PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Hair Extensions & Accessories

mermaidondine
03-24-2012, 01:23 AM
I was planning on making some special clip-in hair extensions for myself, but then that got me thinking about making some special mer-esque clip-in hair extensions/accessories to sell! I was curious to find out though if anyone would buy something like that?

Like, I was toying with creating human hair extensions (so you can straighten/curl/style them with your real hair) that would come on really pretty clips decorated with shells and glitter and the like. The hair itself could be natural-looking in color or even different colors, like pink or blue, or ombre/dip-dyed depending on customers' needs...

http://mermaidondine.webs.com/mermaidhairex1.png

I know personally there are things that I would love to do to my hair color-wise, but can't due to restrictions at my main, every day job, and I figured there may be other mers in the same position; or whom can't commit to the maintenance/upkeep of an "edgier" 'do.

So if something like these existed, would any mermaids (or mermen even!) buy them? Please let me know your guys' thoughts/opinions! :-)

Mermaid Star
03-24-2012, 03:54 AM
If they were affordable, yes

mermaidondine
03-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Yes, they would definitely be affordable since I'm able to get the hair in bulk. It might get a little expensive if someone wanted to purchase like, a whole custom set of extensions, but other than that I plan to price them very reasonably :-)

Gem Stone
03-24-2012, 05:53 PM
I would buy a green or blue one

Prince Calypso
03-24-2012, 09:05 PM
i would support that all the way. i would love a longer mor mermaid like look. i think the blue and purple would rock for me.

mermaidondine
03-25-2012, 01:00 AM
I'm glad to hear you guys would rock them! I'm definitely considering making some in the coming months to sell on my website :-)

Mermaid Lorelei
03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I like this idea. Beats bleaching your hair constantly to add color. XD

Prince Calypso
03-26-2012, 01:07 AM
you will be making the hair so that it works with mermaids of color as well? because even when my hair is straightened i have yet to find a hair extension that matches my hair type.

mermaidondine
03-26-2012, 02:20 AM
I like this idea. Beats bleaching your hair constantly to add color. XD

Exactly! I figure it would be an easier, cheaper, and HEALTHIER alternative to the time-consuming, costly, and damaging process that is bleaching/dying/styling one's own natural hair. Plus, it would be temporary, so they could be used for show, everyday wear if you so choose, or both.

I may offer half or 3/4 wigs as well with adorned crown or headband accessory to hide the seam/secure the wig in...

you will be making the hair so that it works with mermaids of color as well? because even when my hair is straightened i have yet to find a hair extension that matches my hair type.

Of course! I myself am a mer of color, although one likely would not guess it at first glance lol I'm very light-skinned, but I'm mixed--African, Irish, French, Puerto Rican, and Cherokee--and I was blessed/cursed with very thick, very curly hair, so I understand the difficulty that can come with finding the right extensions. I actually managed to find a curly human hair extension that matched my type the other day and JUST did a pinch braid/weave on my own hair today; and its pretty spot on. The only difference is that the extensions are just a shade lighter than my own, which doesn't bother me all that much. (I just need to throw a quick one-layer of brass banisher or toner on my natural and I'm set.) I checked out your photos to get a better look at what your hair looks like and I know I would definitely be able to find your curl type/texture at the beauty supply store that I go to, and since they would be your curl texture; if you straightened them they would likely mix with your straightened locks as well :-)

I know I was exhausted trying to find dyed extensions in my hair type, especially since everywhere that made them only made them in synthetic straight/slightly wavy, and being synthetic; I couldn't even corkscrew curl them to match mine. It was driving me crazy! So yes. I WILL be making extensions for mermaids/mermen of color as well, and would likely do custom pieces for folks too if need be :-D

Kanti
03-26-2012, 02:41 AM
That's a pretty smart idea :')
I've always wanted to dye the tips of my hair but I just assumed it was impossible
It'd be fun to have extensions to blend in with your hair naturally rather than those ones
you get from Hot Topic and Spencers that are straight up ONE COLOR (though I do like
those too, they're just not as natural/subtle).

You should totally let me know if you get around to making these, I'd totally love some :'D

Mermaid Sirena
03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
I would defiantly have to oder custom, at least when it comes to color :P It would be helpful as I'm trying to grow my hair out but it's going to take a while from how short my last hair but was.... Why do hair stylist not understand that cutting this || much is not the same as this | | -.- Hopefully I'll be able to afford them though.

Maple
03-29-2012, 12:44 AM
A catfish walk!

mermaidondine
03-31-2012, 03:00 AM
That's a pretty smart idea :')
I've always wanted to dye the tips of my hair but I just assumed it was impossible
It'd be fun to have extensions to blend in with your hair naturally rather than those ones
you get from Hot Topic and Spencers that are straight up ONE COLOR (though I do like
those too, they're just not as natural/subtle).

You should totally let me know if you get around to making these, I'd totally love some :'D

I know what you mean! I can't stand the ones hey make at Hot Topic and Spencer's. You can't even wear or style them if you have curly hair--it looks so weird to just have that one straight streak, y'know? But I will definitely let you know! In fact, if I do end up making a few; would you mind being a tester at all and wear/take some pictures in some of the product for me?

