PDA

View Full Version : Public pool and monofin

lasserine
03-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Tomorrow , or today i'm going to swim for the first time in a monofin. How are people around you while swimming in one? They have seperate lanes for lap swimming and fins for people to use.

Aradia
03-04-2012, 03:22 AM
The reactions I have gotten have either been concern for my safety (because my legs are bound together) and the safety for other people in the public pool. You just need to try and avoid hitting someone with your monofin because it certainly can hurt :P
So yeah, just go in an empty lane and try not to hit anyone... you'll be fine :D

lasserine
03-04-2012, 02:46 PM
They were fine at the pool. Just a few people looking. I tried to stay away from people. Wow was it fun!

Where should the bottom of the foot rest in the monofin? The sides of my feet do hurt, and a little skin came up. I did order some booties with the monofin.

green52
03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I've found that reactions are best if you don't behave like its a big deal. Its just a piece of swimming gear, so most people are either serious swimmers who've seen such things before, or are curious and often interested in trying it.

I'm not expert, but I think the booties will make a world of difference. If the pockets have no heals, just heal straps, they are usually made for use with booties, I think. I've used it both ways, and booties are much better.

lasserine
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
I have http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3969.htm Might wear thick socks next time. Should of gotten booties instead, since they are thicker.

Mermaid Photine
03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I got a lot of questions, mostly from adults. The kids told me I was a mermaid (why, yes I am ^_^) and I took that as a compliment. The adults wanted to know how I could swim with my feet together, I answered it was how I normally swim, like a dolphin. I treated it as a normal piece of swimming gear- It's like scuba fins, only two put together. Some of the kids wanted to try it, but for the most part I did not let them, in part because it was my fin and I am posessive of my things, but also because there is always the chance that they shall decide to do something moronic and I or the pool'll get sued. My feet did eventually become unhappy with me for swimming with the monofin so much, ad the foot strap disintegrated, but both of those things weren't too big of a problem. Have fun. :)

AniaR
03-04-2012, 06:00 PM
if you have performers insurance which can be really cheap the safety thing (which is more liability than safety) isnt an issue. But personally, I have never had an issue in a public pool. Last year I saved two kids from drowning. Not only was I in my tail, but you guys know Im a karp swimmer, and I got to them BEFORE the lifeguard jumped in. Problem was I was so in shock when I got them out I had a really hard time letting go of them for the life guard to take them! 1 little kid just convinced the other kid if he jumped in he'd teach him to swim. So kid jumps in, freaks out and clings to other kid, both kids freaking out and start sinking lol

lasserine
03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Where should your foot rest in a finis competitor monofin? Before or after the holes.

AniaR
03-04-2012, 07:04 PM
what do you mean by holes?

lasserine
03-04-2012, 07:15 PM
The 2 holes on the foot pocket.

http://i.imgur.com/UiN3Yl.jpg (http://imgur.com/UiN3Y) Each place where you put your feet has 2 holes.

Maple
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
The holes come around my toes. If I really motor, my toes pop through! I feels really weird!

lasserine
03-09-2012, 12:27 AM
The holes stop just before my toes.

Today while swimming in the monofin, the sides of my feet were starting to get cramped.

Maple
03-11-2012, 04:35 PM
My feet cramp in my Competitor as well. However, I honestly think I'll get used to it. My feet used to cramp in my Rapid as well, and I swam so much in it that eventually my feet just stopped cramping.
I was swimming in the Competitor a week or so ago, and my feet started to ache. I just kept on swimming and eventually the cramps ended and it was fine again! For me, I think it's just my feet getting used to the pressure when I undulate. It's a stiff fin, way stiffer than the Rapid!

nakske
03-13-2012, 08:33 AM
My feet cramp in my Competitor as well.

Have you considered performing specific stretching exercises for your feet? You can find lots of example videos on the internet or you can find a link on The ultimate guide to choosing a monofin (http://www.finswimmingbay.com/monofin-guide).