PDA

View Full Version : When You're Not A Mer....

Artisankatie
03-07-2012, 01:10 AM
What are you when you're human? Are you a student? Have a totally cool/boring job?

I suppose I should go first :P

My name is Katie (as you could probably tell), and I'm primarily a uni student. I've discovered I'm not made for the general workforce (having tried both sit down jobs and more active jobs, my back just hates work! And my brain gets too hungry.), so I'm devoting my life to academia. My highest qualification at the moment is the Honours degree of Bachelor of Arts. If you hear jokes about Arts degrees not being useful, they're totally true (unless you're REALLY lucky). But if you need advice on historical costume (especially 14th century), ask away! To go with that, I put my research into practice and so I have more costumes than real people clothes. I have sort of a small following with costuming that makes me a little pocket money ;)

My main academic passion though, is science. I just love learning how things work! At the moment I'm in the first year of a Bachelor of Science, and I hope to go on to a Doctorate in good time. I'm studying Geoscience and Biology at the moment, I expect to do a double major in Geoscience and hopefully work with the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation) when I'm done, making synthetic rocks, or working at a mine (big money in mining in Australia!), or as a paleontologist! Though most likely I'll end up tutoring at university :P

So I hope that wasn't too boring, and I'm curious about what all you other merpeople get up to minus the mer!

Princess Kae-Leah
03-07-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm a writer and doll collector

Mermaasai
03-07-2012, 01:23 AM
oOoOoO neat Katie! We are made of similar stuff you and I.

Well here I am, My name is Ndola, I have an associates degree in applied sciences.
I do some freelance commission art work from time to time (mostly watercolors or acrylics)
I was a full time fine dining chef until fairly recently when my restaurant had cut backs.
So now I am living at home with my hubby, sharing a house with his brother and two other people.
I cook and clean and am the general house mom (no kids though)

Really I've held every job imaginable from cleaning and cooking, sales and computers, to horse training, to life gaurd etc etc...
I'm WAY too ADD.
Lately I've been encouraged to start a small business with my art since its what I'm best at
and while I hate the idea of being a starving artist, the reality is that this would be the time
to try, since I'm able to stay home so much and have some extra income to work with.

I'm hoping to open an etsy shop shortly with mainly tshirts and the like with fun quotes, memes, and of course commissioned art pieces available.

So thats where I am at the moment!

I have lots of free time and mermaiding is just a HUGE bucket of funsauce that I am immersing myself into!

New York Mermaid
03-07-2012, 02:53 AM
I wish you all well on all your future goals :) its nice to know many merfolks on here have high goals in their life

My Human NickName is Rose,

I have a degree in Sociology and (minor in photography). I do part time in animal rescue & part time as a personal assistant/ Office Leader.. In my off time I like to Sculpt, Draw, Paint, Read, do Photography & Videography, I also run a Cetacean forum and Play Electric Guitar, I also Love to Decorate for birthday parties, christmas and other events which always need some sparkle.

I'm also a "mom" 3 birds and am an avid Aquarist, I also have one VERY understanding husband who knows I love animals and will turn the other cheek and hold his tongue if i come home with a rescued parrot or other bird (he even helps out with feeding times and night watch if need be). And I collect Stuffed marine animals ( i have superpods of orcas and dolphins of many species) I also take time out to swim with i can. (i know i take time somewhere in there to breathe)

*As of recently: Im working on creating plans for a future marine mammal rehab center, I also would love to start my own decorating/ party hosting business. But I figure whatever i do will be a step towards a goal i want in the future. I figure being a mermaid and working with children, and educating them about animals would be a great way to start myself in knowing what i want to do.

Hey I can be an Marine Animal Rehabilitating/ Party Planning / Mermaid! ( I am so sorry if i bored you all..I love to share everything- and Im high on chocolate..lol)

happyguava
03-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Great idea, Katie :)

My name's Shelley. Music is the main thing in my life - I'm currently in my fourth year of a Bachelor of Music, and I want to go on to do Masters in Music Therapy so I can be a music therapist.

I work as an instrumental teacher privately as well as in schools, teaching piano, flute, clarinet, singing and saxophone as well as directing choirs. I also play guitar, and I perform in a 5 piece a cappella group.

I'm also an amateur belly dancer in a little troupe that do charity gigs and the like around Melbourne.

What else? I have a beautiful baby turtle who is currently swimming around like a crazy thing. I love chocolate (but who doesn't right?!)… Oh and sometimes I'm a mermaid!

Gem Stone
03-07-2012, 10:30 AM
My name is Alexandrea. I love writing and would love for that to be my job. I am trying to get my first book published, both a young adults book and a children's book. I also play saxophone, keyboard, sketch, paint, and babysit. My actual job is data entry at an accounting place. Most boring job EVER! I do, however, enjoy working for family. Sometimes. I am working my way through homeschooling and I'm thinking about starting a college class soon. Up until recently, I was also a private tutor in Algebra.

ShyMer
03-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Oh hey, I homeschooled too! I ended up taking college courses early because of it- sixteen- and it really helped me. There's only so much I could learn on my own about some things, and it gave me a nice boost for later on. Btw, If you can get an Associates degree at a community college, four year schools will sometimes give you reduced tuition :)

Gem Stone
03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Shymer- thanks for the advice. Which homeschooling program did you do?

Demi
03-07-2012, 12:59 PM
wow all of you have so mutch to tell.. My name is Astrid, an old danish name. Im still in high school, but this summer i'll be done :D Im planing on taking a year where im just working different places, get some experience, and after that go to college. It would be nice if I was done with all the school things but there is still some years to go :P
Apart from that i draw and design costumes which is one of my biggest passions.. i dont know what else there is to tell.. x)

Mermaid Lorelei
03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Outside, my name is Laura. Yeah, you can kind of guess where my mermaid name came from. :P

I'm finishing my Sophomore year in college right now. I'm working on a Biology major, and hopefully I'll be working for a Marine Biology emphasis in the next year or two.
In my free time I swim, play soccer, play volleyball, dabble in photography and makeup, and I make jewelry and accessories. :>
My nickname is Ninja, though I have about 26 other names. I cosplay from time to time, my costumes make up a large portion of my closet, and I plan on expanding. I enjoy collecting antique kimono and obi, I'm interested in taking Trapeze lessons (I loved it the one time I was on one), and hopefully I'll be gaining my SCUBA license this summer.

I have one fish, four dogs, and I'm hoping to get a lizard or a snake soon.

There's more to me than this, but honestly, I can't think of anything right now. XD

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I am Martin. I've lived near West Chester PA my whole life, except when I went away to Penn State's Main Campus for college. I am from an Italian-American Catholic family, though we're unusually tall for Italian-descended people (I'm 6'2" tall, myself), and I've flirted with neopaganism despite going to Church every week and continue to be fairly devoutly Catholic. I still have family in La Marche, Calabria, and a few in Milan and the Neopolitan region, and I've visited them on several occasions, as well as seen other spots in Italy (and several other places, including London and the surrounding countryside, Paris, Normandy, Amsterdam, and a trip through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Lichtenstein, Jamaica, Bermuda, the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, the Canadian Lake Region, Montreal, Quebec, and the Riviera Maya in Mexico). I've also traveled up and down the East Coast, and been to a few other places in the U.S. (pre-Katrina New Orleans, Los Angeles and Santa Monica and Nashville and Cincinnati, though there's so much more I want to see).

I was the shy, artistic kid in grade school who ran around the playground pretending he had wings; in middle and high school I went to an all-boys catholic prep school (which might've been a bad idea). During High school I took part in a lot of the plays and musicals, though I never found a sport that I enjoyed. I figured out I was gay after playing Everquest, and was grounded from the Internet as a result. I went to Penn State as an Environmental Resource Management student, only to find out that the required chemistry and agrobusiness management classes were killing me, so I went for English instead, and took some really impressive classes (scuba, skiing, fencing, near eastern mythology, non-western mythology, art history, drawing, early british literature, the victorians, fantasy literature, sci-fi literature, shakespeare, the art of the picture book, James Joyce, Paleontology, Oceanography, Geoscience, Creative Writing, Poetry studies, Fiction Writing, and Entomology. I also started coming out to friends and family, and now I'm almost entirely out of the closet (my grandparents don't know yet, but I'm probably ok with that). I graduated in 2007 and went on almost immediately to grad school, taking classes in Curriculum and Instruction: Children's Literature... only to be wiped out by mono and end up scrapping that idea. I've worked as a lifeguard and swim instructor, a writing tutor, a library assistant, a legal assistant, and a book store clerk, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself now. I'm currently working on a library and information systems graduate degree at Drexel (taking online classes, which has its upsides and downsides) and I'm trying to decide what my next step is.

AniaR
03-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Im an elementary school teacher, I teach guitar, and I work 1 day a week at an art gallery. Occasionally I book music gigs.

Artisankatie
03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Wow, everybody is pretty interesting as a human as well as a mer! I'm half surprised and half not surprised that a lot of people have tertiary education, and we all seem to be a little on the quirky side :P
It's nice to see we have a lot in common besides wanting to be merpeople - we all seem to have an artistic streak, be it music or writing or visual art!

Princess Kae-Leah, what kind of things do you write? I know you collect vintage dolls (Barbie fascinates me, I'm a nut for fashion evolution and Barbie is an awesome case study!), what made you want to collect them?

Mermaasai, we ARE quite similar :P I'm also horsy, and something of an artist ;)

Hehe Gem Stone, I used to work in the same call centre as Aela, doing data entry and tellering in the main office before we both quit with people problems (and back problems for me, lol) - I feel your pain! I used to go into a sort of trance and run on autopilot :P

Joy&RapturesUnrestrained, I am a jellyfish. I've never been outside of Australia, I'm dying to go to Italy (as part of my Arts degree I studied Latin and Roman history), and all the places my family migrated from 150 years ago! I often wonder what it would be like meeting my distant family and seeing if they're anything like me! By the way, do you play WoW? I'm an 85 human lock on Blackrock :3

Alveric
03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm a full time law librarian, part-time writer and politician (I'm giving up politics because the viciousness makes it no longer fun). I've done Medieval combat simulations (I wrote a book on 15th century Arms and armor for my master's thesis). I've done Civil War and Old West reenacting. I'm a husband and father of two; a boy age fifteen and girl age 23. The daughter is marrying a nice young man from Brisbane, Ozzyland in June. (You're all invited).

I have a Mer-novel finished and awaiting publication.

Alveric

Princess Kae-Leah
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
The link to my writing is in my sig line. I collect mostly vintage Barbie-type vinyl dolls, and I guess like you I find them fascinating as well as beautiful and fun to collect.

LordsofSalem
03-07-2012, 05:27 PM
My name is Loreena, I'm almost 17, and I'm Canadian!

My boyfriend is 21 (shhh he looks my age) and I'm bisexual.
I'm in grade 11 and an aspiring ballet dancer. My best subjects are English, Writing, Drama and Music Appreciation (we seriously study music. It rocks). I'm not actually a very good student (I sleep during class), but I may go to college.

I love learning about freak shows and oddities (especially human oddities). I love learning different sideshow acts -- if you read my introduction, I mention that I do contortion, fire eating and human blockhead (if you don't know what blockhead is, google it! c: ). I also want to build a bed of nails and learn tightrope, aerial silks, and fire breathing, and sword swallowing. I have my hair dyed pink and my ears are stretched to 8g. I can't wait to get tattoos and more piercings!

I worked at Claire's (accessory store) for 3 months. I was only a temp because 1) I was a co-op student there and, 2) I was under 18. I miss working.

I'm veggie! Animals have always been my friends (:

I've beaten self-harm twice and bulimia. I actually feel good about my body now and like my curves. I've quit smoking and pot.

I really, really want to move the States, preferably to Salem, Massachusetts. I've always been obsessed with the Salem Witch Trials (I love the paranormal) and I'd love to encounter some of the residual ghosts.

I really don't know what else to put!

SweeteSiren
03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
This is intimidating - everyone else is so much more interesting than I am!
My human name is Rachel. I am a marketing communications secretary and I spend most of my time at a desk working on trademark renewals. Working on my education to get a better job - just got my Associates Science in December, and will be starting work on my Bachelors in the fall, planning on a bioengineering major. In my spare time (HA, ha, ha, ha!), I play the mountain dulcimer, am trying to teach myself piano, and collect 17th century folk music. I have 3 kids, and am working on a mermaid tail for one of them. I am also in the middle of planning my wedding. :)

babsannee
03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Hey! My real name is Barbara. Most people actually call me Babs in real life though. My middle name is Anne, so as you can imagine I get a lot of Beach Boys jokes. I'm almost 18, and I really love theatre. I do all the theatre I can at school. I like indie music, folk music, folk rock, etc. I really love the idea of studying cultural anthropology, because I like to think about what makes people and cultures tick. I've loved mermaids since I was little, and I think that I would love to be an actress for the rest of my life. I don't know why, I just love it!!!!!!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
03-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Wow, everybody is pretty interesting as a human as well as a mer! I'm half surprised and half not surprised that a lot of people have tertiary education, and we all seem to be a little on the quirky side :P
It's nice to see we have a lot in common besides wanting to be merpeople - we all seem to have an artistic streak, be it music or writing or visual art!

