PDA

View Full Version : Finfolk's Fabric Tails!

Pages : 1 [2]

Magi
02-10-2018, 01:32 PM
I kind of wish drag was as big of a problem for me as it is for other mers with these tails. I accidentally propelled myself way too deep while taking mine to the springs for the first time. My ear ended up filling up with water so much I couldn't hear from it, and today it feels bruised. I was just trying to go under the water, I accidentally shot down about 20 feet or so... :$

What Monofin are you using with your tail?

Derek Broussard
02-10-2018, 04:18 PM
I kind of wish drag was as big of a problem for me as it is for other mers with these tails. I accidentally propelled myself way too deep while taking mine to the springs for the first time. My ear ended up filling up with water so much I couldn't hear from it, and today it feels bruised. I was just trying to go under the water, I accidentally shot down about 20 feet or so... :$

Sounds like barotrauma or a perforated ear drum. I would stay out of the water for 2 weeks and let it heal.

BlueCorvidae
02-13-2018, 02:44 AM
What Monofin are you using with your tail?

It was just a finis foil. Based on what people were saying about it, I wasn't expecting that much propulsion.

Sounds like barotrauma or a perforated ear drum. I would stay out of the water for 2 weeks and let it heal.

It's definitely not a perforated ear drum. I've had one of those just last year, it was absolutely nasty and the most painful thing I've ever experienced. (I had to use ear plugs in the shower for over a month.) This only felt like a bruise, as if I had managed to stub my ear canal on a table somehow. The pain is already gone, but I won't be forgetting my ear plugs next time for sure.

Magi
02-13-2018, 11:27 AM
It was just a finis foil. Based on what people were saying about it, I wasn't expecting that much propulsion.

Yeah, that's impressive considering the more mediocre comments I've been reading from people with that monofin. You must have a strong kick is all I can say ^.^;

BlueCorvidae
02-14-2018, 01:06 PM
It's probably just that it's a more powerful monofin than people are giving it credit for. A lot of people who complain about it seem to be people who use larger finis monofins or mahinas. But when they're saying that to somebody like me who's never had a monofin before, it's giving a skewed expectation of what to expect out of a monofin. Honestly though, the real issue is that this is my first tail and I'm not really that experienced with freediving. I've never swam deeper than 10ft before that, I've never intentionally dove under the water where the deep part of a spring was, (they're kind of creepy so I used to avoid swimming over them) and I need to practice controlling a monofin better.

I'm considering designing a finfun tail for myself to practice with at the pool to get a bit better at this before the next meetup at the springs. Their monofins look small and less powerful, so it seems like a good place to start.

Magi
02-14-2018, 01:32 PM
That is a possibility too.... If not a Finfun tail for practice there's also the Mertailor tail that uses an Aquarius. It's a small monofin as well but has a little more propulsion than the finfun's monofin from what I understand since it's firm.

Mermaid Cetea
02-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Hi. So I still havenít had the chance to swim in mine, but next weekend I should gain pool access. I did however get my shooter monofin into the tail. Definitely an upgrade from the fin fun, as my feet didnít slide around inside the monofin- but what I did notice is that there really isnít a great location for the screws to stop the shooter from moving side to side. Also, if I lay on my back and put my fin in the air, I noticed the fabric scrunched up and pinched in a weird way by the fluke. I think itís because-again- there isnít a great way to secure that monofin in the tail, and it moved down into the fluke. I can see why the Mahina would be the best choice if you are able to accomplish it! Iíll post another update when I get it into the water.

Mer Coralia
02-21-2018, 09:43 PM
If you put the Mahina in your tail, it can rip through the fabric. Just an FYI.

A podmate recently posted such photos. It's fixable with neoprene glue (I've had some bottom pool scraps on mine which I fixed), but hers were much bigger so it might be a little more tricky to get the outer scale-printed fabric lined up.

Mermaid Cetea
02-23-2018, 11:13 PM
So, I was curious about the Mahina. A friend lent me thereís to try with, and I got mine in with 0 problems, and it maybe took 5 minutes if you count the two minutes it took me to make a plan. Hereís what I did:

-First, I wet a sponge and wiped down the mahina and the insert so it wouldnít stick

-then I pushed the mahina in halfway, or until the foot pockets were against the zipper.

- I stopped here to guide the end of the mahina into the correct pocket of the fluke.

- next, I folded the foot pockets in a little and carefully tucked them into the fluke

-finally, I folded the bottom of the mahina that was still outside of the zipper back, minding the edges, and pulled it into the fluke. Once in, I slowly unfolded it and guided it into the other pocket. After, I went through and made sure it was sitting in the correct spot and that it wasnít butting up against any of the seams too much.
So, water definitely helps a lot! I canít garentee it will work for every tail. Iím a bigger mermaid, so my tail has some extra fabric. Go slow, if you think you might be stressing a seam, stop and abort. After this though, Iím definitely getting a mahina for this tail, and probably returning the shooter.

