will just say I'll count my blessings that I didn't inherit the heavy periods like they did haha). Also the Tampax Pearl may not be eco friendly, but they are great for girls just starting out becuase the applicator is made of a smooth plastic. I've used different kinds since then and they're much more "user friendly" and comfortable if you're not use to it or familiar with application. Once you're more comforatable you can always move to cardboard applicators or a cup. I wouldn't start off with a cup becuase it has it's own learning curve from what I've heard from all I know who use it, and you don't want to overwhelm yourself starting out. It also helped me to read the instructions that came with the box front and back to ease my nerves so I knew more of what I was supposed to be doing. Now you have the internet so I'm sure there's educational sites out there on that as well. If the blood makes you squeamish, just don't look it when you take it out, or try your best not to. Have a was of toilet paper ready, and just take it out, wrap it up, and throw it in the trash.

But I agree with Blondie- Tampons are sooo much better than pads for me! It feels so much cleaner to me too, which reflects in my attitude in the day and makes me feel less self conscious. I mean girls forget they're wearing them all the time becuase you can't feel them they're so comfortable. (They don't really forget-forget becuase you can feel/see the string when you go to the bathroom.) Unlike a pad which to me is in the back of my mind constantly when I wear one :/ I'm thinking of getting a cup as well, I'm just going through the millions of boxes of tampons my family decided to send with my stuff when I moved. They meant well and to save me money which I appreciate, it was just really funny to find like 10 boxes of tampons randomly in with my clothing XD Hope my comments helped you at least a little :)

Kanti
04-17-2013, 12:55 PM
@Emma - I actually had the same thing happen once, my period was around 4 weeks and I went to the gyno and all she did was tell me I should be on birth control to regulate my period. I dunno how your body is set, but I was underweight at the time so that was one possibility of why it happened. When you're underweight or overweight sometimes your body can't keep a steady period, I think it has to do with the fact that your period is your body basically saying "okay you can have kids" so that's usually why periods are so unsteady. I mean, I'm just guessing on that so *shrug*
But my gyno never actually said what the reason was nor acted like it was a huge deal. She just said "Oh go to a lab and get some bloodwork to make sure your red bloodcell count is normal" and then she gave me birth control and said that would make it steady.

Also wouldn't you feel the cup more than tampons? It seems very intrusive and noticeable compared to a cotton tampon that can probably bend and flex a lot easier.

Mermaid Melusinah
04-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Also wouldn't you feel the cup more than tampons? It seems very intrusive and noticeable compared to a cotton tampon that can probably bend and flex a lot easier.

There is a bit of a learning curve with the cup. it was mostly for me keeping it folded for the insertion. other then that, it only took one cycle to get it. and when you take it out you just dump the blood into the toilet, wash it of with some hot water and mild soap (unscented dial is best) and rinse really well. Dry it and stick it back in. I DO recommend trying the smallest of tampons like Iona said. (very good idea) And no Kanti, I have never noticed mine in place once. Its silicone, so the flex is better then tampons if you ask me.

Kanti
04-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Maybe. I think I'd buy tampons just to train to use the cup.
I mean I guess I'm not terrified of sticking crap up there it's just I'd prefer to not do it, so I probably would need to practice n stuff. The whole string of a tampon hanging out also sort of weirds me out. Nothing TERRIBLE it just seems hilarious and weird for there to be a string xD

Mermaid Lorelei
04-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I've actually used tampons since pretty much my first period. Admittedly, they were really weird the first time, but my mom told me all about it and said not to worry. I've never had a problem with tampons, and they were kind of my only option when I was younger. I was in so many different sports (including swimming) that it wasn't really a good idea to wear pads. Honestly, I really dislike the feeling of pads and no matter how thin they are, I always feel like people can tell I'm wearing one. XD

I can understand the feeling of discomfort or dislike about putting something inside of you, but you really do get used to it pretty quickly. If it helps, I suggest researching just how to use tampons or cups. I've found that the more you know, the less intimidating the whole process is. Getting to know your own body helps as well. I was scared of everything down below until one day I just decided I'd had enough. I pulled up some medical websites and learned what I could. It helped tremendously.

