PDA

View Full Version : I'd just like some help...

MermanJamie
05-28-2017, 04:35 PM
I know it takes some courage to come out as a mermaid/merman, and I certainly don't have it. I get self conscious because I overthink things. It's not just this. All of the guys I know can just talk to girls like that, and I can't in fear of ruining my friendly relationship with anyone. I always fear the worst, and I really want to let my family know, but I just can't bear it. The way it's going now, I'd likely have to wait several years, but I just wish I could do something to get over it. I need to stop thinking about the negative outcomes, and just dive right in (LOL, merfolk pun), but I just don't know how. If I could talk to my family, I might be more comfortable, but I just can't get over the negative outcome possibilities. Please, I would love it if anyone has any advice.

If you'd like more info on my life, and the conflicts I face with talking to my family, read my first thread:
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?14837-Need-help-talking-to-family

Alaw ferch Tonnau
05-29-2017, 04:06 AM
If you're worried about your family's reaction you could try testing the water (unintentional pun) by mentioning mermaiding without talking about doing it yourself to see what they make of it. I think one of the main problems with telling people is that many haven't heard of it. I don't pretend to be an expert on this. You don't have to tell everyone at once, of course. Do you have a friend or sibling you could tell first.

MermanJamie
05-29-2017, 08:42 AM
I've already told someone I know who's not my family, because she is very intelligent, and she knows people who don't do mermaiding, but very similar stuff. It was nice to talk to someone, but I'm still too scared to tell my family.

SIF
05-29-2017, 12:37 PM
Maybe reach out to your local pod and set up a really cool event with a local library or something. Invite your family to the event, and they'll see how cool you are and how cool Mer-ing is?

SIF
05-29-2017, 12:38 PM
When I came out as a Mer, my dad flat out laughed and my entire family said I couldn't do it professionally until I had them meet Mermaid Harmony. Dad saw that this was something I loved, deeply, and that made me feel like I could make a serious impact on the world and stood up to my mother and the rest of the family afterwards.

MermanJamie
05-29-2017, 05:33 PM
I mean, I guess that could work..but would I just tell my family that we would be going to an event and just drop the bomb on them when we were there? It seems like a good idea, just maybe a little sudden

MermanJamie
05-30-2017, 08:28 PM
Are you sure? I don't want to just drop it on them like that