PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids in the US - New Work Opportunity

SireniaSolaris
03-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Hello, Mers.

I haven't posted anything related to this yet, because so much of it was still in the planning stage, but boss man has officially given me the green light and order to start, so I want to share with you guys what is in the works, and the new opportunity that there is for professional mers in the US.

Some of you may have noticed me mentioning in other threads that I work with a children's entertainment company (our primary focus) called Balloon Distractions. Originally, B.D. was created to offer balloon twisting services in restaurants around the country. We are now an approved vendor for over 20 large restaurant chains. Balloon services expanded into other areas like face painting, glitter and airbrush tattoos, and more as we added more and more talented artists and entertainers to our team. Then, we had one of our finest entertainers and business women (she operates her own, individual party entertainment company) step up to head a new Events Division - a division where we would be offering wonderful entertainment for events. Many of us still have and continue to work with our own company as well. I am one such person, operating Perfect Party Productions (my party company) and Mermaids of Lunar Light. The rise of this division has not negatively affected any of us running a business - and I have spoken to many of our artists. On the contrary, what this has done, is created a sort of damage control and damage prevention for market values of our services.

See, we have grown to have thousands of entertainers around the nation now. Many of them are just individuals who have no idea as to the true value of their craft, and so those people have been unknowingly undercutting BADLY. One of my top girls here was doing this. I discovered that one of the girls I taught was doing balloon twisting at parties for $30 per hour!!!! The market value for that service is $100 per hour!!! So of course this is a terrible thing. And now these individuals are giving out company cards, still getting many parties and events booked, but are getting paid 3 times the amount they were charging. And we are preserving our market values in the process. The people taking these event calls and selling are also magicians when it comes to upselling. I can't tell you how many times now they have gotten calls for balloons and I got an extra job because they convinced the customer to "add on" face painting or mermaid games :)

So, that leads me to the opportunity arising here, for all of us :) The CEO of this company has asked me to head a division of the Events team - a Mermaid division. He wants a mermaid in every city around the US for parties and events. His company will never contact you asking you to do a free gig! They are not that kind of company. If we call someone with work, it is paid work, 100%.

The first thing he has asked me to do is locate existing, established mermaids around the country who would be happy to work parties and events in their area. There is really zero work on your part. You wouldn't have to do any kind of marketing, or anything, you would just submit your service area, your rates for the different things you offer (rates for birthday parties, rates for corporate events, etc), best way to contact you, and we would send you a form you would sign, consenting to a background check (all of our entertainers have clean backgrounds. It is an important selling point for our clients). And so, if we got any calls in your area (which we get many calls around the country every day - 10 callers work from 8AM EST to 7pm PST taking calls for special events), they would work their magical upselling powers to book a mermaid, call you, and get you an extra gig :) We collect full payment from our clients upfront, so one would not have to worry about being stiffed. Balloon Distractions is really a great company to work with. I've been with them for a nice long while and have only had good things come of it.

Now, just to clear up any chance of miscommunication - when I say established, I simply mean that you are someone self taught and able to work through your own means. Not "established" like some of the famous mermaids around. Basically, if you taught yourself how to dolphin kick, bought or made your own tail without the mermaid training's guidance, etc, you count as an established mermaid.

So, that being said, if anyone would be interested in this opportunity, please PM me with the requested info (that way your information is not all over the forum for just anyone to view).

As for the mermaid training I mentioned - that is what is coming. I have a course for my own company's mermaids, which I am expanding to be usable by anyone anywhere, actually. Underwater videographers will be hired to record the how tos of dolphin swimming, underwater ballet moves, modified underwater ballet moves in a monofin (and in time, a tail), safety points for being a mermaid, and much more. It is designed to be able to take a person who is interested in becoming a performing mermaid and offering all the training to launching them as a professional. Now, these mermaids would not have quite the same freedom as "established mermaids" as mentioned above. I would be receiving a cut from their pay outs to compensate me for my work in their success. They would also only be able to work through the company - they would have their own cards of course, but those who wanted to hire them would have to do so through the company. I still can't imagine anyone NEW to mermaiding complaining about receiving $100-$200/hr, possibly more, for being a mermaid at a party or event.

