PDA

View Full Version : Glow In The Dark Tail: Paint or Fabric? ...etc.

Sea~Phoenix Savannah
06-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone!

I have a question for those who have made (and swam in) glow in the dark tails. I'd love to make a glow in the dark fabric tail with small-large dots (as accents) and some short lines on the body, fluke and fins; however I'm unsure of what would be the best medium between fabric or fabric paint. I've picked out my chosen fabric and paint (which does say it's waterproof), I'd just love more opinions on the matter and the results of your chosen medium. Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

Also this same tail would have a dorsal fin, which would allow me to avoid side seams by just having one seam running down the back, but how would I sew it to hide the seam in the back? And how would I cut/sew it to have it fit as well as a tail with two seams?
If I do use the back seam method how would I sew side fins?
Is there a way to stiffen fabric so that it's not too floppy on land but also isn't so stiff it won't bend/ if it does leaves a fold?

So many questions... sorry about that, but thanks again!

Aurelian
06-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I pretty sure dorsal fins are the fins that run down your back, so it would probably hide the back seam, not the side ones. As for hiding the other seams, I know some people like to add fins, and people who paint their tails usually use the paint to help hide them. Other people just use fewer seams. The most common pattern is to have two pieces, one for the front and one for the back, resulting in two seams. I know that some other people, especially those working with spandex tails, have one large piece that they pin in a sort of cone shape with the seam on the back, trying it on as the go to make sure the measurements are right.

Sea~Phoenix Savannah
06-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Aurora Celestia, thanks for the sewing and painting help! Yes dorsal fins do run down the back and that's what I'll do since I'll be making the tail with only 1 seam (back seam) which will be partially hidden by the fin. I didn't want two seams for this tail so the info you gave about the cone method really helps. Thanks again!

To all others viewing the thread I've pretty much decided on all the technical factors for this tail, I just need to get some money and start designing!