BlueCorvidae
02-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Yeah, don't use the mahina in these tails. IDK why anyone would be trying to shove an object that rigid and barely fits into a tail this expensive to begin with, but after seeing the holes the mahina tore into some people's tails I can't stress this point enough. Don't use the mahina in the finfolk fabric tails. It can and likely will eventually ruin your fluke.

MermaidLiara
02-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Even the Finis shooter has caused holes in finfolks fabric tails, and thats the one they recommend.

I hope they make the next gen flukes a lot stronger.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

Magi
02-27-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure they're going to be able to make it stronger without increasing the thickness of the neoprene. I had thought the vinyl inserts would have protected them better, but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

On the note of the Mahina, I had seen mers having success in getting theirs in and were talking about how they loved the flow it gave the fluke, but now seeing the damage it's done to their tails I'm shying away from buying one ot use with this tail. I too would suggest anyone thinking about it to reconsider. Too many pod members hurting their tails, but at least so far everyone has been able to patch the holes and give their tale some battle scars.

Mermaid_Katyah
02-27-2018, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure they're going to be able to make it stronger without increasing the thickness of the neoprene. I had thought the vinyl inserts would have protected them better, but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

On the note of the Mahina, I had seen mers having success in getting theirs in and were talking about how they loved the flow it gave the fluke, but now seeing the damage it's done to their tails I'm shying away from buying one ot use with this tail. I too would suggest anyone thinking about it to reconsider. Too many pod members hurting their tails, but at least so far everyone has been able to patch the holes and give their tale some battle scars.

I was just about to ask if the Mahina fin would work and you saved me some trouble. I do wonder if a cut finis shooter or rapid might work? Iím still on the fence about buying this first wave.

Mer Coralia
02-28-2018, 06:23 AM
Even the Finis shooter has caused holes in finfolks fabric tails, and thats the one they recommend.

I hope they make the next gen flukes a lot stronger.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

They mentioned they'd look into a stronger fabric but they also never had any tearing or hole issues with any of their tester tails. So I'm not sure if its just an experience thing or a pool thing. Or even just how the monofin is placed per person. I know on mine, two are because I stood on it. The other I have no idea, but thankfully mine were all tiny.

Besides, its not like injuring your tail is a hundred percent avoidable. It's going to be used. It is still fabric.

For stronger flukes, I know someone also asked about, like thicker vinyl or something since they're so floppy and hard to pose in. But the twins responded it wasn't something they had planned so I'm not sure if they'll consider it. I don't think it'd be worth it for them anyway, least now.

TybeeMermaid
02-28-2018, 10:31 PM
You might be able to make neoprene protectors to cover the ends of the mahina so it won't damage the tail.

Agent Dragon
03-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Hey, Iím hoping to get a tail from the upcoming spring line but Iím not sure what size to get. Iím smack dab in the middle between the XS and S sizes, but Iím leaning towards getting a extra small to reduce potential drag. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seaair16
03-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Hey, I’m hoping to get a tail from the upcoming spring line but I’m not sure what size to get. I’m smack dab in the middle between the XS and S sizes, but I’m leaning towards getting a extra small to reduce potential drag. Thoughts?

i would get the bigger size if was to small it would be uncomfortable and you would be down a lot of money

Magi
03-02-2018, 01:15 PM
I was in the same boat.... My waist measurements were right at XXS but my other measurements were closer to XS, I went ahead with XXS. I've not written how it fits me or added pictues yet because I haven't gotten to swim in it yet (Few weeks until I get there, but it is a snug fit. It's not overly tight like it's crushing me, I'm not uncomfortable, but there is no room for error. I'm not prone to gaining weight so I'm not scared of outgrowing my tail. The hope is that when I start swimming in it it'll be a good fit.
The safe option is getting the larger size.... you can always take it in. There isn't a lot of stretch to the neoprene but if you do size down take your time putting on the tail, it takes practice to get it on and make it feel right.

Mermaid Cetea
03-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Finally had a first swim in mine. I have a mahina in it. overall it went well, but the fluke is really floaty. I struggled to stay under at all. The drag is manageable, but it does swell with air bubbles & collected water. I think the damage I keep hearing about it strictly from the way the vinyl insert rubs and pinches the neoprene in places. The mahina doesn't help with that, but really, neither does the finish shooter. here are some pictures.

Magi
03-05-2018, 03:33 PM
For a visual reference for some of you mers that don't have one of these tails but have swam in other fabric tails..... This is my Mertailer tail skin waist to waist with my FF tail and the monofin that fits in that skin that I'll be trying in my tail next week. This fluke is no joke and I'm really curious to feel how it handles in the water in comparison.

