PDA

View Full Version : Holographic Spandex & Spandex with Metallic Foil or Paint

Mermaid Mako
03-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Greetings! I'm new here to MerNetwork, and I have a couple questions about fabric choices and wondered if anyone could relate their experiences. I'm blown away by what I've seen posted, and I humbly beseech your guidance. :$

I want to make a simple tail, more of less following Sasha's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtwnOQg_KH8 But I want to add some flair of my own design in the details with accent fabric and such.

I went to Joann's, expecting them to have a nice selection of swimwear fabrics since summer is right around the corner, and wow! They really don't have much. I found a Youtube video of a girl shopping for tail fabric there and she had a much better selection, but that could have been a few years ago back when Joann's wasn't so much like Michael's. So I searched the internet and came across this "shattered glass hologram" spandex in many different colors: http://www.spandexhouse.com/pictures.php?pId=3519 and also this "Avatar" type here with foil: http://www.spandexhouse.com/pictures.php?pId=3264 . I can't seem to find this being sold as "swim wear" fabric but since the stuff is probably plastic-y on the outside I cant imagine it would fade very fast. Plus I think the shattered glass is what Shasha used.:confused:

Has anyone ever used these before? Has the shiny stuff peeled off? I'm thinking of getting swatches and zip-tying them to something in the pool and then something off the dock to test how well they last in chlorine and salt water after a few days of soaking. Might be a fun "science" project.:p

Mermaid Mako
03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
**MODERATOR: Posted this before I saw the Tail Making thread, since I don't think users can move threads, unless I'm mistaken, could you please move it to tail making? Thanks in advance. Typical newbie move, sorry. :$

SweeteSiren
03-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I got started because of that video too! :D
The foil probably won't peel, but it will rub off gradually where it comes into contact with rough surfaces (like the side of a pool). The hard edges of the fin inside will also cause that to happen. Make sure that the actual fabric under the foil is the same color and it shouldn't be too noticeable. I made the mistake of choosing blue foil over black fabric, and as it's wearing off, it's turning gray.
The site should tell you what materials each fabric is made of & how well it will hold up in chlorine, etc. You can also find durability information here: http://www.agonswim.com/fabrics/fabricInformationGuide.cfm
Good luck on your project & welcome to the neighborhood!

mermaidondine
03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
I was running into the same problem when I was looking for fabrics. I had originally planned to use the "Avatar" fabric from Spandex House as well, but because I couldn't decided between three of the colors (gold on black, gold on orange, and gold on gold) I decided to order samples--and I'm very glad that I did! They actually looked a bit different in person than they did in the photographs on the website, but I was more disappointed in the fact that when I stretched the fabric even the slightest; the foil would crack and come up from the fabric. That alone made me decide against using it just because I couldn't stand the thought of wearing a tail that would look like it had cracks/runs all over it and that could potentially lose all the foil with just a few swims =/

Mermaid Photine
03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Would diver's spray work on a material such as this? Like, maybe if it were stretched to the proper shape when sprayed? Has anyone tried it?

Mermaid Mako
03-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the responses and link SweeteSiren and mermaidondine!

I'm so glad that you warned me about the base color under the foil and also the "Avatar" spandex, I wondered if the "flecks" would come off because they looked like they were separate pieces adhered to the fabric, whereas the "shattered glass" is a uniform coat of foil.

MermaidPandorah, I dunno about the diver's spray, I'm interested to find out though...I'd be afraid that the coating on the fabric that covers the foil would get messed up by spraying chemicals on it-like how clothing with metallic paint designs can get ruined or dulled by hairspray. I guess it would depend on what's in that stuff. :/

Mermaid Saphira
08-19-2012, 01:21 PM
the second kind of materil you reffered to as "Avatar" like. DO NOT USE IT! It cracks when it is stretched and is extremely difficult to work with.