PDA

View Full Version : Just something I wanted to share...

Sea Pearl
03-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place so forgive me if I am not.

Everyone remember the movie Splash? Well, a little while ago I had the delight in finding the movie novelization book on Ebay UK after searching for a long while. And finally it has come in the post:) It was Splash that really got me interested in mermaiding and after watching the movie began searching for the novel, which I had heard they first released back in 1984. Cannot wait to start reading it...even though I know how it's all going to turn out. :D Just wanted to share excitement with you all! Hope you don’t mind.

Moonflower
03-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Ooh! Please post if there's anything different or "extra" in the book - things like the "sea hag" scene that wasn't included in the film, or bits of dialogue about where/how she lived! I didn't know there was a novelization, now I want to read it as well!

Nate Walis
03-09-2012, 05:12 AM
I'd certainly be interested in reading the passages where the author deals with Madison's transformations in the bath scene and with the bucket of water outside the function where Eugene Levy's character confronts the couple.

I wonder if you could post such things here and not be accused of copyright violation?

It would just be interesting to see how such a thing was handled in a mainstream novelisation from my point of view as an amatuer writer who has dealt with the concept on more than a few occasions.

Sea Pearl
03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Here's a picture I took of the novel:) It was written by Ian Don.

I would be more than happy to post passages from the novel on here if anyone wants...but I'm not sure if it would be accused of copyright violation like you say Nate. Hmm...I'll defiantly look into it and post back. I do wonder how would be best to find out about that? Possibly contacting the forum? But if anyone wants to search for a copy I would recommend Ebay. Copies come up once in a while and are usually very inexpensive.

Alveric
03-09-2012, 04:17 PM
You're allowed if it's part of a review or a literary discussion.

Alveric

lasserine
03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Anything different in the book vs the movie that really stands out?

Sea Pearl
03-10-2012, 07:00 PM
You're allowed if it's part of a review or a literary discussion.

Alveric

Thanks Alveric! So I guess putting up small passages would be okay! I've read half already and cannot find any differences so far...though I watched Splash last night so I could compare :)

Alveric
03-10-2012, 07:13 PM
It looks like a novelization of the movie rather than the inspiration for it. In which case it will likely follow the movie closely.

Aolveric

Sea Pearl
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, it's a movie tie in book written just after the movie came out so it follows with great accuracy. But still fun to read! :) Here's the passage where Madison transforms back into a mermaid in the Bath scene.

"With a tremor of excitement she opened up the taps and tipped half the salt from the packet into the bathtub. Dimming the lights to just a faint glow, she climbed into the tub and lay back with her eyes closed as the warm water swirled higher and higher around her. Then a commotion under the water promoted her to reach up and turn off the taps. A shudder passed through her golden body. Over the edge of the bath a broad ribbed fin unfurled itself like two crescent-shaped wings and fanned out in iridescent splendor. Madison opened her eyes and gazed down happily at the delicate silver scales of her slim tail shimmering with brilliant rainbow hues in the frothing water."

One difference I did find is that Madison's tail is described as being almost silver in colour as opposed to the film where it's orange with highlights of black around the fins.