The Dragonfly Mermaid
03-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Considering getting one, using the covers magictail sends with the mahina, would it be worth it getting one? They're highly priced and I fear they could get ripped easily :/
Also, how do you reduce the swelling from water and air?

Magi
03-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Considering getting one, using the covers magictail sends with the mahina, would it be worth it getting one? They're highly priced and I fear they could get ripped easily :/
Also, how do you reduce the swelling from water and air?

Can't speak for the covers and how they would work with the Mahina.... Seeing a lot of damage done with mahinas in the tails too. As for the tail getting ripped.... It's possible, at the end of the day it is a fabric tail, it all comes down to how you care for your tail in and out of the water. Since it is a neoprene tail it is possible to sew and use scuba repair kits to mend the tail, so it's not like you have to throw out the tail if you get holes. I've seen several mers now showing their success in repairing their tails so far.
As for the water/air getting trapped in the tail, there are a few I've seen putting drainage holes in their fluke.... undoing the stitching at the seams before enforcing the area, from what I've seen people have been saying it flows better. I personally haven't tested it out. I'm wondering if just how I swim if I can negate this.

The Dragonfly Mermaid
03-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Thank you very much for your help!
How much does it stand up if you are on your front with fin up?

Magi
03-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Thank you very much for your help!
How much does it stand up if you are on your front with fin up?

HOnestly? With my monofin and the inserts in there it doesn't stand up much at all, it's not very stiff and it flops. This mer I've watched for a year or so now shows the sort of flopping she had despite having I think a shooter in her tail, thumbnail she only got by snapshotting her video footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U19kiGzg5eQ

Magi
03-19-2018, 11:44 AM
So I finally got to swim in my tail....

I came from swimming in a Mertailer tail and I have to say I felt a huge difference that I don't mind. There's a lot more effort in getting into the FF tail, but it stayed on me and fit comfortably on me. Was funny trying to get out of and can't say this is a tail I would feel safe wearing in an environment that could be dangerous if I don't get out of the tail quickly. I had to float there in the water until I could get my tail down which only took me a few seconds, but that's a lot more time than a regular fabric tail takes to get off and know that can mean a lot in a bad situation. Not sure if this will get better with practice or not.

I did have air getting trapped in the fluke, but personally I didn't find this a big issue, and I loved having the warmth of the neoprene. I kept loosing my warm water when I had to open the zipper to fix my monofin (I'll get to that later), but I warmed up quickly. If I considered drainage holes I do think I would lose this and miss it. That being said, when I got my tail out of the water it was "fun" trying to make sure I poured out all the water trapped inside, lol...
I didn't lose my screws in the vinyl like I've heard a lot of people complaining about, they didn't even come undone. I'm not sure if a bigger monofin will change this or not. I took out the casing for drying and took the two pieces apart so they could dry better. with them out and my tail airing out after a good rinse they all aired out in a day. My tail doesn't even look like it was used and I was concerned since it was a rough pool which can't be said the same about my other fabric tail. I'm very careful about not touching the bottom of a pool or standing in my tail, but a season of swimming will still rough up corners as you can imagine.
Something I heard other mers complaining about is that when the tail gets wet you can see the black neoprene through the lighter colors, which with a peachy keen colored tail would be a decent portion of the top. I personally didn't see a lot of issues with this in the water. When I was out of it, yes... the black shows through and darkens the color quite a bit, but even when reviewing my camera footage I didn't see that issue in the water.

Monofin.... Well, if all you have is an Aquarius then getting a new monofin is going to be a must. Probably no surprise to any mer who has swam with this tail, an Aquarius just does not have the power to control such a large fluke. I had a lot of flow which was beautiful, but my swimming did struggle. I had to use a lot more stamina to do simple things, and I couldn't even do a lap on one breath of air like I normally can with the combination. I'm not sure which monofin I'm going to go for, but I need a major upgrade. My mother who has watched me swim for countless hours in my other tail noticed my struggling and commented that my turns are slower and not as sharp in this tail which I blame on the monofin in this case.
Also with the Aquarius-- I kept loosing my control with it. As some might know there is just a silicone strap to keep you tail on. I tightened it as tight as I could and had neoprene boots on, and I still could not keep that monofin on. I generally have to fix it a few times when I'm swimming in my other tail, but as you can imagine I had to fix my strap multiple times in this tail. I kept having to swim to the stairs and unzipping the side to fix this, after nearly a dozen times in an hour I just gave up since I knew this was dangerous. Nothing quite as unnerving as sort of limply wiggling to the shallows ^.^;

From a mer who has only swam in fabric tails, I'm in love... I finally get a large fluke (my weakness) and a realistic look that I generally associate with a silicone. I'll be sad if the XXS is discontinued since it fit me perfectly, but I'm looking forward to the next lineup of tails as I would consider adding another one of these to my collection and I am excited to see how this tail holds up from a full season of swimming.

