PDA

View Full Version : Footpockets & Comfort

MerEmma
05-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Hi guys!! This is just a discussion for experiences and thoughts, I think.

I haven't been around lately but I finally had a chance to swim in my Finis Rapid this weekend! I previously owned a Mahina MerFin but it wore blisters into my heels and then eventually my feet outgrew the foot pockets so I upgraded to a Rapid. So the Mahina has a strap around the back of the heel and rubber is obviously very flexible, it was a fin that for me, was very easy to flip around in, kick and get some pretty good propulsion out of.

https://uniquehunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Merfin-Mermaid-Fin-Mahina-4-e1432211272792.jpg

Now I only swam in the Rapid for maybe 90 minutes, but I noticed immediately that I *felt* like the pockets, being plastic on the bottom, weren't bending with my feet in my kick. The BLADE is a lot stiffer than the Mahina (obviously!) but I ended up getting major foot cramps and could feel the way my deep body roll wasn't really transferring to the blade? My swim coaches always used to say I had a strong dolphin kick, I could've lost it since then, so I don't *think* it's my technique? Could've been anything unrelated but I was getting a lot of pain in my feet while swimming with it.

Could also be a difference in the Mahina having your heels free and the Rapid closed across the entire bottom. I haven't really seen any complaints about the Rapid's footpockets in the past, only that the straps come off frequently, so I'm curious other people's experiences. I tried with and without neoprene booties and I still felt my feet pointing and bending but they were just kind of trapped in the box? Have others felt this too, or are my feet/experiences unusual?

https://www.cdn-outlet.com/photos/options/2180-10804-3A-zoomin.jpg

(Future) Mermaid Lynne
05-28-2017, 11:30 PM
I only notice my feet cramping after about 2 hours in mine and it's usually stopped by resting for a few floating and waving my fin above the water side to side. It's silly but it works for me!
And I've only swam in the rapid so I can't say much for the technique being different because it's all molded. It came rather easily to me with this monofin.
The slipping of the straps only happens with me when I don't use proper form or when I'm being social and staying upright in the deep end! Of course once I squeeze my feet in the feet pockets I tighten the straps all the way so that may have something to do with it! [emoji39]
But I love it!
I'm planning on extending my monofin soon to make it more mermaid-y shaped. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerEmma
05-29-2017, 12:00 AM
In my brief, light swim, the straps didn't bother me too much. I think I only had to adjust them once on the Rapid, so that didn't really bother me at all! I just felt like the stiffness IN the pockets impacted my ability to swim. What do you mean by "it's all molded"?

(Future) Mermaid Lynne
05-29-2017, 12:10 AM
I meant being that the bottom of the foot pockets are on the molded monofin- not free-flowing. Basically I was trying to say that's why they're stiff!
It does mean less movement of your feet overall for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echidna
05-29-2017, 05:45 AM
I used the Rapid a lot, and I'm not a fan.
As mentioned, the footpocket is very stiff (the whole fin is stiff), and even when swimming with good technique and a lot of strength, I don't get much propulsion out of it due to the power not being transferred fully from feet to blade.
Same goes for all my other Finis fins, btw. Overpriced junk, imo.

Due to the weight of the fin, my feet and ankles get also tired pretty soon (although I had zero problems with blisters).
I'm nearly double as fast as soon as I don a non-Finis fin or just a random pair of bifins xD
I'd like to try a Mahina some day as I've only heard good things about it.

MerEmma
05-29-2017, 08:41 PM
The propulsion from foot to fin is definitely the biggest thing I noticed while swimming with it. Oddly enough, if I swam sideways, it felt a lot more effective? Glad to hear that someone else had similar issues with it! The fin felt pretty light to me, but then people say that the Mahina is heavy too and that wasn't an issue for me either so I must have more muscle in me than I think :P

Mermaid Alea
05-29-2017, 10:50 PM
Interesting! So my first monofin was a rapid and this year I got a Mahina. Today I was cutting the top of my Mahina's foot pockets because it presses down on my foot too much when swimming. I relieved some pressure but I think I might have to cut some more and maybe even cut a small dip in the side of the foot straps to help with the bad rubbing I am getting under my ankles. I am using neoprene socks too by the way. I read so many good things about the Mahina, but it is so uncomfortable on me and gives me foot cramps, etc. The Rapid is more comfortable in my opinion but I am starting to think it doesn't help with the dolphin kick as much. When I first used the Mahina, I felt like I was swimming a totally different way - a more natural way. The Rapid does seem a bit more awkward to swim in. I still enjoy the comfort and power it gives me. I am hoping to figure out how to make my Mahina comfortable because at the moment I can't fully test its performance when it hurts. After I cut the top of it today then tested it I was already swimming around quickly with far less pain.