And I definitely agree about getting in to see a GYNO. And you definitely want a female. They'll understand what you're dealing with and (in my experience) will do everything they can to help take the mystery out of what's going on down below. :3

MerEmma
04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
I am currently underweight by three pounds (according to BMI but what does BMI know anyway) but I'm working on that. I still don't really know what I'll end up doing, but I really appreciate everything you guys are saying. It is making me feel a bit better. It's just that, like I said, it's currently literally like 5 drops or so and that doesn't seem worth a tampon.

Kanti
04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
I've actually used tampons since pretty much my first period. Admittedly, they were really weird the first time, but my mom told me all about it and said not to worry. I've never had a problem with tampons, and they were kind of my only option when I was younger. I was in so many different sports (including swimming) that it wasn't really a good idea to wear pads. Honestly, I really dislike the feeling of pads and no matter how thin they are, I always feel like people can tell I'm wearing one. XD

I can understand the feeling of discomfort or dislike about putting something inside of you, but you really do get used to it pretty quickly. If it helps, I suggest researching just how to use tampons or cups. I've found that the more you know, the less intimidating the whole process is. Getting to know your own body helps as well. I was scared of everything down below until one day I just decided I'd had enough. I pulled up some medical websites and learned what I could. It helped tremendously.

And I definitely agree about getting in to see a GYNO. And you definitely want a female. They'll understand what you're dealing with and (in my experience) will do everything they can to help take the mystery out of what's going on down below. :3

Urgg yea I'm seriously getting tired of pads but honestly they're just so convenient for me since I've never taken the time to practice with tampons so I never get to use them xD
I am considering the cup a lot, though. It doesn't look that bad and it actually looks shorter than a tampon, it's just wider? I looked up some videos to see how to put it in and all that but I REALLY like the whole re-useable, cleanable, no stick, no absorb, etc. It just seems so much better in comparison to throwing out pads all the damn time.

Kanti
04-17-2013, 02:33 PM
I am currently underweight by three pounds (according to BMI but what does BMI know anyway) but I'm working on that. I still don't really know what I'll end up doing, but I really appreciate everything you guys are saying. It is making me feel a bit better. It's just that, like I said, it's currently literally like 5 drops or so and that doesn't seem worth a tampon.
Maybe that's why then? From a biological standpoint, underweight animals usually stop being able to produce steadily because their body is evaluating that you're too malnourished to care for a child. So I think that's why the period starts up randomly.
Haha and I think I know what the BMI is? Isn't it a questionaire basically? So I'm sure you can't expect it to be very accurate xD

But anyhow I'd say just stick with whatevers comfortable, but try out new things! You might discover the thing you thought was scary actually isnt so bad when you put it in comfortably and give it time to get used to. I still use pads to this day and I need to upgrade to something else imo. It is scary to put stuff up there, though, so I mean it's just a matter of practicing when you're OFF your period so you don't have to be put into a stressful situation of "oh sh*t I have to get used to this in 5 hours" or something.

Mermaid Lorelei
04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Never practice when you're not on your period! All you'll end up doing is hurting yourself. Tampons are meant to be used on a period only! If you need to practice, choose a time when you have a lot of free time to get comfortable. Being in a rush never helps. If you find you still don't like them after giving them a chance, then just go back to pads.

Kanti
04-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Whoops! Sorry I take it back then xD
I clearly don't know much in this area haha

Mermaid Lorelei
04-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Haha, you're fine Kanti. I just didn't want someone getting hurt. :3

And yeah, after 9 years of periods, you tend to know a bit about it. XD

ShyMer
04-17-2013, 03:25 PM
you know, if you're only getting a few drops every once in a while (after a regular flow), that might be considered spotting, which isn't all that unusual. if you make sure you shower off before you get in the pool (which is good idea anyway) this might not even be something you need to worry about. you still wanna keep track of it, as it can indicate that something's wrong, but it's probably normal :)

MerEmma
04-17-2013, 03:39 PM
For the last time around it was definitely just spitting but this time it's a tad bit heavier, but nothing like the first two periods. =P

BMI = Body Mass Index. It's like...I want to say the FDA but some big organization's way of telling you what weight is healthy for your body based on age and height. It's known for being somewhat innaccurate because muscle is heavy like fat.