MermaidAuquita1998
05-16-2018, 03:06 PM
So I finally got to swim in my tail....

I came from swimming in a Mertailer tail and I have to say I felt a huge difference that I don't mind. There's a lot more effort in getting into the FF tail, but it stayed on me and fit comfortably on me. Was funny trying to get out of and can't say this is a tail I would feel safe wearing in an environment that could be dangerous if I don't get out of the tail quickly. I had to float there in the water until I could get my tail down which only took me a few seconds, but that's a lot more time than a regular fabric tail takes to get off and know that can mean a lot in a bad situation. Not sure if this will get better with practice or not.

I did have air getting trapped in the fluke, but personally I didn't find this a big issue, and I loved having the warmth of the neoprene. I kept loosing my warm water when I had to open the zipper to fix my monofin (I'll get to that later), but I warmed up quickly. If I considered drainage holes I do think I would lose this and miss it. That being said, when I got my tail out of the water it was "fun" trying to make sure I poured out all the water trapped inside, lol...
I didn't lose my screws in the vinyl like I've heard a lot of people complaining about, they didn't even come undone. I'm not sure if a bigger monofin will change this or not. I took out the casing for drying and took the two pieces apart so they could dry better. with them out and my tail airing out after a good rinse they all aired out in a day. My tail doesn't even look like it was used and I was concerned since it was a rough pool which can't be said the same about my other fabric tail. I'm very careful about not touching the bottom of a pool or standing in my tail, but a season of swimming will still rough up corners as you can imagine.
Something I heard other mers complaining about is that when the tail gets wet you can see the black neoprene through the lighter colors, which with a peachy keen colored tail would be a decent portion of the top. I personally didn't see a lot of issues with this in the water. When I was out of it, yes... the black shows through and darkens the color quite a bit, but even when reviewing my camera footage I didn't see that issue in the water.

Monofin.... Well, if all you have is an Aquarius then getting a new monofin is going to be a must. Probably no surprise to any mer who has swam with this tail, an Aquarius just does not have the power to control such a large fluke. I had a lot of flow which was beautiful, but my swimming did struggle. I had to use a lot more stamina to do simple things, and I couldn't even do a lap on one breath of air like I normally can with the combination. I'm not sure which monofin I'm going to go for, but I need a major upgrade. My mother who has watched me swim for countless hours in my other tail noticed my struggling and commented that my turns are slower and not as sharp in this tail which I blame on the monofin in this case.
Also with the Aquarius-- I kept loosing my control with it. As some might know there is just a silicone strap to keep you tail on. I tightened it as tight as I could and had neoprene boots on, and I still could not keep that monofin on. I generally have to fix it a few times when I'm swimming in my other tail, but as you can imagine I had to fix my strap multiple times in this tail. I kept having to swim to the stairs and unzipping the side to fix this, after nearly a dozen times in an hour I just gave up since I knew this was dangerous. Nothing quite as unnerving as sort of limply wiggling to the shallows ^.^;

From a mer who has only swam in fabric tails, I'm in love... I finally get a large fluke (my weakness) and a realistic look that I generally associate with a silicone. I'll be sad if the XXS is discontinued since it fit me perfectly, but I'm looking forward to the next lineup of tails as I would consider adding another one of these to my collection and I am excited to see how this tail holds up from a full season of swimming.

How did u wash your tail if u donít mind me asking?

Mermaid Kisses
Starfish Wishes

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone

Magi
05-16-2018, 03:40 PM
How did u wash your tail if u don’t mind me asking?

Mermaid Kisses
Starfish Wishes

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone
Once I get it out of the pool I usually rinse mine out as soon as I can in the shower or bath and let it hang dry/lay flat with the bathroom heater on for how ever long it needs. I also take out the inserts in the fluke and let them dry out on their own. It's worked for both my tail skins at this point, neither of them having shown fading or heavy wear, and my smaller tail skin has already had a full season of use.
If I wore them anywhere else than a pool or had gotten them stained in any way I would probably be using baking soda and laundry soap to clean them, but I haven't need to so far.

Mer Coralia
05-18-2018, 03:42 AM
Once I get it out of the pool I usually rinse mine out as soon as I can in the shower or bath and let it hang dry/lay flat with the bathroom heater on for how ever long it needs. I also take out the inserts in the fluke and let them dry out on their own. It's worked for both my tail skins at this point, neither of them having shown fading or heavy wear, and my smaller tail skin has already had a full season of use.
If I wore them anywhere else than a pool or had gotten them stained in any way I would probably be using baking soda and laundry soap to clean them, but I haven't need to so far.

Careful with using a heater to dry it, heat can cause neoprene to lose its elasticity and overall shape.

Yeah mine stinks of chlorine now -.- I've been thankful we switched to my friends' complex saltwater pool. It's so much nicer on the skin, hair, eyes, and tail -so everything. :lol:

Magi
05-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Careful with using a heater to dry it, heat can cause neoprene to lose its elasticity and overall shape.