Echidna
05-30-2017, 04:29 AM
The Rapid is more comfortable in my opinion but I am starting to think it doesn't help with the dolphin kick as much.

exactly. I feel the same way about most monofins nowadays, especially since I timed them all, and the results were quite embarrassing for the monofins :p

I think the "problem" might be that these fins are designed for the finswimming discipline.
While those guys and gals do use the dolphinkick, they swim differently than most mers or freedivers- first, they are close to the surface, they hold their entire upper body and arms totally stiff, and all the "action" is going on from the hips downward, with a lot of fast kneebend.
Just watch a few videos of a competition and you see what I mean.

This is a great technique for sprints, but it's not how you swim in a tail.
Even when doing a low amplitude kick, mers usually start the wave from the head and chest, not from the hips.
That looks far more natural and elegant, but you can't get the most out of a monofin meant for the less flexible sprint movement.
I would love to try out that new dolphin-like elongated fin to see if this model makes a difference, but it's too expensive unfortunately.

MerEmma
05-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Interesting! So my first monofin was a rapid and this year I got a Mahina. Today I was cutting the top of my Mahina's foot pockets because it presses down on my foot too much when swimming. I relieved some pressure but I think I might have to cut some more and maybe even cut a small dip in the side of the foot straps to help with the bad rubbing I am getting under my ankles. I am using neoprene socks too by the way. I read so many good things about the Mahina, but it is so uncomfortable on me and gives me foot cramps, etc. The Rapid is more comfortable in my opinion but I am starting to think it doesn't help with the dolphin kick as much. When I first used the Mahina, I felt like I was swimming a totally different way - a more natural way. The Rapid does seem a bit more awkward to swim in. I still enjoy the comfort and power it gives me. I am hoping to figure out how to make my Mahina comfortable because at the moment I can't fully test its performance when it hurts. After I cut the top of it today then tested it I was already swimming around quickly with far less pain.

Yeah, the flatness across the top of the toebox on the Mahina is not ideal. At times, I wanted to cut it although I never went through with it as the heel rubbing was more of an issue for me. You describing the Rapid kick as "awkward" I think best covers it--the Mahina was a freeflow kick that I felt flowed from my arms to my toes and through the fin, whereas using the same technique with the Rapid feels like my kick is lost at my toes. Most people seem to love the Mahina aside from those who prefer a stiffer fin, and I always agree with others about its' footpocket discomfort. I wish it were designed a little more with a human foot in mind, it's very square, and I have pretty square feet!

MermaidAiera
05-30-2017, 09:01 PM
Oh my, the rapid :thumbdown: I've tried out a lot of the competitive/freediving monofins, and the rapid was probably my least favorite. The plastic is far too stiff for my liking, and even as a competitive swimmer in peak condition it wears my ankles out fairly quickly. I don't think it's unusual to have difficulties with it at all. While the shape may not be as "desirable" as the rapid, the finis foil is a far better product in my eyes. Not only is it cheaper, but I find that it wears my ankles out a lot slower than the rapid because it has more give and a smaller blade. That by no means takes away from its effectiveness however, and I think it actually does a better job since it offers the user a lot more control than the rapid does. What's more, the ankle straps (while they do offer the freedom to adjust for shoe size) tend to break after time along with the clips that hold them in place. Long story short: the rapid can serve you well of course, but I think there are definitely products that would do you a better service :thinks:

I would love to try the mahina as I have yet to get my mitts on one. My one suspicion would be over how hydrodynamic it is and how much give is in the fin (perhaps too little propulsion for me as I've found in the aquarius and small mermaid monofin)

