PDA

View Full Version : tinting silicone

Odette
02-29-2012, 11:40 PM
there doesn't seem to be a thread on this and its super important! i think its essentail to have the color not chip off. it happens with alot of tails and even though it its tricky at times and could change depending on type of silicone or consistency, i feel its worth it. having multiple colors is hard so maybe just have a base color and spray the rest on. experimenting is expensive but useful!
(trans-tint is on the left. powder is the far right)

this is what i used. the createx worked fine.(silver)
powder tint i found at the workshop.i tried to find the name but maybe i can find some more with a label. if you dont add enough it leaves parts clear.(far right)
the other is trans-tint. this was liquid drops. if you add too much, it makes it darker than you want. mixes well(far left)
ALL of these paints and tints need to be filtered through a stocking before mixing.

1903i tried mixing gold createx once and it turned out bad. if you ask, ill try to find more info on this.i tinted part of my silicone tail so ill get pics of that too.

ill post more soon.

if you know anything on this, please do share. i get asked about this alot and hopefully those people can come on here and see this and your info too =P

Mermaid Lorelei
02-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Have you tried flocking?

Odette
02-29-2012, 11:51 PM
ooo! no i havent. do tell =3

Mermaid Lorelei
02-29-2012, 11:59 PM
I haven't personally tried it yet either, but I'm hoping to use it eventually. Supposedly it gives great depth and range of color within your died or clear silicone. I believe it is shredded crushed velvet. It's extremely fine, like seriously soft sand. Common uses include adding natural blue and red depth to skin prosthetics like hands or faces. I imagine it would look really good if used on somewhat transparent fins and fluke portions where you want to add some depth to the color without completely cutting out the transparency.

Odette
03-01-2012, 12:22 AM
thats a great idea!!! WOW thats what i want to do with another tail design. partially tinted -yet-clear blue. glad you mentioned it! ill try this sometime and post pics.i assume all you have to do is add a smig to some silicone and the particles will add a partial tint.

Mermaid Lorelei
03-01-2012, 12:12 PM
As far as I've been able to understand, that's basically how it works. You might want to try stippling it between two layers of silicone, too. It might keep the flocking from clumping together. I can't assure that adding it to silicone to pour will make a smooth tint.

Odette
03-02-2012, 05:32 PM
is this the look you were looking for?
all i did was take 2 teaspoons of silicone and dipped the tip of a popsicle stick in the powder and mixed that well.

Mermaid Lorelei
03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
The link doesn't work for me. O.o

lasserine
03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Is that silicone with no pigments, or dos it have some?

I am going to do thin pieces on my tail, and im curious.

Odette
03-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Is that silicone with no pigments, or dos it have some?

I am going to do thin pieces on my tail, and im curious.

pigment? very little. i was going for a mix of clear and green. its really thin.and wont work well on the tail unless its thick enought to not rip with your hands. problem is when you get it thicker, its more likely to look more cloudy. ill have to do a test with thickness next.

lasserine
03-02-2012, 08:31 PM
What did you add to the silicone to make it that color? Just pigment or also flocking?

Mermaid Lorelei
03-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I can see the picture now. Odd. Anyways, yes, that's about the look I was hoping for. :3

Odette
03-05-2012, 11:06 PM
What did you add to the silicone to make it that color? Just pigment or also flocking?
i used a type of pigment(powdered) and its super easy. just add very little until you get the look you want.

lasserine
03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Ah yes, pigment. I heard about that. Thank you. Will need to do tests for colors and thickness myself.

MermaidRaegan
04-11-2012, 04:53 PM
What do you mean by filtering it through a stocking?

Ilonka
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Im going to buy these powder pigments, its a whole set of colors and they are for car painting so id imagine they will mix well with latex and silicone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-x-10g-Metallic-Pearl-Pigment-Paint-Powder-Color-Set-For-Auto-Art-Etc-/280858728358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41647c17a6#ht_711wt_889