Yeah mine stinks of chlorine now -.- I've been thankful we switched to my friends' complex saltwater pool. It's so much nicer on the skin, hair, eyes, and tail -so everything. :lol:

That's a good point. I was mainly worried about it staying wet for too long when dying but I would be more concerned about it losing it's stretch.

MidnightMer
05-19-2018, 10:33 AM
I have been thinking about getting a Finfolk Fabric Tail for a long time. I was thinking about getting one today as a graduation gift to myself, but I am not sure if I should. They are pretty expensive, and I would have to get a different monofin to really use it, since all I have is a finfun and a competitor. I am not sure if I should buy one of these and get a monofin, or wait and see if I can find some other tail maker to make me a custom skin to go on the competitor. Any thoughts?

MidnightMer
05-19-2018, 02:39 PM
I thought about it for a few more hours, and in the end, I decided to buy and I got the Neverland Tail. It is so gorgeous, and I am so happy.

Mer Coralia
05-20-2018, 10:10 PM
I have been thinking about getting a Finfolk Fabric Tail for a long time. I was thinking about getting one today as a graduation gift to myself, but I am not sure if I should. They are pretty expensive, and I would have to get a different monofin to really use it, since all I have is a finfun and a competitor. I am not sure if I should buy one of these and get a monofin, or wait and see if I can find some other tail maker to make me a custom skin to go on the competitor. Any thoughts?

The competitor won't fit and its not worth cutting. For Finfolk, they recommend the foil, wave/rapid, and shooter. I personally use the wave and love it.

I thought about it for a few more hours, and in the end, I decided to buy and I got the Neverland Tail. It is so gorgeous, and I am so happy.

AND THAT'S SO EXCITING! :yay::clap::cheerleader:

They're so much fun with swim with and congrats on graduating :)

BlueCorvidae
05-21-2018, 01:07 AM
I think I figured out the real culprit for holes appearing in the tails, and I'm fairly certain it's not the monofins. My vinyl inserts have started to saw little holes in my tail, and it's especially bad where the corners of the vinyl are. Fortunately my holes aren't as big as the ones some mers have had to deal with, but I wasn't expecting the wear and tear to come from the tail itself.

I'm a bit disappointed, but hey. I plan on adding some scale tipping to my tail anyway, and that will probably hide existing damage as well as not holding up either, so we'll see how it goes.

AniaR
09-05-2018, 10:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wszhLS0wwYs

MermaidAuquita1998
09-05-2018, 11:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wszhLS0wwYs

Beautiful Raina I got your book I love it so far

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~
Mermaid Kisses
And Starfish Wishes

Mermaid_Mari
09-23-2018, 01:32 AM
I just ordered one of the misprint tails aaaa I wasnít planning on getting one so soon but I couldnít resist when these ones came up and one of my favourites still had my size!
Iím waiting too see if my new linden adult monofin will fit in it, if it does Iíll let everyone know! If not then Iíll have to get one of the finis ones
Iím so excited!!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180923/a972bdb2f4ade4d624bdc7409a4add08.png

Nerdmaid Faith
09-23-2018, 03:37 AM
YEEEET

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

XMermaidMarinaX
09-23-2018, 06:23 AM
I just ordered a misprinted Shipwreck Siren and I'm SO EXCITED! Honestly, I'm a little scared because my butt and waist are almost an inch-ish over the recommended measurements for the size I got, but we'll see.. It was an XXS and I'm 88 lbs and fairly petite so here's hoping it's just a little tight and not like seam splitting tight haha
I'm just kind of debating on what monofin specifically.. I wish I'd been able to have them add calypso fins but that's not a thing for it so oh well.. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to do it myself or buy another when another line comes out

Magi
09-24-2018, 12:09 PM
I will go ahead and warn Gen2 tails don't have as much give as Gen1 tails. I sized up my Gen2 tail and it fits almost as snug as my Gen1 tail. There's a lot of other mers that ordered the exact same size as they had worn with Gen1 and were not able to fit into their Gen2 tails.
I'll be interested to see in how you guys fit in them.

inanna
09-24-2018, 12:48 PM
wow, that's a really pretty tail mari

AniaR
09-24-2018, 03:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZXB6ISjlNE

Nima
09-28-2018, 06:42 PM
I just dropped the money on a Glaucus Atlanticus Misprint last night. It's gonna be my first tail and I'm super excited for it <3

AniaR
09-29-2018, 08:47 PM
my suggestion to anyone who finds their tail is too small is to take the elastic out and then try it. HUGE difference for me

aurora85
10-01-2018, 01:44 PM
How is the drag on these tails? Iíve heard that the swimtails betta tails have quite a bit of drag and am wondering if the finkfolk ones are as bad?