Echidna
06-09-2017, 01:42 PM
right, so I found a retailer here who sells Mahina fins, subito ordered one and today did my first test swim.
And since this thread is titled footpocket comfort, I'm going to jump back in here right away :p

It's the fastest monofin I've tested so far.
It's considerably faster than my competitor (no idea why mine is such a slow-ass version) and Rapid/Hydra etc, it's almost as fast as my fastest bifins (lol).
Big plus also that it's so pretty and flows so wonderfully in the water, and doesn't place the legs so far apart like "non-mer" monofins always do.
BUT
it's really a feetkiller. Oh my gosh. All the warnings were not exaggerated!
My version is supposed to be 2 numbers bigger than my feet, but although there is space, it still manages to chafe on the heels AND the toes where some large things seem to stick into the footpocket (?).
I tried it with thin socks, so maybe it is a bit better with thicker neo socks.
Although I doubt I could fit that inside.

I mean I know that most "merfins" are somehow a horror on the feet for some reason, while "normal" ones tend to be very comfy.
It's as if the proverb "beauty knows no pain" is a favorite saying of all the mer-monofin makers :p

I will probably cut some of the most unwieldy parts away, because it would be a shame to not want to swim much with the fin because it is so darn uncomfortable!

Mermaid Alea
06-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Echidna - yep that is what really gets me. The fin is nice looking, it has good speed - but my poor feet! I haven't been able to truly explore how much I can do in the Mahina because it hurts my feet before I can do much in it. I got neoprene socks for it but you are right - they are hard to fit inside but once you do, your feet will instantly cramp up making you even more uncomfortable.

I started cutting mine and instantly started feeling some of that pressure on my feet going away. I am currently waiting for the blister it gave me to fully heal before I test it again to be sure I cut off all the problem areas. I agree with you - I feel like it is such a waste to not be able to use it when it already has some wonderful qualities.

Ocean
06-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Hey lovely people - so I have just launched my own design of monofin - with the aim of addressing the very issue of foot comfort and of course eliminating the hard edge that a monofin makes when it is covered in fabric etc. This fin, The Ocean Star monofin is my attempt to create a monofin that can be used as is or under fabric etc. I am a competitive freediver and mermaid, most cheaper pro monofins are designed for fin swimming which is fast and they are not worn for a long time, comfort is not the focus on the design of these monofins. Professional freediving monofins are much heavier and the custom footpockets are too bulky for mermaid tails. So I have taken the best of both worlds and produced this high quality mermaid monofin.
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/19106003_10156295760489867_2634971012446108096_n.j pg?oh=495fa95ac12c9a846240298023fafd7c&oe=59CE14CE
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p180x540/19247886_10156295760019867_8388567915868835862_n.j pg?oh=af371e8dc0914aeea21e4dbafadf4d39&oe=59A4EC3D
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p180x540/19225583_10156295759799867_4364879008520082714_n.j pg?oh=83233f89b898a100152f46f8c501cdda&oe=59E8198A
https://www.facebook.com/shirley.turner30/videos/10156295776249867/

lotusauriel
06-22-2017, 07:21 PM
I am on my second mahina, because I did cut and paint my first one. I found that even though the medium should have fit fine, it dug into my high arches. My feet are also very wide, and I'm allergic to latex, so cutting it affected that. I tried to coat it, and that just made it too stiff to use at all. So the second one is a large, and while it's still a little tight, with the dive socks, it works. It's also teal, and I have a better tail design in mind, so I won't have to paint it so much. The foot pockets absolutely should NOT have any bumps inside toward the toes. If they do, that is a molding flaw. I did read that they take practice and time to get used to. It's almost like you are working different muscles and tendons in your feet. I do know that it is supposed to stretch and break in around your feet, eventually. My biggest issue with it is that it's latex. I also don't like the flipped out tips, but that is easily fixed. I did find that it moves better, the longer you leave it. It is supposed to be flowy. When you shorten it too much, it becomes like any other stiff monofin. But honestly, once you get used to the foot pockets, these really are the most amazing swim ever. I am waiting to see reviews on the new Finis Luna, which is silicone, to see how the propulsion is. If it compares with the mahina, I'm going to be the happiest mer ever. I will happily pay around $100 for a monofin, if it works. I can't throw down $400+ on something completely unknown.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Ocean
06-23-2017, 02:38 PM
I can understand the concern about investing in a good monofin - as a competitive freediver I first used the Glide before buying a Monchanov custom made fin for me,(http://molchanovs.com/product/sport-fiberglass-monofin) it is my fin for life now, I have no need to get anything else, it was my first buy and it cost over £400 at the time, so my approach is that exactly - buy a high quality fin, designed purely for mermaids, with custom sized foot-pockets, eliminating all issues of discomfort, made from natural rubber and padded internally, at £315.00 it really is not much for a monofin unless you are looking at buying ones designed for fin swimming, which is sprints and not designed to be worn for long. I know that I have compared mine to the likes of finis and I have tried the finis silicone fin at its launch, I will reserve my opinion on all of them, but it does explain why so many people think monofin swimming is so hard.... it is not , it is all dependant on the make and design of the fin itself. I am 100% confident with my product and I appreciate your concern but I can assure you that if some one was so unhappy I would refund them on return of the fin in suitable condition. And yes my fin is unknown at this time as it has just been launched, I am looking forward to seeing the final creation of those who have bought one and are currently making their fabric and neoprene tail skins.