Mizuko
04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
It can take a good year or so for your body to do 'regular' flows, so not to worry about spotting and stuff in the beginning :)
I personally cannot survive without tampons- but I couldn't get them in until I was about 16 XD I couldnt physically do it. Now, I only wear them. I dont bleed at night, so I dont have to worry about wearing them all the time, though. And since being on the pill my period is light and predictable. Horray for predictable periods! haha!

Blondie
04-18-2013, 02:48 AM
Another thing I'd like to add about tampons.

It really is a mental thing when you put them in. The key is to relax. The more you relax, the more lose your muscles are. It doesn't hurt at all when you just calm down and breathe. But if you panic when you do it, you're going to meet resistance. Not to say that will hurt so bad. It doesn't it's just not something you'd like to feel all the time. It's kinda like dropping something light on your foot :P Doesn't hurt but doesn't feel good.

ShyMer
04-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Just got the size 1 diva cup today! trying to figure it out... i know it'll take a bit before i can get it in correctly first try, but for some reason I'm having trouble getting it all the way. The base keeps settling just inside the opening with the stem hanging out. I can't get it to rotate and any time i try pushing it in farther it just sides back to where it was. I'm puzzled. Perhaps i just have a low cervix? Any tips would be lovely, ladies. I'm having trouble finding help online.

Something enter that i found through researching solutions- how about cup use for individuals with an in tact hymen?

Thalassa
04-21-2013, 12:12 AM
I've found that my cup sits several ways depending on the day. Some days it sits low, and the stem hangs out, some days it sits high. I'm still a virgin, but I've used tampons so my hymen may or may not be intact, I'm honestly not sure about that question with it. It also might be "releasing" and unfolding a bit too soon, thus suctioning low and not moving up. If you can break the suction before trying to move it up it might help, or if you make it release a bit later.

Some things to think about: are you tensing your muscles? That can make the cup hard to get in and make it sit low. It really took me a while to figure out when I was tensing my muscles and how to forcibly relax them. It's sort of like if you were trying to pee really hard and fast. It was recommended to me to (and yes, I know this sounds gross) stick my finger "up there" and flex a few times so I could feel when I was tense and when I was relaxed, but I was able to figure it out without that. It might help to look up Kegel exercises (as awkward as that is).

Also, a lot of people trim the stem on their cups. They're made long so you can grab 'em for removal. I know people who trim theirs completely off (which begs the question: how the heck do they get it out?) and I've trimmed mine a bit when they've bugged me.

Hope this helps!

Usagi
04-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Idk if this has been posted already, but here's a nice little video... xD
http://jezebel.com/5980503/mad-flow-watch-a-tampon-vs-mooncup-rap-battle
Thalassa, I was just about to ask about the virgin thing! lol
My issue is that my mom won't buy me one because she thinks they're gross and doesn't want to wash her hands in the sink where someone has washed a cup. Wtf?
Also...I'm 18...and I haven't seen a doctor since I was 12 (aside from the occasional ear infection and such). But talking to people makes me really nervous and hot. I don't even like talking to strangers on the phone or asking for help at a store. So I don't want to make an appt and my mom keeps forgetting. And she wants to go with me! like Wtf, mother, go away! I don't want her to see what I put on the forms. I'm an EXTREMELY private person, even about unimportant stuff.

BEWARE, SUPER TMI MOMENT:
I'm pretty sure I have some sort of infection like a yeast infection or bacterial vagiwhatever. It wasn't until recently that I realized something was off (involving discharge), but it's been that way since I was about 14. I feel like if I have to get medicine for it, my mom is going to think I'm having sex with my boyfriend (which, at 18, really isn't anyone else's business. And we've been together for two years.) and then my parents will try to have a tighter reign on me! I mean we haven't even had sex, but my parents still don't trust me! eodnsjsisbej

ShyMer
04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Thalassa- thank you, you helped me figure it out. I find that if i tried twisting it before it was in all the way, it unfolded just fine. I do have trouble with testing up involuntarily. I'll keep your advice in mind.

