PDA

View Full Version : Oregon/ North Pacific Swim

sabinamermaid
09-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Hello everyone! I live in Eugene Oregon and wouldn't mind driving to swim with some other mers. If anyone would like to meetup say the word! Also please let me know if anyone is already planning to get together in the area :)

Mermaid Kane
09-14-2017, 04:45 PM
I may be getting a tail soon, so I may be able to come. Any swim places in mind?

sabinamermaid
09-14-2017, 06:29 PM
That's awesome! The only place I've swam in my tail so far is Dexter lake, it's beautiful and a good temperature so would definitely go again. I'm interested in finding other lakes, reservoirs, swimming holes, and even trying pools

Mermaid Kane
09-14-2017, 07:00 PM
That's awesome! The only place I've swam in my tail so far is Dexter lake, it's beautiful and a good temperature so would definitely go again. I'm interested in finding other lakes, reservoirs, swimming holes, and even trying pools

What about Timothy lake? Well maybe not... It's a great place, but it's better enjoyed camping, not with just tails. No clean water facilities either without a trailer/motor home.

sabinamermaid
09-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Timothy lake looks really cool! Having running water isn't such a big deal for me since you can always shower/ clean the tail at home

Mermaid Kane
09-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Oh! Forgot something. Timothy Lake closes for use on October 1st. People would want to bring some tarps to lay down so your tails are not pierced by sticks on the ground, and for cover while changing.
I'm not sure what its like to go for a day, because I've only gone in the motor home with our canoes and such.

All that said, I would actually suggest somewhere else, or timing would be a big issue.

Mermaid Kane
09-14-2017, 09:12 PM
It may be that going to a pool is the best option. A lot of the natural lakes need a long hike to get to, or are closed till next year.

Maybe we could go a pool this year, and plan for Timothy lake next?

sabinamermaid
09-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Yeah I agree that pools would be best in the cooler months. It'll definitely be cool to find new natural water bodies next summer though :)

Mermaid Kane
09-14-2017, 11:01 PM
Yeah I agree that pools would be best in the cooler months. It'll definitely be cool to find new natural water bodies next summer though :)

Timothy lake really is great. I know a super magical place that is photo shoot worthy there. <3

Maybe you can scout for pools?

sabinamermaid
09-15-2017, 12:00 AM
Ooo I'm down for the magical photo shoots! And yes, I'll definitely keep a lookout on the pools

Auricle
09-15-2017, 01:54 AM
I'm down to come to a meetup! If you're looking for pools, the Tualatin hills parks and recreation district allows and encourages mermaid tails at their pools. If you investigate other pools, be sure to contact them and make sure they're mermaid friendly cause you never know ' u '

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm down to come to a meetup! If you're looking for pools, the Tualatin hills parks and recreation district allows and encourages mermaid tails at their pools. If you investigate other pools, be sure to contact them and make sure they're mermaid friendly cause you never know ' u '

I've been before! 12ft deep on one end, some lanes, and some open swimming area in one massive pool from what I remember. They had this HUGE blow-up iceburg(??) that was a challenge to climb up and jump from. ;-;

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Even if I don't have a tail by then, I'm really determined to come anyways. I'd love to meet mermaids in person.
If I do have a tail, I will be still learning the ropes, haha. Luckily I've dolphin kicked since I was four, or I'd have more trouble figuring it out. (More to tail swimming then that though, I just have a small headstart)

Auricle
09-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Ooo, which THPRD pool was it? That sounds bigger than the one I live by (conestoga rec center). Also, depending on what size you wear, I have an extra tail that you could borrow in case you don't get a tail by whenever we plan to get together.

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Ooo, which THPRD pool was it? That sounds bigger than the one I live by (conestoga rec center). Also, depending on what size you wear, I have an extra tail that you could borrow in case you don't get a tail by whenever we plan to get together.