The established mermaids who join up now would be receiving all of their pay (which is why you tell us what you expect to be paid for various events), would obviously still continue to work in your own company (you just couldn't steal clients who already work with us), and so basically you guys would just get more work with no limits outside of general ethics.

For those interested in this opportunity, please do PM me your info! I will see how quickly I can get some calls coming your way :)

Also, tailmakers: I am putting together the final chapter of the mermaid manual which covers obtianing one's tail. There will be instructions on how to make any kind of tail (neoprene/fabric, latex, silicone), as well as include a list of suggested tailmakers for the various kinds of tails. I am putting people down who wish to be on this list (so I am seeking permission from anyone before I add them). Remember: I want only the best for the mermaids who enter the market through me :)

MermaidRaven
03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
:nocomment:

Mermaid Lorelei
03-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Huh. Not sure what I think of this.

New York Mermaid
03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow, that is interesting.

SireniaSolaris
03-14-2012, 02:40 PM
I'll be honest, Lorelei, I was a bit uneasy when I heard of the launch of the Events Division last year. Because of their existing position being so established nation wide, I was afraid they were going to undercut other companies (like mine) and run everyone else out of work. Some months back I actually had the opportunity at a business conference to sit down with Lori and go over more or less a book of questions and concerns I had regarding the program. I was probably the company's biggests skeptic at the time. She was very kind in addressing every question and concern I had and being very thorough with information. She was very honest as to answers she had, and answers she didn't have. Bottom line was that she was not about to run herself out of work. She would make sure she maintained her own company as a healthy one. And so prices in a given area for a given service are based on what the professionals of that area have as their standard rates.

This made me feel much better. Then, after being part of it for a while now, I was relieved to find that everything she said was, in fact, true and working as it should. Then I was approached regarding the CEOs vision - to have a mermaid in every city across america. Obviously, that's a little over the top. Some places are too cold, and there are plenty of small cities that can be put together and be considered one area to cover. But I get what he means. He'd like to have someone he could call for a pool party just about anywhere.

In my experience and understanding, it's a huge work opportunity. For an independent mer-performer like most of us here, it's just another avenue of getting a lot more work. From the traffic they tell me they are getting, I expect it should be very nice for us. :)

SireniaSolaris
03-14-2012, 02:43 PM
:nocomment:

If there are any questions, feel free to ask. I would happily share anything I know, and do my best to get answers for anything I wasn't 100% sure of.

Gem Stone
03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm considering it but I have a small problem. I absolutely won't do a birthday or holiday party, how much work would I still get? (standard work. I know that it varies from place to place)

Princess Kae-Leah
03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
I take this is just for swimMERs...

malinghi
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Every single result on google for "Balloon Distractions" says the company is a scam. It even says so in a Wall Street Journal article that the company unwisely chose to post a link to on its website:

Entrepreneurs such as Benjamin Alexander of Land O' Lakes, Fla., help explain why. Through his company, Balloon Distractions Inc., Mr. Alexander hires and trains balloon twisters from Seattle to Miami, booking them for four-hour gigs at restaurants.

"I took a corporate approach to balloons," says Mr. Alexander, who concedes he's not popular in the inner circles of ballooning. "Creative balloon artists make bad entrepreneurs."

Ballooning veteran Billy Damon of Orlando, Fla., a full-timer, says Balloon Distractions has wooed away some of his restaurant clients by charging $10 an hour -- about one-fifth of his going rate. Nearly all of the money goes to Balloon Distractions. The performers work mainly for tips.

source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125486684529168887.html?mod=WSJ_article_comments #articleTabs%3Darticle

Gem Stone
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
ooo, that doesnt exacly give me a warm fuzzy inside. um, if a mer was to work for them, would he payment thing be a problem? i don't think a lot of us would like to work for tips, or a least i wouldn't want to.

i just did some research as well and didnt find a lot of good reviews about them.

Kanti
03-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Well I guess that's why you should always research something before you get into it xD

Still, even $10 an hour sounds pretty nice to me, so you can't really ask for my opinion on the matter.

