PDA

View Full Version : Having Cold Fins About Appearing At An Event...

Princess Kae-Leah
03-24-2012, 09:21 PM
I was all excited to appear at Washington Autism Day, but my Mama(a very wise person whose opinion I certainly value and respect) and I have discussed it, and she has pointed out some reasons why it may be possible that it may not turn out to be such a good fit for me after all. First of all, the gender demographics of autism are 80% male/20% female, and my act is geared primarily to girls. Second of all, children with autism can be very easily afraid and traumatized by things that most people would never be afraid of, like butterflies and kittens, and often have an EXTREMELY hard time understanding the difference between reality and fantasy, so I do not want to do anything that would scare or confuse them. On the other hand, Raina pointed out that 1) purple can be a soothing color for those with AS/autism, 2) children in general probably are usually less likely to freak out if they see a tail like mine that is clearly a costume and not a Hollywood SFX-quality prosthetic, and 3) so much is already geared to boys that it's a good thing to represent the feminine side of things. Any thoughts, advice, etc., for me?

Alveric
03-25-2012, 12:32 AM
I would tend to agree with Raina, but it's really up to how you feel. If you become so uncomfortable that you can't have a good time, it destroys the hobby part. On the other hand there is always an element of discomfort trying something new. Is the risk of discomfort worth the reward. I'd say yes, but again, it's truly up to you.

Alveric

Spindrift
03-25-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm sure that the festival would know what was appropriate and what wasn't so if you were invited/approved of by the festival I really wouldn't worry about that, unless there really is a dire need to...

Theta
03-25-2012, 06:51 PM
You could always ask to have them set you up a little bit out of the way (by which I mean, have an area roped off, and you're in that area.) That way people who aren't afraid can approach you, and the people who might be scared of you can be kept at a reasonable distance, so they won't trip over your tail and be startled. In my head I'm picturing something similar to the way they set up the Easter Bunny/Santa at malls.

Mermaid Sirena
03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Personally I lean more towards Raina's point of view but it really is up to you darling. Those are all excellent suggestions, I strongly suggest thinking on them. Everything I was going to say already has, so think about it and be confident in your decision.

Gem Stone
03-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I think that of they could see you at a distance, then they could choose to come closer or stay away

Taylor is a Mermaid
03-25-2012, 11:55 PM
I strongly agree with Raina's stance. It sounds like mom is trying to protect her baby and going a little mother hen on you; it is parents' jobs to warn you of possible consequences, but it is your job to try new things and be brave despite mom's worry. I 100% think you should go. This will be a growth experience for you and a chance to lift others in the AS community up with your unique talents. Take the proverbial plunge, and don't let the what ifs in life hold you back! :)

BlueMermaid
03-26-2012, 09:20 AM
In my experience, autistic boys love mermaids! And I don't mean just my son....when I work events, autistic boys are extremely interested in me.

SireniaSolaris
03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
In my experience, autistic boys have loved the idea of a "fish girl". The first time my little brother (age 6 with severe autism) saw my tail, he kept trying to pet it, and when I actually swam, he didn't want to leave the pool. Then, recently, I was swimming at a Gulf Resort and there were two autistic children there who proved to be my biggest fans, I think. They were one of the first people out there and of the last to leave.

Mermaid Sirena
03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Sense I think about it at a recent event there was a boy who I believe was autistic or had had some kind of mental difference, he was the sweetest thing ever all he wanted were hugs and always said hello when we came in proximity of each other and gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek when he had to go, I see him smiling as he left the pool.

Princess Kae-Leah
03-27-2012, 02:14 AM
Update on my professional status:
I have officially decided today that I would like to be strictly a NON-PROFIT mermaid activist, that is I will not be doing any paid mermaiding gigs, at least not for a very long time, for many personal reasons, some of which I'd rather not discuss on a public page. Due to Asperger's Syndrome (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspergers-Syndrome/114618035221590), I have many limitations, such as I cannot handle being around certain smells and foods, something I would have no control of as a professional entertainer. I've spent a pretty long time discussing my mermaiding possibilities with my mother, and we both decided that starting a business doing children's parties and other events would not be at all very practical idea for for me for several reasons, some purely logistical(i.e., I do not own a car and public transportation is very limited in my region, so I cannot travel very easily, and I live in kind of a rural area where the population isn't huge and the demand for mermaiding and other character performing is quite low).
Occasionally, I may be up for making a volunteer appearance at a non-profit event, such as Autism Day Washington (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autism-Day-Washington/136524913056878), but I am very limited in how far I can commute to an event and what times are convenient for me.
I think I had an unrealistic, romanticized view of what being an entertainer would truly be like. I thought I could easily make a halfway decent living playing my mersona or Alice In Wonderland (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alice-In-Wonderland/108558869174561) at kid's parties and other local events, after seeing how my own costumes are not that much better than what some pro entertainers wear and reading what their acts entail, but there's much to starting a business and getting it established that I had no clue about, and I didn't think through the social aspects of such a position.

Mermaid Sirena
03-27-2012, 02:43 AM
You can make a living doing it but you have to put a lot of time and effort into it before you really start making a profit and that's for an average entertainer with few to none restrictions. I think the fact that you are doing this even if it's as a non-proft and only occasionally is wonderful and I think you will meet a lot of wonderful people doing this! It's easy to think one thing and not realize all the details of making it work (lord knows I do this all the time for many of my own dreams).

BlueMermaid
03-27-2012, 09:35 AM
I think you and your mom have made a very wise decision. I think you will be very happy!