PDA

View Full Version : Professional Mermaiding as a Solo act or Group?

Sea Pearl
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
For professional mermaiding what would your opinions and thoughts be about performing as a group act as opposed to going solo? And how would one go about looking into something like that or putting one together? For me I’ve always felt more comfortable being part of a group and with other people then being on my own…I sometimes get very shy and nervous. It’s something I’ve pondered about for a while and would love some input.

Spindrift
03-20-2012, 10:17 PM
If I ever get around to putting together a show it'd be me and one other mer. Although due to scheduling conflicts and distance, I might also consider going solo part-time. I like collaborating with other people because it helps bring new ideas to the table, provided that everyone is as dedicated as everyone else. :)

AniaR
03-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Im solo currently, but If there's enough of a demand I'd love to hire other girls. Basically, I just pass things on to Mimi when I can

Prince Calypso
03-20-2012, 11:56 PM
i think i would prefer solo. not that it wouldn't be great to work with a few other mermaids but i thinks starting out solo is best for me. i handle things so much better business wise when it comes to such things

Mermaid Lorelei
03-21-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm probably going to be working with others frequently, but my goal is to either work solo, or work with my guy (who is amazing and wants me to make him a tail now. XD)

Gem Stone
03-21-2012, 01:15 AM
I'd like to work solo but then again a group could be fun!

Kanti
03-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Group would be super fun I think!
I'd love to do something with my boyfriend but I dunno if he'd like the whole tail thing xD

happyguava
03-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Most of my paid work has been solo, but I've done a lot of volunteer/media stuff with my fellow Mermaidens. Working together is ridiculously fun, I feel so lucky I've got other mermaids to share the madness with :)

SireniaSolaris
03-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Most of my paid work has been solo, but I've done a lot of volunteer/media stuff with my fellow Mermaidens. Working together is ridiculously fun, I feel so lucky I've got other mermaids to share the madness with :)

That's me, too. I did have someone call last month about hiring two mermaids, but that fell through unfortunately. Groups can be done in one of two ways: Depending on the venue, you can actually put an actual show together. This woud be good for places like aquariums, and other places with windows that view the underwater space. Or, you and your fellow mer/mers could just be more or less chilling together. I remember seeing some really old footage of mertailor and mermaid melissa in the tank at a corporate event. Didn't look like anything was choreographed out per say. So, there you have it.

While I find it fun to be with other mers, for jobs, I personally prefer solo work, only because it makes things so much more simple. It's less I have to worry about and account for. I'm just able to do my thing and it is all good. :)