Princess Kae-Leah, what kind of things do you write? I know you collect vintage dolls (Barbie fascinates me, I'm a nut for fashion evolution and Barbie is an awesome case study!), what made you want to collect them?

Mermaasai, we ARE quite similar :P I'm also horsy, and something of an artist ;)

Hehe Gem Stone, I used to work in the same call centre as Aela, doing data entry and tellering in the main office before we both quit with people problems (and back problems for me, lol) - I feel your pain! I used to go into a sort of trance and run on autopilot :P

Joy&RapturesUnrestrained, I am a jellyfish. I've never been outside of Australia, I'm dying to go to Italy (as part of my Arts degree I studied Latin and Roman history), and all the places my family migrated from 150 years ago! I often wonder what it would be like meeting my distant family and seeing if they're anything like me! By the way, do you play WoW? I'm an 85 human lock on Blackrock :3

Artisankatie, I have a human priest and a mage (arcane), night elf druid (balance) and a hunter (beast), dwarf shaman (enhancement), gnome rogue, worgen rogue (subtlety) and a druid (beast), draenei paladin and a mage (ice), orc warrior and a warlock, goblin hunter, tauren shaman (elemental), troll priest, undead warlock (demonology) and a priest (shadow), blood elf mage (fire) and a paladin. I'm also planning a night elf mage (arcane/ice) and warrior, a draenei shaman (healing), a gnome mage (ice/fire), tauren druid and paladin, troll druid, and several others, but I'm waiting to make those until after I get a character high enough to unlock death knights (I have at least three planned). At the moment, I've gotten all of my characters to level 20, but am trying to get each of them to level 40... and then I'll move on to level 60, etc. I have characters on steamwheedle cartel, nesignwary, arygos, kalecgos, illidan, dalaran, proudmoore, korialstrasz, and Area 52, though if you don't mind coaching a relative newbie, I could make one on Blackrock, too. I still wish harpies and naga were playable races, though.

I'm also on City of Heroes (occasionally on DC Universe Online) and I am rueing the day I got a Mac because I can't play Everquest II's Fae/Arasai or AION (or even play my old dragon and dryad characters from Istaria), not to mention all of my windows-required non-MMO games.

Odette
03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
this is fun!
i am a veterinary assistant and going back to school for a vet tech.i have worked with animal control for awhile and yes, alot of animals have to be out down.i got to work with dogs,cats,rabbits,iguanas,pythons,chinchillas,turt les,parrots,doves,and a colorado rover toad.

i currently volunteer at the wildlife center. i clean and feed(i have to gut and pull heads off of quail and mice.i hate it but it must be done) i medicate and restrain only when we need an x-ray or give meds subcutaneously. 2006i have been attacked by two turkey vultures and Kiki(the resident kestral) i also get to do physical therapy to some of the animals. the owl was the worst. we also get bobcats,coyotes,javalina,and an occasional mountain lion. the cats have a very loud hissing noise that will make most people jump.its so amazzing.

i work at Valley of the Moon.a historical fantasy park.i give historical tours and im the veteran mermaid.we do not need anymore mermaids right now(i get asked so much) i am also the spring show's director. we are going to do "Peter Pan"
i will be posting a thread about this later next month because i specifically made a mermaid scene that i want to share with you all.

i also study sometimes at the medical library to conduct research on zoo animal medicine as i plan to go to the teaching zoo as i get older(late 30's).
right now ill be doing research for cetacean stress realted hormones and envorinmental and disease problems in marine aquariums. i have 11 pages so far.

another thing that im doing is learning about water conservation and meeting with alot of people.(thanks to the water festival)that are good connections. we got people from the government and the water company and tribe mebers. i hope i can get some good connections there and im learning just about everything water related.i love it.

i have been a vlounteer STEM program(girl scouts science program) teaching assistant and plan on doing it again this year if i have time. i helped teach the girls about marine biology and entomology.

also i work for conventions all over the United States though im currently limited to Arizona.by next year ill be working chicago and florida hopefully.

mermaid.dreamer
03-07-2012, 08:09 PM
LordsofSalem we are so much alike it's crazy o.o I'm 16 right now and I live in the states. I love everything paranormal especially the darker side of things. When I turn 18 I am getting three tatoos all with great significance to my life. School is not really one of my favorite things to do but I love to learn. I have always felt I have an unusual connection to animals and the Earth in general. I'm very much a tree hugger I guess you could call me. I'm vegetarian and I love drawing writing ceramics and dancing. My dream is to be a Weeki Wachee mermaid when I graduate high school next year :)

melbel1023
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM
My name is Melissa, I'm 22, and a student at the Savannah College or Art and Design for Film and Television with a minor in Animation.
I own two dogs, a chinchilla, and three lizards. I love costuming, disney cosplaying, surfing around online, collecting star wars figures and memorabilia, and watching lots of films.
My favorite shows are Oddities, Face Off, Project Runway, Game of Thrones, The Borgias, Robot Chicken, and Key&Peele. My favorite films (lately) are The Artist, 50/50, Star Wars (of course!), The Lion King, Buffalo '66, and Aliens.
I'm only 1 year away from graduation at SCAD, but when I'm done I'm most likely moving to California for work (whether its for animation or film).

Odette
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM
This is intimidating - everyone else is so much more interesting than I am!
My human name is Rachel. I am a marketing communications secretary and I spend most of my time at a desk working on trademark renewals. Working on my education to get a better job - just got my Associates Science in December, and will be starting work on my Bachelors in the fall, planning on a bioengineering major. In my spare time (HA, ha, ha, ha!), I play the mountain dulcimer, am trying to teach myself piano, and collect 17th century folk music. I have 3 kids, and am working on a mermaid tail for one of them. I am also in the middle of planning my wedding. :)
marketing communications? that is real nice. what about bioengineering do you like?

Mermaid Jewel
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Well my real name is Tiffany and I'm a student. When I'm not being a crazy Asian in school, I'm dancing. I dance ballet (10 years now, 5th year on Pointe), jazz, and modern about 20 hours a week in peak production/rehearsal time (production week is like 35h haha). I'm also a somewhat accomplished student photographer. I've won a few competitions and I sell my work to silent auctions for charity...it makes me so happy to hear how much I've made for them :D

I also do/am interested in traditional art (from sharpie to watercolor to acrylics to oil pastel to charcoal...I also do calligraphy) and mythology. I'm interested in a lot of fantasy stuff (books, movies) and historical based (I love historical fiction or alternate histories, and I love the Tudor time period). I'm also working my way into steampunk right now :)

It sounds strange after all that artsy stuff but I'm planning atm to become a material engineer. I'm hoping to get to the point where I'm actually designing products but there's no real major for that so I'm going through material engineering :) My dream is to take a year or two off after college to be a professional dancer (not necessarily in like a high-end company but even like back-up dancer) and then be a part-time photographer with my job.

Sorry, that was a lot :)

Spindrift
03-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Well my real name is Tiffany and I'm a student. When I'm not being a crazy Asian in school, I'm dancing. I dance ballet (10 years now, 5th year on Pointe), jazz, and modern about 20 hours a week in peak production/rehearsal time (production week is like 35h haha). I'm also a somewhat accomplished student photographer. I've won a few competitions and I sell my work to silent auctions for charity...it makes me so happy to hear how much I've made for them :D

I also do/am interested in traditional art (from sharpie to watercolor to acrylics to oil pastel to charcoal...I also do calligraphy) and mythology. I'm interested in a lot of fantasy stuff (books, movies) and historical based (I love historical fiction or alternate histories, and I love the Tudor time period). I'm also working my way into steampunk right now :)

It sounds strange after all that artsy stuff but I'm planning atm to become a material engineer. I'm hoping to get to the point where I'm actually designing products but there's no real major for that so I'm going through material engineering :) My dream is to take a year or two off after college to be a professional dancer (not necessarily in like a high-end company but even like back-up dancer) and then be a part-time photographer with my job.

Sorry, that was a lot :)

My major involves designing products. You might be interested in looking into industrial design. And I don't think it's strange at all to go into engineering after being interested in artsy stuff. That's where I am.

Mermaid Sirena
03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Currently I'm finishing obtaining my bachelors degree in Visual Communications, I've been working my butt off and as a result I will have my 4 year degree in under 3 :D I'm working just as a student worker at my school (I love the people and flexible hours). Most of my time is spent getting ready for graduation and supporting my boo. I'm looking forward to jumping into underwater modeling once I'm able to figure out how to do so.

I spend a lot of time LARPing, @ Ren Fairs and other atypical locations. Working on a few business models and hoping to launch one of them by 2014 and the other by 2020. At this point in my life a lot of it seems to be planning and figuring out where and what I want to do.

Oh one side project is I'm going to relaunch my etsy shop soon as I can, I will be selling custom bound books. :D

Theta
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
My name is Heather. I live in NY state, in a town renowned for having the worst college basketball team in the country, or something like that. I've got a BA in Medieval Studies and Classical Civilization, and am about to finish my MA in art history, specializing in medieval textiles and trade. I'm applying to PhD programs next year for material culture studies, but I'd really like to work in museums.

In my non-mermaiding spare time, I do embroidery and dabble in painting. Things I like: cooking, hosting tea parties (seriously, you should see my 75 year old silver tea service, it's ridiculous), anything to do with tiaras and magnificent jewelry, and kimono. One of my goals is to hang out with Lorelei and geek out over kimono. I've got a fledgling collection but nothing compared to some of my friends.

I am absolutely passionate about cars and the Fast and Furious franchise.

I'm also a very contrary, cynical, angry, mcrantypants person.

shimmygoddess
03-08-2012, 12:36 PM
My real name is Monika. My dance name is 'Amara'. I am a stay at home mom to 3 kids (19, 9, 6). I am a professional portrait and wedding photographer and have my own business. I am also a professional bellydancer and perform and teach classes throughout our area. My husband is a Middle Eastern musician (as a hobby) and plays in a band and we often perform together. I like to make my own jewerly and do some costume design as well. I love reading everyones posts!!:)

Mermaid Lorelei
03-08-2012, 02:00 PM
One of my goals is to hang out with Lorelei and geek out over kimono.

-hugs- I feel loved! And it would be most awesome to get together and geek out over kimono! Though I admit, I need to work on my collection as well. :>

Mermaid Jewel
03-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Oh one side project is I'm going to relaunch my etsy shop soon as I can, I will be selling custom bound books. :D

That sounds awesome! I'll definitely look at those! :D

New York Mermaid
03-10-2012, 03:01 AM
wow its nice to know alot of us have somewhat similar and unique things about us in our"human" form.

SweeteSiren
03-10-2012, 05:03 PM
marketing communications? that is real nice. what about bioengineering do you like?

I work for an oil company that wants to put itself out of business. :) Right now there is a project going on to use bacteria to produce oil that will be clean to use & doesn't have to be drilled out of the ground. The more I learn about it the more fascinating it becomes.

I LOVE your job description by the way! Although that owl did not look happy. I hope he doesn't eat mermaids...

Artisankatie
03-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Nirix5, awesome! My BA was medieval history and classical studies too, and my honours year was on 14th century costume :D I was going to start my PhD this year but I couldn't think of a topic in time, so I started a BSc instead :P
Are you in the Society for Creative Anachronism by any chance?

Theta
03-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Nirix5, awesome! My BA was medieval history and classical studies too, and my honours year was on 14th century costume :D I was going to start my PhD this year but I couldn't think of a topic in time, so I started a BSc instead :P
Are you in the Society for Creative Anachronism by any chance?

Sweet! What aspect of 14th c. costume did you do?

Lol PhD's. I won't be starting mine for another year and the prospect still makes me nervous, it's such a huge project. is BSc a bachelor of science? Are you still working in 14th c. costume?

I never really got in with the SCA crowd, oddly enough. A lot of my friends do it, and are active in ren faires and stuff like that. (One of my friends was conceived at Pennsic, and her parents named her Melisende, for which she's never forgiven them!) All of my costuming/pretending stuff runs to fantasy (mermaids, fairies etc.) or cosplays from different anime. One of my goals has always been to do a Heian period kimono ensemble, though, so maybe I'll join a chapter that deals with Asian history ;)

What about you?

Mermaid Sirena
03-10-2012, 06:53 PM
That sounds awesome! I'll definitely look at those! :D

I'll post about it as soon as I can but between finals, trying to get an internship, getting all my wisdom teeth removed and the mermag I wont have time for maybe a month :P

Artisankatie
03-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I wrote my thesis on heraldry in costume :D

I'm in the SCA (with varying periods of getting really excited about it and then fading out again), at one point I was really into making my SCA friends pretty with pageantry, but heraldic dresses and stuff are considered a little iffy in terms of whether they actually existed and were worn or if they were just shown in art to identify the person wearing it. So I argued that they were real mostly so I could justify having an epic heraldic outfit :P
What's your MA topic?

