PDA

View Full Version : Merserch for a Profession Mermaid!

Blondie
03-03-2012, 01:02 AM
The Dive Bar in Sacramento, California is hosting a casting event for new mermaids for their aqua-bar from March 8th and10th.
I stumbled across this and as a Floridian (And being 18, you need to be 21 to apply) I thought the best thing I could do is to pass this along to the other Mermaids!

Here's their link! Good luck out there!
http://divebarsacramento.com/

mermaidondine
03-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Oh my gosh! I've been wondering when Dive Bar would be interviewing/auditioning new mermaids! There was nothing on the facebook about it, so thank you for posting this, Blondie--I never would have seen it otherwise :D

Princess Kae-Leah
03-03-2012, 01:26 AM
Too bad they're only looking for swimming mermaids! :(

Blondie
03-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Oh my gosh! I've been wondering when Dive Bar would be interviewing/auditioning new mermaids! There was nothing on the facebook about it, so thank you for posting this, Blondie--I never would have seen it otherwise :D
I'm sure they keep things like this hush hush. :D I'm glad I had a random urge to look at their website. Are you going to tryout?!

Too bad they're only looking for swimming mermaids! :(
And I'm sorry Kae-Leah :( There will be a day someone needs a terramaid!

mermaidondine
03-03-2012, 03:39 AM
I'm sure they keep things like this hush hush. :D I'm glad I had a random urge to look at their website. Are you going to tryout?!

I can understand why! I remember when they first opened and they put out a casting on craigslist and the news and I think they got a really, really big response. I didn't hear about auditions until it was too late--plus, I wasn't of age yet :( But I am now! Lol!

I think I am! Although I am a little nervous/worried since I don't have any professional mermaiding or real professional swimming experience. So here's hoping my brief athletic background and recreational swimming/hobbyist mermaiding will be enough experience to get my "fins in the tank" so to speak :) LOL

Mermaid Sirena
03-03-2012, 08:35 AM
If I lived in Cali (ans was 21) or was done with school and could fly out there for a vaca/audition I would in heart beat. I would move cross country if I got a job there (or weeki wachee) :) Still I will work there someday :)

Thank you for posting this!

Blondie
03-03-2012, 04:44 PM
I can understand why! I remember when they first opened and they put out a casting on craigslist and the news and I think they got a really, really big response. I didn't hear about auditions until it was too late--plus, I wasn't of age yet :( But I am now! Lol!

I think I am! Although I am a little nervous/worried since I don't have any professional mermaiding or real professional swimming experience. So here's hoping my brief athletic background and recreational swimming/hobbyist mermaiding will be enough experience to get my "fins in the tank" so to speak :) LOL

I think if you have a strong history of swimming they'll take that under consideration for "mermaiding". I think that anyone who can swim well can be a mermaid. I mean when I first made my own monofin, I had absolutely no problem learning how to dolphin kick and and do flips. I think that they just want to weed out weak swimmers or swimmers that don't have any desire to learn more. Keep me updated though! I would love to know how your interview goes!!

mermaidondine
03-05-2012, 12:04 AM
I think if you have a strong history of swimming they'll take that under consideration for "mermaiding". I think that anyone who can swim well can be a mermaid. I mean when I first made my own monofin, I had absolutely no problem learning how to dolphin kick and and do flips. I think that they just want to weed out weak swimmers or swimmers that don't have any desire to learn more. Keep me updated though! I would love to know how your interview goes!!

I definitely hope so! It would be such a dream come true to work/swim for them :) I most certainly will keep you updated! I'm so excited, I was lucky enough to get Saturday off--not to mention the fact that interviews are the same night as the premiere of Pirates 4 on Starz! Lol! I'm hoping that's a good sign? XD :D Now to take a new head shot and put together a new resume!

Odette
03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
yes! go for it, ondine! i believe in you.

