View Full Version : Pilling on old Fin Fun tail

Trade Winds
04-23-2017, 05:46 AM
I have a purple Mermaiden tail from Fin Fun, which I got in 2014. Its been thru a ton of swimming. After my swim yesterday, I noticed it is pilling quite badly now. I usually wear to natural water, and pools a couple times. Yesterday was a pool. The tail is getting up there in age for a fabric tail. I want it to last a while still before I buy a new one. What can I do it ditch the pilling? Otherwise the tail has no rips, tears, etc just ugly pilling. Luckily it is only noticable up close out of water, but it is still ugly and obvious

Spindrift
04-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Photos?

Hydra1337
04-23-2017, 08:51 AM
I've seen videos where people gently use shaving razors on sweaters to get rid of pilling and it seems to work well. I'm not sure how well it would work on lycra but maybe you can try that method until you can replace the tail skin?

Trade Winds
04-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Here is the fluke tip where it is the worst

Merman Storm
04-23-2017, 09:35 AM
There are shavers specifically for this. Go to amazon and search for

battery+operated+fuzz+remover

Trade Winds
04-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Took a look on the inside of the fluke, and I can see little rivets from where I guess the fabric has been pulled out with the pilling? Bit concerned about using a shaver on it now

Mermaid.Mikayla
05-18-2017, 12:08 PM
My FinFun tail has been doing this also.

IslandGirl
08-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Since it looks like the piling is not everywhere, it's not caused by water reacting with the fabric. it must be caused by the fabric touching rough surfaces, like rocks or sand or pool bottom or pool deck...and touching causes micro-snags that lead to the fuzzy pilling. That's why it is worst at the edges.

Sorry that is not a solution but at least you can be aware that these don't last forever specifically because tails don't like to touch solid objects.