BSc is science, yep! I'll be majoring in Geoscience, so nothing related to my BA at all, haha. I get SCA people commissioning me to design and make a lot of garb, so while I'm not actively doing much research I get to apply my knowledge a bit :D
I'm also kind of in the Steampunk scene, but I'm not that into the creative side of it. I think of it more as a Victorian version of the SCA, so I tend to go for a more accurate look (it drives me nuts when girls just throw on a corset over normal clothes and say they're in costume, lol). I also dabble in piratey and WWII stuff :D

What sort of Classical stuff did you study? Aradia is studying a little classical history at the moment, so we're always arguing over whether Romans or Greeks were better :P (TEAM ROMANS!)

Winged Mermaid
03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Currently I'm in school learning about natural/homeopathic medicine- healing with herbs and proper nutrition. My goal is to become an herbalist and a Reiki Master. I'd also like to take classes for costume design and construction, although I'm more interested in learning the construction end for costumes of all kinds (including some SFX). Also interested in makeup artistry! Discovering we're moving to basically Seattle and not staying in San Diego has kind of thrown a wrench in plans for all of the above, but I'm hoping Seattle will be a place where I can follow through as well as I could have here. *crosses fingers*

Odette
03-11-2012, 11:31 PM
I work for an oil company that wants to put itself out of business. :) Right now there is a project going on to use bacteria to produce oil that will be clean to use & doesn't have to be drilled out of the ground. The more I learn about it the more fascinating it becomes.

I LOVE your job description by the way! Although that owl did not look happy. I hope he doesn't eat mermaids...
lol.thank you. he was sooo pissy.clapping his beak at me.
that sounds really cool.i gotta tell my boyfriend. he is a microbiologist. i love science! =D

Theta
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I wrote my thesis on heraldry in costume :D

I'm in the SCA (with varying periods of getting really excited about it and then fading out again), at one point I was really into making my SCA friends pretty with pageantry, but heraldic dresses and stuff are considered a little iffy in terms of whether they actually existed and were worn or if they were just shown in art to identify the person wearing it. So I argued that they were real mostly so I could justify having an epic heraldic outfit :P
What's your MA topic?

BSc is science, yep! I'll be majoring in Geoscience, so nothing related to my BA at all, haha. I get SCA people commissioning me to design and make a lot of garb, so while I'm not actively doing much research I get to apply my knowledge a bit :D
I'm also kind of in the Steampunk scene, but I'm not that into the creative side of it. I think of it more as a Victorian version of the SCA, so I tend to go for a more accurate look (it drives me nuts when girls just throw on a corset over normal clothes and say they're in costume, lol). I also dabble in piratey and WWII stuff :D

What sort of Classical stuff did you study? Aradia is studying a little classical history at the moment, so we're always arguing over whether Romans or Greeks were better :P (TEAM ROMANS!)

Ooooh, heraldry. I touch on that a little bit in my thesis (representation of textiles in tomb effigies from the high middle ages. Yikes, that soundbite needs work), mainly in the context of heraldic symbols on tombs to identify the family/owner for memorial purposes.

Oh dude, don't get me going on steampunk. I love the idea of it, but I'm so sick of sepia toned everything (and raggedy skirts and corsets! Why are they always raggedy? It's like people take too much of their inspiration from Burton movies.) I've got a steampunk Poison Ivy I'm doing for NYComicCon, but the beauty is it's a) green and b) based on art nouveau, which rejected industrialization just like Poison Ivy herself did! Muahahaha. A plan, I has it.

I'm a Latinist by trade, although I dabble in Greek sometimes. But I'm going to go crazy here and be on TEAM CARTHAGE! Woo!

MermanJesse
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Real name is Jesse obviously.

While blending in as a human, I work as an assistant manager at a McDonald's in Cincinnati.

I LOVE theme parks and roller coasters. I have ridden 115 different coasters, and have been to 20 different theme/amusement parks!

Absolutely adore Wynonna Judd..... My favorite song is No One Else On Earth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTM7Ks2a98&feature=related

She can sing anything, any style.

Mermaid Lorelei
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Jesse, you're awesome. :3

Princess Kae-Leah
03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
WARNING: LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!
*I've been collecting (mostly vintage) fashion dolls since I was a kid! Here are some pics of my girls:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/385095_286433104710180_253963584623799_971954_9986 37625_n.jpghttp://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308314_286434574710033_253963584623799_971962_8952 48883_n.jpg
*I am a BIG Disney fan, and I like to collect different prints of Disney animated features, especially old VHS tapes from thrift stores.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/308197_286440674709423_253963584623799_972023_1899 088003_n.jpg
Yep, I own several copies of Alice In Wonderland! ;)
*I LOVE Disneyland, and wish I could go there more often! Even though, yes, I am aware that are really just people in costumes, I love to collect Disney character pictures and autographs!
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/398912_268646313192029_100001399888781_745050_4988 31023_n.jpghttp://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/400570_268646806525313_100001399888781_745052_8897 73702_n.jpg
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/395143_268645789858748_100001399888781_745049_1458 391519_n.jpghttp://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/395892_268645233192137_100001399888781_745047_1203 481656_n.jpghttp://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/393294_268642589859068_100001399888781_745042_1805 332586_n.jpghttp://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/396188_268642083192452_100001399888781_745040_1006 641458_n.jpghttp://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/399784_268640176525976_100001399888781_745034_4717 04351_n.jpghttp://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408290_268639406526053_100001399888781_745033_7534 044_n.jpg
*Like my Lady Gaga shirt? I am such a Little Sea Monster!
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/384641_268639073192753_100001399888781_745030_1294 889802_n.jpghttp://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405268_268644183192242_100001399888781_745045_1940 888516_n.jpg
*Notice my nifty Captain EO T-shirt? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Michael Jackson!

Amethyst
03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow, I can't believe how ambitious everyone is here! :D Those are some really great college/Uni courses! :)
I'm Michelle, 28 and I'm a full time carer for my husband. Before he became ill I left high school and did 1 year at college, studying Animal Care but after the year I realised it wasn't what I wanted to do, to be honest, I've never had a clue as to what I wanted to do for a living, so I just had a waitress job, hairdressing job, a few shop jobs, trying different things to see if anything 'fit' lol but then my husband's health deteriorated and I left work to care for him full time :) Hopefully one day he'll be better :) and maybe I can continue my search of the perfect career :D

Alveric
03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
@Jesse: Interesting. We're just down the road in Lexington.

Alveric

Artisankatie
03-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Ooooh, heraldry. I touch on that a little bit in my thesis (representation of textiles in tomb effigies from the high middle ages. Yikes, that soundbite needs work), mainly in the context of heraldic symbols on tombs to identify the family/owner for memorial purposes.

Oh dude, don't get me going on steampunk. I love the idea of it, but I'm so sick of sepia toned everything (and raggedy skirts and corsets! Why are they always raggedy?

I'm a Latinist by trade, although I dabble in Greek sometimes. But I'm going to go crazy here and be on TEAM CARTHAGE! Woo!

My absolute favourite effigy is Maud Foxley! I've been planning a dress like hers for like 3 years now, lol.

Ohhh, the raggedy.... and the sepia... gah! Most of the steampunk girls here tend to look like try-hard gothic lolita girls. The guys do a great job (I've seen some fantastic explorers and inventors and such), but the girls are always so cookie-cutter-OMG-I'M-WEARING-A-CORSET. My dress is a sky blue and ivory 1880s ensemble, right down to my underwear :P (though my corset is purple.. but it goes UNDER the clothes, haha)

Steampunk Poison Ivy?! That sounds AWESOME! This I have to see!

I studied Latin all through my BA :D I loved it! I did a little Ancient Greek, but the whole definite article thing got under my skin and made Latin look comparitively easy... and the whole throaty sucking and spitting thing... Latin is so clean and neat ;)

WHOA! TEAM CARTHAGE?! Crazy talk!

Mermaid Lulu
07-23-2012, 03:50 AM
I make films. Currently studying at Stanford.
I just finished a competition piece. Please please vote for it.

https://apps.facebook.com/offerpop/Contest.psp?c=101162&u=26781&a=202991206406825&p=345187072196803&v=Entry&id=v2859&rest=1

-Lulu

Azurin Luna
07-23-2012, 04:59 AM
My real name is Esther. I work at a shipyard, drawing construction plans, foundation for various items on board of big working ships and I'm the system manager for the drawing program we use. I'm also schooled in carpentry and do all my house fixings myself or with help of my dad.
I draw alot in my free time, when ever I find some. I make costumes for LARP events and I started with belly dancing. I play D&D with my friends where I'm never a human, I'm stuck in a human body my whole life, why would I play one in a game that has lots of different races to play.
I play various MMO's and RPG games on my pc and I'm a big fan of Star Wars.

Mermaid Fenicia
07-23-2012, 07:08 AM
My real name is Nathalie. As I'm disabled I'm not aloud to work (so no money for me as I live together with a friend :(). I do have a lot of hobbies beside being a mermaid. I make cosplay (costumes) for me and my friends and sometimes on commission for others. I also make outfit for Ball Joint Dolls (my own doll, friends dolls, commissions and to sell them). I do face-painting at kids parties and sometime theater. And I make stuff to sell at conventions and events (most of them are also on my site ;)).

Kitty-Madison Snel
07-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Whem I'm not Kitty Mermaid, I'm a mindfulnesstrainer, and I work as a volunteer in South Kennemerland National Parc. But I'm also a technician: electricity, powerlines, making creative things from wood, metals, and plastics - so it is not strange that I'm interested in FX en prosthetics.

I live in the Netherlands, Europe. My home is only a step away from the North Sea. In my off time writing is a passion, or walking in nature or on the beach. I'm also a musician and composer (keyboards, synth, piano). But I'm also a environmentalist. My company is real green: I've no car, so I travel with my reclining bicycle.

Raayvhen
07-23-2012, 10:46 AM
When I'm not Raayvhen, I'm Jeni and I'm just a 20 year old bumming around life. I pole dance, I belly dance, I make music. I also make jewelery. In the near future when everything is set up, I'll also be known as Avarice in the modeling world. I should have my Model Mayhem up today and then I'm planning on doing a shoot for my Suicide Girls application.

Arella
07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm also almost 18 so I'm in hs right now but work as a nanny. :)

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
0.0 I want to take some of those courses!

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Oh, Man, Kae!!! Those are some SUPER awesome disney pictures!

Ayla of Duluth
07-23-2012, 11:44 AM
When I'm not Ayla, I'm Jessica. At work I'm known as Jingle Bells.

Im a part time carriage driver, picking up open spots on weekends. When I'm not driving horses, I'm working for the same company doing side projects. Construction, repair, cleanup, ground work.

I used to work on a tour boat, but they stopped scheduling me and have been very rude when I try to contact them. They avoid me at all costs. So I guess I don't work there anymore.

In my free time I like to go down to the lake and walk around and pretend to be a tourist. There's so much to do and see here, I love watching big thousand foot ships come in and out of the canal.

I make etched glass when I'm bored and I sell them. I haven't sold many, people are really trying hard to save money right now.

Recently I've been very productive with my mermaiding career. I purchased a raven tail, and while I wait for it I've hired a graphic designer to make me a logo, I have a fellow mer helping me construct a website, and I'm discussing plastic business card options with a sales representative from plastic printers.

Other than that, I'm a full time mom to a 9 month old Pomeranian with seperation issues. The little guy follows me EVERYWHERE, even climbing over the fence to follow me to the bus stop. Yup. Being a mom is a lot of work. ;)

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Kay, so. My real name is Jacey Dot, I live in northern Utah, and yes, I am a Mormon.

When I was growing up I would spend every summer in WA with my Grandma, and she used to send my and my brother to swimming lessons. Not surprising, then, when I decided to join the swim team in High school. My favorite stroke is also the most difficult; Butterfly.
I love costuming and design, as well as cosplay and LARP. In fact, I met my husband at a Belegarth event in 2010. I'm a Libra, I read cards (not tarot or anything similar, my mom taught me something different), love haunted houses (having lived in them my whole life), and currently spend WAY too much time on the computer.

I studied multimedia design for a little while at OWATC, with an emphasis in website design, but decided that wasn't really my style. I've worked at several places since I graduated from HS, starting with a seasonal halloween store, then IHOP, then Journeys, and my most recent job was in the bakery at Maverik. I'm currently waiting for my son to hurry up and get born so I can see how well being a stay-at-home mom will work for me.

I hope to eventually go up to Weber State University for some training in costume design so that I can improve the quality of the costumes I make for people. I'm hoping to impress the professor with a swimmable/walkable mermaid tail design.

I also should warn you that I love all things Buffy, and recently I inherited my brother's Charmed collection, of which I am currently in season 6.

