PDA

View Full Version : double-tailed tail

Mermaid Momo
03-23-2012, 11:15 PM
i've been planning how to make a really unique tail i was wondering how practicle others think it is. i dont have a scanner currently to scan the design in or a camera so i'll describe it for now. the only big difference that instead of one fluke, it'll have two. one large main fluke with the monofin inside it and on top of that one starting about a few inches above the ankles is a smaller fake fluke that will be completely translucent. i went over the part about keepin the fake fluke from rising in the water and flopping over when i take pictures of it in the air by using a piece of velcro attached to the bottom of the fake fluke and the top of the tail under it to keep it down. does a double-fluke design sound very practicle?
though i must say that i find the sketch very beautiful i worry about how it will look once turned into a real tail. once i get a picture of it, i'll be sure to post it so everyone will have more of an idea as to what i'm talking about

Artisankatie
03-24-2012, 12:54 AM
You mean kind of like a double tailed goldfish? Cos if so, I think that would make a gorgeous tail!

Mermaid Momo
04-06-2012, 12:19 PM
like this2342

Ayla of Duluth
04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
I actually really like that design, and I think with enough planning, it should work just fine.
my only question would be, if you're going to use velcro to hold the transparent fluke in place, won't it be easily seen? maybe you could use something like spirit gum instead to hold it up when you're dry modeling. just an idea. I've never had experience with spirit gum, but I hear it works really well to keep whatever in place.

Kanti
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Hmmm that looks really cool but where would your feet be? o.O
The top tail I assume, right?

Mermaid Momo
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I actually really like that design, and I think with enough planning, it should work just fine.
my only question would be, if you're going to use velcro to hold the transparent fluke in place, won't it be easily seen? maybe you could use something like spirit gum instead to hold it up when you're dry modeling. just an idea. I've never had experience with spirit gum, but I hear it works really well to keep whatever in place.
the top tail is the fake one. the largest one is where my monofin and feet will be.(the smaller one will start at a little above my ankles.) i was thinking that i would use translucent latex to hold it down because i realised that there really isnt a reason for it to just be flopping around anyway. XD so i was going to put it in three spots( the sides of the larger tail, and the part right underneath it where i drew that black dot.)

Mermaid Lorelei
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
That's a very interesting design. I'd like to see what it looks like if you can make it happen. :>

Kanti
04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
That'd be pretty badass :'D
If you ever find clear latex let me know xD I'd love some right about now
but I can't seem to find any ):

Mermaid Momo
04-06-2012, 03:39 PM
i found some on amazon and some other site i cant remember right now but i did write it down somewhere and once i find it again, i'l be more than happy to post it.

merboy78xy
04-07-2012, 03:02 AM
hey! that is a really cool design! VERY unique! :) I like I like!

SireniaSolaris
04-07-2012, 06:03 AM
oooo, very nice, and very different! Reminds me a tiny bit of the "heel fins" I'm putting on my tail design - it's two separate fins at the top and they should stretch over my heels, helping to hide them.

This additional fluke of yours should do the same. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. I suppose the only cautionary thought I would have is regarding your usage for the tail. Do you intend to use in pretty much in just tanks/pools/ bodies of water without currents? I think in the ocean, it might create too much drag. But other than that, I don't see any other problems arising. I'd like to see this tail come to be :)

Mermaid Sirena
04-07-2012, 11:28 AM
I can't wait to see how you manifest this dream, it looks like it is going to be quite unique.

Mermaid Momo
04-07-2012, 05:37 PM
oooo, very nice, and very different! Reminds me a tiny bit of the "heel fins" I'm putting on my tail design - it's two separate fins at the top and they should stretch over my heels, helping to hide them.

This additional fluke of yours should do the same. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. I suppose the only cautionary thought I would have is regarding your usage for the tail. Do you intend to use in pretty much in just tanks/pools/ bodies of water without currents? I think in the ocean, it might create too much drag. But other than that, I don't see any other problems arising. I'd like to see this tail come to be :)
yeah i thought about that too. but since i'm very land locked( arizona) im not going to be swimming an any oceans and the lakes are so deep and murky that i wont be swimming in them with tail as heavy as this'll probably be because i have no idea what's in them. and i'm starting my monofin this summer since i'm getting a summer job and we've finally moved to a house where my dad said i can work on the tail. So i'm going to start a thread with my progress and journey when i begin on my monofin.

LittleTreasure
05-17-2012, 02:02 PM
That is SO friggin awesome!! Can't wait to see more! :thumbs-up:

Mermaid Saphira
05-30-2012, 06:19 PM
like this2342

PRETTY!!! <3

Mermaid Dottie
05-30-2012, 06:23 PM
I think it would be no more problematic than heel fins would be. it could even be useful for hiding a zipper or velcro to an opening for your heel straps. think of how much easier it would be to put your monofin on!