Oh, shoot. I'm not sure actually? I was kind of little, so my memories may be askew.
That's so sweet of you to offer! I'm pretty tall though. 5'9, 40 inches to my ankles. Kinda thick too, oops. Equestrian muscle legs.

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Forgot to mention. Are you all okay with having a minor over? I am fourteen. Its okay if I can't come.
Someone already mistook me for an adult, so I just wanted you guys to know.

Auricle
09-15-2017, 11:08 AM
I think it's fine if you're a minor as long as the pool rules say it's okay either for you to be responsible for yourself or if you have someone come with you for proper supervision. As long as you also don't mind hanging out with adults I guess lol. The extra tail fits waist 31" to 34" and length 36" to 40" ( it's a medium size mertailor eco tail)

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 11:13 AM
I think it's fine if you're a minor as long as the pool rules say it's okay either for you to be responsible for yourself or if you have someone come with you for proper supervision. As long as you also don't mind hanging out with adults I guess lol. The extra tail fits waist 31" to 34" and length 36" to 40" ( it's one of the mertailor eco tails)

I don't mind hanging out with adults at all! I do it a lot actually. There's more to learn when I listen to adults then when I'm around a bunch of teens who could care less. I'm weird that way.

That tail would probably fit! I really appreciate the gesture, even if I end up with my own tail/it not fitting.

Auricle
09-15-2017, 11:28 AM
I don't mind hanging out with adults at all! I do it a lot actually. There's more to learn when I listen to adults then when I'm around a bunch of teens who could care less. I'm weird that way.

That tail would probably fit! I really appreciate the gesture, even if I end up with my own tail/it not fitting.
No worries! I was totally the same way when I was younger (I was homeschooled so it was also more common to have adults to talk to). I just want to help people live their mermaid dreams so I'm happy to offer!

It looks like the THPRD pool with the largest capacity is closed for repairs until Dec. 10, but the second largest one ( Beaverton swim center) has open swim on Saturdays from 2:45 - 4:00, and Sundays from 4:00 - 6:00. There are plenty of other facilities too of course.

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 11:30 AM
No worries! I was totally the same way when I was younger (I was homeschooled so it was also more common to have adults to talk to). I just want to help people live their mermaid dreams so I'm happy to offer!

It looks like the THPRD pool with the largest capacity is closed for repairs until Dec. 10, but the second largest one ( Beaverton swim center) has open swim on Saturdays from 2:45 - 4:00, and Sundays from 4:00 - 6:00. There are plenty of other facilities too of course.

Nice! I'm homeschooled too.

Sunday might be better. Two hours is pretty short though.

Auricle
09-15-2017, 11:36 AM
The conestoga rec center (3rd largest facility) has open swim from 1:00 - 4:55 on Saturdays and 1:00 - 3:35 on Sundays, either of which might work better for time length.

sabinamermaid
09-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Those pools sound amazing! 2 hours definitely isn't a big window but I'm sure it would be okay if we got there right at 4. I'm 22 and would love to swim with mermaids of all ages :)

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 11:52 AM
I think the Conestoga pool sounds like a better time range. Since Sabina is coming from Eugene, it would be fairer to have a longer time range so she can enjoy. My best friend lives in Eugene, and the drive can get miserable.

Auricle
09-15-2017, 11:58 AM
Yeah a 2 hour drive each way for like 2 hours of swim time isn't really fair, but a Saturday at the conestoga rec center sounds like a better time investment. (I feel kind of selfish cause I live like 2 blocks from that rec center...)

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 01:07 PM
It's a 40 minute drive from my house, but we are in the country and drive that far all the time to shop for food and such.

Dates? October or November is (most likely) best for me. The third weekend of October has wedding events. I need to go over any date with my parents for further info.

Auricle
09-15-2017, 07:14 PM
I have field trips on both the 7th and 14th of october, and I'm at kumoricon the fourth weekend, so maybe October is a no-go? Is September 30th too soon?