What exactly are entertainers like mermaids typically paid? I really don't know at all.

SireniaSolaris
03-14-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm considering it but I have a small problem. I absolutely won't do a birthday or holiday party, how much work would I still get? (standard work. I know that it varies from place to place)

Well, the company certainly does cater mostly to children's entertainment, hence most work is for parties. In my experience, I'd say I get about 1 corporate gig for every 10 private parties booked. It's still shouldn't be a problem. They would just make a note that you are only available for X and not Y. Everyone is entitled to work what they want to :)

SireniaSolaris
03-14-2012, 11:02 PM
I take this is just for swimMERs...

I know that they are going to be pushing this mainly with pool parties, so a lot of the work will be for swimmers, but you should still submit your info. I just booked myself a party today where there will be no pool or anything, but they definitely want a mermaid there! :D

SireniaSolaris
03-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Every single result on google for "Balloon Distractions" says the company is a scam. It even says so in a Wall Street Journal article that the company unwisely chose to post a link to on its website:

source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125486684529168887.html?mod=WSJ_article_comments #articleTabs%3Darticle

Ben isn't a popular person more for his temper than anything. Unless you are a head of anything, (regional partner, etc) you wouldnt deal with him. If anyone were to get to that point, Im sure they would learn how to deal with him in time. He doesn't bother me. I actually deal more with Lori than anything, and the events division is her baby. For Ben, he may have taken the corporate approach to things, but he is not the business body of the company, he's the visionary. He has big visions for something, but the thinker and the one who knows how to best execute that vision in a business sense is the vice president, Randy. Those two HAVE to be a team to make it work. They balance each other out.

As far as the restaurant balloon twisting goes, a regional partner is the one in charge of setting up new clients - I and many I know do not bother a restaurant who already has clients. There are SO many places one could set up work - it's silly to move in on a place who already has an entertainer when the place right next door is probably vacant.

For the claims of $10/hr charged to the restaurant - I can't see a possibility of that. For 1, Balloon Distractions needs at least $30 to pay their call checkers, maintain the scheduling system, and other expenses. Sales people are the ones who decide on a price above that - anything over 30 they keep each time the gig is worked. A sales person wouldnt bother selling something that they werent going to make any money off of, and we schedule 3 hour gigs.

In restaurants the twisters do work for tips - everyone who joins knows that and no one has a problem with that, because we walk out with an average of 80-120 per night. All the while, leaving our cards with everyone we make something for. Many of which later call us with high paying birthdays. So for me, this has allowed me to be a full time entertainer, 100% in control of my own schedule. I am a single mom supporting my baby, and doing quite well, honestly, in spite of the economy. And in this industry, there is so much work available, that I cant see anyone losing clients for restaurant balloon work. In any case, Ben does not run the orlando region. A man named Jim is in charge of anything that happens there.

It's also interesting to note that many of these companies that complain about Balloon Distractions - Balloonimations is one, Twist something or other (in Tampa), upon looking into it, I discovered that not only do their artists only work for tips, but they have to BID on the available gigs and actually PAY the company to work! Many people who seem to be out to bring them down are also disgruntled former team members - I've seen quite a few go myself who were let go because of poor conduct and ethics. For a short time, people ACTUALLY working for them began putting out public articles and videos about their good experiences and how it really was coming from people who actually work with them. We were asked to take these things down because of the riot doors it was opening and that our actual factual reputation would carry itself in spite of people out to bring us down on the internet.

And that much I have found true. Most any big restaurant I've approached didn't even need corporate approval to start service because we already had it. And the volume we are receiving in the events division speaks something, too.

In any case, the way restaurant work works is beside the point. No one else here is a balloon twister joining to work restaurants. The events division is completely different. You could almost look at it as a different company entirely, headed by Lori Hurley, who again, continues to run her own company just fine in addition to this. Basically, people call the 1800 number with an event in mind and tell the callers what they are looking for and where. The call-takers would try to expand the event as much as possible, and upon having the delight of the client, and verification that someone can take the gig and the pay they will receive, the event is booked, and the client pays then and there to B.D. over the phone. Upon completion of the gig, the performer checks the box that it is complete and fills out their report: a form that just verifies what time you get there, etc. Upon completion of that report, a check is sent out the following day. I have always received my pay within 3 days of completing an event.