Syd- what's the deal with your mom? It makes her sound really insensitive :/ Anyway, what does she do when someone gets blood on their other laundry by accident? Cause it's the same thing. I don't think most people realize that.
also, i feel like pads and tampons are more gross than cups. with pads, you're sitting on it the whole time, whereas cups only have to be emptied out a couple times a day. Maybe she's squeamish about blood or ashamed of menstruation?

also your mom needs to realize that it's okay to care about your wellbeing, but she needs to give you some privacy for things like doctor visits. My mom was the same way.

Blondie
04-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Try drinking cranberry juice. It's supposed to help flush infections away.

AniaR
04-23-2013, 04:57 PM
you cervix sits higher or lower depending on your hormones and where you are in your cycle. :)

As for it being a mental thing for tampons, I can totally agree. I have a disease which causes pelvic floor spasmimg. (imagine feeling a charlie horse type pain, down "there" and the constant feeling of your worst cramps!) part of my illness makes all those muscles spastic and harder to relax, and even I can do it :)

The only time tampons really could be a problem is if you're someone who is prone to yeast infections- as they can prolong it, and worsen symptoms. Many ladies can get them even without symptoms, and because we're in water all the time and maybe sitting around in wet tails we can be at a higher risk.

MerEmma
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
I just talked to my mom about the cups. I was so unnecessarily nervous, haha. She said she's tried them before and didn't like it at all but I told her I was SO determined to make it work, and I really really am. She's going to think about it--hopefully it'll all work out. ):

Usagi
04-24-2013, 06:01 PM
So my mom gave in and. got a cup and just put it in. It hurt. Wah ); lol and I couldn't rotate it, so I just left it..I hope that doesn't have an effect. Does anyone know why it hurt? I'm guessing either because I'm not used to the size or because I dried it. I thought having water on it would be bad. Meh.

MerEmma
04-24-2013, 06:14 PM
It might be too big? That would be my first thought but I'm quite inexperienced. :p

Thalassa
04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
What kind and size did you get? Also, dry is not good. Dry runs are painful. I usually get mine a little wet before inserting it or insert it in the shower. Water won't hurt it at all, and you need at least a little lubrication.

Also, don't get frustrated! It takes a bit to get used to inserting it.

SeaGlass Siren
04-24-2013, 08:50 PM
i think i spotted a question earlier about the age group of us... can't remember who asked. but anyway..

i'm 21-22. and i much prefer pads over cups/tampons. and yes i also have sex. BOOM. betcha didnt see that coming.

SeaGlass Siren
04-24-2013, 08:56 PM

I started using tampons when I was 10. My mom never made it out to be a big deal. So when I was 10 and got my first period, I tried using a tampon and it hurt SO bad. I mean, me being ten I was definitely not old enough to be using them and I decided that my mom is an idiot.
I've noticed tampons reduce my cramps? I have no idea why.
I used pads for the first several years of womanhood. I HATED the feeling of standing up and a ton of blood rushing out every single time. I had a super heavy period
and I was in fifth grade. It was terrible. I finally got so sick of it and after going through two boxes I think I finally got used to it.

I ended up getting put on birth control when I was 13.OBGYN suspected PMDD. I could soak through a super tampon in like 2-3 hours. It was ridiculous.
Before being put on birth control my period was so bad sometimes I couldn't go to school. I was in so much pain I'd cry and I constantly felt like I was going
to throw up 24-7. (I just never did because I have a phobia of vomiting) Not even a heating pad would help.
I've always wanted to try the cup, though.

oh here we go. found it :P i used tampons once so that i could swim for my triathalon.. but when i got into the pool it eventually slipped out ;___;

*and it was my first time shoving it up there so i was really determined to get it in..i dont think i shoved it up properly.*

MerEmma
04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm just so determined to get the cup to work for me since I really don't want to use tampons and the cup is just so convenient...I want the eco-friendly, the convenience, how body-positive it can make you be...et cetera. :P I'm so determined to make it work, just seriously. I feel like if it hurts, I'm going to keep trying and just keep using it as often as I can until I make it work.