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 07:22 PM
I have field trips on both the 7th and 14th of october, and I'm at kumoricon the fourth weekend, so maybe October is a no-go? Is September 30th too soon?

I believe September is a bit too soon for me, but maybe I could make it work. There's always November.

Auricle
09-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Yeah November sounds the most likely so far but let's see what Sabina's schedule is like ' u '

Mermaid Kane
09-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Yeah, Sabina is our host after all!

sabinamermaid
09-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Any of those times work for me! Is November the consensus?? I just work at a restaurant for now so I can easily change my schedule

Mermaid Kane
09-16-2017, 12:46 PM
November sounds best! That way I'll have more time to confirm dates an times with my parental unit. ;)

Mermaid Kane
09-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Any dates picked out yet?

Auricle
09-17-2017, 07:55 PM
As far as I know I'm free for any weekend in November. If anyone has events going on, we can narrow down dates that way ' u '

Mermaid Kane
09-17-2017, 07:59 PM
We have the Thanksgiving weekend planned, but everything else sounds free. I'd prefer to go sooner in the month rather then later. :)

Auricle
09-17-2017, 08:04 PM
How does the 4th sound? I realized that the 11th is veteran's day so places might be closed, and the 18th is probably when I'll be doing birthday celebration stuff for my fiancee.

Mermaid Kane
09-17-2017, 08:29 PM
4th sounds good for me. I'll secure the date.

sabinamermaid
09-17-2017, 09:18 PM
I'll make sure I have work off on the 4th of November!

Mermaid Kane
09-17-2017, 09:36 PM
The 4th it is! :D

sabinamermaid
09-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Yay! Btw I just invited mermaid Lorelei from this thread: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?11331-Anybody-in-or-around-Eugene
Hopefully she can come too!

Mermaid Kane
09-17-2017, 10:07 PM
I saw! :D Great to have more participants!

Mermaid Kane
09-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Ahh! I can't wait to go! November will probably come very fast, though. Time flies.

Mermaid Kane
10-24-2017, 12:05 AM
Everyone still on for the 4th?

Times?

Auricle
10-24-2017, 12:15 AM
I'm still on for the 4th! The open swim time starts at 1 so thats when I'll try to be there ' u '

sabinamermaid
10-24-2017, 12:47 AM
Yes I'm excited! 1 sounds perfect, I'll let mermaid Jessamy know about the time :) my fb is Sabina R. Hagen-Botbol, you guys should add me!

Mermaid Kane
10-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Yes I'm excited! 1 sounds perfect, I'll let mermaid Jessamy know about the time :) my fb is Sabina R. Hagen-Botbol, you guys should add me!

I don't have a Facebook. I hadn't really had interest in it before. 'n'

sabinamermaid
10-24-2017, 11:27 AM
It's a good way of communicating but we can just message each other phone numbers instead, it would be good to make sure we can all find each other, I'll just send mine to you guys now!

Merman Cyan
12-18-2017, 01:37 PM
HELLO Sabina im Cyan and i live in the hillsboro area. we should totally swim together sometime

Merman Cyan
12-18-2017, 01:38 PM
are you THEE kane? friends of Auricle????????

Auricle
12-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Yup the Kane in this thread is the one I was talking about

sabinamermaid
12-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Hello Cyan! That would be awesome! Mermaids Kane Auricle and I have all been meeting to swim in Beaverton and you should definitely come sometime!

Merman Cyan
12-18-2017, 11:04 PM
Hello Cyan! That would be awesome! Mermaids Kane Auricle and I have all been meeting to swim in Beaverton and you should definitely come sometime!
OMG that would be AMAZING, but the question is where should we swim at and when. ooh is it ok if i invite my mer-mentor SIF??????????????????????

sabinamermaid
12-19-2017, 02:44 AM
Yeah that would be super cool! We swam at the conestoga recreation center a couple times, we went just last week so maybe a few weeks from now would be good? I'll check in with the other mers and let you know when they want to swim again!