So. Yeah. Works toooootally different.

SireniaSolaris
03-14-2012, 11:46 PM
ooo, that doesnt exacly give me a warm fuzzy inside. um, if a mer was to work for them, would he payment thing be a problem? i don't think a lot of us would like to work for tips, or a least i wouldn't want to.

i just did some research as well and didnt find a lot of good reviews about them.

No, no problem being paid. Again, comparing apples to oranges here. This opportunity has NOTHING whatsoever to do with restaurant balloon twisting. Those are completely different systems - almost could be considered separate companies. An event would come in, you would be given the specifics of the event as well as what it would pay. You would complete the gig and get paid.

And as mentioned above regarding many reviews, almost everything I have read in the past was speculation and assumption - the one person who actually works for them and has published things is Cody Williams, and as someone who works for them, his reviews are positive. I have only met one person who actually worked for them and had something bad to say - and he only had bad to say after he was fired for trying to take clients AND twisters for his own company. He maintains that he is innocent of this, but as someone who was solicited for this very thing, I can tell you that is a lie. He is as guilty as they come. But that's its own bunch of drama, and I for one have had enough drama to last me a lifetime. I maintain friendship with him, as do I with balloon distractions. I promise, if I found they were not beneficial to me or people I work with, I would simply not work with them. I have walked out on bs companies before. I'm fairly sure after 14 months, I'd be able to tell if a place was a sham, but I can definitely vouch for them after time and constant experience.

I could very easily work 100% on my own, however, I know I can go much further with them than I can alone. What they do works. And in my experience, everyone wins. Since I am not talking about restaurant balloon twisting here, I wont go into the details of how they work, though I would have no problem PMing the info if anyone is indeed interested in that.

What Im discussing here is simply the mermaid opportunities rising in the events division. Which is simply, a mermaid is needed at X gig, you will be paid X amount, you perform said gig, you get paid.

SireniaSolaris
03-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Well I guess that's why you should always research something before you get into it xD

Still, even $10 an hour sounds pretty nice to me, so you can't really ask for my opinion on the matter.

What exactly are entertainers like mermaids typically paid? I really don't know at all.

Im sure prices with vary from place to place around the country, but I've found the average in S. FL to be around $250/hr and in north FL around $300/hr. If we get 5 mermaids in an area, most quoting $300, and one quoting $200, we would stick to the average of $300. So even the $200 mermaid would be getting the average rate of $300, and hopefully inspire her to match her rate with the rest of the average.

Perfect example of damage prevention. :) Cuz I'm sure many of us here who are working professionally would be horrified if a mermaid went out and started working for $10/hr. That's a super yikes.

But yes, in general one should always research market values before offering something. That's actually WHY I don't belly dance anymore (or at least not often). The market value has dropped so much it isn't really worth it to me anymore. Now it's just something I do for hobby because it makes my heart feel happy :) Dancing and ocean swimming are the two most liberating things I've found for myself. I just feel like all the limiters there are are lifted and I can do anything, be anywhere... maybe it sounds silly, but dance was my first true love. And I hadn't felt a love like that until I took the Sirens of the Deep camp at weeki wachee springs where my mermaid journey really began. <3

Kanti
03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Holy geeze
$300 an hour!? That sounds way too good to be true. Is that even possible?
*dies*

SireniaSolaris
03-15-2012, 12:43 AM
lol, it's very possible - shoot, I'm sure some of the bigger name mermaids charge more. Actually, I know they do. But yes. Characters in general are often around that price range. The company I use when people request specific characters (that company has license rights, I do not) charges 250/hr, and two other girls I know who do the same independently charge 300.