lotusauriel
06-23-2017, 02:51 PM
I have a good monifin. I am still allergic to it. And I'm still not going to put more money into something I already know I will be allergic to. If you really want to sell your product, get away from the "natural rubber" latex. It is a medical issue, and opens you up safety issues.

Ocean
06-23-2017, 06:28 PM
The rubber that we use is exactly the same as what is used for THE leading monofin brand, used by International world record holders, I understand that you may be allergic to what is used on your fin but this rubber is not the same, which is why I have never heard of anyone having a medical issue with the product we have used :cool:- I have a slight reaction to certain rubbers but the mahina is not made with the same grade of rubber as my fins. I hope that you find a way to protect yourself from your latex allergy, I am sure it is not nice to have. Perhaps the silicone finis (Luna) is your next best option, and it is only £99, (but it is tiny and very floppy)

lotusauriel
06-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Ocean. Obviously you have made this thread about you and selling your products, and promoting only YOUR experiences, above anyone else's. It wasn't about you. It was about any and all monofins, and asking about how to deal with certain things. We understand you have a new product. But I was talking about what I have done and need, in response to someone else's inquiry and issue. This is supposed to be about helping others, not bombarding us with what you have for sale, and trying to invalidate any other fin or need. I think we can all decide what we each need without being sold to in a help thread. There is a classified section. Please find it. Thanks.

Ocean
06-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Oh Lordy no!! I think you have greatly misinterpreted what I have written - my goal is solely to share may experience in the hope that others will make great choices with they decisions - at no point have I made this about myself at all. I am just super excited about how awesome things can be and cant understand why you have said what you have said BUT moving on - I hope that the lovely merfolk on this thread and others get all the opinions and advice and experience they need to make an informed decision - I most certainly have not invalidated any other fins - it is called reviewing and as I am not big on posting reviews I can still share my experience as and when needed - I happen to have a lot of experience and so I can be of help, that's not a problem is it?

lotusauriel
06-23-2017, 07:00 PM
It kindof is, when all you're doing is promoting your own item, and not addressing the actual questions asked. I feel like you have taken over the thread, and just want to promote yourself. We all have our own experiences. And I was trying to answer a specific question about a specific product, that had nothing to do with you. Please back off.

Mermaid Alea
06-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Mahina Footpocket update: I went swimming with my friend and I think I have fixed my Mahina with the cutting I did to it. We still used socks with it, but I felt zero discomfort! It was so nice! I think we almost swam for 3 hours! The only issue I had was going back and forth between that and my Rapid. My friend would use the Mahina for a while and I would use the Rapid, then trading off was weird. The Mahina feels like nothing is on your feet compared to the Rapid which you definitely know is on, but I felt like I was getting better push from the Rapid where as I felt like I couldn't stay under as long with the Mahina. I do however think this is due to what others have been saying about the Mahina being a different fin - Floppier, makes you do the correct movement more, etc. I am more used to the Rapid so I am still trying to figure out the Mahina, but man it is great to have solved the footpocket issue.

