PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Books? :)

Amethyst
03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
The other day I just had an urge to read a Mermaid book. No idea why lol I then realised that all the mermaid books I have aren't really stories or novels etc there more information etc :confused: So I went on an internet search and it's quite surprising how many book titles out there have the word 'Mermaid' in it but don't actually feature any mermaids at all!! :doh: That was kinda annoying lol but then I found a book called 'Ingo' on Ebay and bought it for 99p! :D

'Ingo is an underwater world discovered by Sapphire and her brother, Conor. They live in Cornwall with their mother and father, enjoying the perfect life they live, swimming, surfing and exploring the sea.

However, when their father goes missing, and Conor starts disappearing for hours on end down by the rocks, everything seems strange until Sapphire finds Ingo-an exiting but dangerous world beneath the waves.

Sapphire and Conor also meet Faro and Elvira, two mer-people who live in the sea. They introduce Sapphire and Conor to their world.'

Once I bought it, I then realised that the book is actually book 1 of 5!! :D So hopefully I'll enjoy this and get to read the others :) but just incase that 'Ingo' isn't my kind of thing, can anyone else reccomend any good Mermaid books for me?? :) I'm 28, so I don't mind if there for adults or even if there for teens, I'll probably still enjoy it, I'm a big kid! lol :)

Mermaid Lorelei
03-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I've actually read Ingo. It's a decent read. :> I haven't read the following books though.

The Twins of Petaybee by Anne McCaffery is good too.

babsannee
03-21-2012, 03:37 PM
"Mermaid" by Carolyn Turgeon is really good! It's a retelling of the original Little Mermaid. It's really well written.
I'd love to know what you think of Ingo! I want to read it if it's good.

NorthernPearl
03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
I just finished reading Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Helene Boudreau a few days ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the writing, but I wound up thoroughly loving the book and excited about the next one in the series. (The next one isn't due to be released until May. Sadface!)

Mermaasai
03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
I think this was the first mermaid book I ever read, and it certainly left an impression for me...

Now its just surrounded in nostalgia.. and I'm going to have to dl it and read it on my kindle again now.. dammit..

http://www.amazon.com/Sirena-Donna-Jo-Napoli/dp/0590383892

Alveric
03-21-2012, 04:18 PM
What a coincidence!;) I think I'll be rude and plug my own book!

The Accidental Mermaid has just gone live and is available at http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/AdvancedSearch/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=The+accidental+mermaid in both hard and soft cover. It should be available in e-format and on Amazon and Barnes and Nobles in a few weeks.

Alveric

Amethyst
03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone! :D These books sound great! :D Congrats on publishing a book Alveric!!! :D Will it be available in the UK? :)

Alveric
03-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't know. I hope so.

Nate Walis
03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't know. I hope so.

It'd be a shame if we were denied it over here.

SweeteSiren
03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
My daughter reads a mermaid series; the first book is called "The Tail of Emily Windsnap". (The fact that she shares a name with the title character may have helped to catch her interest...) It's a kid/teen series, but well-written enough that I enjoyed it too.

Sea Pearl
03-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Sometimes I'll look all over for mermaid fiction...Amazon, ebay etc. I wish there was more written but I can name a couple of books for you to look for. They are romances.
Adult Novels:
Mermaid by Judy Gill
The Mermaid Wife Rebecca Winters
Aequana by Linda Mooney (Girl in novel is not actually a full mermaid but instead has gills and can breath underwater.)
Caught by Suprise (Book 3 in a four part series The Tale of the Sea. About three sisters and a brother who are all merpeople.)
Catch of a Life Time by Judi Fennell
Teen Novels:
Forgive My Fins - Tera Lynn Childs

That's all I can think of at the moment. If I can think of some more I'll post them up.

Amethyst
03-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks that's great!!! :D I have a feeling I'm going to be needing another bookcase soon, these all sound really interesting!!! lol :D

Moonflower
03-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I've been working on a paranormal romance series of my own, featuring mermen (and mermaids) for a while now, but haven't had anything published yet.

Cat Adams has an interesting series involving vampires, shapeshifters, demons and sirens. Not sure if sirens are still in the same category as mermaids, but hers do live in the sea. Her second book is called "Siren Song" and, no I haven't read it yet, but I did read the first, "Blood Song" and did very much enjoy it.

Moonflower
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
There's also "Please Forgive My Fins" (at least I think that's the title) which is a YA series... I haven't read it, and am unsure of the author's name. The summary didn't seem very original to me - I think it was "a mermaid princess takes refuge on land and has to deal with not getting splashed with water, all while falling for the captain of the HS swim team."

Amethyst
03-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks! :D My wish list on ebay and amazon is going to be huge lol
I recieved my Ingo book yesterday and I'm really enjoying it!! I'm up to chapter 8! lol I think I would have read more and more of it but I have to go bed at some point lol :D
It's very detailed and original! I've not read something like this before :)

Gem Stone
03-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Wow. I have to go to Hastings now. Lol :lol:

Amethyst
03-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I've finished the Ingo book!! :D I couldn't put it down today!! lol I am definitely buying the second book of the series 'The Tide Knot'. The end of Ingo leads off for the next book, so you have to get it because you want more answers!!! lol

Mermaid Sirena
03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
@Mermaasai I agree completely I love Sirena (can you guess where all my mer inspiration comes from) and have a copy of it I keep with all of my special books.