Shoot, I was so sad I had to stop contortion training when I got pregnant. My best friend continued doing that and has since become the BEST contortionist in the Southeast US. Contortion jobs rarely go for under a grand and depending on the gig, a "show" is usually only 5-15 minutes. And the 15 minute ones are split up, and often not fully contortion - contortion mixed with dance.

There is definitely money to be made in entertainment. And if you love what you do, that makes it a recipe for perfect life :)

Before the market values dropped, Bellydance use to go for $200 for a 20 min show. I had shows booked like CRAZY back in '06/'07. Man, do I miss that. These days it's usually around $150/hr. Once in a while I get a job from old clients who don't mind the old prices since they liked my work. But it is few and far between. The years I spent away from South FL left me pretty forgotten :-\

For entertainment of any kind, your bottom line that you can expect to look at is usually $100/hr. It really is a good thing to be in in these times. And I firmly believe that you can ALWAYS find work if you go about it the right way.

Kanti
03-15-2012, 12:50 AM
I guess it depends on how good your tail is.
Cause I actually just went to a renaissance fair and they had someone there (I guess she was being paid, they got her a bunch of signs and everything) and, not to be
mean, but her tail, no- her whole outfit wasn't even that good.
I won't go into it, but she was there and people were mighty impressed with her regardless.

Either way, $300, even $100 sounds really damn good. I couldn't imagine telling that to someone. I'd expect them to say "uhh yea right" and walk away xD

Mermaid Lorelei
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I have to admit that I'm still not liking this idea. Personal feelings, I suppose.

Gem Stone
03-15-2012, 03:17 PM
I am impressed by all of sirenia Solaris' answers and that money sounds really good. Especially cause I can choose which parties I do. I'm seriously thinking about it. It sounds like a good deal, right?

Kanti
03-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Based on how it was described, it just seems like using a website or company to find job listings. They simply notify you of what's going on and you decide whether or not you want to go. I dunno if they expect part of your salary or not, but I don't think you have to associate yourself with these people if you don't want to.

I guess I've never had any jobs like this so I have no idea what to expect.

Gem Stone
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Based on how it was described, it just seems like using a website or company to find job listings. They simply notify you of what's going on and you decide whether or not you want to go. I dunno if they expect part of your salary or not, but I don't think you have to associate yourself with these people if you don't want to.

Me neither

malinghi
03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
While what they do appears to be legal, personally I don't really like it. Based on what I read about this company, here's my understanding: Balloon Distractions has a huge number of entertainers across the country that can be hired through them. Balloon Distractions collects most of the money and gives the performer a small share, or makes them work for tips.

Of course you don't have to work for them if you don't want to, but you'd still have the problem of competing with their cheap, underpaid performers. Some places point out that its a good way to get your start if you're new to balloon twisting (or professional mermaiding in this case). But personally I feel very strongly opposed to any company or institution that exercises too much influence or control over anything, and I can see how Balloon Distractions could possibly take over the mermaiding industry.

But that's just my opinion.

Kanti
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Ohhh so they want to take your money?
I tried signing up to be a tutor through some online shindig like that once and yea, they weren't completely unreasonable, but they wanted to pay me through their system. So essentially 100% of the money went to them, then they recycled it amongst themselves and decided what I would get. Either way, you're essentially paying the company to get you out there. Maybe the bad ratings for this business are mainly because the people working for them don't get much work AND then on top of that they are forced only to work for an unfair cut.

I'd think getting work as a professional mermaid would be easy if you pitched it enough. I bet a couple weekends at the beach or public pools handing out cards would get you a bunch of interested customers~ Sure you'd probably have to do a bunch of "free" events where you just show off the tail, but is that really that hard? I would enjoy every minute xD

SireniaSolaris
03-16-2012, 10:07 PM

No, Kanti. You would be an independent contractor with them. By taking a gig they offer, you would be representing them at that gig, and thus be expected to display your best professionalism. If they had a gig that fit what you do, they call you and give you the details to see if you want to work it. If you accept, you are going as a rep. of Balloon Distractions. If you wish to advertise your service at the gig, you can give out THEIR cards with YOUR name on it so they can call and request you again. It is basic ethics in business - you never advertise your own company to someone else's client. They would be Balloon Distraction's clients.

