PDA

View Full Version : sewing lycra and other swim fabrics

Mermaid Momo
03-04-2012, 04:30 PM
hi there! i'll be giving those fabric tail makers a few tips to make your tails last a bit longer.

1.thread
some stores sell a stretchy type of thread that sorta like elastic. since fabric tails need to be stretchy, most seams rip because they aren't capable of stretching so stretch thread will help. If you can't find stretch thread, you should use a heavy duty thread that isn't likely to break when stretched such as quilting thread.Remember,your thread should be the same color as you fabric or a tid bit lighter.

2. stitches
fabric tails rip at the seams a lot because most people use a straight stitch. a zig zag stitch, since it can stretch is a better choice and an overlock machine or a serger would make the seams almost impossible to rip.important:when sewing your seam, make sure you have enough seam allowance. without seam allowance, you'll be able to see you stitches when you flip your tail. also, always sew with the right sides of the fabric on the inside/facing each other and the wrong sides on the outside.

3.hiding monofin
since swim fabric is thick, you can usually see a monofin through the wet fluke. so you could put a thicker piece of fabric such as neoprin or a piece of neoprene in the fluke so that the monofin won't be seen through the fabric.remember: when you sew your fluke, leave one side open to put your monofin in through.(you can leave the bottom open too.)

4.closing the fluke:
there are alot of ways you can close the part of the fluke where you put your monofin through (i'll just call it the monofin pouch) you can use snap clasps, velcro, a zipper, buttons and a lot of other techiniques.

hope you found this very useful and post any questions you may have and i'll try to get back to you.♥

Mermaid Photine
03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Good information, dragger! I'll add some of mine, too!

-I've never used a stretchy thread, but I recomend a polyester or nylon or some other man-made kind of thread that isn't apt to rot when in contact with water and pool chemicals.

-Use a ball point needle when sewing any stretchy fabrics. Otherwise, it's much more difficult to sew an it tends to bunch up and kill my machine.

-Don't trust stick-on velco! It's a lie! Sew it on and forgo problems

-If you have a darkish coloured tail, get thread the same or a tad darker instead of lighter.

-You are sewing with a stretch fabric. It stretches. When it gets wet, it'll stretch some more. Make sure your tail fits well, and isn't too baggy. If you need to, add elastic or a drawstring or an elastic drawstring at the top to be safe. It can be hidden easily with a net belt.

-When you start a seam, go forwards about 1cm and then reverse for that same cm, then sew as normal. When you finish, do the same. This keeps your stitches from unraveling.

:)

ShyMer
03-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Oh, a ball point needle? That would explain my battle with the machine -_-

Mermaid Photine
03-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah. When I get the machine (after my grandmother's broke), I didn't know about the different sorts of needles. I nearly swore off sewing any stretch fabrics ever because of the problems it caused. xD

spottedcatfish
08-09-2012, 05:05 AM
I've head that stretch needles work well with lycra material too. Any comments / opinions on this?

Tasha Mermaid
01-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Good point on the ball point needles :) although you CAN sew stretch fabrics with a normal needle providing you know how :) (i have done it numerous times in my dog dresses) tip is to make sure the material is stretched (but don't try to rip it apart) and stitched slowly bit by bit stretching one a bit at a time (but NOT enough to take the elastane out of the material), this allows it to have the same stretch it normally has, its tedious and time consuming so i would not recommend it, but seeming my dog clothes are small it didn't matter as much. Will definitely be stocking up on ball points for the tails i plan to make for myself :)
By the way this is a great thread :D

Mermaid Star
01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks for making this thread!

Here are some of my pointers.

-When Choosing a stretch fabric, it is best to choose a 4 way stretch fabric to make your tail with. If you really like a fabric but it is only a 2 way stretch, it can still be sued but it will tend to not be as durable (at least in my experience) Just make sure that if you are using a 2 way stretch fabric that the fabric is stretching width wise to be sure to keep the tail nice and tight rather than long ways, which will do you no good.

- Cut your tail smaller than you think. I usually cut my tail out to my exact measurements and then take it in another inch or so when sewing. (.5 inch on either side) This way the tail is nice and tight and requires no elastic. Just tuck the top of the tail into your swim bottoms, or let it lay flat on your skin.

-If your monofin is flexable see if you can roll it up. If you can, you can make your tail like I do and just insert your monofin through the waist and ankle portion of your tail. so that the whole tail can be sewn together. If this is possible for you, you can make a monofin pocket as well for your self so you dont have your monofin loose in your fluke. This way there is no bubbling or bagginess. Here is an example of what I am talking about with the monofin pocket. (taken from my ebay)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Black-Swimmable-Mermaid-Tail-Fabric-Skin-/00/s/NDgyWDcxMQ==/$T2eC16hHJH8E9qSEYO+%29BQOCYid%29lg~~60_3.JPG

mermaidtigris
01-22-2014, 07:34 AM
For monofins in spandex tails I make an extra fin pocket out of super stretchey spandex and leave little holes at the end so the water can flow through. :)