Gem Stone
03-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Good luck! Or is it bad to say that? Or is that just with acting? Or does this count? Never mind. Break a tail! ( not literally, just adding a Jer twist on break a leg!)

mermaidondine
03-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Tonight's the big night! I'm so nervous/excited... Thanks you both I really, really appreciate the support :-)

Keep your webbed fingers crossed for me!!! Haha!

Mermaid Lorelei
03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
You'll do great Ondine!

New York Mermaid
03-10-2012, 02:43 PM
*Crossing my fingers and fins for you Ondine!!

SweeteSiren
03-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Princess Kae-Leah
03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I posted on their FB page how I truly am a mermaid at heart but cannot swim due to health issues, hoping it would make them reconsider their policy of only hiring swimming mers.

Blondie
03-11-2012, 12:00 AM
How did it go!?!?! :DD TELL US TELL US!!

mermaidondine
03-11-2012, 03:05 PM
The interview went well last night. I met with Ellen and (I believe) Annie who were both super nice, and even more gorgeous in person! They told me that call backs are going to be around the end of next week--so I'm praying that I get a phone call :-)

Blondie
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Where there a lot of people there? What did they make you do/ ask you?

SireniaSolaris
03-11-2012, 10:44 PM
oooo, u gotta keep us updated. We're all rooting for you :)

mermaidondine
03-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Where there a lot of people there? What did they make you do/ ask you?

No, there weren't a lot of people there trying out that I saw, but I think they were interviewing one other girl when I walked in. I went in at about 4:30 so it was still pretty early though--I imagine they may have had more people come in as the night went on...

They asked me mostly about my background, particularly my swimming experience, and I also let them know that I had plans to start my own business mermaiding during the summer for children's birthdays/family events and the like. They seemed pretty happy to hear that I would have my own tail soon :-)

oooo, u gotta keep us updated. We're all rooting for you :)

I definitely will! I really appreciate all the support from you guys. It seriously means a lot to me :-D

Sea Pearl
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
You must keep us updated!! Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Gem Stone
03-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Anything happen yet??? :D

mermaidondine
03-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Looks like I won't be getting a call back, which I understand, but I'm still really sad... I wanted that job so badly! Or at least a call back, y'know? Pretty disappointed in myself ={

Blondie
03-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Ughhh >< No don't say that.... It's a competitive market. When did they say they would call you back by?

-Annwyn-
03-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Even if you don't get the job Ondine, at least you got an interview - something every other mermaid would fall over each other to get! Good on you for trying, and I hope they call you!

Prince Calypso
03-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Carp!!!!!!
i'm 21, and live in bakersfeild, like not far from sac at all!!!
and i just get this thread after it's too late!!!
Carp!!!!!
i guess it's for the best though. don't really have my tail together yet and could use a little more practice swimming

mermaidondine
03-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm definitely very grateful that I got the opportunity for an open interview. I can only imagine how many other mers turned out! Who knows, maybe they'll need another mermaid sometime down the line and have another audition... Until then, I will "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." Haha :-)

EDIT: Oh goodness! I just saw an update on the DB Mermaids facebook saying that they've been moving through resumes kind of slowly (likely due to the big weekend we just had--Sacramento St. Patty's day/weekend parade, and the filming they did for a movie/video at the bar) and that they're still making phone calls! So there's still hope! Ahhh! I'm keeping my fingers crossed :-D

SireniaSolaris
03-18-2012, 05:52 PM
:D Oh good! Keeping my fins crossed for you as well :)

Blondie
03-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Good luck girly!

Gem Stone
03-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Keeping my fins crossed as well! And I'm glad you noticed that on the fb page.

Anything new?

mermaidondine
03-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Thank you, everyone! No word yet... Still keeping my fingers crossed! :-)

mermaidondine
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
GUESS WHO JUST GOT A CALL BACK FOR NEXT THURSDAY!!! :D :D :D

Ahhh! I'm so excited! I can't believe it!