As for pay, you get exactly what is quoted. If you say you will only work for $300/hr, they will likely charge the client $310 or $315 and they would retain the extra to pay for their scheduling systems and customer service reps. You know exactly what you would be paid because it is in print on the schedule. Artist Pay: $XXX.XX

Once you complete the gig and submit your completion form, they mail you the check. Again, I have worked several gigs now and not had a single problem with anything.

SireniaSolaris
03-16-2012, 10:47 PM
While what they do appears to be legal, personally I don't really like it. Based on what I read about this company, here's my understanding: Balloon Distractions has a huge number of entertainers across the country that can be hired through them. Balloon Distractions collects most of the money and gives the performer a small share, or makes them work for tips.

Of course you don't have to work for them if you don't want to, but you'd still have the problem of competing with their cheap, underpaid performers. Some places point out that its a good way to get your start if you're new to balloon twisting (or professional mermaiding in this case). But personally I feel very strongly opposed to any company or institution that exercises too much influence or control over anything, and I can see how Balloon Distractions could possibly take over the mermaiding industry.

But that's just my opinion.

Malinghi, I feel like you have totally ignored my response to your last post. I'm sorry but you are dead wrong. First off, you are still comparing apples to oranges: talking about restaurant work when I am trying to talk about a party business. But yet again, I shall break this down for you and further explain how they do not take hardly anything at all:

In restaurants: A sales person sells the service for say, $80 per service (if we service the restaurant once a week, it is $80 per week). $30 of that amount automatically goes to the following:

Only $15 goes to Balloon Distractions. This $15 from each gig is what pays for EVERYTHING - a very very advanced and expensive IT system that is the core of how balloon distractions works on the scale that it does, pays for the call checkers (people hired to call at the end of each shift to insure the client was satisfied with service and report on any dissatisfaction - another of our huge selling points), the people who work in the office handling any issues, and the rent and utilities for the office itself. There are a LOT of bills to cover and balloon distractions takes VERY little to do it.

$10 goes to the person who trained the artist who fills the gig, and $5 to the person who trained the trainer - crew and subcrew pay. It's how people are compensated for training another artist - that way you know you will get something back for the time you put in and know you won't just be having someone who will take your favorite gigs away.

The artist himself goes in and does indeed work for tips. I do this anywhere from 3-9 times a week. Shifts are generally 3 hours, but you are free to come early and/or stay later if you think you will make more money that way. I have never made less than $12/hr - and that was at some SLOW restaurants that I stopped service with in my region. I only want good gigs for my artists. So. That being said, THESE days I never make less than $20/hr. In a 3 hr gig I make anywhere from $70-$120 regularly. That alone is a fine living, but then I utilize it for the marketing opportunity. I leave everyone I make something for with a balloon distractions business card with my name and artist number. Thats how I have so many people call in requesting me. That is how RESTAURANT gigs work.

Now for what I am talking about: For parties, their artists are in a system with the services they offer and prices they require. For services, they charge the AVERAGE going rate for the service in an area. Most of us also set our prices. Bill the magician will only work for $250/hr. So Balloon Distractions sells for $260, or $275 so that they can make a little to compensate the work and expenses necessary for this events division. Perfect example came from regional partner, Linda Amato - she was at the balloon jam I just attended Thurs night. She had worked out an event with three locations of the same company. They were each serviced for 1 hr and charged $110 a piece. All three artists who filled the gig were paid $100.

So... as someone who is nosey and investigates what is going on in the company as well as someone who has been happily working with them for a long while, I can 100% dispute your statement, "Balloon Distractions collects most of the money and gives the performer a small share." Very very false. $10 of $110 is not even 10%. While Ben might have a temper, he is not greedy - he drives a prius and lives in a very modest home with very modest means. He just loves what he does. He is certainly not banking off of it.