One thing I'm proud of is that I don't ever judge people, and I'm always trying to show love in everything I do, no matter who I'm with.
One thing I'm embarassed by is that I can be very very lazy when I'm at home. Which is all the time right now.

LittleTreasure
07-23-2012, 01:43 PM
In the human world my name is Ashley.

I'm mostly a University student right now, and I'm majoring in Studio Art and minoring in Psychology (although those two might get flipped around soon - I guess I'll see after my Behavioral Psychology class). My teacher recommended that I consider becoming an art therapist, but I really have no idea what I want to do! All I know is I want to help people...but that leaves so many options open O.o

Unfortunately my search for a job hasn't really taken off yet. Mostly I've been working in childcare and pet-sitting. I need to get looking if I want to work this fall! I would really like to move out and live on my own...I am 20 years old after all.

In my spare time I have about a million projects going: making miniature food and other products for my Etsy shop (and for me,) finishing my heirloom barbie dollhouse that I started renovating, finishing my real house that I will be renting from my aunt, making my mermaid tops, making jewelry, fixing clothes, growing my hair out, making a new monofin, etc, etc, etc... I also like to read mysteries and ghost stories, watch tv shows about the same thing, or cartoons, cook new foods, and other stuff....I love singing, and was a choir girl for 4 years in high school - thinking of doing a choir again.

By the way, Melbel1023, how's SCAD treating you? I wanted to go to that school SOOO bad...

Thalassa
07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
My name is going to stay a secret, although if I've friended you on Facebook you know what it is. ;-)

I'm an elementary school teacher who just got her first job in the Kindergarten, and I'm very excited to be teaching! My first choice of grade would be 5th grade, but since I aided for a year in Kindergarten I feel I can pull it off well.

I love Ren Faires with the Order of the Azure Rose here. I'm into Lolita fashion, although I only really wear it at meet ups. I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm still searching for true love, and I absolutely believe in it. I'm pretty much an open book about a lot of things (which sometimes ends up with me looking mean because I speak my mind, but most times I say it and then let go or apologize later), and unfortunately gullible when it comes to practical jokes. XD I love using smilies. I love shows like Ghost Whisperer and Sanctuary. I haven't grown an inch since sixth grade (age 12), although my weight has definitely fluctuated. I love bloopers in shows. I like to embroider and crochet. I am a compulsive refresher. I have social anxiety. I've never been out of the country. I float. I'm the eldest of 6 kids. I got a 32 on the ACT. My favorite thing in the whole world is to laugh. My mer-goal is to someday swim with Raina.

There's some random stuff about me! ;-P

Nykur
07-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Redacted

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Wait, so you study english? Wow, you're ambitious! It's supposed to be one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn.

Lyna
07-23-2012, 04:42 PM
My human name is Cat...I'm from California, residing the majority of my adult life in Upstate NY near the Candian border. By near, I mean 3 exits away. I have 2 children ages 3 and 7. I have so far only an Associates of Science in the humanities sciences...because I was aspiring to get a Master's or higher specializing in axis 2 disorders...but along the way I had a tattoo machine thrown in my hand, and after much kicking and screaming I went along with it, and haven't stopped since that first one. I was a 4.0 student after the first semester reacclimiating to school after so many years out of it, but have decided to go on education hiatus again to spend more time enjoying my time and focusing on work. I had too many years sleeping 2 hours a night and juggling being a single mom, student, and full time emplyed with 2 jobs at a time. Oh! Speaking of...no longer single mom here, I got married in Niagara Falls this February. I've been a mermaid since i was my daughters age at least...but I finally got the nerve to spend the thousands I have this year making that dream a reality.

Mermaid Saphira
07-23-2012, 10:24 PM
( I am so sorry if i bored you all..I love to share everything- and Im high on chocolate..lol)

LOL! Sounds like me right about now *Aqua says with a mouth full of dove chocolate* :lol:

MermanJesse
07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
@Jesse: Interesting. We're just down the road in Lexington.

Alveric

Carpool to Palooza?

:yay:

Alveric
07-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I won't be able to make it this year, but keep it in mind for the future.

Merman_Shawn
07-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I've already disclosed a lot about myself in previous threads, but I'll try to reign it all in here.
In real life I'm Shawn. I've had many professions and day jobs. I've been a cashier at K-Mart, Wal*Mart, Conoco/Philips, and Circle K. Currently I work in a Salon and Day Spa as a receptionist. On the more exciting side, I've been a make up artist for Ulta Stores, Boots Cosmetics, a production of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and various Halloween Haunted Houses. I also used to go-go dance for warehouse parties when I was younger(as a result I did a little modeling too). Oh, I've been a drag performer as well;Drag was truly an eye opening experience.
On a personal note, I've been with my boyfriend for 2 1/2 years. We met on the internet, he lived in NY and I lived in CA. After about a year of long distance dating, he came to visit me, and I moved to NY shortly after. He is disabled, and I do a lot for him, but I love him. We're hoping with the right mix of drugs and procedures we can get him back into the world again, but everything is up in the air at the moment.
I love fantasy novels and sci-fi tv shows. My current favorite show has to be Doctor Who. One day when I see that blue box, I'll be ready!
Can't think of anything else at the moment, but if you have questions feel free to ask. Here have some pictures:
Here's a make up I did on myself:
These two are from my Go-Go Dancing Days:
And this is me in drag:

merboy78xy
07-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Shawn! THat's awesome makeup job! And you're quite beautiful in drag! :)

Lorelei-- I have some awesome wedding kimonos that I bought when I worked for Tokyo Disney. LOVE em... they're so elaborate and beautiful!

I'm Steve.
I live in NYC, and I make my living in Theatre. I have spent my life as an actor, having done themeparks, cruise ships, national tour, vegas, etc. tho now I have my own theatre company and make my own work. I co-create and co-produce shows. Because we're a new company, I wear a LOT of hats. I am the costume departments (I sew WAY too much for my own good! It's SOO MUCH WORK! and costs SO MUCH!!). I am the Props dept. I am the company artist (including sketch, design, logos, set painting, etc.), and the main driver on tour-- not to mention one of the two leads in our shows. It's enough to make me cry! It keeps me very busy and makes me sad to not have the energy or desire to sew more than I have to-- so making my own costumes (and tail) is a long ways away.
I am very into the arts: drawing, painting, singing, dancing, acting, etc. I am also a huge movie buff, a bit of a writer, and VERY into my spirituality (pagan boy here) and nature (I've worked with the manatees and sea turtles in FL, at an Avian hospital in Germany and with endangered animals as well!)
I'm silly, goofy, outgoing and LOVE to learn... so that's me as a human, a witch and a merman!

Gem Stone
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I recently learned something about myself, or my moms side of the family anyway. We'd always known that from my mom's dad's side of the family we were from Prussia, a country that no longer exists. But we never knew what we were in Prussia, general workers, poor people, blacksmiths, yada yada. Well anyway, after five years of genealogy research done by my grandad he found out that we are descendants of the royal line from Prussia! I'm a princess!

babsannee
08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm Barbara, and I'm an 18 year old student. I love theatre, reading, and my pug! I'm a little obsessed with tumblr right now too....

Alveric
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Gem Stone: Prussia Doesn't exist anymore but in 1871 the King of Prussia became the Emperor (Kaiser) of Germany. The last Kaiser, Wilhelm II Hohenzollern, was overthrown in 1918 when Germany lost WWI.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Talk about buckling under a lot of Prussia :)

merboy78xy
08-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Joy... that was so bad it was AWESOME!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah merboy78xy, I forgot to mention I have a sense of humor that includes ridiculous puns :)

Mermaid Miel
08-02-2012, 07:16 AM
My name is Jarna. I am Female, 26ys old (27 on the 17th).
In my real life I am a Sterilisation Assistant at Coast Dental clinic. (squee! New Job!)
It pays more, has way better working conditions and awesomely friendly work colleagues. Previously I worked in retail, never keeping a job for more than a year (with two years in between some jobs.) Worked in some excellent stores with supportive staff (and terrible customers) and also in reverse I have worked for some terrible bosses as well, despite the lovely customers.

I have collected and restored dolls, My Child mainly with some Barbies for restoration practice. I am a huge reader, sporadic writer, church singer and occasional actor.

I have a boyfriend (2 years younger than me) we have been together for over 3 years. I am currently saving for my Dream house that's on the market now. (probably wont get it, but it's savings!) It has solar panels, Rumpus room and this Awesome pool.

Sea Specter
08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm Cassie :D
I'm 16 and am in my high school's colorguard program, it's hard work but I love it and it gives me cool muscles for mermaiding 8D
Next year a Schlitterbahn (waterpark) is opening up in my town, and mayyybe they'll hire me as a mermaid if I ask n' stuff - we'll see, it'd be super cool though

Arella
08-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm Cassie :D
I'm 16 and am in my high school's colorguard program, it's hard work but I love it and it gives me cool muscles for mermaiding 8D
Next year a Schlitterbahn (waterpark) is opening up in my town, and mayyybe they'll hire me as a mermaid if I ask n' stuff - we'll see, it'd be super cool though
I'm 17 and captain of my schools color guard!

Dacora
08-10-2012, 03:39 AM
I am Dakota, I am a 17 year old female and graduating next month hopefully. When Im not pretending to have a tail(I don't have one yet) or swimming I'm either working,doing school work, sleeping or taking care of my animals. If its not my animals I am taking care of its someones pets. XD
I have 2 dogs, 1 bird,1 cat and 3 fancy goldfish in a 110 gallon tank. I will have 9 total in the tank once I am done stocking it but I am taking the stocking slow because my biological filtration got messed up. But I wont bore yall with those details since it can be quite boring if you are not into fish keeping. XD

Mermaid Celissa
08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm Abby, I'm thirteen and just started eighth grade. I have several health disorders (read my profile) and have had back surgery for scoliois. I have two cats, two tabbies named Chloe (gray) and Cupcake (orange. I love merfolk!

Sea Specter
08-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm 17 and captain of my schools color guard!
That's awesome :D
I'm captain too~ CG is the best! Is there marching band up there?

deepblue
08-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Ah, you're all so interesting! It's cool to see. :)

My name I don't use online. I'm 42, and a full time single mom to a toddler. Which means I'm broke lol and have no time for anything else. But that's okay. I dedicated myself to motherhood and wouldn't change a thing. Except for the money... if I could, haha.

Mizuko
08-21-2012, 01:38 AM
This is a lovely idea! ^_^
I'm Carrie, 23 years old from South Australia. I work full time as a receptionist/sales manager selling vaccine thermometers. I'm a person of many interests- fashion being one big one! I used to work in fashion stores for 7 years before moving to this job over a year ago (unfortunately I needed a higher paying job ><). Other than fashion, I love drawing and writing. I used to act/dance/sing on stage too, but it wasn't something I really wanted to pursue (despite many peoples protest- Let me make my own decisions!! lol)
My favourite colour is pink. I hate winter- give me spring/summer all year. I've been to Japan and want to go back there to live, but only in the warmer months! My partner who I live with is an ex-bouncer/martial arts expert so I also like to dabble in mixed martial arts too. I have a huge selection of plush toys. I write a blog (http://pinkdiamondbluepearl.blogspot.com.au/) which isn't exactly exciting because I am still learning! I dont have any pets, but my partner and I cant choose between a dog and a tea-cup pig (which he wants to call Bacon). hehe. I enjoy cosplaying also! ^__^

WavyMermaidy
08-21-2012, 10:47 AM
It's so interesting reading everyone's unique stories...I love to see the differences as well as the similarities!!

My real name is Traci, and I currently live in Florida with my husband of 4 years (plus 5 prior to our wedding, which was on Halloween) and our cat, Pumpkin. I'm originally from Ohio and have also lived in Pennsylvania and North Carolina. I'm pretty undecided and, like many on here, I have a ton of interests so I can't seem to ever settle on one thing...thankfully I've come to realize that's ok and it makes life interesting :) I did decide on 2 bachelor's degrees, one in history from Miami University (Ohio) and one in recreational therapy from Western Carolina U (in NC). I am also a trained/registered yoga instructor.