Mermaid Sirena
03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
That is so exciting!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

AniaR
03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
congraaaats

mermaidondine
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Thank you, Sirena, Raina! I was so worried I hadn't heard anything back... I guess I just need to be more patient! LOL! Thank you guys for all the support so far, it means a lot to me =)

P.S. You guys both have accomplished so much in the community so far, so any advice or words of wisdom that either of you ladies might have for my second interview would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully I can follow in your fin-steps (or would that be fin-strokes? Lol) Hehe!

SweeteSiren
03-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Yaaayyy!! Congratulations!

Mermaid Lorelei
03-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Congratulations! That's awesome news!

Mermaid Sirena
03-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Oh goodness I wouldn't say I've accomplished anything yet I just post a lot and try to have my fin in everything ^_^ For the second interview be relaxed and confident. You are going to get this job and you know it, but stay humble and gracious.

mermaidondine
03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks you guys! Ahh! My stomach is like, in knots, because I'm so excited! Lol! :-D

Oh goodness I wouldn't say I've accomplished anything yet I just post a lot and try to have my fin in everything ^_^ For the second interview be relaxed and confident. You are going to get this job and you know it, but stay humble and gracious.

I will definitely take those words to heart! I'm just so thankful that I found the Network and all of you fellow mers, because I really did feel alone there for a while... Its just very cool to have you guys here, to share dreams together and support one another. Its an awesome thing :-)

happyguava
03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! :D

Gem Stone
03-21-2012, 06:54 PM
I think you'll do awesome as long you are yourself. Good luck!

ShyMer
03-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Ohmygosh Yaaaaaaay! So happy for you!

Sea Pearl
03-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Oh my god that's great new! :D

Demi
03-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Wow, thats so awsome! Good luck!! :D

SireniaSolaris
03-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Congrats! Good luck today! I'm sure you can do it! Sirena's words are right on. That kind of attitude in interviews has always gotten me far. :cool:

mermaidondine
03-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Thank you guys! I'm super excited for Thursday--it could not come any quicker, that's for sure! Lol! I'll keep you all posted on how it goes down :-D

malinghi
03-27-2012, 11:41 PM
I just saw some pictures on Seatails about some dive bar mermaids, and there was a merman. I didn't know they hired guys.

Blondie
03-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Almost there! :D

ShyMer
03-28-2012, 07:52 AM
What time tomorrow is your interview? Wanna be thinking of you when it's happening <3

Gem Stone
03-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Good luck!

Odette
03-29-2012, 04:27 PM
oh, its thursday!i hope your excited.you got this.confidence is key.you know what your doing.i really hope this happens for ya! Go, Ondine!! ^^

mermaidondine
03-30-2012, 03:27 PM
So last night were the call backs and it was a blast! They had about 20 potential DB Mermaids there (although a few didn't show up, including two mermen) and we got to see the tank upstairs and make-up/tail dressing room, which had all these awesome tutorials on the different ways they do their makeup on the walls. It was really, really cool! Then we got to watch the newest mermaid, Melyssa's debut in the tank (she did BEAUTIFULLY), and the dueling pianos. It was awesome sitting down and getting to know Rachel and Tuesday and Aimee and everyone--they are so nice!--and then just partying and having a good time :-)

The next round is round 3 and they're going to be narrowing it down to like, 10 girls (if I remember correctly) and have us come in during the morning/closed hours, swim in the tank for them and show 'em what we can do. I thought it was going to be awhile before we heard back for that round, but...I JUST GOT THE CALL!!! So I'll be in the tank Wednesday and Thursday morning!!

This is the last round so, I'm going to be practicing my fins off in the pool for the next week hahaha :-D

Kanti
03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
That's so awesome :'D
Do you have any idea how much you'll be getting paid to do that? It seems like such an awesome
job! I would love to go see the tank x___x
I'm super jelly.
Good luck!! I hope you take a billion pictures of yourself performing~

Do you have a tail, btw? Or are they renting one out to you, or are you ordering one? Etc.

mermaidondine
03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm beyond happy right now. I'm also pretty sick to my stomach from the excitement of Annie's phone call hahaha Nah, I didn't ask about the pay rate--I do know that its based on an hourly wage, and you get tips. (The tips likely come from performing with the dueling pianos.) I didn't ask about exact figures though, just because I didn't want them to get the wrong impression of me or something, y'know? Because when it comes right down to it, I would swim for them for free! Haha!

