PDA

View Full Version : Star Fish Hair Clip, help?

Amethyst
03-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi :)

So a while ago I made this starfish hair clip out of polymer clay by using a mould (My first attempt at this) :) I tied it to the clip bit using cotton as I have no idea how else to do it! :$ I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how else I could attatch the actual star fish to the clip as it's a bit wobbly :confused: I can use it if I want to, as you can see in the pics, it is useable but I just need a better and tidier way of fixing stuff together!! lol :)

SweeteSiren
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Will hot glue adhere to polymer clay? If you run a bead or two along the length of the clip it should hold tight. Especially if you press the clip into the clay while it's still drying to make a pocket for it to fit into when it's done.

SireniaSolaris
03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
E6000?

Kanti
03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Glueing polymer clay is usually super annoying but it CAN be done.
You can use sandpaper to lightly scratch the surface of the clay piece where
you want to attach glue. Maybe sure you scratch it generously, since the grooves
you make are essentially going to help the glue anchor.

I've used gorilla glue without having to scratch and it sticks pretty well, but
polymer clay is just annoying. Maybe there's some sort of clay glue out there?

You could also garnish it a bit more. At michaels they tend to sell those little glass
beads, seashells, netting, and you can even go to the floral section and grab some
grass to use as seaweed :')

MermanMatty
03-26-2012, 12:35 PM
DO what I did, go to home depot get the clear sealant spray paint, get a real star fish, spray it down, then take a need and clear fishing line and get one of those small metal bendy hair clips, then make two holes and thread the line through and tie it off so the clip is tight but loose enough to put in and out of your hair. it worked for one of Eric's models, she wanted a hair piece so I made it really fast lol it worked good too! She was able to go under water with it and it was ok! :)

Mermaid Photine
03-26-2012, 09:02 PM
E6000 has always worked when repairing things I made out of sculpey. I second Sirenia.

Mermaid Sirena
03-26-2012, 10:58 PM
It depends on if you want it swimmable or not, hot glue will fall off in water due to temperature difference and water pressure. A real star fish will rehydrate when exposed to water, not sure how well a sealant would keep it separated from the water.

Which by the way that starfish looks awesome!

If you want it just for dry land Matty's suggestion sound solid or the beads and hot glue should work well.

Amethyst
03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks everyone!! :D These are great ideas! :) I have never even heard of E6000 before, is it a kind of glue????? :$ lol
I'm not going to be wearing this in the water, it's for dry land only ;)
Thanks for the real starfish idea but I'm a bit of a psycho vegetarian, no dead animals thanks! lol :no-no: :D

Winged Mermaid
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
From what I've heard E6000 is really toxic. I remember Iara commenting on it because that's what she used to make her top that she wore to the WMAs. That's all I know about it though :P I've created hair clips using gorilla glue and fishing line and it worked perfectly! Sometimes it's finding the right glue for the right job, and you have to try a few before you find it. Example- I've learned when it comes to actual seashells that are broken, the best glue for that is epoxy, and I think I tried out 5 glues before I figured that out. Even superglue or gorilla glue won't hold a broken shell together, but epoxy will! Good luck!

Spindrift
03-27-2012, 03:52 PM
From what I've heard E6000 is really toxic.

I thought it was only toxic while it was curing/wet?

Winged Mermaid
03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
I thought it was only toxic while it was curing/wet?

I just know what I heard from a few people on it, and that's it :P Iara seems to know her stuff and she mentioned it a few times so I thought I'd go ahead and throw it in there. But really I personally know nothing about the stuff.

Mermaid Photine
03-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Just make sure have a ventilated area when you use E6000. It really reeks.

theoceanblue
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Hot glue for sure!