I have worked variously as a museum educator, tour guide - including driving and narrating trolley tours in St. Augustine, health food store clerk, intern (Forest Service and physical rehab in a hospital), and volunteer yoga instructor. My husband is a disabled veteran, and his benefits combined with our thrifty ways means I don't HAVE to work if I don't want to...so right now I'm going back to my first love (the ubiquitous kid career fantasy "marine biology") and volunteering at a marine science center. I am currently working with their education department...and they have just asked me to be a mermaid on their Christmas float :)

Let's see...a few random facts: I'm a vegetarian; I have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome; I love traveling; I'm pagan and am training to be a High Priestess; I love thrift stores and vintage stores and buy almost all my clothes there; I played flute and piccolo in high school and was in an award-winning marching band; my dream vehicle is a VW bus; I get way too nostalgic about places I've lived and the past in general...and as I get older (though I'm only in my very early 30's) I'm more scared of aging and death than I'd ever thought I would be (and really hate to admit it). But overall I feel like I've had a pretty charmed life and I love being alive every day :)

Edit (after actually seeing my post on the board): Oh, and I really like to write...which is why my posts always end up being way longer than expected...oh well :p

Mermaid Annariea
08-21-2012, 12:27 PM
this is so awesome. lol, i guess ill put a bit about myself in here.

my real name is brianna, i havent decided on a mermaid name yet. i thought i did, but i change my mind so much, so i figured its not the right one yet, haha.
im 19, and a summer baby (: my zodiac is cancer the crab, and apparently i attract scorpios like moths to a light bulb. my boyfriend of 5 years is a scorpio, along with most of my friends. the ones who arent scorpios tend to be cancers. its odd, really.

hmm, hobbies. i enjoy playing dungeons and dragons, a few computer games, and swimming. i dont have a tail yet, but i will soon, and that will definitely be another hobby (: i also love to draw and sing. my favorite music genres are folk metal, classical metal, & anything celtic. i also like other metal genres, and i enjoy classical music as well. i graduated from my high school in virginia in 2011, and have been travelling around since. my parents moved to california after i moved, so i went to live with my grandparents in new jersey, where i was born, to stay closer to my boyfriend (who i am fairly convinced is my soulmate). i visit him a lot, and am currently staying with him, trying to get a job so i can stay.

im terrified of driving for some reason. i havent figured out why it scares me so much, because im usually fine as a passenger, but when i get behind the wheel of a vehicle, i go into panic attacks and cry. its pretty bad. i also dont like cockroaches AT ALL, or spiders if theyre too close to me. stay up in your corner, mr.spider, and i wont mess with you. unless youre venomous. then youll die.
another one of my fears is death, and growing older. not necessarily death, but what happens afterwards. we can have all these theories, but we wont know what truly happens until we die. i guess its not knowing that scares me.

i was christian for a long time, but decided that it simply wasnt the beliefs that were meant for me, and was athiest/agnostic up until just recently, when i began looking into paganism. i still dont know exactly what i believe in, but im getting closer. i needed something more nature-oriented, where i feel the most at home and at peace.

i dont really like fish, although i do eat sushi and crab. but my favorite food is probably italian foods. oh man. all dem pastas, lol.

i want to get a job at an aquarium as a mermaid performer, but there are several things im worried about, so im too scared to try (CHICKEN, BAWKBAWK.), although id like to try modeling once i get my tail.
i also LOVE animals. my boyfriend and i have a cat named zorro, and once we get an apartment or something (we live with his dad, were only 19/20), i want to get another cat and a snake. and maybe a dog. or fish. maybe ferrets. hedgehogs? ive always wanted a horse...
... has ALL THE AMINALS!!! lol.

i think way too much about the future, and it causes me to worry a lot.
my favorite holiday is halloween, and i absolutely love getting/making/thinking of costumes to do. i start planning almost as soon as halloween is over. really, we need holidays like that once a month. it would make life so much fun, and id get to dress up more without feeling like a goofball. not like i care too much... i AM buying a mermaid tail...

anyways. thats me (: maybe ill start posting my art once i get a scanner. i really need one -_-

Mermaid Annariea
08-21-2012, 12:27 PM
BY THE GODS, THAT WAS LONG D:
sorry, guys. >.<

Jadestone
08-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Hey Brianna! I also LOVE folkmetal, it's my favorite genera! What are your favorite bands? Mine are Elvenking (older stuff more than newer), and Eluveitie, and some others. I'm also a big fan of traditional irish music, the year before last I took a class and learned to play some tunes on flute and am currently working on transitioning to pennywhistle :) I also like D&D and looove snakes... we seem like fairly similar people actually, haha.

Wow I guess I should say something else about myself here... I'm Jade! I'm a college student, I alternate between Illinois in the summers/breaks and Ohio for school. As well as the abovementioned, I enjoy biology and geology (my majors!), mythology, reading, writing, cephalopods, reptiles, and space. I also play ice hockey, tennis, and am co-captain of my college's Quidditch team. I try not to let myself play video games because I get too absorbed in them, but I bought Dragon Age this summer and am loving it so far. I also play Magic the Gathering, and alter the artwork of cards with paint for fun.
I have a tendancy to give myself projects during the summer to keep myself occupied, and so far the coolest things I've made have been giant squid/cuttlefish plushes I've already posted about, a set of movable 6ft dragon wings, and a hoodie designed to make me resemble Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon. I guess I should mention I'm even more obsessed with dragons than I am with mermaids... hehe.

Mermaid Annariea
08-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Hey Brianna! I also LOVE folkmetal, it's my favorite genera! What are your favorite bands? Mine are Elvenking (older stuff more than newer), and Eluveitie, and some others. I'm also a big fan of traditional irish music, the year before last I took a class and learned to play some tunes on flute and am currently working on transitioning to pennywhistle :) I also like D&D and looove snakes... we seem like fairly similar people actually, haha.

I LOVE ELUVEITIE!! i also really love heidevolk and arkona. you might enjoy them, theyre awesome.
tyr is a good band, as is amon amarth, but theyre more viking metal. still awesome bands.
also, i love dragons :D AAHH IM ADDING YOU RIGHT NOW.

Jadestone
08-21-2012, 07:20 PM
I LOVE ELUVEITIE!! i also really love heidevolk and arkona. you might enjoy them, theyre awesome.
tyr is a good band, as is amon amarth, but theyre more viking metal. still awesome bands.
also, i love dragons :D AAHH IM ADDING YOU RIGHT NOW.

I LOVE Tyr. They and Korpiklaani are playing in my home state 3 days after I leave for college, and by my college 2 days before I get there :( It's the WORST timing and I'm so sad about it. Do you know Ensiferum? Another of my favorites. I'm also a huuuge fan of Amon Amarth :) I lovelovelove their vocals. I don't know Heidevolk or Arkona, I will have to check them out!!

I'm actually trying to come up with a glow poi routine to the Eluveitie song Isara. For anyone who doesn't know what poi is, it's a kind of art/dance/thing that is basically spinning two balls at the ends of strings in different patterns. It originated in New Zealand and made it's way over to hawaii, where they promptly lit the balls on fire. I don't spin fire often (don't own the equipment myself) but I spin normal/glow a lot, and am in my college's circus performances when I have time :) Here's a video of someone who can spin much better than I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4NR4EXcWE&amp;feature=plcp

Alveric
08-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Just gave a listen to Elvenking on Youtube. Good stuff, reminds me of Steeleye Span, which I've been listening to for about forty years. :) (God, I'm old)

Jadestone
08-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Just gave a listen to Elvenking on Youtube. Good stuff, reminds me of Steeleye Span, which I've been listening to for about forty years. :) (God, I'm old)

I'll have to check Steeleye Span out then :) My favorite EK album is probably The Winter Wake, I feel they blended the folk, metal, and pagan-inspired elements best in that one. Wasn't a fan of their newest, Red Silent Tides, but I enjoy all their others to varying degrees.

Alveric
08-21-2012, 10:48 PM
I'll have to check those out. EK also reminds me of Jethro Tull.

Just listened to Amon Amarth, a bit harsh, but they have their moments.

Here's a good intro to Steeleye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvnvoe-jVQ4

spottedcatfish
08-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Can we get back to the thread topic?

Ok, so I'm not going to give you my name, because it's very unique, and I also don't want people (such as employers) to be able to find this post later on via Google... For those who have met me, please respect my request and keep my name to yourselves, thank you.

In real life I am 24. I am currently a student at San Diego State University, majoring in geography there with an emphasis in Natural resources and environmental sciences. I love my major. I also completed a Paralegal associates degree. So I plan to use these two degree in the environmental field, with a company that specializes in conservation and preservation of the environment, and hopefully the ocean, and it's life. I am also a native born Australian, and I moved to the United States when I was 15, to be with family who lived here. I miss Australia.

*Celine*
08-26-2012, 02:16 PM
This is a cool thread so I guess I'll join in.

My name is Celine, 23 years old, I live in Belgium and I'm a student at the KCB Brussels, studying Musical. I've done some commercials, photo shoots, semi-professional musicals and television work (nothing important though). I love drawing and designing, I have designed costumes for musicals like Honk!, Alladin, Peter Pan (the mermaids off course) and Seussical. I hope to continue with the designing while trying to become a musical performer, I love everything about the show business world (expect for the people who think they're better then all the rest) and want to keep an open mind in working in that world (like I don't just want to perform in Musicals but also television, commercials, theater, movies, etc), also I'm thinking about designing Mermaid tails I can sell to make a bit of extra money, so if you want me to design you a tail send me a PM,... I think I'll put this into a separate thread :-p.

I love animals (I have cats, geese, ducks and snakes), playing on my playstation (mostly Final Fantasy, but also Soulcalibur or Okami), dancing, singing and acting (duh :-p), designing, watching disney movies and much more... :-p

I really hope to work as a professional mermaid in Belgium, which is pretty impossible because they won't even let us swim in public pools, not anywhere, really it's sad. But also I just want to be my mermaid self and feel free when swimming in my tail because that's the feeling I get when I swim :-).

I think that's about it, check my profile :-p

roamingmer
08-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Roamingstudio is not really a mername, but is by current Internet presence. Academic wise I have a BSc in Physics, MSc in medical Physics, PhD in Electrical Stimulation for Neurorehabitation, and work as a product manager and technical developer in the field of Low Back Pain. I also trained as a Fitness Instructor. Life wise I'm on long quest to better understand who I am, having been told, and expected to be, someone else for too long. Recently I have been told I have a strong 'empathy' and 'intuitive' feeling and could be a Shaman - certainly I have a strong affinity to earth, sea, water and mountains. And animals. I have know for many years that I am different, and generally prefer sitting with a camera overlooking Grand Canyon (or sea or mountains or views) than participating in groups. However we all learn to come out of our shells at some point, and it is never too late.I enjoy my work even if it takes up too much time (workaholic) and cycle, run and swim whenever I can. The mer-part of me is finally being allowed to live.I'm also always happy and willing to help guide others on their creative endeavors. I live near Zurich but am originally English, speak some German and French (enough to get by) and miss the desolate wilderness of our planet.

roamingmer
08-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Forgot to mention that I tend to walk barefoot. A lot (although frowned upon In USA). And webbed toes means that I can't wear five-toe-shoes. I have hyperflexability in most of my joints, except back and hamstrings which are chronically shortened to keep pelvis and back stable. Something to work on.

Patches
09-04-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm 19 and I go to school in South FL. I'm a sophomore and currently majoring in Marine Biology. (seems pretty cliche because of the forum I'm posting this in but oh wells) I didn't know what else to choose as a major because nothing interests me. I told my dad when I was 5 that that's what I wanted to be when I grow up so I figure I'll go for it. I've had the name RayeBlonde for a really long time. (6 ish years? Idk) I've kept it because it's unique and I feel like it just sticks to me. I will more than likely use it as my mername. I am a teal mermaid (with hints of hot pink and purple). I do not have a tail yet because I want to just save up for a silicone one. I have had plenty of options to get a fabric tail but I really want a performance tail as my first. My boyfriend calls me 'patches' and I also go by Wolfie. Half the time I'm a mermaid and the other half I am a wolf. >.< I love art. I SUCK at drawing though so I do 3D instead. I like doing glasswork like the mosaic I did or glass fusing (photo attached). 6006 I really wanna try my hand at glassblowing some day. I love modeling, too, although I don't really have any professional pictures right now but if you have a MM account add me! http://www.modelmayhem.com/2727523 (http://www.modelmayhem.com/2727523)
My interests include but are not limited to: cosplaying/costumes, the beach, mermaids, mermaiding, collecting shells, shopping, go go dancing (although I still need A LOT of training), all types of animals, art, longboarding, raves, electronic music, FLUFFY THINGS, LGBT, fetish, cybergoth, EGL, latex, pvc, vampires, and werewolves. I'm really nerdy and kind of in the closet about a lot of the things I like... (My bf and close friends joke that I'm a furry but I don't know if I consider myself one or not) It's not that I care what people think, I just don't see the point of discussing it with someone if they don't share the common interest.

Mermaid Harmony
09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm actually trying to come up with a glow poi routine to the Eluveitie song Isara. For anyone who doesn't know what poi is, it's a kind of art/dance/thing that is basically spinning two balls at the ends of strings in different patterns. It originated in New Zealand and made it's way over to hawaii, where they promptly lit the balls on fire. I don't spin fire often (don't own the equipment myself) but I spin normal/glow a lot, and am in my college's circus performances when I have time :) Here's a video of someone who can spin much better than I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4NR4EXcWE&amp;feature=plcp

Jadestone!!
Yay poi! I also poi with my Sircus, called "Sissy's Sircus" in Iowa, a burlesque troupe I helped to found. My name is Aj, and I'm trying to figure out my mermaid name, I had a list and then I've slowly found other mers with those names so my list is down to like 2 or 3, I figure I'll decide and it'll dawn on me once I slither into my tail for the first time (which will be in 3 months, way stoked!). I graduated college a year and a half ago from UNI in Iowa with a major in Theatre for Youth. Right now I travel and teach, I went to Africa for 6 months, and China for a month, and now I'm heading off to Hawaii for 3-6 years because my husband is in the Air Force and we just got placed there (I'm fairly sure they know about me being a mer and decided we would do best in Hawaii). I would love to work for an after school program teaching art and theatre and whatever else, and then work with ocean conservation, or at a day care, and then do mermaiding on the weekend! Other than that I love dancing, poi, singing, signing, and traveling!