And you are right - you do not have to work with them. I am in no way forcing this on the community, I am simply sharing the opportunity that was given to me in hopes that some of my fellow mers can come into a lot more work since they certainly generate the traffic to get work. There will always be competition, however, no one here will be competing with "cheap, underpaid performers" as you put it. Their rates will be equal to, if not a tiny bit more that your rates or mine, however, because of their reputation, great selling points, and professionalism, they absolutely do generate a ton more traffic than any little, local business I've seen, including my own. I have lost no business. I still do just as much business independently as I always have. I market to people and bring in traffic, and they market to people and bring in traffic. It is no more competition than you bringing a friend into the mermaid scene. Even less so, because before I begin training any new mermaids anywhere, I'm asking all of you already-established mers if you would like to make yourselves available to take these mermaid calls. All it would do is give you extra work you wouldn't have had before. Because, again, most of these calls are calls about balloons or face painting, and our magical people upsell like their lives depend on it. Hence once gig is often work for two people, so, it's quite nice.

As far as being a "monopoly" or anything like that - I was once worried myself about something like that, but as long as I have been with them now, I've still come across many many individuals who continue to service restaraunts - companys too, and my business, and everyone else's who works with them; Lori's, Ray Walsh's, Cody's, Heather's, Jack's, and more, have not suffered any losses. Just as we would not solicit their clients, neither do they solicit mine. My restaurant that I have been doing Henna and face painting in through my own company has never been bothered, nor any other commercial clients I service, including but not limited to Old Navy, the Zoo, the Y, the City of Margate, the City of Lake Worth, a commissioner in Coral Springs, and others. We all take our ethics seriously. And more importantly, Ben listens to Lori, who is VERY level headed and fair with everything. She is really a wonderful lady and I can think of no one better to head that dept. than her.

I hope I have been able to shed some light on the misconceptions you seem to have had about Balloon Distractions.

And again, to anyone; I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have to the furthest extent of my knowledge and will do my best to find out anything I may not know. I get nothing out of telling you guys about this. Any compensation I might receive in the future will be from training new mermaids, so I am simply trying to share an opportunity here. Some people prefer to work 100% independently - that's fine of course. I just don't want anymore misinformation about the company floating around uncorrected out there. There's already too many disgruntled former I.C.'s and speculators making too many untrue comments that people take to heart and take as fact. Here, I want the true facts to be known. Straight from a simple person who works with them. I'm nothing special - not an RP, though I seem to do all the work to run this region. Of course, the way they work, I DO get compensated for the work I do. And so yeah. That's that for my tangent on "about Balloon Distractions".

As for this thread, I stated the opportunity. Some won't and don't like the idea. That's fine, you are free to work with whom you choose. Some do like the idea, and for those who do, super, and I hope we can get some calls coming your way soon. Just need to get the info from you that was requested in the original post:)

SireniaSolaris
03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Ohhh so they want to take your money?
I tried signing up to be a tutor through some online shindig like that once and yea, they weren't completely unreasonable, but they wanted to pay me through their system. So essentially 100% of the money went to them, then they recycled it amongst themselves and decided what I would get. Either way, you're essentially paying the company to get you out there. Maybe the bad ratings for this business are mainly because the people working for them don't get much work AND then on top of that they are forced only to work for an unfair cut.

I'd think getting work as a professional mermaid would be easy if you pitched it enough. I bet a couple weekends at the beach or public pools handing out cards would get you a bunch of interested customers~ Sure you'd probably have to do a bunch of "free" events where you just show off the tail, but is that really that hard? I would enjoy every minute xD

No, they don't want to take "your money". You decide what you want to set as your prices. And when a gig comes up, there is a very black and white "Artist Pay: $XXX.XX" listed. What it says is what you will get. Yes they collect from the client, and issue you that amount once you have completed the gig. There is no 'deciding what to give you' because that is established before the gig is even confirmed. If you don't want it, you say thanks but no thanks and that's that.

As an independent contractor, you are more than welcome to do your own thing - give out your own personal cards when you are at the beach, or pool, or w/e. When I am not working a balloon distractions gig, I give out my own cards. It is how I get my business. When I work their gigs, I give out their with my name on it because it is the proper thing to do.