Sherielle
10-02-2018, 02:26 PM
My first gen Island iris has a significant drag. I need to work on the drainage holes since it doesnít have any.

AniaR
10-02-2018, 03:50 PM
In order to not get drag you have to situation your fluke properly. It took me forever to figure out. But there is drainage built in to Gen 2, but if you use a monofin too big for the fluke it'll suction close. I couldn't get my drainage to work with a rapid, but totally fine with a foil.

Mermaid_Mari
10-11-2018, 02:49 AM
I got my misprint tail today!! And took it for its first swim! Hereís a little ďfirst thoughtsĒ review.
The ďmisprintĒ on mine is so small it doesnít even show up on camera so Iím super happy with that! (Itís only a tiny line across the back of the calves)
I used my adult linden monofin in the casing And it worked perfectly, I removed the screw casing things for easier access to the monofin and it worked great
After all the mixed views on these tails I was kinda worried it wouldnít be the greatest tail.
I had a lot of trouble getting the tail on, thereís like no stretch in the material, and even tho my measurements are an inch smaller than those on the measuring chart, and it was nearly impossible to get it over my butt, lucky I managed to in the end!
The drainage on the tail works well as long as you lower yourself slowly into the water to let the air escape.
The colour of the tail is so stunning and looks amazing in and out of the water
The propulsion and comfort of the fluke and linden monofin is amazing, and a lot smother than I was expecting! Basically no drag at all!
Overall Iím really happy with this tail so far, and I canít wait to take it on so many adventures!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181011/ceb8c2584c234eb2e38e28239c0154a0.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181011/b46fc774cfb2db375775f4db046acdc4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181011/f056adfbd9d55c7910c18d5c56f1832d.jpg

RiverDragonKaringan
10-11-2018, 02:52 AM
I got my misprint tail today!! And took it for its first swim! Hereís a little ďfirst thoughtsĒ review.
The ďmisprintĒ on mine is so small it doesnít even show up on camera so Iím super happy with that! (Itís only a tiny line across the back of the calves)
I used my adult linden monofin in the casing And it worked perfectly, I removed the screw casing things for easier access to the monofin and it worked great
After all the mixed views on these tails I was kinda worried it wouldnít be the greatest tail.
I had a lot of trouble getting the tail on, thereís like no stretch in the material, and even tho my measurements are an inch smaller than those on the measuring chart, and it was nearly impossible to get it over my butt, lucky I managed to in the end!
The drainage on the tail works well as long as you lower yourself slowly into the water to let the air escape.
The propulsion and comfort of the fluke and linden monofin is amazing, and a lot smother than I was expecting! Basically no drag at all!
Overall Iím really happy with this tail so far, and I canít wait to take it on so many adventures!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181011/ceb8c2584c234eb2e38e28239c0154a0.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181011/b46fc774cfb2db375775f4db046acdc4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181011/f056adfbd9d55c7910c18d5c56f1832d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYou look amazing! Glad to know the Adult Linden Fin will fit these tails!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Mermaid Kristy
10-11-2018, 01:42 PM

It looks beautiful! Now Iím seriously considering getting one when they do the next run since I already have a Linden monofin.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

KTMaggs
10-11-2018, 04:39 PM
What do they mean by misprint?

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

PearlieMae
10-11-2018, 04:52 PM
What do they mean by misprint?

It means the print isn't perfect, or the details don't line up perfectly, or there's a flaw in the image. The tail itself is fine, the printing might be a little irregular.

KTMaggs
10-11-2018, 05:18 PM
It means the print isn't perfect, or the details don't line up perfectly, or there's a flaw in the image. The tail itself is fine, the printing might be a little irregular.

That is what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.

Mermaid Cyane
10-13-2018, 12:25 AM
Has anyone tried to put a Mahina into the calypso fluke?

AniaR
11-26-2018, 10:38 AM
So I will have a review coming soon, but here's my first pool swim in my finfolk classic cleo. I found it too floaty for me (neoprene) and while I think the footage looks ok I really struggled with the fluke. I found it so floaty and had so much drag, and even though I had the screws in my monfin casing, the casing would still slip too far up and cut into my ankles/feet. I have tried a rapid (found it was too big and I couldn't keep the strap on and made the tail too short) and the foil (didn't fill the fluke out enough and shifts around too much) eventually I guess I'll need a shooter but I've already bought two monofins for this thing haha so I am not up for another one anytime soon. That's not meant to bash them because so many people have no problem swimming in these tails. I just can't. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roCVy4ZvjyU