Oh man. The tank is gorgeous! And it was really cool to see the "less glamorous" side of the tank (how it works, behind-the-scenes stuff) as Rachel put it haha I will definitely try to get pictures! I'll see if one of the other girls will take some of me on my phone while I'm up there if I can :-)

Well they just want to get a basic feel for how we move in the water on our own, so we were asked just to wear our swimsuits for the water try-out. I have a fabric tail that I've been working on (I don't have a mono though), that I might bring with me just in case haha (I think I was the only mer-search contestant who mermaids as a hobby...) But we actually don't have to have our own realistic tails. If I'm not mistaken, one of things they were looking for in potential mermaids is that we'd be able to fit their tails. I know some of the girls have bought their own silicone ones for their own personal use in the tank, but they have a few latex ones in various sizes to fit a few different sizes/body types. I do plan on ordering one from Mermaid Parties in the next two weeks when I get paid though!

I think they mentioned something about doing a quick performance for patrons on one of the nights after we've trained with the girls. Then the audience gets to cheer for their favorites, which they'll take into consideration when they choose their final girl(s), which I'm actually under the impression they may end up taking on more than one, which is really exciting! :-D

Mermaid Lorelei
03-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Oh wow! Ondine, that's amazing!

Blondie
03-30-2012, 11:30 PM
AHHHHHHH!!!!!! I KNEWWWW YOU'D DO ITTTT!!!! :D

I just knew it! I found it extremely hard to believe that they wouldn't consider you since you have such a passion for mermaids! I knew they'd find something in you! Ah!!! Ondine that's just GREAT! I'm so ecstatic right now!! You're going to do lovely in round three! Maybe more people will slip out too? That'll even narrow it down more! Swim swim swim!! We're all so proud of you!!!

mermaidondine
03-31-2012, 02:50 AM
Thank you! I just appreciate all the support and well wishes during this process. Its meant a lot! And its definitely helped me through it. I just hope I won't let any of you (or myself) down! I'm gonna swim my fins off for them on Wednesday and Thursday--not only for me, but for the MerNetwork too! Hehe :-D

Mermaid Sirena
04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! That is so wonderful! We are all rooting for you and I'm confident in your abilities to wow them!

mermaidondine
04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm very nervous about tomorrow--I hope I look as graceful as I feel in the water! Lol! And not like a floppy fish hahaha I just got back from the gym though and had a practice session in the heated pool there, so hopefully that helps some XD

Blondie
04-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Just be one with the water. Graceful, fluid, flexible. Stay calm and alluring like all mermaids :) You're going to do great! This is so exciting!

mermaidondine
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Oh my gosh! Today was SOOOO much fun! We did some basic stuff this afternoon and then we'll be doing some more in-depth movement training tomorrow morning and I absolutely can't wait :) Swimming in that tank was just the most amazing feeling and it made me realize how close I to making this dream a reality! I hope I make it through tomorrow okay and get the final call back for the "American Idol" night in April--I guess that will be the night that they have patrons vote on who their favorite mermaids are. AND its my understanding now that they will be taking a few mermaids, not just one like I originally thought :D

Kanti
04-04-2012, 08:18 PM
That's super exciting :'D
How many people are still there? Have they even let anyone off yet?
Eeee I hope you make it that'd be super exciting

mermaidondine
04-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Well, there were 10 people today, cut down from 15-20 from the second interview. They said depending, they may keep all of us or they may cut a few more for the big night, but I'm hoping I make it no matter! Lol! I may know more tomorrow :-)

Thank you! :-D

Blondie
04-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Yaaaayyy Ondine!! :D How big is the tank? Are there lots of fish in it? Was it cold? Are you wearing one of their tails for the "American Idol" night? Hehe!