As for free events, I know there are mermaids who have done that to get their name out their and grow their publicity. Because I do what I do for a living and to support my baby, I work strictly for profit. I need to to live. Might not get famous (and that's fine, I do what I do cuz I like it, not for name recognition), but I am making my living doing something I love, so that's just perfect to me.

MermaidRaven
03-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Yep...don't like this at all. But I had a feeling it was coming.

Prince Calypso
03-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Yep...don't like this at all. But I had a feeling it was coming.

not to put down what you do but i must agree with mermaid Raven. the entire thing does sound a bit more than fishy (no pun intended)
i have aspiration to become a public mermaid figure but i'm a money in hand kinda person and would prefer my check up front
honestly it sounds like a scam to me and honestly i would rather take my chances on my own
really all it would take is a good tail, the right make up and posing in a few pics with the right mermaid celeb.
Raven, Raina, Hannnah etc.

SireniaSolaris
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
not to put down what you do but i must agree with mermaid Raven. the entire thing does sound a bit more than fishy (no pun intended)
i have aspiration to become a public mermaid figure but i'm a money in hand kinda person and would prefer my check up front
honestly it sounds like a scam to me and honestly i would rather take my chances on my own
really all it would take is a good tail, the right make up and posing in a few pics with the right mermaid celeb.
Raven, Raina, Hannnah etc.

I don't think Raven's comment has anything to do with fishiness (you may correct me if I'm wrong, Raven). I think she is not a fan of the idea, and not everyone will be. I am in no way trying to push that. Everyone is and will continue to be entitled to their own opinion.

It is certainly not a scam at all. I've worked with them a long time. As far as check/cash upfront - you have to understand that things work differently in a large business than they do as small companies, and as individuals. Working as an individual, I use to collect cash upfront at a gig. Once I launched my company, I collect a small deposit from the client (my cut), and allow my girls to collect their portion (the amount remaining) at the gig. Lori's company is larger than mine, and she cannot trust everyone as well as I trust my girls. There have been times that some of her workers did not show up to a gig, or did something horrible that would warrent a returned pay. In Lori's personal company, an artist actually has to pay her a 'penalty' of sorts if they do something that would cost her lost revenue (by means of a necessary refund to the customer). So one of two things happen following the completion of a gig - either she pays the artist, or the awall artist pays her.

Balloon Distractions is huge. And certainly not all of their artists can be trusted. More than once people have not showed up for a gig, or even worse - stolen clients. Because this exists and will continue to happen from time to time, they cannot pay out a gig until it has been completed. Any large party company I know of works the same way. So long as the company is solid in paying their people, it is a fine system. I know of a company in North FL that is very new, and have heard of artists doing work and having to hound the owner to get paid. This does not happen with Balloon Distractions. They would not be in business for the many many years they've been if this happened. Shoot, I wouldn't work with them if it happened. So rest assured, there is no scam here. It is simply the way larger companies work.

As for self promotion, you really don't even need all of that. MeduSirena in Miami is big news here in FL, and I am constantly dumbstruck that she STILL uses nothing more than a fabric tail. Sometimes it is nothing more than creating the right character and exposure opportunity. I think her weekly work at the wreck bar is what has helped make her so successful. Of course a great tail and being included in circles with famous mermaids will always be a boost for you. There are many ways to promote yourself. Exposure is key, though, in my experience. So if you can get involved with an aquarium, snorkeling tours (if you live near a coast and there is a dive shop nearby, or something), and other such things. People don't have to worry about 'invasion' per say, by Balloon Distractions, because as stated, they are not going to be doing anything to outright promote it. They will simply be upselling birthday parties or special events in the beginning, and then working with calls they get from those birthday parties and special events. You'd better believe that I still work my tail off promoting myself around town. Remember - exposure, exposure, exposure. Impliment that right and any individual mermaid/merman can be totally successful all by his/her self :)

Mermaid~Emi
03-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I am slightly interested, but i am going to wait for awhile before i consider joining mainly because i am a fairly new mermaid. I am still working on teaching myself the dolphin kick and I need to fix my tail or just get a new one. (I might just make a new one since the tail i currently have was my first and practice tail and the stitching keeps coming apart v_v )