Little_Orca
09-05-2012, 12:39 PM
When I am not a mermaid, I am Rapunzel!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/559231_10100370720679778_1294585657_n.jpg

... or a unicorn!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/37221_689243772988_3171093_n.jpg

... or a bellydancing jellyfish!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/223109_827497266878_4621838_n.jpg

... Or just a normal person with a master's degree in Art Therapy Counseling who likes to make many different things, devotes her time to her hair goals, wishes she had more space to do more art, really needs to get a replacement string for her harp, and really wants a job.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/521419_10100346043358328_108706985_n.jpg http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/314094_924904012978_436867804_n.jpg

Jadestone
09-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Jadestone!!
Yay poi! I also poi with my Sircus, called "Sissy's Sircus" in Iowa, a burlesque troupe I helped to found. My name is Aj, and I'm trying to figure out my mermaid name, I had a list and then I've slowly found other mers with those names so my list is down to like 2 or 3, I figure I'll decide and it'll dawn on me once I slither into my tail for the first time (which will be in 3 months, way stoked!). I graduated college a year and a half ago from UNI in Iowa with a major in Theatre for Youth. Right now I travel and teach, I went to Africa for 6 months, and China for a month, and now I'm heading off to Hawaii for 3-6 years because my husband is in the Air Force and we just got placed there (I'm fairly sure they know about me being a mer and decided we would do best in Hawaii). I would love to work for an after school program teaching art and theatre and whatever else, and then work with ocean conservation, or at a day care, and then do mermaiding on the weekend! Other than that I love dancing, poi, singing, signing, and traveling!

Awesome!! Nice to see someone else who spins :) I've only ever done one performance, in a group, with my school's circus but I think I might attempt a solo glow poi routine this year if I have time. Eep!

And LittleOrca, that Rapunzel costume is amazing!

telzey.amberdon
09-23-2012, 12:41 PM
When human, I have a hammer and paint brush. I can't believe how accomplished with crafts you all are. And how good looking all the mers are.

sweetlilbonbon
10-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Im working as a makeup and special effects artist. I've been the lead MUA on a couple of music videos recently, am a makeup artist for French cosmetics brand Lancome and I'm basically working my butt off to get onto the next Hobbit movie. I have a degree in Philosophy and World Religion, a Grad diploma in journalism and a diploma in production design and sculpting :) In my free time I like to play music, draw, socialise and plan my next photoshoot :)

sweetlilbonbon
10-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh, and my real name is Bonnie :)

Mermaid Caidence
10-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi I'm Caitlin and I'm amost 15. I am in ninth grade and live in Vancouver Island. My hobbies are mostly about mermaids, but I have a lot of different ones. I love singing, drawings, anything crafty, making youtube videos ( Most viewed has over 700,00 views) I'm starting with making jewlery, and I hope to be able to do some things with silicone in the future. I wish I could model a little bit. I have two amazing guinea pigs named Tabby and Coco. They each have a C and C cage. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some fish tanks set up soon. I think my mermaid name will be Serinessa. :)
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h387/_Caitey_/intropix588_zps332dbb31.jpg
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h387/_Caitey_/photo_zpsa0166328.jpg

Elle
10-11-2012, 09:34 PM
My name is Elle. I'm 24 and a nursing student. I live with my fiance and his son, who I've spent the last 4 years being mum to (he's 5).
I like making things; sculptures, food (particularly chocolaty treats) and costumes. Most have been zombie related, with some vampire and x-men thrown into the mix.
I'm addicted to my Xbox

Mermaid Margarete
10-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow! This has certainly been an entertaining thread to read!

When I'm not a mermaid I'm a 25 y/o human named Jina - tho if you were in my 8th grade math class you'd probably know me by Cheater (cause a fellow-stupid-student thought I was cheating by checking my work with the answers in the back... you know... like you're supposed to do?) OR if you were in my 7th grade health class Va-jina... yeah... that happened.

I work a 9-6 day job that I have cause unfortunately I need a day job. I moved around a few times as a toddler but my parents have lived in the same house now for 21 years. With the intent of becoming an orthodontist I went to a local college at the age of 16, got my Associates of Science (Physics and Chemistry) and then moved to Hawaii to get my Bach. of Arts (Majoring in Hawaiian Culture) and instead of going to dental school after that I "ran away" to Australia to be with a boy I met on the Internet.

That lasted for 2 years. Moved back in with my parents (moving countries -twice- is expensive and starting your life over twice is even more exhausting...) I've had a large number of jobs - if I were to use my entire resume when applying for jobs I'd never get hired cause I usually only work for a place for about 6 months XD I get bored and I hate it when I'm not challenged. Monotony is the bane of existence. My two favorite jobs so far have been being a kitchen designer and a paintball referee (I worked both at the same time while living in Australia =D). I also really enjoy being a promo model - which leads us to hobbies.

In my spare time I do ballet, swim, model, gogo dance, cosplay and go on crazy, fun adventures (One of my friends has nicknamed me "Jina Amazon Queen of Adventure"). This year alone I've gone zip lining, running around in a zorb ball, created 7 costumes, attended two large conventions, crashed a million dollar party and tried out rope suspension! I've shot with 30 + photographers and have been in like 15 runways. My biggest accomplishment is being on a bus ad!! Tho I just very recently decided I needed to separate my model life from my personal life and created a facebook page. Before all my modeling pictures were on my personal page... so I have like 3k tagged photos of me XD

I've been single for the past year and a half cause I'm just done dating boys. I've had my heart broken one too many times and I'm super jaded and just need my prince to come along and sweep me off my feet cause otherwise he doesn't have a prayer XD

Mermaid Margarete
10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Oh yes - I also like to write XD

MermaidBrittany
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Hey :) My names Brittany and I am a Senior in high school. I play the french horn in my high school band and take AP classes. I am also really involved with my community and participate in two different Relays for life, one of which I am captain (my grandmother died of pancreatic cancer). I have been in Camp Fire since I was in kindergarten (if anyone knows what that is! (:) I Love reading, although I dont seem to have enough time for it anymore :/ I also travel a lot since my family gets free flights, I am so lucky!

Next year I would love to get into WWU and start down the path of Majoring in Marine Biology!

Mermaid Kiba
11-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Prepare yourselves for a long post!

My parents named me Kimberly, my sister named me Kiba, and I'm 31. I live in Durham, NC, USA.

I've been a singer my whole life but only actually started taking lessons in the past couple of years. When I was in high school, I did a lot of community theatre and some school shows. Now I only do 2 shows a year usually (one Gilbert & Sullivan operetta and one straight play) but I'm on the boards of the producing organizations.

I went to college at UNC-Chapel Hill and majored in Classics (Latin) and Dramatic Art, then got a Master of Arts in Teaching and was a Latin teacher for 5 years. Then I went back to school (UNC again) to become a school librarian. While I was in library school I worked for LEARN NC (http://www.learnnc.org), a website/network for teachers that the UNC School of Education sponsors. I was a school librarian at two middle schools for a year, but when my supervisor at LEARN NC took a job in the university library, I applied for her job at LEARN NC and got it, so now I'm the managing editor of LEARN NC.

Cross-stitch is my first crafty love, but I also enjoy crochet and have dabbled in quite a few others, including freezer paper stencils and making polymer clay horns.

I enjoy playing video games, especially RPGs like the Final Fantasy series, as well as puzzle games. I like watching other people play Survival Horror games but they're too intense for me to play much.

My favorite thing ever is probably The Phantom of the Opera. But I'm also immensely enamored of the works of Joss Whedon, especially Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. In May of 2000 I started posting at the official Buffy posting board (it was closed down in 2002 when the show moved from the WB to UPN). I got to go to 3 big parties in LA for posting board members, and that posting board (called The Bronze) is where I made some of my closest friends in the whole world. Emotionally. Not geographically as much. I started the big campaign to save Firefly (it was called Firefly: Immediate Assistance), which actually burned me out on fandom for a while because that was exhausting and while we did get the Serenity movie, I don't really feel like that came about because of our campaign. In any case, Whedon fandom is my heart's true home in many ways - but I'm so excited to be here among the mermaids!

SireiaStrange
02-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Indialanta, that's amazing! I absolutely adore The Phantom of the Opera as well (book, musical, story, everything), and I'm also a diehard Browncoat. Lovely to meet the lady who started the Firefly campaign, and kudos :D

Funnily enough, outside of feeling like a mermaid, I am a circus & fire performer, as well as an event photographer!

Mermaid Caspiana
03-28-2013, 10:43 PM
I am a student just finishing middle school and planning for high school. I am also a writer writing my first book. I am a jewelry maker and working on making my businesses as a mermaid performer, tail designer (drawings), and accessory maker. I play volleyball and occasionally soccer. And I am running my last year of track this year, because next year i am going to swimming. I love reading, writing, swimming, gardening, biking, fishing, and basically anything outdoors, including the zoo, camping, and the beach which i love but hate the year long wait in between each visit, but i guess that is what makes it special. ;) I also am an artist in my free time, along with doing stuff with my friends and family. I am scheduled for all honors next year and 2 classes for the grade level up. In my future i plan on marine biology. :)

Mermaid Caspiana
03-28-2013, 10:55 PM
I forgot to mention i am very into musicals like phantom of the opera, les miz, cats, and greece. I plan on being in our school drama program, and am currently in our chamber ensamble, and advanced choir that goes to competitions. ;) Love singing and dancing as well. :)

SeaGlass Siren
03-29-2013, 10:17 AM
I forgot to mention i am very into musicals like phantom of the opera, les miz, cats, and greece. I plan on being in our school drama program, and am currently in our chamber ensamble, and advanced choir that goes to competitions. ;) Love singing and dancing as well. :)

THE PHANTOMMMMMMM!!!!!

*cough*

While i am not a mermaid, i also fangirl over the Phantom of the Opera (read the phantom, see many movies and versions of phantom of the opera, watch andrew lloyd webber's musical verison of Phantom, watch shows inspired by the phantom....) I am a theatre girl by heart and i love to see stage productions and compare movies to stage productions.. also comparing books and movies to each other.. and movie remakes to original movies.. and children's stories with new movies.. (like hansel and gretel, and jack the giant slayer... and alice in wonderland.. )

I am a sucker for fashion and modeling.. it is my guilty pleasure.

i also love me a little music. ... showtunes, metal, oldschool r&b, oldschool rap, classic disney soundtracks...

I do some art in my spare time. designing.. currently drawing up a theoretical dream house for a friend of mine.

I do very little cooking... i only like making finger food and breakfasts :P

I work in an office right now doing administrative tasks like billing, warehouse inventory, accounting... but really thats just fancy lingo for "secretary" :P

I watch a lot of crime shows.. CSI (currently stopped, but i watch old reruns of csi las vegas), Mystery Detectives, Murder by the book...
currently reading assassin's creed novels since i can't play the videogame due to motion sickness :(

AAND thats about it :P

SeaGlass Siren
03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
THE PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTOM OF THE OPERAAAA!!!

Rain
03-29-2013, 04:43 PM
THE PHANTOMMMMMMM!!!!!

*cough*

While i am not a mermaid, i also fangirl over the Phantom of the Opera (read the phantom, see many movies and versions of phantom of the opera, watch andrew lloyd webber's musical verison of Phantom, watch shows inspired by the phantom....) I am a theatre girl by heart and i love to see stage productions and compare movies to stage productions.. also comparing books and movies to each other.. and movie remakes to original movies.. and children's stories with new movies.. (like hansel and gretel, and jack the giant slayer... and alice in wonderland.. )

i also love me a little music. ... showtunes, metal, oldschool r&b, oldschool rap, classic disney soundtracks...

I do some art in my spare time. designing.. currently drawing up a theoretical dream house for a friend of mine.

I work in an office right now doing administrative tasks like billing, warehouse inventory, accounting... but really thats just fancy lingo for "secretary" :P

I watch a lot of crime shows.. CSI (currently stopped, but i watch old reruns of csi las vegas), Mystery Detectives, Murder by the book...
currently reading assassin's creed novels since i can't play the videogame due to motion sickness :(

I'm guessing you'd like the sequel Andrew made to the Phantom of the Opera. It's called Love Never Dies.