Mermaid Sirena
04-04-2012, 09:41 PM
That is wonderful and I second all of iblondie's question :)

Raina Matthews
04-04-2012, 10:19 PM
let us know if you do make it through to the finals :). if they do have a public vote, I'll have to drive down there and vote for you :) been wanting to go since I heard it was open, but have yet to get there. a 25 minute drive is hardly a reasonable excuse :)

Sea Pearl
04-04-2012, 11:58 PM
That's wonderful news Ondine! Keep us all posted :D

SireniaSolaris
04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Terrific!! I'm excited just from reading your excitement! This is fantastic news!! U got this, girlie :)

mermaidondine
04-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Thank you so much, everyone! I'm all atwitter with excitement and anticipation! I feel like words can't even describe how much I want the job, or even just a phone call back for the big night! LOL!

Yaaaayyy Ondine!! :D How big is the tank? Are there lots of fish in it? Was it cold? Are you wearing one of their tails for the "American Idol" night? Hehe!

The tank is 40ft long and holds 7500 gallons of water! Its so crazy! And yes, there are LOTS of awesome fishy friends to swim with. I can't remember exactly, but I think Rachel and Aimee said there were probably about 13 different species of fish in it. Surprisingly its not very cold, at least not during the two days I got in. They usually keep it at about 78 degrees to be comfortable for the fish, but it can be colder than that depending. It was like bathwater yesterday, but it was even warmer today--it was quite wonderful actually! And it helps to take a really cold shower there backstage (or should I say back-tank? LOL), because when you get in the water it will feel warmer than it actually is :) On the American Idol Night we WILL get to wear the tails too! Which I'm so excited for. I hope I make it there so I can swim in one! LOL!

let us know if you do make it through to the finals :). if they do have a public vote, I'll have to drive down there and vote for you :) been wanting to go since I heard it was open, but have yet to get there. a 25 minute drive is hardly a reasonable excuse :)

Oh my gosh, that would be so awesome! I'd love to have another Northern Cali mer there to support me! That would mean so much :D I will definitely keep everyone posted about the American Idol Night. They said we should expect phone calls, whether we make it or not, in the next couple of days!

And if I don't make it, I say we have our own mini MerNetwork meet-up and go and cheer the others on that night :)

EDIT: I should have some video footage of our practice/training session later this week/weekend, so I'll be sure to share those when I get them! ^^

Mermaid Sirena
04-06-2012, 08:51 AM
First off hold carp that's a HUGE tank! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see some video footage!

mermaidondine
04-06-2012, 03:11 PM
First off hold carp that's a HUGE tank! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see some video footage!

I know right! And it doesn't look that big when you're down on the floor looking up at it, but when you get in its like a mind-warp! I love it :D

BUUUT I just got the call! So I'm heading to the American Idol night!!! :)

Mermaid Sirena
04-06-2012, 03:29 PM
THAT IS AWESOME!!! I knew you could do it! :) Your going to go far!

ShyMer
04-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Yaaay so happy you're staying on!

Sea Pearl
04-06-2012, 06:52 PM
That's wonderful you got the call back! It's always so nice to see people achieving their dreams.

happyguava
04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Eeeeee that's so exciting!!! Congratulations :D

SireniaSolaris
04-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Yay!!! So so soooooo exciting!!! Congrats!!! Aw, I want to make plans to go to a friend's house with cable so I can watch you :)

Knew you could do it! I can't wait to see the video footage you share! Good job! <3

Mermaid Marissa
05-22-2012, 12:24 AM
can't wait to see the video :D

Mermaid Saphira
06-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Eeeeee! How xiting Ondine! I hope you get the job! That would be so wonderful! Good Luck!!! *crosses tail fin* ;)

Mermaid Harmony
10-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Woah woah woah! You left us hanging! What happened? How did it go!? Did you get the job? How was american idol night?

Blondie
10-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Ondine had messaged me back, she said it was more a popularity contest then a real contest so she did not get it. :violin: Boooo....