PDA

View Full Version : ALEX tail: Sew then paint, or paint then sew?

neonmermaid
03-03-2012, 09:20 PM
My ALEX tail is completely cured. I just need to know if I should paint it THEN sew it, or sew it THEN paint it.

Also...what's the best way to paint?? What did you use to paint yours?

Thanks! :)

Mermaid Star
03-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I think other Tailmakers have painted and then sewn to that there aren't any problems getting in the creases.

Some people use brushes to paint, others use and airbrush. Or both. It depends on what tools you have available and how good you are at blending (if you are using more than one color). I personally haven't made it to the painting stage yet. so I can't help you with what has worked for me just yet. But don't forget to infuse your paint with the Alex so it sticks! :) Can't wait to see it complete! :)

Mermaid Jewel
03-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Most people paint then sew (Though it really doesn't matter) but if you want do some kind of design that wraps around the edges (koi, sometimes shading it darker or whatever) then probably sew first. Or paint the base color then do any special colors later? It really doesn't matter though :)

I know a lot of people use Createx paints. I used a silk screen paint to paint my neoprene but it's very similar to createx paint in consistency and such, so probably something similar to that would work.

Good luck!