Mermaid Kane
12-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Ummmm.... I'm not sure about this quite yet. I don't have an issue with guys, but my parents do... I'll run this through them, but my dad may not let me go to a meet with a boy involved....

sabinamermaid
12-20-2017, 01:44 AM
Okay, I hope your parents think it's a good idea! Sounds awesome to me! I hope you can come Mermaid Kane but if not I'm definitely still down to swim with you Merman Cyan and your friend!

Mermaid Kane
12-20-2017, 11:36 AM
Okay, I hope your parents think it's a good idea! Sounds awesome to me! I hope you can come Mermaid Kane but if not I'm definitely still down to swim with you Merman Cyan and your friend!

I hope they are fine with it. It would be a shame to have to sit at home knowing you guys were having fun just because a teen guy was there. -_-

Cyan, would you be okay if I gave your phone number to my Dad so he can ask questions and give you ''the talk''? I know it sounds extreme (and from what I saw of your Instgram, you are gay, right? So you wouldn't even ''bug'' me.) but ya know.... parents. xD

sabinamermaid
12-24-2017, 11:23 AM
That sounds really unnecessary since we are only planning to meet and swim in a public pool and if you come won't your mom be there? It would actually be really inappropriate to have your dad message Cyan like that. Cyan is a just kid like you who wants to swim so having an adult man he doesn't know quiz him with his personal number is very uncalled for

Mermaid Kane
12-24-2017, 12:01 PM
That sounds really unnecessary since we are only planning to meet and swim in a public pool and if you come won't your mom be there? It would actually be really inappropriate to have your dad message Cyan like that. Cyan is a just kid like you who wants to swim so having an adult man he doesn't know quiz him with his personal number is very uncalled for

You haven't met my Father. But yeah, I agree that its over the top.

SIF
03-12-2018, 06:55 PM
We could always start the summer off in a fountain or two.
The best lake around is BattleGround. It's small enough to swim across and back as many times as you want, big enough to avoid people. No motorized anything is allowed on the water, and the fisherman are almost never around because it's a little spot. There's a campground, both cabin and tent, a rec area to eat or have a party. Best of all the lake is relatively warm, particularly near the surface.
Other great spots: We could claim the large group tub at Bagby Hot Springs(if someone shows up at the crack of dawn), The Umpqua Hot springs are BEAUTIFUL and they're natural so the water looks all blue-y, as is most of the water near SweetHome, bt that's cold. Crater lake is PERFECT in August and it functions a little like the tropics in that you never know where the bottom is, even though you can see it.

Mermaid Kane
03-13-2018, 12:30 AM
I may or may not have any free time this summer, unfortunately. I have about 17 days at home TOTAL, between May 10th and August 1st, and I'm busy before then too. If you guys plan to go somewhere, I may or may not be able to come. :c

sabinamermaid
03-13-2018, 09:36 PM
All those places sound amazing! I'll check out the drive times, I'll definitely be down for summer swims!

SIF
03-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Kane, I'm sorry you're not around this summer. Maybe in the fall we'll meet in person?

In terms of Fall, I try to attend the Dive-In films that the Tualitin Hills Recreation District hosts at their pools.
Also Harmon Pool in the Portland/Beaverton area is a steady 84° at all times. It's nice in the non-summer months.

Wilson High School has a pool with a whirlpool, lazy river and steady slope into the pool that opens to the public in the late spring and all through the summer. Outside food and drink is allowed poolside, so long as there's no glass and you are out of the pool when the actual eating occurs. My mum used to take us and order pizza to the pool.

SIF
03-14-2018, 03:06 PM
I'm down for a day that Kane is home between May 10th and June 23rd. Anyone else?

Mermaid Kane
03-14-2018, 04:30 PM
I'm down for a day that Kane is home between May 10th and June 23rd. Anyone else?

I think I have three days free then, but I may be too busy packing?? Not sure. I'll see! I'd love to swim.