I also really like the Tail of Emily Windsnap, excellent series.

Gem Stone
03-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Theres a book series I enjoyed called dolphin tales or something. It isn't about a mermaid but instead follows a girls travels on a ship with her family to study dolphins. I liked it

carolynturgeon
03-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey, thank you! =) I'm so glad you liked it!

"Mermaid" by Carolyn Turgeon is really good! It's a retelling of the original Little Mermaid. It's really well written.
I'd love to know what you think of Ingo! I want to read it if it's good.

carolynturgeon
03-27-2012, 10:05 AM
There's also "Please Forgive My Fins" (at least I think that's the title) which is a YA series... I haven't read it, and am unsure of the author's name. The summary didn't seem very original to me - I think it was "a mermaid princess takes refuge on land and has to deal with not getting splashed with water, all while falling for the captain of the HS swim team."

They're by Tera Lynn Childs, whom I interviewed here: http://iamamermaid.com/2011/03/04/tera-lynn-childs-teen-mermaid-novels/
=)

Sarah Porter also has a mermaid trilogy. The first is "Lost Voices," the second comes out this summer...

Mermaid Momo
03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
i read lost voices and it was amazing! im waiting for the next one to come out.
the mermaid on the cover is in our community but i cant remember who it is exactly. i've looked everywhere for her name again but can't find it. this is the second book coming out this july:
and i just found this website:http://merbooksblog.blogspot.com

Gem Stone
03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
i read lost voices and it was amazing! im waiting for the next one to come out.
the mermaid on the cover is in our community but i cant remember who it is exactly. i've looked everywhere for her name again but can't find it. this is the second book coming out this july:
and i just found this website:http://merbooksblog.blogspot.com

Whats the first one about?

babsannee
03-28-2012, 02:44 PM
My daughter reads a mermaid series; the first book is called "The Tail of Emily Windsnap". (The fact that she shares a name with the title character may have helped to catch her interest...) It's a kid/teen series, but well-written enough that I enjoyed it too.

I loved the emily windsnap series!

ScheherazOdd
03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I just finished The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R, Kiernan and I absolutely loved it. It was ten kinds of brilliant.

http://weirdfictionreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/kiernan-drowning-girl-cover.jpg

ScheherazOdd
03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
I hadn't seen the cover for Waking Storms before and...damn, it's gorgeous!

Mermaid Momo
03-28-2012, 08:44 PM
well this girl named luce is living with her uncle in alaska because her father disappeared on a fishing boat a year ago. Her uncle is very abusive and a drunk and is hanging on the past (her dad stole his girlfriend which is her mom) one day, in a drunkin fit, he believes luce to be her mother and proceeds to try and rape her. but he comes to his senses and leaves her on the cliff. She looses her will to live and falls off the cliffs into the icy waters below to realise that she's become a mermaid with a voice to sink ships.She meets a small group of other mermaids and finds out that they sink ships for fun and have no remorse or guilt about it but she decides that she doesn't want to be like them and practices to make her song one that will save humans instead of kill them. This creates tension in the group and some other things take place that i'm not going to tell. ;) and she decides that she has to do something about her mermaid friends.

It's really good. The author's word choice is so amazing it feels like you are luce instead of just looking at her. you feel every emotion she does and at times you'll be crying a bit. i highly recommend it.

Gem Stone
03-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Now I wanna read it

Amethyst
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
I recieved the second book to 'Ingo' today! 'The Tide Knot' :D Gonna start reading it tonight! Can't wait! I need answers!!! lol :D

Why is this post before the other 2 posts????? I posted this last! What's going on?????

Amethyst
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah me too! That sounds really good :D

Mermaid Lorelei
03-31-2012, 12:44 AM
I highly recommend Lost Voices.

Thalassa
07-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I just finished reading Ingo...and now have the urge to nearly drown myself. XP The descriptions in Ingo of just letting go of Air and letting Ingo in are so CONVINCING!

...Please tel me I'm not the only one...XP

MerEmma
09-25-2012, 02:01 PM
I LOVED Ripple and the Fins Series (by Tera Lynn Childs, as previously mentioned). Ripple is shorter, but darker as well, about more of a siren setting than a mermaid. Loved them both a LOT.

Triton-Mahtlinnie
09-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Anyone else read the Fred Mermaid series by Mary Janice Davidson? it's one of my absolute favs.

The first one is Sleeping with the Fishes

And the next two are Swimming without a Net, and Fish out of Water.

The series deals with Fred, a half mermaid who works as a marine biologist at a Boston aquarium. And her life is turned crazy one day when she has to deal with both a hot fellow marine biologist, and the sexy prince of the Merfolk who shows up at her house demanding her help.

It's a standard love triangle "can't choose between them" arrangement, but Fred is such a great character and the storylines so entertaining I don't really care. And the second and third books involve plenty of merpeople and their society.

EnidDarkWater
09-25-2012, 04:18 PM
@exdraghunt read the fred the mermaid series and loved it so much. ate the books alive, reading them in one day then hating the wait for the next one! I was sad to read the last book but they were very very amusing!