Also weird question lol but Thalassa, what color LadyCup did you get? I think I'd want the red since it would disguise the contents a bit...haha.

AniaR
04-24-2013, 09:46 PM
water on it wont hurt you - heck you can even try lube! (also a good trick for getting tampons in, lol)

Usagi
04-24-2013, 11:17 PM
I got a size 1 diva cup. I just thought water would be bad because, like....bacteria gestation or something haha maybe next time I'll put it in before I pee instead of after. When it hurt, my initial thought was "Dam you, virginity!" haha but thalassa said that doesn't affect her, so I guess I just gotta practice lol

Mermaid Pickles
04-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Okay, so......I'm nineteen, have always used pads, and really want to try using something else, but have a horrible fear of putting anything up there because my sister had problems once with tampons...I am deathly afraid of getting an infection from forgetting a tampon. I've never used tampons or anything like that.....SO advice? Because during the summer, I always REALLY want to go swimming even while on my period, since swimming is about all I can do in the summer for exercise. My body just shuts down when it's over seventy-five degrees outside unless I'm swimming....it's always been that way. Help me please? You guys look like you'd have some advice.... or ideas to help me with my fears.

Usagi
04-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Well tampons, for me at least, have always been relatively pain free. And I'm always keeping track of the time. I calculate it. like if I put one in at 7 am, 7 + 8 = 15 = 3 pm. I use the biggest ones available and haven't had a problem with them. They might seem scary, but if you have a heavier flow, they're freaking life savers lol I'm guessing you don't, though if you've gotten away with just using pads

Usagi
04-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Also, ladies, I just tried it again...and again, it hurt! COULD this have something to do with being a virgin? Because it doesn't hurt when it's inside, just at the opening. I was planning on not having sex until I'm married..but if it feels like this, I'm never having sex! lol

spottedcatfish
04-25-2013, 02:25 AM
What a discussion we are having here! Well I use pads and light tampons. I'd love to try a cup based product though. But I'm scared that I'll drop it when taking it out, or inserting it and it will fall into the toilet! lol

SeaGlass Siren
04-25-2013, 07:52 AM
No when you have sex the cave opens a bit wider so going in doesnt hurt as bad. Only after the first time. The key is to get it really lubricated before insertion . Of the cup.

Usagi
04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Spot, that's my fear, too! Haha especially at the ren faire, because we only have port-a-potties! Yucky! haha and thanks, andrea. Don't know how I'm gonna do that, though..maybe I'll buy some coconut oil lolol

SeaGlass Siren
04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Local drugstores carry lubricants in bottles, just ask the retailers.

SeaGlass Siren
04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Sometimes u can find them in the condom section too.

Mermaid Pickles
04-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Well tampons, for me at least, have always been relatively pain free. And I'm always keeping track of the time. I calculate it. like if I put one in at 7 am, 7 + 8 = 15 = 3 pm. I use the biggest ones available and haven't had a problem with them. They might seem scary, but if you have a heavier flow, they're freaking life savers lol I'm guessing you don't, though if you've gotten away with just using pads
If this was directed towards me, thanks. And I do have heavy flow, I use the super de duper heavy flow pads and have to change at least every two hours if not every hour. =.= And I can't do birth control, because t would interfere with the other meds I take for WHATEVER the heck I have. =.=.

Usagi
04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
I think you should start a tampon/pad combo. Like wear a pad with the small tampons. then work your way up to the bigger ones and eventually you won't need a pad (maybe a liner, though. I have to use one at the beginning of my period even with the gigantic tampons) and you'll feel like a changed woman. Stress-free.