Mermaid Cerulean
01-07-2019, 09:41 PM
So I just had my first swim in my Finfolk Oracle. It was ridiculously difficult. I was using the foil monofin, and it kept slipping up and out of the casing. I could barely get halfway across the pool in one breath where I was able to get from one end to the other and back again in just the Foil. Not to mention how incredibly slow I was going. When I got out of the pool, the fluke was ballooned up with the amount of water that had collected. I turned it upside down and a TON of water came out. I know it has drainage, as I saw trickles of water draining from the fluke when out of water. So am I doing something wrong? Also, I have some questions.
In regards to the monofin, where exactly is it supposed to sit in the casing?
How can I fix this problem?
Is this just how these tails are normally?
It is really a beautiful tail, though.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Siren Sappho
01-08-2019, 12:09 AM
I have the Oracle too. Swimming in a tail with a fluke that big is not meant to be fast. Itís a slower process. And also, before you get in the water, itís important to let your fluke get some water in so it doesnít balloon up. After that, my fluke never balloons. I canít answer your questions about the monofin since I donít have a foil.

Seairah
01-08-2019, 02:48 AM
Also; make sure that your drainage holes arenít stuck together. I have 2 FF tails, and on one of them the plastic liner was stuck together and I had to peel the layers apart. No more ballooning or drag! To prevent slippage, you might want to thread some string, shoelaces, or Velcro through the little slits in the sides of the plastic inserts and tie them tightly. I have a Shooter, so Iím not sure if the Foil is harder to secure or not. Finally, the Shooter probably provides more propulsion than the Foil. If you want a more efficient swim you might want to switch over to the Shooter. Hope this helps! 🧜*♀️❤️

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork

MermaidLiara
01-08-2019, 05:22 AM
So I just had my first swim in my Finfolk Oracle. It was ridiculously difficult. I was using the foil monofin, and it kept slipping up and out of the casing. I could barely get halfway across the pool in one breath where I was able to get from one end to the other and back again in just the Foil. Not to mention how incredibly slow I was going. When I got out of the pool, the fluke was ballooned up with the amount of water that had collected. I turned it upside down and a TON of water came out. I know it has drainage, as I saw trickles of water draining from the fluke when out of water. So am I doing something wrong? Also, I have some questions.
In regards to the monofin, where exactly is it supposed to sit in the casing?
How can I fix this problem?
Is this just how these tails are normally?
It is really a beautiful tail, though.

Yeah the foil is notoriously unrecommendable for a Finfolk fabric. I've heard zero good experiences about it. I don't understand why Finfolk keeps recommending and selling it.

The ONLY suitable monofins for a Finfolk fabric IMO are: Finis Shooter, Waterway DoZo (hard), and Waterway Mermaid (medium or hard). Everything else just makes the experience meh. And unsafe. Or doesn't fit.

Mermaid_Mari
01-08-2019, 05:43 AM
Iíve been using the adult linden monofin my my ff fabric and havenít had any slippage at all, it also helps with drag and the monofin is quite big

Mermaid Cerulean
01-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone, I will definitely try to get my hands on a stronger monofin. Sad to see the Foil doesnít work after all, despite Finfolkís recommendation.

Mermaid Delphinidae
01-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Thatís a shame, I really like my Foil and was hoping to find a tail that works with it at some point. Oh well, if I reach a point where I can buy a $300 tail I can pay a little more for the monofin.

MyLittleEcho
01-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Thank goodness i came to this thread! I just ordered my first tail ever, a fin folk fabric golden giza, and am looking for the monofin. a friend who also got a FFF recommended the Foil, but it looks like the shooter is indeed better (sad cause it's also $100 more).

Thanks everyone. This thread re: monofins also makes me nervous about neoprene breakdown. I'll be sure to be really careful!

AniaR
02-01-2019, 12:20 PM
I made this video back in December but didn't have time to edit it until now. (Sean did it for me!) Here is my full length review of my Finfolk Productions "Classic Cleo" with my classic disclaimer that I suck at swimming in fabric haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtpTULvHM5s

Ara Mermaid
02-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Good morning everyone! I am a foil user and like it! I got it because I really didn't need a lot of speed, I just wanted something comfortable and could get me where I need to go, eventually. I wear booties with it and my feet feel like they're sitting in pillows. I used ribbon to tie each hold of the casing together with the knots on the inside and it keeps my monofin from moving. It does make it trickier to take the vinyl in/out of the fluke, but I don't mind!

Trade Winds
02-07-2019, 08:27 PM
Can anyone give some sizing tips? I am thinking about a small in the stuff they got left on sale but my waist is a little over an inch more than what they list (a bit under 30). My hips are at 37. Can I get away with a small or should I do a medium? I feel if I do it'll be too big.

Also how do I measure calves and ankles? Is it around BOTH and not one?

Mermaid_Mari
02-07-2019, 09:15 PM
Can anyone give some sizing tips? I am thinking about a small in the stuff they got left on sale but my waist is a little over an inch more than what they list (a bit under 30). My hips are at 37. Can I get away with a small or should I do a medium? I feel if I do it'll be too big.