I would defiantly have to oder custom, at least when it comes to color :P It would be helpful as I'm trying to grow my hair out but it's going to take a while from how short my last hair but was.... Why do hair stylist not understand that cutting this || much is not the same as this | | -.- Hopefully I'll be able to afford them though.

I hear ya! I don't trust anyone except my mom with my hair! Lol! Of course. I definitely will be making them affordable for people :-D Would you be interested in testing some if I got around to making them as well?

Prince Calypso
03-31-2012, 03:05 AM
i'd love to test them out for you.
always wanted to be a model
* strikes a pose*
i wonder what the mermaid version of a catwalk would be lol

mermaidondine
04-03-2012, 02:58 PM
i'd love to test them out for you.
always wanted to be a model
* strikes a pose*
i wonder what the mermaid version of a catwalk would be lol

Yay! Okay cool. When the time comes, I may need you to send me some pictures of your hair so I can try and match it as best as possible for some test product :)

Prince Calypso
04-04-2012, 02:34 AM
ok

Jeblily
04-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Eeeeeeek that is so cool. I have always wanted to add a steak of color to my hair :yay: . Oh but how long could you make the extensions, my hair is about 27 inches long so could you make them between 25- 35 inches long? If you could....... :hail:

SireniaSolaris
04-07-2012, 06:08 AM

Oh, God, I know!
That's why I just started cutting my own hair. It's like they have an agenda to make sure everyone has short hair. Every time I wanted them to only take off an inch - just the split ends - they would do 3 or 4 inches. It would make me so mad! >:(

Jeblily
04-07-2012, 11:05 AM
http://mernetwork.com/index/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Mermaid Sirena http://mernetwork.com/index/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?p=17842#post17842)

Oh, God, I know!
That's why I just started cutting my own hair. It's like they have an agenda to make sure everyone has short hair. Every time I wanted them to only take off an inch - just the split ends - they would do 3 or 4 inches. It would make me so mad! >:(

I understand completely, I have been growing my hair out forever, and I had finally grown it to my waist an my mom made me cut it *sobs a little*. However after having a complete meltdown after getting my hair cut 5 inches once, I made it clear to my mom that I was either getting less than an inch taken off or no hair cut! Also if you tell the hairdresser how very much you dislike getting your haircut and only want to get rid of the split ends they are pretty understanding. My problem is that once you get it to a decent length it catches on things or it gets ripped out and you get lots of split ends. Urgh..... (I blame little sisters that pull it out)

Mermaid Sirena
04-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I hear ya! I don't trust anyone except my mom with my hair! Lol! Of course. I definitely will be making them affordable for people :-D Would you be interested in testing some if I got around to making them as well?

Oh goodness I didn't even see this until now! Yes I would certainly be willing to test them!

Spindrift
04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I'd be find with testing, I think.

Ilonka
04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I use extensions allot because my hair doesent grow.
I buy them on ebay, prices are really good and the selection is amazing. What i do is I buy a large pack of platinum extensions and i just dye the whatever color i want, i like it better than buying individual strands with the color already applied.
Here are some pics of me with my extensions:

Mermaid Dottie
04-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm going to be doing Pregnant Mermaid Pictures (because I wanna) and I've always thought a mer's tail should kinda match her hair. I was thinking of getting blue extensions for just a couple layers of hair...

Prince Calypso
04-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm getting my hair restraightened this weekend then i'll have pictures for you of my hair up close

MermaidAubrin
04-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I would definitely go for some!

I already wear extensions (From foxy locks) so a bit of color thrown in would be nice.

LittleTreasure
04-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Those pics are gorgeous! And I like this idea of the hair extensions. As well as having options for really long, hair, etc., do you think you could add options for short hair too? My hair barely reaches down to the nape of my neck right now (and that's only the back), but when it's all chin-length it'd be cool to put in some extensions and make it more colorful. Then again, I probably won't want to keep my hair at chin-length... but for those who like having short hair, I think it'd be nice to have that option.

laamberry
04-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I've been super into hair extensions lately, I'm jonesing to buy a few sets!

Nim
04-28-2012, 08:58 AM
http://mermaidondine.webs.com/mermaidhairex1.png

Oh jellyfish! I wish extensions like the last (in the right) pic! Green/blue *_* I love it!

Mermaid Rillia
04-30-2012, 03:59 AM
I want those aqua colored extensions! but there to get them???

Spindrift
05-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I found these on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisicStrands?ga_search_query=men&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_page=15&ga_search_type=handmade&ref=sr_gallery_8

mermaid hannah
05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
yea..this is a great idea i had me hair dyed just a little while ago, i had it dip dyed it purple (bleached underneath) and previous to that it was blue..my hair was a wreck, this would work really well. :)

Mermaid Saphira
08-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I think this is a fabulous idea!!! I would totally order some of these extensions. You said u r going to add jewels/shells/etc? I love it :D

Ayla of Duluth
08-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I found these on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisicStrands?ga_search_query=men&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_page=15&ga_search_type=handmade&ref=sr_gallery_8
those are so beautiful, but they're so expensive! :(

Mermaid Annariea
08-20-2012, 04:07 AM
ooohh, extensions would be awesome!