Reminder to whoever: always carry extra tampons. You never know if you'll drop one in the toilet! lol

andrea- I may be 18, but I think if my mother found out I had a bottle of lube, I would be in trouble. Lol but I've read that coconut oil can be used as a lubricant, even for sex, so if I ever have the need (period-wise), I'll probably just use that. I know it's weird. But at least it smells good! haha

AniaR
04-25-2013, 04:28 PM
hurting at the opening means you aren't relaxed enough, your opening is too tight- maybe try inserting it by lying down. And not so be gross but you are trying it on your period right? Don't try it when you're not. Take it really slow, make sure it's lubed up with either water or actual lube, and don't push yourself. The more you do, the tighter things will get and the more they will hurt.

Usagi
04-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Gross? It takes a lot to gross me out. haha I thought I was about to start my period..my tracking app says so it was supposed to be today lol I used a tampon yesterday because I did notice a bit of blood when I peed but there hasn't actually been blood-blood in the cup. Just the wonderful pre-menstruation stuff or whatever. I read that right before your period starts, your body gets rid of anything that's already in there, like blood from your last period that never made its way out. So I just like to refer to that stuff as "the leftovers" lol

AniaR
04-26-2013, 05:05 PM
yeah so it may not be working for you because you aren't on it yet

Mermaid Pickles
04-26-2013, 07:57 PM
I think you should start a tampon/pad combo. Like wear a pad with the small tampons. then work your way up to the bigger ones and eventually you won't need a pad (maybe a liner, though. I have to use one at the beginning of my period even with the gigantic tampons) and you'll feel like a changed woman. Stress-free.

Reminder to whoever: always carry extra tampons. You never know if you'll drop one in the toilet! lol

andrea- I may be 18, but I think if my mother found out I had a bottle of lube, I would be in trouble. Lol but I've read that coconut oil can be used as a lubricant, even for sex, so if I ever have the need (period-wise), I'll probably just use that. I know it's weird. But at least it smells good! haha
Thanks! WIll do! SO glad you helped me out! If I were talking face to face, I'd give huge hug, but I'll just have to settle for being very happy.

AniaR
04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Can I just say I'm really happy with how this thread turned out? I'm thrilled so many of you are trying these things, and that we have a safe place to discuss it!

Usagi
04-26-2013, 08:58 PM
PERIODS ARE WEIRD, MAN. lol I have a theory that the cup released air when I put it in, and now there's air pressure keeping everything in. Haha!
I like having a place to talk about periods without feeling awkward. I don't know why society sees it as a hush hush thing. Maybe it goes back to puritans (or whoever) who sent women into the forest when they were menstruating because they thought there was something with the devil going on. Something like that.

SeaGlass Siren
04-26-2013, 10:46 PM
We are just too magical maaaan!

Mermaid Pickles
04-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Raina, lOL. you never know, MAYBE that IS why. That's an interesting thought. And it does feel nice to have a place where I can talk about it.

AniaR
04-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Well, I actually took a course on women's history and we read this really interesting book called "The Body Project". It pointed out how in North America, periods are treated as being dirty and not something we talk about. Where in other parts of the world, they're a huge coming of age for women and are celebrated. My stepmom home schooled my two baby sisters, and as they both approached their teens years, she and I talked a lot about this. So when they finally got it, we celebrated. I want to do the same thing for my own kids :)

SeaGlass Siren
04-28-2013, 06:07 PM
I like that you guys did that Raina. It shouldn't be a taboo thing to avoid talking about. I wasnt taught about periods until I actually started bleeding. I thought I was dying and my mom started laughing at me :(

This time around we're educating my 7 year old niece and she already knows what it is and where it comes from and what you're supposed to do.

Usagi
04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Is anyone on this site a gyno?

AniaR
04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
no don't think so, and even if they were I don't think they're legally allowed to give out advice unless it's through specific chanels

Miyu
07-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Diva Cup. Every woman needs one. I converted my best friend! I got one years ago and never looked back, used tampons once since (lost my cup) and immediately ran out for a new one.

No emergency runs to the drugstore, no embarrassing your guy with having to go get them, less cramps, lighter period, better uhm... smell and taste, from what my guy says. I never accidentally get the bed or my clothes, because now my lady parts have timed it so that, no matter what time I go to sleep/wake up, I don't start bleeding until the first time I go to the little fishies room after waking. And man, has that thing saved my butt at some festivals!