SeaGlass Siren
03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
No. I HATED that sequel. I SPURN IT LIKE I WOULD SPURN A RABID BULLSHARK.

SeaGlass Siren
03-30-2013, 09:19 PM
One, Erik is not that stupid to allow Meg Giry to whore herself, especially when in the novel he took care of her and her mother. (Refering to the books. this sequel is supposed to be inspired by Phantom of Manhattan... which is f---ing random?? and is also a fanfic sequel to original book version of POTO where he gives money to support her and her mother.)

I PERSONALLY THINK HE SHOULD DONE A PREQUEL (when Erik was just a wee boy and becoming a man) INSTEAD OF A SEQUEL (when somehow christine finds the time to have sex with him and have his kid the night of her wedding.)

I love the cast, no problems with the acting or the singing. i love how it used snippets of the old phantom musical..

I hated the lyrics and script... it just seems forced and repetitive.

Also, the song "love never dies" was supposed to be used for another musical that got scrapped. :| k i'm done ranting ;__;

Mermaid Caspiana
03-30-2013, 09:30 PM
THE PHANTOMMMMMMM!!!!!

*cough*

Nice. You'd probably like Castle then. :) on abc.

Traveling Merman
03-30-2013, 09:44 PM
You'll all hate me for this but phantom is musically the most boring musical! Lloyd webber stole half of the music from classical composers he didn't even rework them he just copy and pasted,
the music he actually wrote is so boring and safe it's laughable hence why when he wrote love never dies (paint never dries) it fell on its arse! As it was all his on work! And wasn't saves by other music that he's pilfered and borrowed.

Come on guys lets celebrate a REAL composer who's actually talented! Like Andrew Lippa, William Finn, Stephen Sondheim, Stiles and Drew, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Scott Alan, and many more! there's loads out there to pick from, and write music that's actually original, creative and strays from the easy listening pop norm chords of C F & G!

Anyway to end on an analogy; I can lead you to water, but I can't make you drink!

Peace. Love. Dinosaurs.

SeaGlass Siren
03-30-2013, 09:48 PM
eh i cant say about his other works lol. i'm staying in my phantom bubble :P

SeaGlass Siren
03-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Nice. You'd probably like Castle then. :) on abc.

i kinda want to watch 'Bones' and 'the following' too ;__;

MermaidBrittany
03-31-2013, 02:13 AM
Oh LOVE Phantom! We did that at my High School for my sophomore year, and I was in the pit so I got to see it 20+ times! Ahh it was amazing! We had such talented performers :P

dandy113
09-19-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm seeing a lot of PoTO posts so...

My name is Ashley, I'm a high school senior who's being weighted down by the too-many-APs-she-not-so-wisely-decided-to-take. I currently live in Northern California by the Bay Area. I'm not very active in my community, although my mom is, but I have participated in several local events and I do volunteer from time to time(Relay for Life, local theater productions, movie premiers, concerts, food banks). I plan on going to college near the Great Lakes to study (dun dun dun) FINANCE (or something related to stats maybe)! I'm not very confident in my science or math skills, but here I am, looking to do more math. I struggled in it all throughout middle school although I was in a GATE class for math in elementary school.

I've taken 6 years of art, 5 years of piano, and 6 years of guitar, but I have no interest in pursuing a "creative" career (it's fun, but it's just not for me). I obviously like mermaids (and mythology, huge mythology geek here), but I'm scared of deep water. Despite that I've also done several years of swimming, but I quit because of that fear of deep water.

I'm also a huge PoTO fan (although the movie kind of fell flat for me, because SERIOUSLY, GERARD BUTLER CANNOT SING), and let me just say THAT SEQUEL SUCKED BUTT. ALKJFLAKSFJLASFKJ WE DO NOT MENTION THE SEQUEL.

Coradion
10-07-2013, 02:49 AM
When I'm not a mer, I'm a marine biologist at UH Manoa and model for AnF and its affiliates as well as whoever my agency happens to book me with.

Echidna
10-07-2013, 03:42 AM
You'll all hate me for this but phantom is musically the most boring musical! Lloyd webber stole half of the music from classical composers he didn't even rework them he just copy and pasted,

Could you point out a few examples?
I know every note of the phantom by heart, and I'm quite familiar with many classical composers,
but I seriously don't know where all the copy-pasta is supposed to be/come from.

It would seriously make me re-think my opinion of Mr Webber, even though there were quite a few nice tunes in Cats.

spottedcatfish
10-23-2013, 03:21 AM
When I'm not a Mer:

I'm currently attending my last year at San Diego State, as a Geography major.

My hobbies include:
-snorkeling / swimming at La Jolla Shores and Cove.
- swimming in general
- Geocaching
- Church events/ services

annd a few games of MtG when I have the time... I just got started with it. (nerdy mermaid here) :p:mermaid kiss:

That's about it!

WillowAnne
10-29-2013, 08:07 PM
When I'm not a mer, I teach English to 10th and 11th graders... but I also decorate cookies! Like, REALLY decorate them. Haha. This is what funds my mermaid obsession! Below are some of the cookies that I've made (If you click the picture it will take you to my flickr photostream). Hopefully the pictures show up!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/7921617654_37502c9455_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/7921617654/)
100_3044 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/7921617654/) by sugarcranecookies (http://www.flickr.com/people/sugarcranecookies/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8297/7921644318_f1bd977135_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/7921644318/)
100_2996 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/7921644318/) by sugarcranecookies (http://www.flickr.com/people/sugarcranecookies/), on Flickr
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8447/7921665152_fc60d03e56_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/7921665152/)
100_2888 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/7921665152/) by sugarcranecookies (http://www.flickr.com/people/sugarcranecookies/), on Flickr
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5451/6934763834_49eaf5224e_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/6934763834/)
Elegant designs in black and white (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/6934763834/) by sugarcranecookies (http://www.flickr.com/people/sugarcranecookies/), on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7135/7072087855_45b290282b_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/7072087855/)
Hunger Games (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/7072087855/) by sugarcranecookies (http://www.flickr.com/people/sugarcranecookies/), on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7175/6826831859_3dffb738d4_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/6826831859/)
Gold Koi cookie (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarcranecookies/6826831859/) by sugarcranecookies (http://www.flickr.com/people/sugarcranecookies/), on Flickr

SeaSister
10-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Oooh awesome cookies, WillowAnne! Now I'm hungry. >.<

When I'm not ogling at any and all mermaiding-related stuff that I can find, I'm a student. Or, at least, 2% student, 98% procrastination (such as right now, heh). It's something I struggle with a lot, but I know I need to get a degree and I know that I'd rather have it in the next couple of years rather than the next 5 - 10 years. -sigh- oh well.

I also work as a server at an Indian restaurant (I LOVE Indian food) part-time. Just two or three shifts a week while I'm going to school. I've also signed up for a swimming class because, while I'm struggling to put away a few extra pennies for a tail fund, I decided I need to get in shape and improve my breath hold. So, swimming classes, ha. Also, I sometimes help out my art teacher with teaching art classes for kids, which I adore! So much fun. I also have a passion for writing. I've had a a couple of ideas for mer-related novels recently, but they're in the early stages... one of them is just a rough summary/outline and for the other I'm about half-way through the first chapter. I hope I can commit myself to finishing them, but I know what a struggle it is to write a novel.

Hm, other than that my life isn't very interesting. I'm actually quite lonely, as I've drifted away from most of my old highschool friends, and my one best friend is going to school far away from me. Sad. :(
So I'm hoping to make some more friends... if anyone is interested in chatting, just send me a message! That's all for me. :)

spottedcatfish
11-01-2013, 06:05 AM
You are all soo CREATIVE!! I love it!

Elle
11-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Just thought I'd share this all with you! Seeing as this is the most recent non mer thing I've done. This is from my wedding on the 26th of October, our first dance :)

http://youtu.be/nNdXQeVFFls

AniaR
11-01-2013, 09:47 PM
BEAUTIFUL ELLE!!! :D

toasterslinger
11-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Well, I generally like to animate and write stories (and am currently working on a big one)... and when I'm not doing that, I'm usually gaming.

JamesGunnels
11-03-2013, 01:39 AM
So, when I am not making tails or anything artsy, I'm an amateur linguist. I currently speak 3 languages fluently and 2 semi-fluenty. I have recently volunteered to teach/tutor students who are interested in or already learning German. I am a self-taught linguist. I have never left the continent. I am American born but raised in Montréal, Canada. My first language was Québécois, but after we moved back to the US I kind of left it behind in Canada, at least that is what it seems, as I do not speak it as well as I wish I had.

I do a lot of homemade cooking, mostly pizzas and pastas, but I have recently been dabbling with Indian food :D

SeaSister
11-03-2013, 03:23 AM
^ super jealous of this guy right here. I'm trying to learn just ONE other language and it's a slow process. Especially since I'm so anxious to master it and then learn another language. Or two, heh.

JamesGunnels
11-03-2013, 06:26 PM
When I'm not a Mer:

I'm currently attending my last year at San Diego State, as a Geography major.

My hobbies include:
-snorkeling / swimming at La Jolla Shores and Cove.
- swimming in general
- Geocaching
- Church events/ services

annd a few games of MtG when I have the time... I just got started with it. (nerdy mermaid here) :p:mermaid kiss:

That's about it!

I love La Jolla Shore!!!!!! I used to live in San Diego. I miss Fashion Valley and Mission Beach...and the weather...yep, definitely the weather.

sashiyoop
11-20-2013, 08:46 PM
My human name is Brittany, and I'm an overworked high school student who has no idea what she wants to do with her life :/

I enjoy reading and writing, drawing, and lacrosse.

Prince Calypso
11-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Human Name Kris.
I'm a college student in Bakersfield California.
I'm a witch and an aspiring writer and artist I'm studying to be a Therapist
I'm also kinda a furry, only in the regards that i like the artwork and aspects of the community and the suits but do not own one of my own nor considermyself an animal of any kind.
I'm also a Brony and damn proud of it.
I'm not as interesting as some of you guys though
my dream is to become a writer and have my own fashion line

Mermaid Momo
11-21-2013, 08:18 AM
My Human name is Laronda I'm a high school student who's freaking out over going to college next fall. I tend to draw, sew, read (I love the brothers Grimm...the dark ones lol. An mythology books) I'm studying japanese and elvish on my own sinc my school doesn't offer it. I don't ge outing since there isn't much to do in our little town. I mostly go out to pick up my comics and go to geeky parties. I'm also a cosplayer (working on a kid Loki now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LittlePolly
11-21-2013, 09:22 AM
My name is Polly. I am 16 years old and I am going to High school. Last year I graduated from Vmbo-T (middle school) and this year I'm doing 4 Havo (high school). After I graduate next year I really want to go to the dutch acting academie in Maastricht (Toneelacademie Maastricht). My hobbies are acting (stage play and film) singing and I do voluntary work at our local scout group. I also work in a little supermarket in our village. I have got a lovley boyfriend who really helps and supports me. Next year he's going to the Dutch military Tech Base so I hope that we can spent a little extra time together by making my silicone mermaid tail. so that's pretty much my life at this moment. :P

Ashton
12-19-2013, 04:56 PM
When I am not a mer I try to be human. I just graduated college from OTIS in May. I now have a bachelors in fine arts. Good skills I've learned or tail making! I work events and banquets (mostly weddings, I've worked over 200+ weddings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Ashton
12-19-2013, 05:45 PM
When I am not a mer I try to be human. I just graduated college from OTIS in May. I now have a bachelors in fine arts. Good skills I've learned or tail making! I work events and banquets (mostly weddings, I've worked over 200+ weddings).
I swim and in the warmer months I free dive. I have a cert as a lifeguard, swim instructor, and scuba. I am open to my coworkers about being a mermaid- they just think its a joke tho.
I use to cosplay alot but now I just make costumes for others when I have free time.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Seatan
12-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Huh, I never did this! When I am not a mer, my name is Michelle and I teach 9th and 12th grade English in the Dallas Texas area. I am openly a mermaid to my co-workers (which everyone finds cool) and my classroom is covered in ocean stuff, including Finding Nemo, Blackfish, and Little Mermaid movie size posters! I am a huge geek who loves my Netflix. I used to be VERY active in fandom and have written several novel length fanfics in the White Collar, Harry Potter, and Glee fandoms, but I have moved away from fandom as I cannot stand the online drama. I still love going to every convention possible, though, mostly because I love to dress up! I have been known to dress as a unicorn horned fairy just to go out to eat! I do archery (I shoot a recurve bow, not a compound), but it's just for fun; I don't hunt. I also ride horses, mostly English but some Western. I used to work with intellectually disabled kids, and that is still where my heart is, but this job pays better! I took up SCUBA diving not too terribly long ago and have become addicted--I am going on my first blue water trip this summer--goodbye Texas lakes, hello paradise! I am also single (except for my two dogs and two pet snakes!), so any fintastic mermen in the Texas area are welcome to swim my way... ;P

Anyhoo, that's me when I'm not under the sea!

