PDA

View Full Version : Kajinker!!!

Mermaasai
03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
I did find this today and posted it on another thread but I didnt want it to get lost so I made a thread for it.
Its called the Kajinker (link below) it makes me think that using it would be a super easy way to attach sequins to a tail, you would have to line the tail with another piece of fabric though, the little plastic T's would probably be super annoying to rub against. Or you could have the outer fabric you attach the sequins to, be a sheath fabric and sew it with the neoprene when you sew it to fit..

http://www.ka-jinker.com/

Plus the little ball of the T thingy would lift the sequins above it just a little bit, to give it more texture and depth..

Mermaid Sirena
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
I wonder do you have to use Kajinker sequins? Will it hold up underwater? If no and yes you may of just revolutionized fabric/sequin tail making.

Merman Chris
03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Very interesting.....Shell has been kicking around the idea of attempting a Hannah style sequin tail, and frankly I'm terrified. I do the vacuuming at our house.

Mermaid Sirena
03-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Glitter and sequens do tend to be the never ending plagues of the craft world, you have good cause to be frightened for I know many crafters and it looks as though pixies used their homes for brothels. o_0

Merman Chris
03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Pixies used their homes for brothels. I think that's my favorite thing I have heard all week.

Mermaasai
03-26-2012, 05:47 PM
^ I'm gonna have to second that...

The kajinker seems like it has a universal sequins hole diameter but I could be wrong... if not, if the holes of the off brand sequins are smaller no biggie, I think you could probably just force the needle through them, if the holes are bigger, as long as they dont slip off the nob at the end of the T then its not big deal, you'll have more movement in the scales.
And it looks like replacing any lost scales if they happen wont be hard with the kajinker.
I think that using a fairly thick fabric is best though, I think it would be great with neoprene as it is so thick and threads wont separate to lose the sequins and T, anything very tightly woven would probably work best.

Kanti
03-26-2012, 07:00 PM
I actually have no idea how those things work. I always had the idea that they heat up glue and
apply it to the crystal/gem then punch it onto whatever it is you're working on.
If so, I'd imagine it would last pretty well?

Mermaasai
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
What you are thinking of Kanti is a bedazzler.
Those are heat/glue based little irons that set the stone on the fabric with heated/melted glue.

The Kajinker is a little more like... like when you go to the store to buy a shirt and it has that tag attached to it with the little plastic string that they punch through the material. You rip the tags off when you get home..
The kajinker is just using a miniature version of that plastic string that holds the sequins tight against the material (or at least fairly tight depending upon the thickness of the material)

I tried the bedazzler method with the spandex I made my fabric tail out of and some little bedazzler gems and it works like a dream, it bonded very well for a glue based option.
BUT if you wanted to do sequins with out having to hand sew or glue them precariously, I think this makes for an awesome alternative.

Kanti
03-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh I see
Damn. I guess I was just too into bedazzling xD

Ayla of Duluth
03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
this thread reminded me of a quote I heard from a classmate of mine one day.
"glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts!"
and she furiously tried shaking off all the glitter i had spilled on her. woops. xD

Mermaid Sirena
03-26-2012, 10:33 PM
It is, apparently it is also known as stripper dust to some clients of Michael's and very confused employees ^_^