PDA

View Full Version : The Monster Makers?

Ayla of Duluth
03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I found this in my favorites, and I don't know where I got it from, but seeing as it's latex, I guessed it was from a mernetwork thread somewhere.

http://www.monstermakers.com/product/RD407-Mask-Latex.html

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of latex? It says it's specifically for casting into gypsum molds, but do you think it could be used for brushing onto a neoprene tail? Also, would this product hold up well in water? I read somewhere that mask making latex isn't good for water, but I just want to be sure. Latex and silicone are things that are basically a completely foreign concept to me, I hardly ever go into places like Home Depot or other hardware stores, so there's a lot of terminology that I don't know. If this latex wouldn't work, what do you guys think would be the best latex to use?

OrcaMatt
04-01-2012, 05:15 PM
It's funny, Everybody Knows(tm) that Dragon Skin(tm) is the Silicone of Choice for tails, but we haven't really settled on a latex.

Mermaid Lorelei
04-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Dr. Seaweed used RD-407 for his tail tutorial. Whether or not it holds up well, I can't say.

Ayla of Duluth
04-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Orca, I've been following another member on this forum [can't remember the name for the life of me] but he called the RD-407 a rubber instead of a latex. and when he showed us cured samples of it, it was solid grey. not white, not transparent. So that leads me to believe it is in fact, a rubber. But I've never worked with it so I probably shouldn't make assumptions.