Mermaid Melanie
12-20-2013, 10:35 PM
this is cool never seen this thread before - kinda like super heroes revealing their "normal life" lol When I'm not a mer I work as a diving instructor and more fun than that I work in Tv , Film, Events - so I get to dress up a lot and get my hair and make up done which is nice ! especially since its always beach hair I have... nice to feel prettied up ! Also love to hoop dance - its worked wonders for my figure recently ! as often as I can Ill head to the beach and hoop my heart out ! I guess I'm a person who gets bored very easily cause I took up playing Violin, doing yoga, going to the gym, I teach Pole Fitness too - just want to try everything I guess ! anyhow heres some media stuff for the visuals :D -

This was from the Phuket Carnaval Launch Party at Xana Beach Club

Pole Fitness Class with my star student Jana !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U-S5UiT0Rk

Yulia
12-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I was in this music video that was filmed in the beginning of june, and was released a while ago!
I'm the girl with cyberlox. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bamSBPYS314

Mermaid Oshun
12-22-2013, 03:42 AM
I was in this music video that was filmed in the beginning of june, and was released a while ago!
I'm the girl with cyberlox. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bamSBPYS314
you rock Yulia!

AniaR
12-22-2013, 03:49 AM
I clearly need to redo this everyone wrote great big things and I looked back and realized I uncharacteristically wrote like 2 sentences lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Vixy
12-24-2013, 03:38 PM
I do quite a bit of things and will be starting more next year.

I larp, from fantasy to scifi and to horror. I do Lorien Trust and a few smaller larps mostly I crew the smaller ones, I quite like crewing larps. Next year I hope to start photographing various larps too.

I reenact, I'm in a medieval group training to be a fighter. At the moment I'm training in axe and a knife but hope to learn various other weaponry. I'm also starting in a WW2 group where I hope to get an ATS uniform and a nurses uniform. I'm also a newbie for the SCA, hopefully have a tudor dress and maybe a viking dress one day.

I sing in a sea shanty group, who happen to dress like pirates. We do it for charity, and it's been amazing fun. For other charity work I'm a fledgling member for the 501st Legion where I'm planning on Darth Nilihus, maybe one day a Jedi.

I'm also a furry :P and a massive gamer.

Well that's all for now, I'm sure end of next year I'll be adding new interests and hobbies to my list of things.

AniaR
12-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Okay, I wanted to re-do mine :) because you all put in so much work

Sometimes, when I'm not a Mer. I'm a teacher. Teaching work is scarce around here, so it's not an *always* thing. I don't usually tell my students I'm a mermaid until the last day of classes, because depending on the school it can become a conflict of interest. Here's a grade 5 class of mine from a few years ago finding out I'm a mermaid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZyXIEEA2g8

I also love Karaoke... haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZU6sNPSLY

I play the sims 3 a lot, though it's so buggy these days I've sort of given up. I bought the expansion with mermaids and it's pretty much unusable
https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/156318_10150368064840425_2989521_a.jpg?lvh=1

I play guitar and sing, I've been in bands, and before mermaiding took off for me, it was my life. I admittedly don't have much time for it these days and miss it a lot. But it's hard to do mermaid gigs during the day and music gigs at night.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/6332_243410515424_6426739_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/239_54930265424_2382_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/239_48257740424_6826_n.jpg

I've also done artistic and commercial modelling for a decade now. (which freaks me out when I think about how long it's been!) a lot of modelling I do currently ends up being mermaid related, but I tend to get in 1 commercial shoot and 1 art shoot at least a year that's not mermaid related. Again, once mermaiding took over my life this stuff sorta got pushed to the back. But i'm proud of all I've accomplished and have quite a few publications under my belt :)
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/188_37414330424_5543_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/143_28963385424_5693_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/357_103353500424_5028_n.jpg

I also do professional photography. I sell prints and stock online, and do the occasional wedding and family portraits etc. Haha and you guessed it! I don't get to do it as much because I'm so busy as a mermaid, but here's a few shots! I've been at it for a decade and I actually started with film, so there's a mix of film and digital here
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/426737_337197902981626_1892927016_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/423870_337197979648285_9600233_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/426182_337198279648255_1622192620_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/428132_337198799648203_1473501186_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/401429_337199046314845_2076742102_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/423350_337199089648174_986482650_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/421323_368717233163026_473887186_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/426068_370546936313389_1028486490_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/425252_369605096407573_767179145_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/480014_371169159584500_32360573_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/544487_384762148225201_104665551_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/399749_483299235038158_550834223_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/21017_577624998938914_2142224708_n.jpg

Honestly, I wish I could say I had a life outside of being a mermaid but it has sorta taken over every aspect of mine, haha. Which I'm totally okay with for now ;)

Mermaid Oshun
12-27-2013, 09:18 AM
the clip with your students was so amazing! I know they will all love YOU from now on! :D

Seatan
12-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Oh man I am so jealous. Little kids are so fantastic. I mention sometimes to my high schoolers that I have a mermaid tail, but I wouldn't dare show them a video. It is so hard to keep high schoolers under control these days (I don't know how it is in Canada, but in America kids at good schools tell teachers to fuck off and try to publically humiliate them in class and nothing happens. We have to allow them as many chances as it takes to makeup failed work and there is no form of punishment that makes an impact. I am afraid if I ever showed them my mermaid side that I would either lose respect of be sexualized by the teenaged boys (who already do this to all young pretty teachers). I wouldn't really want to teach elementary, but I am jealous of their innocence and the way they get so excited over things.

Mermaid Adriel
12-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I wish you were my teacher, Raina :)

Mermaid Muir
01-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I am a student. I do some volunteering at a local botanical gardens and spend a lot of time exploring my city. I actually force myself to get lost because then I find I discover things that are not on the main drive like my towns first fire station. I also spend a lot of time working on cosplay related stuff and things relating to science and transportation and mermaids. And of course I spend time on various forums dedicated to various subjects

Azurin Luna
04-21-2014, 02:01 PM
When I'm not a mer I'm a faun :D

Mermaid Jessica Pearl
04-22-2014, 10:11 AM
I have a degree in Contemporary Art (Majoring in Visual Art and Photography). I am an artist and do a bit of everything. I used to prefer to do conceptual gallery stuff but I recently started painting mermaid themed things and people are buying them! Now I'm dabbling a bit more in performance. Mostly paint and sculpt but also do textile work.

Mermaid Amelia and I met doing the same degree and this is how we started to do mermaidy stuff together! And now we are a duo!

I also work in the Theatre as an Usher. I get to meet lots of creatives, dancers, performers, musicians, actors etc. It is an old style edwardian theatre that is over 100 years old so it is so beautiful to work there. I get to watch the ballets and the opera. It is wonderful.

And now being a mermaid is starting to become my job too! And being in the theatre, a mermaid and an artist seem to go so well together. Things are really coming together for me after a couple of years of struggling with my health!

So glad I found mermaiding and so glad I found this forum!

I also do a bit of cosplay and steampunky stuff ;)

Little_Orca
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
When I am not a mermaid? What do you mean? I am always a mermaid. I am very adept at wearing a human costume... is that what you are looking for? Well, I wont get into my human-leg costume business, as I am going to start selling legs to mermaid so they can blend in easier and achieve their dreams of being "Part of Your World," but I will share other things about myself.

Really though, this is just a better and more complete answer than I gave before:

I have my master's degree in Art Therapy Counseling. I graduated from grad school in 2012 and have been since working at a locked 16-bed crisis unit for persons with mental illness (they come to use due to wanting to kill themselves or having been off their medications and being unable to pay for them due to various reasons. We patch them up and send them out connected to resources in the community to help them be stable again.) While the work is something that gets me praise and can be fulfilling, I do not think that it is really for me. I have considered going back to school for graphic design, but I already have the bachelor's in Fine Arts, though my focus was painting. Either way, I'm a little lost in that area and floundering.

I like to attend Anime / Video Game conventions. I cosplay, and my two main costumes at the moment are Rapunzel (https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/397502_10100872359795968_1158110168_n.jpg) and Elizabeth (https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/q89/s720x720/485503_10100876762537838_1708127375_n.jpg) from Bioshock Infinite. I am working on a third costume, Elizabeth in her blue and corset dress. I am hoping to wear that one to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this year. Really, any excuse I can get to dress up I will take.

I enjoy making costumes (though the Elizabeth one I bought as I try to also support other artists out there), and I have a habit of making expensive things for the sake of "Oooh! I want that!" then being offered money to make additional ones and being like "Nope." I really need to say yes one of these days. Case-in-point: My Rapunzel Tiara (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqGC6p4K0Wg&list=PLDF80A16E2F1EC9EC) and my Magic Flower (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8yYiiANRgo&list=PLDF80A16E2F1EC9EC).

Which is a perfect segway into my (unhealthy) collection of Rapunzel items. I don't run out and buy everything that has Rapunzel's face on it, but I do have some things that are more hard to find or interesting. I have both the Tonner dolls (Rapunzel (http://www.tonnerdoll.com/disney-princesses/rapunzel)and Tangled (http://www.tonnerdoll.com/disney-princesses/tangled),) all three 17 inch collector's dolls (including Mother Gothel (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M4nLNdCkolw/TZU-OPGkwpI/AAAAAAAABaw/CLyXknjzQeg/s1600/DSC_0139.JPG) and 2 versions of the wedding doll; one to keep as is for collector purposes and one to reroot her hair and fix that ghastly haircut,), the three design dolls, and some dolls I have 2 copies of because I got the European box sets that were different in product and box design. Let's not get started on the pins... oh, all those Rapunzel pins... I actually have a blog all about this stuff, which is in need up updating.

I love being crafty and making things, as if you could not guess. I also love dolls and try to make dolls occasionally that reflect something I love. I took a Pullip doll and transformed her into my World of Warcraft Night Elf Priestess Nehalennia (http://24.media.tumblr.com/088d7cedad4516ccb7b49acc96bfbd01/tumblr_mn4zniiUK61s93qluo1_1280.jpg). I also make crochet mermaid dolls (https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/544587_10100379508748418_72533005_n.jpg), other dolls (http://24.media.tumblr.com/28190285d37c0141f3dff20d45afdd6b/tumblr_mzbdzt04p81s93qluo2_1280.jpg) and items (https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/1613985_10100983731915348_2102383226_n.jpg), and am thinking about making some more cloth mermaid dolls (https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/250632_848355262288_4985461_n.jpg) and offering them up for sale.

As you may have guessed from the previous paragraph, I'm a gamer. Not only do I play World of Warcraft (and I'm a roleplayer too, so I'm all kinds of nerdy!) but I also am a complete fangirl for Portal 1, Portal 2, the Bioshock Series (though I could rant about how Burial At Sea -should- have ended all day,) and other games here and there.

I have a desire to grow my hair to the ground. This has nothing to do with Tangled, actually, as I have been working on this goal since I was in my mid teens. I used to have really long hair as a little girl, then it was cut off by my aunt without my mother's permission. I kept it short for a long time since it was "hip," but after a while I knew what I wanted and have been working on it ever since. I've spent the last 5 years maintaining my current length (https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/970897_10101074118684538_8081398788496015555_n.jpg ) and finally have grown out the dye.

Finally, the thing I had to give up but I don't know if I ever really gave up. When I got hired at my job full time, I had to leave my bellydance (https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1.0-9/417008_10100477090369068_707634085_n.jpg) troupe. I've not danced with them in over a year, nor have I gotten to go to any performances. I still have all my costumes, zills, belts, veils, fan veils, and wings in hopes that I can go back some day.

Vixy
04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
http://youtu.be/v8F-d5rAPU4

Recently the pirate group I'm in was on TV, we come in roughly about 7 minutes into it.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-30-2014, 09:20 PM
I pose as a human...

Lorelei
05-02-2014, 02:06 AM
I'm usually hanging around these guys :P
The one in the back is my best friend/brother and the crazy one beside me is my boyfriend. :) we were headed to Sakura-con, I was cosplaying Ariel
Which brings me to the next one, I cosplay a lot (both anime and Disney).
I'm an archer, I love archery and it's been in the family for a while (my grandfather used to compete).
I used to volunteer at an animal shelter and do beach clean ups.
I also love to act. I used to act on sets in L.A., mainly backgrounds and auditions, but landed a few minor parts in things such as My Name is Earl, Worlds Most Astonishing News (a japanese TV show), Big Bang Theory and a Microsoft informercial. Most of my on set acting was mainly from when I was younger and school wasn't so hectic. I used to be into dance for a little while as well and did Tap, Jazz, and Ballet.
Now I'm just a full-time university student studying film production, a friend and I want to make a mermaid movie someday and are currently trying to work on the book of it. I also love to write stories, I write almost every chance I get. I love to play video games or play with my pet rats on the weekends when I'm not a work and most of the time, I actually don't have the time or money to do anything else.
Also, this is my sister :) She's currently pregnant, so I'm going to be an auntie to a new nephew soon! :D