Let me know if any of you want photos of how I altered the monofin for reference. :)

lotusauriel
06-23-2017, 07:54 PM
I am curious, if it isn't too much trouble. I'm glad you made it work for you.

Mermaid Alea
06-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Okay here are some pictures of how I altered the Mahina:
This is the top view showing how I slightly cut away at the top. I cut it to curve around the bone on the top of my foot because previously it was pressing down on that bone too much. I instantly felt a relief of pressure when I cut this area away then gave it a test swim.

Here are some side views to show how I cut a 'dip down' area in the straps. When I cut the top I wasn't too worried about cutting in the right location, but for the side I really made sure I was cutting away where my ankle is. The straps were just too close to my ankle bone which was causing rubbing.

Here are my feet in the monofin.

Then this photo shows my ankle that got a blister and it is almost fully healed now. Sorry for showing my wound haha but I think it helps show where exactly the rubbing was happening and how I trimmed the strap down to keep it away from this area of my foot.

Once again I used a sharpie to mark where to cut with a hot knife and after cutting I went back and smoothed out the edges. For the top I cut away in small increments. For the straps I just did it all in one cut. Also, I tried to be symmetrical. I'm sure I could have been more meticulous about it, but I just eyed it.

lotusauriel
06-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Cool. Thanks for sharing this!

Mermaid Momo
06-23-2017, 08:55 PM
The Mahina is made of Latex? I had been wanting one for a while but since I have large and wide feet I know I'll have to cut the pockets and if my skin coming into contact with the latex on the outside won't be bad, I know the latex on the inside will be.

Also I have the Rapid, I've used it in both of my tails now and I always assumed it was my technique that made swimming with it so choppy, like I was loosing momentum at my ankles and the fin wasn't translating it into enough propulsion

lotusauriel
06-23-2017, 09:02 PM
They promote it as natural rubber. Like the word natural diffuses any kind of reaction or danger. But natural rubber, no matter what you call it, IS latex. Also, sometimes, if you leave it alone, the surface curing makes it tolerable to use. But the second you cut into it, the bits and pieces that have not been smoothed get into your skin, and aggravate any sensitivity you may have. Not everyone does. And it might not be an issue for lots of people. But a latex allergy is a natural reaction for a natural product. It sucks. Because I LOVE those fins. I just think there should be more transparency in medical and industry terminology. Natural does NOT mean safe for everyone. And ANY product that claims to be so is lying.

lotusauriel
06-23-2017, 09:14 PM
All that said, I still have 2 of them. I use dive socks with them, and it's fine. I also use the largest size, because they ARE wider. The length of the pocket doesn't really matter. You have to make it not cut into your arches and sides of your feet. The latex does eventually stretch too. I worry that cutting the pockets too much will eventually make them too unstable. I don't have any other kind of monofin yet, because I read a LOT before deciding on the mahina. I am only considering the Luna because it is non allergenic for me. But if the propulsion isn't there, it won't work for me either. I came by my latex allergy honestly. I earned it! LOL. I used to make facial appliances for costumes out of liquid latex, on my actual skin. Most people are probably not going to be so affected by the mahina. That's probably why they don't really mention it.

mermaidelisabeth
06-24-2017, 10:15 PM
I'm having kind of the same problem with the feeling on my feet with the rapid monofin. Personally, it does feel pretty secure, but the ankle straps are the things not allowing me to bend/move as much? idk but maybe thats the problem?????

MerEmma
06-25-2017, 12:01 AM
Maybe it is the ankle straps. I noticed it was better the second time I used the fin, perhaps I'm just adjusting to the stiffness a little at a time. Also felt like I had much better energy/propulsion without my neoprene socks!

MermaidLiara
09-06-2017, 05:49 AM
If anyone here would like a recommendation for a very comfortable monofin, I have the Subgear Trygons M1 competitor and it is one of the most comfy competitors out there. The foot pockets are super soft and comfy. Swam around in it for an hour and I had NO discomfort whatsoever. No pain, no blisters, nothing. Great propulsion as well.

I also like my hydra monofin a lot, never gave me any discomfort either.

I once tried a finis competitor, couldn't stand the feeling after only five minutes. But in hindsight it was a bit too snug for me.