GO MEDIUM!! These tails tend to run small and itís definitely better to size up! I went with a small, I matched the measurements almost perfectly and I can only JUST get it on

YoungNebraskaMermaid
03-14-2019, 12:06 AM
I was considering buying a Fin Folk tail and getting a misprint (I don't really have $335 to spare) but the only ones left are in XXS. Does anyone have any idea when Fin Folk may be producing more tails? They mentioned new fabric tail designs for 2019.

YoungNebraskaMermaid
03-14-2019, 12:29 AM
I was considering buying a Fin Folk tail and getting a misprint (I don't really have $335 to spare) but the only ones left are in XXS. Does anyone have any idea when Fin Folk may be producing more tails? They mentioned new fabric tail designs for 2019.

Oh! I was looking at a FinFolk Instagram post from January and they stated that their fabric tails would now be only custom. They haven't followed up on that, but I hope they don't stop making the other ones because I assume the custom ones would be much more expensive

MermaidLiara
03-14-2019, 03:22 AM
@YoungNebraskaMermaid: I strongly suspect there will be new fabric tails in May. They will PROBABLY be $335 again, so you better save up quick. Or maybe you can get a second hand for cheaper? Keep in mind they run small.

Oh! I was looking at a FinFolk Instagram post from January and they stated that their fabric tails would now be only custom.

This is not true. Their fabric tails will never be custom. You misunderstood.

Magi
03-14-2019, 03:26 PM
Oh! I was looking at a FinFolk Instagram post from January and they stated that their fabric tails would now be only custom. They haven't followed up on that, but I hope they don't stop making the other ones because I assume the custom ones would be much more expensive

They have announced this week that their summer line has been confirmed. I would expect to see the new line in the next month or two. These will not be priced like the misprint tails though, you'll have to wait for a few months after the release to see those.

As for what you read on their IG... what they had been talking about was how they were not going to re-print any of their past tail designs, so no more prints of things like the Island Iris and are just going to be focusing on their new fabric designs. No custom fabric tails at this time.

YoungNebraskaMermaid
03-14-2019, 03:38 PM
They have announced this week that their summer line has been confirmed. I would expect to see the new line in the next month or two. These will not be priced like the misprint tails though, you'll have to wait for a few months after the release to see those.

As for what you read on their IG... what they had been talking about was how they were not going to re-print any of their past tail designs, so no more prints of things like the Island Iris and are just going to be focusing on their new fabric designs. No custom fabric tails at this time.

That makes sense, I guess I was confused by the wording of the post. It said "We will only be producing designs ONCE from now on" which I thought meant literally one tail, but it probably meant once it was listed, it would never be restocked. Thank you!

Magi
03-14-2019, 03:49 PM
That makes sense, I guess I was confused by the wording of the post. It said "We will only be producing designs ONCE from now on" which I thought meant literally one tail, but it probably meant once it was listed, it would never be restocked. Thank you!

Yep, that's what they meant ;) One time print, so if you like a tail design you better get it while you can since it won't be coming back.

Little_Orca
03-27-2019, 10:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_cLNObkrz4&amp;t

This was my unboxing back in November. I did not have a monofin yet, but here I am in all my after-work-and-tired-glory.

MidnightMer
07-10-2019, 01:57 AM
Hey everybody, I figured I would post this here as well as on my youtube channel in case it is helpful for anyone. This is my review of my Gen 2 Fabric Tail. I wasn't sure if videos could go in the review section of the forums, so this seems like a good thread for it.

https://youtu.be/mEz4oZ1uBIA

MerNetworkMod
08-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Hello, I am approving reviews over in the finfolk review section if you'd like to make one. You can leave an embedded video for your review as well. For information on how to post a review, and how to add pics or media, view this thread: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1591-INFORMATION-ABOUT-TAILMAKER-REVIEWS&p=16064#post16064

Nerdmaid Faith
09-10-2019, 06:48 PM
If anyone is interested in what a finfolk is like this is the video for you!
https://youtu.be/_W5kSNpKA84

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk

MermaidEmber
09-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Thank you! Your video is helping me look very seriously at a FinFolk neoprene tail!

BlueCorvidae
09-06-2020, 10:17 AM
I ordered finfolk fabric tails number three and four this year. I have Jupiter Jewel and the new All Hallow's Eve on order. My usual go-to color is blue so it feels weird having a couple of orange tails coming lol.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-06-2020, 10:36 AM
I ordered finfolk fabric tails number three and four this year. I have Jupiter Jewel and the new All Hallow's Eve on order. My usual go-to color is blue so it feels weird having a couple of orange tails coming lol.

Orange and other red/yellow hues look nicer in swimming pool water. Blue/greens tend to blend into the water more.

Nerdmaid Faith
11-01-2020, 08:05 PM
I got one of their brand new summer line of tails, all made in-house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnt8XR-s2Hg